IGNORED

Buying my first BMW...an R1150RT...sitting for 3 years need some guidance please

Kilohertz

Warren Dean
1 hour ago, Kilohertz said:

Thanks David,

The grip puppies had been mention but not the gel gloves...I'll have a look for those as well.

cheers

I have some Olympias and I love them.

And since you come from a cruiser background, you might take a look at this. It helped me a lot once I tried it. It's called Master Yoda's Riding Position and it works.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2737

• Like 1

Thanks Warren,

I read a portion of it today while on a break...interesting thoughts... I will have to finish it soon...back to work again tomorrow...get 1 day off this weekend....I want to go riding...

cheers

14 hours ago, Warren Dean said:

I have some Olympias and I love them.

Do you happen to have a model #? I searched their catalog but didn't see gloves.

thx

Kilohertz,

Bar-end weights can help with the handle bar vibration - changes the harmonics.  ThrottleMiester adds a throttle brake (cruise control) to the weight option.

image.png.4f57e0d0d2cdc3b72dd94a5a9297384d.png

image.png.0b2e52d629f8add526f2e016a5854729.png

4 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Kilohertz,

Bar-end weights can help with the handle bar vibration - changes the harmonics.  ThrottleMiester adds a throttle brake (cruise control) to the weight option

My bike has some stainless looking bars weights already, not sure if they are stock. See pic.

Warren, thx for the link, odd they aren't in the catalog I have for Olympia.

cheers

bar weight.jpg

• Like 1

Every time I look into something on this bike, I find something a little odd...like these bar ends, they are different. I thought one was just missing its decorative sleeve but I removed them both and found them completely different. Stainless weighs 374g, black one weighs 418g, probably a good way to get a resonance going. :5146:

The stainless one has a sleeve and washer in it, but doesn't rotate.

I'll research what is available but I would think it best of they were balanced. Is there anything wrong with the factory weights?

Thanks

IMG_0246.thumb.JPG.24ef0b5454a99d15dc123cc02dcec084.JPG

IMG_0247.thumb.JPG.bc878c3cdfb37ccf6759ba803dbee445.JPG

Warren Dean
21 minutes ago, Kilohertz said:

Every time I look into something on this bike, I find something a little odd...like these bar ends, they are different. I thought one was just missing its decorative sleeve but I removed them both and found them completely different. Stainless weighs 374g, black one weighs 418g, probably a good way to get a resonance going. :5146:

I'll research what is available but I would think it best of they were balanced. Is there anything wrong with the factory weights?

Thanks

IMG_0246.thumb.JPG.24ef0b5454a99d15dc123cc02dcec084.JPG

IMG_0247.thumb.JPG.bc878c3cdfb37ccf6759ba803dbee445.JPG

The factory weights work well. You have half of a Throttle Meister. Kind of odd. The right one rotates into the grip end with friction to hold the throttle. I love mine for the long straight stretches on the highway.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Warren Dean said:

You have half of a Throttle Meister. Kind of odd.

1 hour ago, Kilohertz said:

'll research what is available but I would think it best of they were balanced. Is there anything wrong with the factory weights?

Nothing wrong with the factory set up, but to my eye the throttlemeister looks better and with an operable right side, the throttle lock is handy ... ( I had them on my '99RT and have another set on my wife's Can-AM)

Marker Machine Inc stopped making the throttlemeister a few years ago, so  finding a matching right side may prove an interesting task ... EBay might be a source if you go that way.

Yes, the PO lost the right one and bought the Throttlemeister left left side as a replacement (or some variation thereof).  That black end is the OEM bar-end, I believe.

I lost the operating parts of the right side TM on my K12RS.  Had to buy a complete set.  Again.  $100 USD.

To Anyone who has a Throttlemeister

LOCKTITE the end screw!!  NOW!!  It's the easy AND cheap way.

So, put the computer mouse down and go right out to the bike and apply the Locktite (guessing blue?) to the end screw, right this very minute!  Lowndes means it, by golly.  Right now!  Do it.  :revit:

1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

LOCKTITE the end screw!!  NOW!!  It's the easy AND cheap way.

NOW  you tell me !!   LOL   Lost mine about 3 years ago.  Ended up replacing it with BOB's throttle lock

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Kilohertz said:

Thanks

A number of oilhead  riders used the standard weight Throttlemeister weights. They sold the kit with a twist locker for the throttle side & standard one for the clutch side. But, they also sold them independently for those  that wanted the  Throttlemeister  stainless but didn't want the throttle lock or the added price of the throttle lock.

Most BMW 1200 bikes have factory cruise control so those don't need a throttle lock & those use about the same bar end weights as the 1100/1150 bikes.

They also sold heavier end weights & those did help on the 1100/1150 to reduce a little bar buzz.  I never found them to do a lot on the 1100S as those bars are stiffer so excite at a higher frequency. (but they do look nice)

I typically made my own on my lathe  from stainless steel  bar stock that were closer to the heavier  800GS bar end weights (mine were even  a little heavier yet).

I typically just used a $1.50 Caterpillar (yellow) "O" ring for a throttle lock as those worked fairly good & still allowed decent throttle control even when rolled into the weigh to grip-end   gap. 

They don't have to be even in weight side to side (at least on the 1100/1150 RT)  as the bar sides excite at a different frequency (R/H side has a free floating twist grip so that changes the bar excitation node).    

Just got back from a nice days ride to buy a new helmet and look at the wildfires burning in our area, another broke out across the valley while I was at a rest stop, crazy hot year.

The bike ran awesome, it has so much low end torque, I LOVE it. Looked around for gel gloves (found none locally) Grip Puppies again none local, nor Progrip 714...Online here we come. I always try to support local first.

And NOW I know the engine and TBs are balanced as I packed home a 24 of beer on the back seat and when I opened the first can, only got a wee spfpizt, no foam. Cool! :beer:

Will also probably make my own bar ends on my lathe, haven't used it in a while and would be a fun project.

CheersIMG_0251.thumb.JPG.4da020845c1f1a3986062f042960f27f.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 6/30/2021 at 1:11 PM, dirtrider said:

Evening  Kilohertz

Interesting project, I have an old early 80's Throttle Body  hanging on my shop wall. I will have to measure it as I can't remember if it is a 2.5 L  or 2.8L TB, I think I have a couple of PCM's in my shop attic also. 

Good day all,

It's been a crazy hot, busy summer, have been on wildfire evac alert and order a few times, haven't done much work on any of the bikes but have been riding them a lot.

So this winter I am going to continue my '49 F1 GM TBI build and DR, I would like to take you up on the offer of the throttle body hanging on your wall, did you ever figure out if it is for the 2.8L? It's too bad but all our local wreckers crush anything older than about 2005. There should be hundreds of old S-10s etc that had these TBIs, but they are all gone.

I'll update more on the bikes later.

Cheers