IGNORED

All Things E

ESokoloff

1 minute ago, TEWKS said:

So David, you’re saying I couldn’t fly it to my favorite BBQ joint then? :dontknow:

Pat, Im sure you could fly it there but the question is could you fly it back home without violating the weight limitation :dopeslap:

• Haha 2

Salad time. No Q. Unlike an ICE airplane you can adjust fuel for weight. Not sure how much an amp weighs. I suspect not many of us would fit round trip. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wasn't allowed to ride the mechanical horse in front of the department store either.

"Sorry son, you're just a little too big for that ride. Let's go over to the husky section of clothes."

I was 4.

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

Husky, a nice way of saying PUT DOWN THE TWINKIES! :classic_biggrin: No, it has to suck starting out life on the heavy side, no place to go but up! :4316: 

I’m not being mean but today’s heavy kids almost always have heavy parents. Not rocket science I know.

• 2 weeks later...
Dennis Andress
On 2/17/2022 at 9:28 PM, ESokoloff said:

An electric hydrofoil boat that uses up to 80% less energy then a conventional (non-hydrofoil) boat. 

A bit expensive but exciting what the future holds.  

https://electrek.co/2022/02/16/watch-the-first-flight-of-candelas-upcoming-c-8-flying-electric-boat-ahead-of-full-scale-production/

I'm sorry but that thing is fugly.

9 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I'm sorry but that thing is fugly.

And Spindly so likely to have a niche market  especially with that price tag.   

How about a Grauss rifle (rail gun)?
https://youtu.be/eAHKS0nVlL4

Note the usage of a 3/8” drop-in concrete anchor as a projectile.

In my opinion the gun needs a faster firing rate in order to be practical but this offering is a compromise (weight vs functionality).

The sky’s the limit for a mounted/military version. 

All in all, neat to see the future today. 

https://arcflashlabs.com/product/gr-1-anvil/

I just read a review of the Rivian truck. It took a second time reading before I found this feature: no rear bumper. So no way to step up and handle cargo in the box with the gate up. There is a cargo hold on each side of the box near the cab that has a fold down door that acts as a step, so at least you can scratch the side of the box reaching over.

And no one ever hits anything lightly when backing, so no need for a bumper to protect bodywork.

I'm sure the drive train is nice, it is powerful and fast, but as a functional truck, it has some shortcomings.

Towing a trailer it got much less than 100 miles on a full charge, so until the charging network gets up to snuff, it won't replace the heavier gassers and diesels.

Pickups are popular these days & under utilized (sorta like a GS).

The purchaser won’t be using them as a work vehicle so the bed won’t need but occasional access.  

Here’s a story on a front end crash that occurred a few weeks ago. 

Ya, occasional, dem damn groceries do slide all the way to the front if you don't "build" a compartment in the back of the bed.

I've done this type of thing since our first truck.

Not mine, but same set up.,.......there's a reason those nifty grooves are on the sidewalls.

2x8 bed divider - My Thanksgiving Mod! LoL.. - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum

And since we're talking street queen trucks,.....how's the owner supposed to get in and wash the roof with no "step"

1 hour ago, ESokoloff said:

Pickups are popular these days & under utilized

That may be true for some, but not in my case.  Mine is used constantly as a truck and I'm retired.  Never in construction or a need for a work truck...Where else would I put fishing poles that are 7'6".  Seriously we do use it a lot.  My wife and I were talking about it today.  I kind of gotta a hankering for a 718 boxter.  The challenge is the way the driveway and garage are set up.  Something would have to sit in the driveway....car, truck, ,motorbike, boxter...and that is a deterrent in Houston area.  Who knows.  Maybe the feeling will pass.....or not.

6 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

That may be true for some, but not in my case.  Mine is used constantly as a truck and I'm retired.  Never in construction or a need for a work truck...Where else would I put fishing poles that are 7'6".  Seriously we do use it a lot.  My wife and I were talking about it today.  I kind of gotta a hankering for a 718 boxter.  The challenge is the way the driveway and garage are set up.  Something would have to sit in the driveway....car, truck, ,motorbike, boxter...and that is a deterrent in Houston area.  Who knows.  Maybe the feeling will pass.....or not.

I do agree with Eric that they are underutilized.  C'mon David, you live in Texas,....aren't you guys issued a pickup at birth?, yet many, like Jeeps, are not used for their intended purpose, which, in my opinion, trucks need to haul stuff in the bed or pull heavy shiat, Jeeps need to get off road,....really off road and beat up hard.  Both my truck and my wife's truck have bed dents (something about throwing large rocks will do that).

Too many street queen trucks I see on the road have nary a scratch in their beds, kinda like too many Jeeps I see don't have scratches or dents on that sheetmetal, which shows lack of intended use, like my GSA (not opposed to it, just haven't gone there yet).

The vast majority of these utility vehicles are bought "for looks" or "status".  One of the guys here at work picked himself up a King Ranch, lifted, 37"s on it, so I queried him about 'froading it,....he emphatically denied that he ever would.  So's I ask, you don't mind spending $2k plus every couple of years on tire, $$ on ball joints, $$$ excess wear and tear on the vehicle 'cause of the heavier tires and more fuel......"but it looks good" he says.  Not to mention, when I asked about regearing to compensate for the larger tires, "nah".

So, back to the truck at hand, the Rivian,.....it'll be a street queen, with a limited "few" that actually put heavy junk in the bed and a limited few that actually hook a boat up to the rear end and haul it for a day trip. 

When they get the mileage range within time constraints of a gasser or diesel rig, I'll contemplate them (EVs), until then, nothing more than a weekend toy or commuter.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Jeeps, are not used for their intended purpose

You will appreciate this.  About a month ago there was a 2 Door Jeep (wrangler I think - I'm not up on my jeeps) pulling a 24' fishing boat.  Top down, doors off...freezing their butts off.  He proceeded to line up to the ramp and back down.  I looked over and heard tires screeching and smoke bellowing out.  That boat dragged him down the ramp and didn't stop until the boat floated.  Fortunately for him water just came up to the back of the jeep but very little got in.  He dumped the boat and pulled out. I didn't stick around to see how he was going to retrieve it.  He said he had it in 4wheel low.  When the brakes wouldn't stop it he goosed it...didn't matter.  Boat won.

30 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

pickup at birth

Actually you can't vote in Texas unless you can prove you own a truck.

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

You will appreciate this.  About a month ago there was a 2 Door Jeep (wrangler I think - I'm not up on my jeeps) pulling a 24' fishing boat.  Top down, doors off...freezing their butts off.  He proceeded to line up to the ramp and back down.  I looked over and heard tires screeching and smoke bellowing out.  That boat dragged him down the ramp and didn't stop until the boat floated.  Fortunately for him water just came up to the back of the jeep but very little got in.  He dumped the boat and pulled out. I didn't stick around to see how he was going to retrieve it.  He said he had it in 4wheel low.  When the brakes wouldn't stop it he goosed it...didn't matter.  Boat won.

Spent a little time in TX recently.  Lots of p/u owners take very good work trucks and pimp them out - Pavement Princesses.  Had a few of their grills in my rear view mirror at speed.

Meh, Wranglers have drain plugs in the body,....I know, I had to use them.

When stationed in Agony, Ga, there were some little sand dunes near the town.  My daughter wanted to go riding, so a buddy and I head to the dunes.  My 2k Jeep was bone stock at the time but alls I was doing was riding some hills and treading water.  Nothing fancy, daughter was 5-6ish at the time.  So, she points at a big span of water and wants to head into it, I oblige my little girl and start through the water, bottom drops, so rather than trying to stop and back up, I throttle it a wee bit more to see if I can push through, nope, bottom drops further and Jeep stalls.  Now, this Jeep isn't that old, mebbee a year to 1.5 at the time, many folks wouldn't even think about thrashing a vehicle that new.  Anyway, when the Jeep stalled, I call my buddy over, hand him my daughter through the window 'cause water covered the hump.  I climb out, pop the hood and there's a sheen of water over the engine, I look in the air intake, yep, water in that too.  My thought was hydrolocked the engine.  So, we yank her out, I proceed to lift the carpet and pop the drain plugs to let all the water out.  I give it a few minutes to let any water drain from the engine area.  Bump the starter a few times, then go for broke, Jeep fires up just fine, blast water out the tailpipe that had gathered in the muffler.  Get my daughter and drive home.  Pull all the carpet and let the Jeep air out.

Next day, the family piles in the Jeep to head to town, Jeep stutters like crazy.  I had the wife take the Jeep to the dealer the following day.  Throttle Position Sensor was bad, so, replaced under warranty.  You could clearly see the water line in the engine bay.  A few days after that, crank it up, and it's making a racket.  Wife again brings it it to dealer, A/C compressor clutch was bad, replaced under warranty.  Why the wife bring the Jeep, simple, I's active duty and kinda hard to skip out during the day.

Anyway, they do handle being flooded out fairly well.

I can see that.

jeepsubmerged 3.JPG

My pickup sits in the driveway waiting to haul stuff or tow stuff. It rarely gets driven just to use as transportation. '02 GMC, bought it in 2014 with 214,000 miles on it, it now has 227,000 miles on it. It's rusty, so much so that towing safely might be reaching its end. But it's long paid for, runs great, all new brakes, and I mean ALL new (stupid rust) and a replacement is way too expensive right now. So, I will continue to abuse it until I can't. No modifications, just bone stock, sometimes it gets washed, battery gets charged every couple months.

I had a Jeep, brand new '85 CJ7. They weren't as many on the road as there are now, a mostly rare bird. Damn I had fun in that thing. I had forgotten about the floor plugs until Rougs mentioned it, pulled those a few times. Buried in the mud, forced to climb unnecessary hills, doors and top off almost all summer. When weather and situations were right, it was the most fun you could have with your clothes on. When winter hit, it was mostly a miserable sob. The speedo could easily be disconnected by just reaching up under the dash and unscrewing the cable, if one were so inclined, they could put about 100,000 miles on it and trade it in with 40,000. If one were so inclined...

Who knows, they might sell a ton of those. Decent range, decent but not overwhelming power, practical room, comfort, and utility. Not a Prius.

As I've mentioned before, an EV would meet 90% of most needs, and an electric truck would probably work very well for me, my long haul towing days are mostly behind me. But it needs a rear bumper.....

Airstream is now adding EV style batteries to a trailer. The 22' model that closely approximates this new one is the Caravel which is not going to keep you off grid that long because its capacities are 23 gallons fresh water, 30g gray, and 17g black. The 22' Caravel is around eighty thousand and its limited two AGM batteries and one 90w panel was an additional $2100. So if they are adding 27 kWh batteries and a full canopy of solar panels I am going to assume the price is double of that of the Caravel and packaging is going to be interesting to keep the three water tanks and existing storage the model had. Plus the Caravel had a 800lb capacity.  That 27 kWh may have been charging speed (8:10 in the video)

The neat part is moving the trailer on its own, you can park it, move, etc, all without being attached to the tow vehicle

I would not mind owning a Rivian but I really do not want to spend 70k on something with wheels. The ID.Buzz will need a larger battery to have any chance in the US and supposedly we get the longer wheel base model with a bigger than 77kWh battery.

I pay off my Tesla Model 3 this week... and that was a $56,700 + taxes. Throw in the $2,000 I added on later paying for FSD while getting the driving computer upgraded. First car in nearly a decade I have never looked to replace.

We added an AWD ID.4 to compliment
our two ICE vehicles. Surprisingly the
ID.4 is cheaper to insure than our 5
year old VW Sportwagon. We easily
stay within a 80 mile radius of home
so take advantage of our 11 cent
@kwh rate to charge at home and
augment that with free Electrify
America charging when going on road
trips. Did I mention the $7500 tax
credit we were able to take advantage
of? I'm only illustrating that everyone's
math is going to be different so everyone has to
run their own numbers but in our case
a EV was a no-brainer. I've also got a
small hedge on spikes in gas prices.
The only drawbacks I see currently are
relative immaturity of manufacturers
software and the possibility that every
driver in the household may not be
tech intuitive and therefore not as
receptive to utilize the EV. P.S. I love
going through drive through
restaurants and not fumigating my
surroundings and enjoying some quiet
serenity.

Wow!  More electric pickup trucks.   Pretty cool looking, too.   It seems to be getting competitive out there.   

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
I’m moving this discussion into this thread for a bit of housekeeping (continuity)
From Rougarou yesterday at 04:16 AM
   On 3/1/2022 at 6:54 PM,  ESokoloff said: 

Would like to know how/why you think that seeings the only EV with off-road capabilities is the Rivian  R1T but let’s move it to 

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/102222-all-things-e/

Here, let me say it again. but just like the horse and rider can get places a ICE can't get, an ICE will be able to get places a 'lectric can't get.

I can lift an engine to give me better angles, I can lift a transmission to give me better angles, I tucked my tranny and transfer case flush/above the frame rails of my Jeep and put 1/4" skid plate that I softball dented in several places.  My next iteration would have been to extend the wheelbase about five inches.  

You have, on most of the off road EVs, a skateboard battery pack that sits right at the bottom.  good luck modifying all that advancement in technology to get on anything other than bunny trails and access roads.  Before you try to point out that Rivian on Hell's Revenge, many stock ICE vehicles pulled that gig off.

EVs are coming, there's no stopping that and I'm not against it, but there are things that you will not be able to do with an EV that you can with a ICE, just as there are things you can't do with and ICE that you can with a horse and just as there are things you can't do with a horse but your own two feet can do.

Good luck buying an off the shelf EV that can do this wink-wink-nod-nod

fourteenfour
6 hours ago, ESokoloff said:
I’m moving this discussion into this thread for a bit of housekeeping (continuity)
From Rougarou yesterday at 04:16 AM
   On 3/1/2022 at 6:54 PM,  ESokoloff said: 

Would like to know how/why you think that seeings the only EV with off-road capabilities is the Rivian  R1T but let’s move it to 

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/102222-all-things-e/

You have, on most of the off road EVs, a skateboard battery pack that sits right at the bottom.  good luck modifying all that advancement in technology to get on anything other than bunny trails and access roads.  Before you try to point out that Rivian on Hell's Revenge, many stock ICE vehicles pulled that gig off.

EVs are coming, there's no stopping that and I'm not against it, but there are things that you will not be able to do with an EV that you can with a ICE, just as there are things you can't do with and ICE that you can with a horse and just as there are things you can't do with a horse but your own two feet can do.

Good luck buying an off the shelf EV that can do this wink-wink-nod-nod

As EVs are just starting to come out in some selection and greater numbers it should have been easy to realize that they are not as restricted in design options that ICE vehicles are. Motors can be located about anywhere to include the wheels themselves, batteries can similarly be located where as needed and best of all they will always be able to move around more quietly and without the smell that even the cleanest and quietest ICE can manage.

The same limits on EVs now held true when ICE vehicles first started to displace steam. It just takes some more time and imagination but in the end the incredible flexibility will allow for vehicles ICE could never obtain

The Rivian has four motors with the ability to work independently like a skid steer or tank to pivot 360° in place. That would make parking just a little easier.

• 2 weeks later...

The CEO of Lucid Motors shows their battery tech as well as discussing electrical & thermal  fundamentals.

Its a bit long but very informative. 

• 4 weeks later...
Yesterday Tesla celebrated the opening of Giga Texas & had an updated Cybertruck on display.  

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybe...-rodeo-teaser/

Really hoping to purchase one when my number comes up (Reservation that is).

Anyone want to purchase a lovingly used, life proven better part of a Century Kidney?
My wife knows how bad I want this truck & besides, she has two (Kidneys).

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Looks like fun.

That really does look like fun.  I wonder what it flies like with an engine (motor) out?

On 2/5/2022 at 9:36 AM, TEWKS said:

So David, you’re saying I couldn’t fly it to my favorite BBQ joint then? :dontknow:

You might exceed the max GVW then.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The F-150 Lightning is being delivered to customers.

Heres a few videos.  

• 4 weeks later...