IGNORED

Cruise control mal function?

Mane

Hello folks,

I got a 2012 R1200RT with 28k miles a couple of month ago. It is my first bike equipped with cruise control.

After reading the owner's manual on the proper way to operate it, I'm still unable to make it work. In short here's the procedure:

1.Get the bike to the desire speed, let say 75mph on sixth gear.

2.Slide the big lever/button (OFF/ON) to the right in order to release the little lever (SET/RES)

3.One the little lever is free, push it forward. At this time the "SET" signal should show on the dashboard and the cruise control should be activated

4.Release the throttle and the bike should remain on the current speed. 

Is this right?

On the step No.3, no "SET" signal is show on my dashboard and if I release the throttle the speed comes down as expected with there is not Cruise Control.

I any of what I should search for? I don't recall ever seen a cruise control mal function reported on forums?

pd. A picture for reference...

Regards,

Mane

20210203_143643.jpg

Mane, it sounds like you're doing it right.  When you slide the On/Off switch to the On position, does an amber cruise light light up on your dash?  If not, I would check for a blown fuse or stuck brake light switch.

• Like 1

I find the on/off switch sometimes doesn't slide all the way over to the right. A little extra nudge to give the set/reset paddle room to move.

• Like 1

I have a 2010 with 50k miles and had the same exact issue. It’s likely a bad cruise switch on the grip cluster. I had mine evaluated at the dealer in Pensacola and verified it was bad. We replaced the switch and now it’s gtg. It is costly. image.thumb.jpg.737ade952fa7e136f3541f0f1a519528.jpg

• Sad 1

However, the other button (ESA/ASC) and shield are working fine... I should look more closely into it.

Thanks for taking the time to post the picture.

Regards,

Mane

13 hours ago, Mane said:

Hello folks,

I got a 2012 R1200RT with 28k miles a couple of month ago. It is my first bike equipped with cruise control.

After reading the owner's manual on the proper way to operate it, I'm still unable to make it work. In short here's the procedure:

1.Get the bike to the desire speed, let say 75mph on sixth gear.

2.Slide the big lever/button (OFF/ON) to the right in order to release the little lever (SET/RES)

3.One the little lever is free, push it forward. At this time the "SET" signal should show on the dashboard and the cruise control should be activated

4.Release the throttle and the bike should remain on the current speed. 

Is this right?

On the step No.3, no "SET" signal is show on my dashboard and if I release the throttle the speed comes down as expected with there is not Cruise Control.

I any of what I should search for? I don't recall ever seen a cruise control mal function reported on forums?

pd. A picture for reference...

Regards,

Mane

20210203_143643.jpg

In the photo you included, it appears that the "off/on" slide is not pushed all the way to the right, which would prevent the "set/res" lever from engaging cruise control.  I hope that's all that's in your way of it functioning properly.

• Smile 1

The handlebar switches were on a BMW "campaign" sort of a soft recall but not sure if its still in effect.  

My camhead was a great motorcycle but everyone of the handlebar switches malfunctioned and were replaced under this campaign.  

I'd check with a dealer before buying one.  

• Like 1

No fuses on the 2012rt. Big issues with the switch blocks over the years. BMW replaced them under a campaign or recall. My switch block also failed the cruise control. It would not turn on. If you did everything correct then check with the dealer and have them run the Vin and see if your bike had the recall done. Both switch blocks need to be replaced under the BMW recall. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

In the photo you included, it appears that the "off/on" slide is not pushed all the way to the right, which would prevent the "set/res" lever from engaging cruise control.  I hope that's all that's in your way of it functioning properly.

Hey Jonh, glad to know again from you.

Yes, in the photo the slide button is on the off position but it does slide freely to rigth and the cruise wouldn't engage.

Regards,

Mane

3 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

The handlebar switches were on a BMW "campaign" sort of a soft recall but not sure if its still in effect.  

My camhead was a great motorcycle but everyone of the handlebar switches malfunctioned and were replaced under this campaign.  

I'd check with a dealer before buying one.  

Mike, thank you for the heads up.

Don't you have available, by any chance, the campaign recall, number, etc I could use to persuade my dealer?

Regards,

Mane

I bought a 2011 RT 18 months ago with 24k on it, and had similar problems getting the cruise control to engage, after owning the bike a few months.  The first few times I tried it, it worked fine.  Then it started not working.  I tried to be a little more particular about how I engaged the cruise switch,  and it started working again and has done so since.

Both left and right handlebar switch pods have been replaced under warranty earlier in the bike's life. 

I may have been pushing the switch incorrectly when it  stopped working, or it may have been an electrical glitch that "healed itself". Who knows?

Good luck with it!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Hank in WV said:

Had to get mine replaced under warranty also. 2010 RT

Where are you in WV?  I am from the Kanawha Valley but live in Virginia now.

1 hour ago, NRV-RT said:

Where are you in WV?  I am from the Kanawha Valley but live in Virginia now.

I'm up in the northern panhandle.

I would check the clutch and brake micro switches, if they're not made the cruise control will not activate.  On my '13 RT when I pull the clutch/brake lever slightly I can hear the micro switch click and then click again when I release the lever.  Those clicks are the micro switch disengaging and reengaging the cruise control circuit.  Years ago when the cruise control failed on both my K1200LT's the clutch micro switch needed adjustment or the attachment screw tightened.

There is also a troubleshooting procedure that can narrow down the problem.  Do a Google search for "R1200RT cruise control troubleshooting procedure". 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, bruce2000ltc said:

I would check the clutch and brake micro switches, if they're not made the cruise control will not activate.  On my '13 RT when I pull the clutch/brake lever slightly I can hear the micro switch click and then click again when I release the lever.  Those clicks are the micro switch disengaging and reengaging the cruise control circuit.  Years ago when the cruise control failed on both my K1200LT's the clutch micro switch needed adjustment or the attachment screw tightened.

There is also a troubleshooting procedure that can narrow down the problem.  Do a Google search for "R1200RT cruise control troubleshooting procedure". 

Afternoon bruce2000ltc

There is no brake micro-switch on the Camhead 1200RT. The switching is internal to the ABS Module.

The internal brake switch, or the clutch switch,  as well as the throttle roll-off  switch can, or will, keep the cruise control from setting & holding speed but none of those switch's should prevent the dash cruise control (ON light) from coming on when he moves the switch position to ON.  Mane has no dash cruise light (system isn't powering on). 

• Like 1

Here is a test I did when my switch failed.  My ON and OFF switch was bad. Failures vary from bike to bike. Some lost windshield operation. The switch can fail any function. This test worked on my 2012rt. 

20190527_094802.jpg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon bruce2000ltc

There is no brake micro-switch on the Camhead 1200RT. The switching is internal to the ABS Module.

The internal brake switch, or the clutch switch,  as well as the throttle roll-off  switch can, or will, keep the cruise control from setting & holding speed but none of those switch's should prevent the dash cruise control (ON light) from coming on when he moves the switch position to ON.  Mane has no dash cruise light (system isn't powering on). 

Mane has no dash cruise light because there isn't one.  Only a "set" light and that only comes on when the cruise is set to speed.

• Like 1