IGNORED

New BMW Owner

Wilinfla

After 50 years of motorcycle riding and owning many different brands, I finally bought my first BMW yesterday. After a quick ride this morning, I don’t know what took me so long. I bought this 2016 with 10k miles, loving it so far. Now I need to get it ready for a planned 14 day, 4000 mile ride in July. Seat mods, bar risers and engine guards with highway pegs to start. 

8932747B-65B3-4309-BCE0-11799642D869.jpeg

7AC24D3F-6BD7-4F3D-9AC8-BD6125C86BEB.jpeg

8572A9A0-21CF-4324-9F9D-422BBEF7C3A8.jpeg

• Like 6

Welcome and congratulations. That is a beautiful RT.  My only suggestion for you is to ride the bike as it is for a while before you start making mods to the ride position.  Since you are new to BMW, give yourself and the bike some miles to become more comfortable with each other. You may decide to make those changes anyway, but there’s a chance you might become comfortable with the bike ergonomics the way it is.

Enjoy.

Welcome to the forum!   Nice bike.   You will enjoy riding it.   I am in GA and there are a few board members in FL.  Back in the day (!) there were some lunch rides one Saturday per month  (Jan, Feb, Mar, Oct Nov, Dec) involving some riders from FL, GA, SC, and AL.   Perhaps in better times  (AHEAD) we will still gather.    Who knows?   Check it out if you are interested.  LINKY to the last one we did have.

Cheers, 

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome, I agree to riding it first to see what works and what doesn't. I have a 2 day trip to the Cherohala Skyway next week.

Welcome @Wilinfla.

You got yourself a great bike. Give yourself a little time and a few miles to get used to it.

You will be surprised how the factory setup makes sense.

PS: We will continue the SECFF Lunches this fall.

• Like 1

I am new to BMW as well. I have mine just a few weeks and put on about 700 miles. Absolutely a joy to ride. Zero fatigue like I had on long rides with my cruisers. Im loving it will never go back.   I was actually looking to buy  the Yamaha st 1300 and i stumbled on a BMW review. I thought uh, let me check it out. After many hours of investigation and several talks with BMW dealers i purchased mine. 2015 RT. This forum is filled with guys with all kids of wisdom and knowledge. Very helpful. Welcome. Nice bike. 

• Like 1

Hey, Wilinfla,

Where've you been, man??  WELCOME to the site and to BMW's!!  Are you in FL or Lavonia, GA??

However, I really don't think you will like the bike.  It might be too much fun for you.  I predict that you'll be coming home with a smile a mother-in-law couldn't erase.

Unless you are doing the CherryCola on a weekday be ready for crowds.  

For seats, Russell Day Long, Sargent, and Corbin or the usual "go to" brands.  

Ride Safe (ATGATT) and tell us what you think after your ride!!

Regards, from Roswell, GA

• Like 2

Actually Lavonia, moved here for the riding 9 years ago. Got a 2 hour ride in today, lot’s of fun! The closest bike I have owned to this would be a Suzuki Bandit 1250,  mostly cruisers, so this is a refreshing change. The technology is amazing, and coming from a cruiser the power is great. I retired last year, so I try to ride the crowded areas during the week, definitely more enjoyable. Will probably ride the dragon on Tuesday if not too busy.

Will

1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

How, pray tell, did you come up with Lavonia?   

Donno.  Someone else named it before I got here.

• Haha 1

I have the low and the standard seat. I am thinking about having one modified for more comfort, just haven’t decided which one yet, but probably the standard seat.

Welcome and congrats!  Yes you did buy the fastest color and prettiest too !  It's other brother is in Charlotte, NC !! 

Enjoy the miles of smiles and also retirement.   I retired in 2017 and rode my 2016 RT out to the MOA rally in Salt Lake.   Rally this June is in Great Falls.  That would make a great retirement trip!   

On 4/19/2021 at 6:15 PM, RTinNC said:

Welcome and congrats!  Yes you did buy the fastest color and prettiest too !  It's other brother is in Charlotte, NC !! 

Enjoy the miles of smiles and also retirement.   I retired in 2017 and rode my 2016 RT out to the MOA rally in Salt Lake.   Rally this June is in Great Falls.  That would make a great retirement trip!   

I am getting it prepped for its first trip in July, going from Atlanta to Sturgis for the week before the rally with some friends. Ride that area for 7 days and the take a meandering course home solo, should be about 14 days and 4K + miles. We did a break in ride for 2 days this week riding the dragon and that area of western North Carolina. Loving the bike so far, have put just over 600 miles on her so far.

24 minutes ago, Wilinfla said:

I am getting it prepped for its first trip in July, going from Atlanta to Sturgis for the week before the rally with some friends. Ride that area for 7 days and the take a meandering course home solo, should be about 14 days and 4K + miles. We did a break in ride for 2 days this week riding the dragon and that area of western North Carolina. Loving the bike so far, have put just over 600 miles on her so far.

That sounds great but you are going to the wrong Rally :grin:   The "Real" Rally is in Great Falls in June !! :clap:

Enjoy and many miles of smiles. 

Rob Nowell
On 4/16/2021 at 4:58 PM, Wilinfla said:

I have the low and the standard seat. I am thinking about having one modified for more comfort, just haven’t decided which one yet, but probably the standard seat.

don't miss the long discussion regarding seats and seat options on the Forum!

• Like 1