IGNORED

All Things E

ESokoloff

11 hours ago, Hosstage said:

$12,000.

For a Scooter.

This almost makes the GS look pretty.

BMW-CE-04-Top-Gear.thumb.jpg.cc0ec6bff6e94b732ed423b4b8da1807.jpg

Spend a bit more (Ok, more then double) & get what you Really want….

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

It’s been awhile….

Insuring independence from Chiiiinaaa for lithium is a good thing. 

And Tesla breaks ground on a new Lithium refinery in Texas. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Don't know if you saw this Eric.....but it is F9 so here we go!

Yeah, he hits on some solid facts.

E motorcycles are limited on range at high speeds due to bad aerodynamics. 
You can ride far or fast but must pick one. 
With any new technology companies are going to jockey for positions & many will fail but this is not exclusive for E motorcycles. 
I expected energy density of batteries to have substantially increased by now (2x+) but that hasn’t happened.  
Until this happens E motorcycles will continue to have a relatively limited market share.  
With all the drawbacks, EV ownership has worked quite will for me. 
It’s the future not the present but I jumped in 6 yrs ago in part to insure I got a taste of things to come (& smoke ICE vehicles off the line):thumbsup:

9 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

It’s the future not the present but I jumped in 6 yrs ago in part to insure I got a taste of things to come (& smoke ICE vehicles off the line):thumbsup:

Hehehe, I was once told, "i'll beat you in a sprint",....I replied, "ya, but can you hang on a 12 miler",.....silence.  I'll take endurance over the short run any day.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I'll take endurance over the short run any day.

You don’t know what you don’t know:bike:

30 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

You don’t know what you don’t know:bike:

Alls I know is neither 'lectric car, truck or motorcycle can meet my needs.

Car and truck, I need 1k miles in under 14 hours (NC to LA trips).  Motorcycle, I would need guarantee of 100 mile commute at 75% interstate speeds 80+mph.  From what I've read, they ain't there yet.  When they get there, I may change my tune.

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

lectric car, truck or motorcycle can meet my needs

I am same.  My coastal trips with boat attached are 360 miles plus local driving. I’m usually running 70-75mph. The Ford Lightning seems to be among the best of the bunch and it doesn’t work. Range is less than 150 with load. 

I wish Moores Law applied to batteries. If I replaced ICE with electric, I would have to keep one ICE for my needs. That is an additional expense of the truck, insurance, etc. 

Wife could get close as her frequent trips to Dallas are 300 miles, but I wouldn’t want her to stop on interstate to juice up late at night. Her ICE range is about 425. 

Im not opposed or against, just not there yet. Maybe nuclear like ships who fuel every 15 years. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

The Ford Lightning

Since that's a truck I'm thinking a diesel generator in the bed as a range extender?????:dontknow:

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Jay takes a Tesla semi for a spin 

(Warning, long [but interesting] video alert) 

I watch what’s going on in the background as much if not more then what’s going on in the foreground & thus able to identify where the trailer is picked up/dropped off (use street view) 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Tfpe6J1HTr9dEbax7?g_st=ic

as well as the turnaround point 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/YH1V7wmh2WV3fGaT9?g_st=ic

Note that the Rodney King beating took place nearby the turn around & also note the traffic control measures at play in the background.  

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

What’s not to like?
Besides Zero (see what I did) armor? 

Will this limit the effectiveness of this vehicle? 
Maybe an EV Razor (type) of vehicle would be more suitable? 
I think if I were in battle it would be the one time I was glad to be in a cage. 

12 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

What’s not to like?
Besides Zero (see what I did) armor? 

Will this limit the effectiveness of this vehicle? 
Maybe an EV Razor (type) of vehicle would be more suitable? 
I think if I were in battle it would be the one time I was glad to be in a cage. 

Most of Recon Marines missions involve,....get this,.....recon, as in reconnaissance of the area, not always direct combat actions, although they are prepared and do have those direct action missions.  Think of Recon Marines as SeALs, Green Berets, SF types.  While not getting the "glory news", the Recon guys do the same activities.  Marine Corps also reactivated the Raider Battalions.  For the longest, USMC kept the Recon guys out of USSOCOM to have internal control over its own people, that changed in the early aughts when the USMC created its internal SOC and integrated into USSOCOM.  

I'm not too keen on the 'lectric bike in the battlefield.  The vast majority of vehicles are designed to run on damn near any fuel.  Third world countries would have a better diesel availability for a quick fix rather than a wait for charge thing.  I dunno, depends very much on the mission and threat assessment of the area to make the determination on what vehicle to use.

In Iraq 2004, our Recon guys brought their IFAVs with them in country, those vehicles got parked and limited to on FOB use only as they weren't heavy duty enough for the terrain.  This was before "up armored" HWWMVs were being produce and the Recon guys preferred using the thin skinned heavier hummers over the IFAVs.  BTW, IFAVs are a blast to drive!!

That particular model (FX) has removable batteries so that alleviates some range anxiety (provided spare fresh batteries are readily available). 

Obviously no ICE emissions (heat included) is a great advantage but the same could be done in a small heavily modified ATV that increases survivability when things go South.  

Per your link, these bikes are easily deployed so that’s a huge advantage over anything else 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
John Ranalletta
54 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Will it haul dirt?

One of the promo vids shows an excavator dumping a bucketful into the bed.  So there!  Getting it in is not the problem.  Getting it out with a sandbox shovel might be.

Edit:  I didn't realize the it had a dropping tailgate.

image.png.2dd878431cd1cc1f5a0d8c423d581403.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ESokoloff said:

Why wouldn’t it be able too?

It’s haul capacity is 2,500#

Because all the talk is about how fast it is and how nice it steers. I don't see it being a contractor favorite.

9 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

What percentage of pickups are owned by Pro’s?

Probably a small percentage, but that number will look huge compared to the number of cybers put into that role. I personally know quite a few truck owners that use them professionally. I'm pretty sure that in 10 years I will know none that have owned the cyber.

I have done no research on it, barely skimmed thru the review above, does it have any of the features of current ICE (and some ev) trucks that have been designed for actual work? Step up bumpers for easier access to the box? Extra storage spaces? Tie downs?

It just does not appeal to me, so I know nothing about it other than it's fast.

You won’t be able to change the bed to a work type but who knows what will be produced in the future.  
I know at one time Elon was talking about an EV van & that would be easier to convert into a work vehicle. 

The CyborTruck does accommodate hauling 4x8 sheets of material albeit with the tailgate down (the bed is 4x6 with the tailgate up). 
Yes it does have tie-down points in the bed as well as 120 & 240 VAC outlets so no generator or long cords required.  
The built in retractable tonneau cover will (help) secure the bed & will hold 300# of weight so you could stand on it if need be (or at least I could). 
We’ll have to wait & see what add-on’s will be offered to help transform it into a more capable work vehicle. 

I as hoping it would have a mid gate like my Chevy Avalanche but maybe they will offer one in the future. 
Initially it was to have a ramp built into the tailgate but that didn’t make it into this 1st version.  
No talk of it being able to float (as in watercraft) as had been hinted at pre-production. 
It will have adjustable suspension for a max ground clearance of 17” (yet be able to squat for easier access) as well as rear steering so it turns tighter then a Tesla Model S for ease of negotiating tight spots. 
The front trunk (Frunk) will come in handy for additional storage space. 

This version likely won’t attract a lot of pro’s but latter versions will be less expensive & who knows, maybe specifically built for construction/service sectors.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

What percentage of pickups are owned by Pro’s?

Contractors and pros aren't needed for someone to haul stuff in their trucks.  Everyone I know with a pickup, hauls stuff, from rock to heavy equipment, only weirdos buy a truck and don't use the bed for its intended purposes:grin: 

I still wouldn't get this one as it is butt crack ugly to the point of tacky ugly,....I don't care if it was built with wind in mind, its an ugly truck.

• Like 1

The future is gonna happen, but $100K+ for a "pickup truck" which looks like a prop from a George Jetson cartoon makes me grin.

Wonder the cost of a new tire for that wallowing beast;

Why would we need a "pickup truck" that goes 0-60mph in 2.6 seconds to get to the next traffic light?;

Reckon my Tundra suits my needs, and it's paid for.......

Signed:  a luddite who still likes the wind in his face.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

its an ugly truck.

So’s my Chevy Avalanche that’s served me well for the past two decades. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

So’s my Chevy Avalanche that’s served me well for the past two decades. 

Yep, that is a ugly truck and glad it served you well, but I wouldn't get it.  Akin to getting a Pontiac Aztec on the beauty side of things.  There is a limit to my function over form:grin:

But then again, my next truck might be:

D74397-ACRR78_2763-scaled.thumb.webp.dd67a50f3a94f0824a827a8d9db028d0.webp

• Like 1

My truck is ugly too, but that's because of rust, lack of cleaning, general malaise regarding upkeep. It really is only used for hauling crap and some winter driving. At least the duct tape covering the bottom of the door rust hole matches pretty close to the paint color. Well, not so much a hole, as just plain missing 1/2 a door panel. 

Maybe the cyber should be on my list, no rust with the stainless!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Maybe the cyber should be on my list, no rust with the stainless!

But can still corrode

632322-ebb464b4453493419e7ed593e2cadcd7.thumb.jpg.120aff08df7d39b32bc536c22fa65e1d.jpg

Now beryllium copper may have been a better choice:grin:  But it'd slightly raise the price point

• Smile 1
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

But can still corrode

Not all Stainless is created equal. 
That said I don’t know the properties of Tesla’s proprietary mixture (they developed it for the truck). 

Is that a pipe flange in the image? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think of today's electric cars and charging systems as BetaMax.  VHS, DVD, memory sticks, and streaming will be along shortly.

Seriously think this path of electric will die with all the mining, precious metals, coal required, short range, long charge, and impossibly short range if towing.

I'm starting to watch hydrogen development.  A long way to go, but it might be the ticket.

• Like 2

Just watched this video on replacement battery for a Hyundai IONIQ 5.  It's Canadian dollars, but converted to US it's $47,000.  Owners are totaling out the car when the battery needs to be replaced.  I googled it to see if I was being pranked, but turns out apparently true.  The video is long but you can get the jest in first 2 minutes.