IGNORED

Camhead Switch Recall?

kltk165

Just read a FB post of someone taking their 2012 RT in for service and the dealer informed them the left AND right handlebar switches are being replaced under a "recall". Thought the dealer may have been swapping out the switches under warranty to get ahead of a known problem as a courtesy. From what the owner tells me, the bike is out of warranty and BMW sent out a notice to the dealers to replace them with the newer style switches. Anyone have any information about this? Will be checking with my dealer (Max BMW, Brookfield, CT) on Tuesday.

I haven't gotten any notices regarding an actual recall, but MAX swapped out both of my switches as soon as they started acting up. Great place for Service!

Jagged Slider

When I called my dealer for a service, he informed me that my 2012 (based off the VIN) had to have both left and right switches replaced. I cannot remember how he worded it, but he did not use the word 'recall'.

I just picked up a 2012 rt. The guy I bought it from said they replaced the right switch gear a couple month's ago.

I called my dealer Hermy's, they said they will replace the right again and also the left.

So if you had yours done in the past call to see about the new upgraded switch's.

This is great news. I've had trouble with the cruise control switch on my 2011 RT since new that the dealer wouldn't replace citing they couldn't duplicate the problem. Now it looks like it'll be fixed. Finally. Thanks everyone.

Just got off the phone with my dealer (Max BMW, Brookfield, CT). Based on the vin on my 2011 both of my switches are being replaced. Woohoo!

I had both multiswitches replaced and they work fine. It took about a week to get the switches and an hour for the dealer to replace them. You should contact a different dealer because the '11 is part of the recall (the word recall was on the $0.00 invoice)

Dirtmerchant
Has anyone with a 2011 actually had their's replaced under this campaign? My dealer says it doesn't apply.....

Thanks for the input guys. The dealer service manager confirmed my bike is included as part of the campaign; parts ordered. Will be glad to get that wonky wheel selector fixed.

Did they replace the fuel pump or just make a modification? How much time did all this take?

Replaced fuel pump and gaskets. Around 1,100$ in parts.Tires included time wise it took a little over 2 hours.

Steve Kolenda

That's interesting, before putting my bike up for the winter I was trying to schedule an appointment to have the left side switch replaced for the 4th time and the service department did not want to do it on a Saturday because it was going to tie them up for 4 hours yet you had booth sides done plus a fuel pump and tires in around 2 hours. I guess I need to find a different place for service.

Tony Van Der Voorn

Is there a available database where I could input my VIN for a '12 to determine if this recall includes me?

Also, I have my motorcycle serviced at a different dealerships than where I purchased it. Should that make any difference concerning the recall.

I have yet to experience any problems with mine, riding in all conditions, approx 25k per year.

Thanks,

Tony Van Der Voorn

Wichita, KS

Is there a available database where I could input my VIN for a '12 to determine if this recall includes me?

Call or e-mail your service department and give them your VIN -- they can tell you whether your VIN falls within the campaign.

Also, I have my motorcycle serviced at a different dealerships than where I purchased it. Should that make any difference concerning the recall.

In short: it should not. If any dealer gives you grief, a call to BMW customer service should address that. That said, it's pretty rare to hear of a dealer actually turning away a warranty customer, so I would not worry about it unless/until it happens.

Paul In Australia

My understanding is that it is not a recall. The way it was explained to me by my Australian dealer, is if a problem occurs, they will replace both sides on bikes in a certain Vin range. Mine is and I had a kill switch issue, so both are being replaced no questions asked.

That is different from a recall IMHO

Regards

Paul

Different countries have different laws and verbiage related to what's happening. So, the question I have, is this considered a TSB? (technical service bulletin) Because if it's a "recall" then they have to mail every known owner a notice to have it fixed. A TSB is treated completely different.

So, if it is a TSB, does anyone know the code number?

Paul In Australia

Both my switches replaced the other day FOC by dealer. I must say I think the indicator switch and others seem to be "lighter" in feel than the older ones. Quite a noticeable improvement IMHO.

regards

So my dealer calls me on Tuesday to tell me that both of my switches are in. I had the day off so I asked if they could squeeze me in and asked how long it would take. No problem getting me in and only about an hour or so installation time. So I ride up to the dealer and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait. Service manager comes out after two hours and tells me that when they hooked my bike up to the computer it started a software update. Long story short it took 4 hours! I was about to stick needles in my eyes when they told me I was done. Great.

I hop on the bike and start heading home...... But wait, the new switch cluster doesn't have my ESA/ ASC control switch next to the power windshield button. Crap! So I turn around and head back to the dealer. The service manager came out to the bike and looked at it in disbelief. Of course they now have to order another new switch. Ugh!

Doug

Why would a software update take that long? Unless.........

No reason to believe there is an "unless ..." It is not uncommon for the firmware download to the computer and then to the bike modules to take a looong time. If all of the various modules are updated (in series), it can take hours. I once had a single module update take over 1/2 hour.

My thanks to Paul in Australia for posting up, as his '13 got me thinking that my '13 might be in the VIN range as well. I just called, and sure enough -- my switches will be replaced as well, as soon as the dealer can get the parts in. I'll do my best to leave all snark at the door, but taking another lesson from these pages, I think I might just mention that I have ESA and ASC (although I have to say, the latter has not made me, personally, any more stable than I was before. Though that would be quite a heavy lift, clearly, some issues just cannot be solved by technology).

Rode my wife's '12 RT this AM the ~60 mi. to my dealer to have both switch clusters replaced. No issues with the installation. Morton's BMW - great folks, top to bottom.

Where did you have the switch replacement done?

Plano....

This morning I went back and they installed the correct switch. Only an hour wait today.

Doug

I went down to West Valley Cycles in Winnetka to pick up a part. I asked them about the recall. They checked my VIN and said yes, you're covered. I'm scheduled to have the work done on the 20th.

Milwaukee is doing my right switch this spring (left was done when the screen switch failed in 2013). I had to ask about the rt switch though....nothing received as in a recall notice to me. I found out here and checked.

I had to ask about the rt switch though....nothing received as in a recall notice to me.

BMW rarely has a formal recall -- a NHTSA-covered safety defect correction campaign, complete with mailing notices to owners.

They do, however, have a number of service campaigns which address known problems whenever a bike is brought into the dealer for service. This relies on the dealer's service department checking for outstanding campaigns by the bike's VIN.

• 3 weeks later...
Milwaukee is doing my right switch this spring (left was done when the screen switch failed in 2013). I had to ask about the rt switch though....nothing received as in a recall notice to me. I found out here and checked.

No notice because it's not a recall. It's a service action.

The word recall had a very specific meaning--it's an action mandated by the government (USA) to correct a safety or emissions defect. The switches are neither.

This is a goodwill gesture on BMW's part and I speculate they will recover a lot of the cost from their supplier.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. When I went into my shop last Friday to have my fuel strip replaced, they also replaced the two handlebar switches. The turn signal switch seems to have a very nice positive feel to it now, whereas I always thought that it felt somewhat "squishy" on the original. The cruise control slider also seems to slide a little more smoothly now. But I may be imagining all that. The total job, fuel strip and switches, took about five hours, but at no charge to me.

---John.

Just had mine done on my 2013 RT at the dealer. My observation is the new switch is less positive than the original. The original required a firm push on all of the switches, but they worked flawlessly. The new switches are much lighter and slightly more "squishy". No big deal, but I will have to get used to it.

That's funny, two guys experiencing two opposite reactions to the same thing. Anyway, I talked to my dealer yesterday and BMW is going to reimburse me for the left switch I paid to have replaced last fall and install a new right switch next weekend.

BMW is doing good.

Trust me... :)

The new switches have a more positive feel to them. I noticed it the first time I went to use the turn signal when leaving the dealer. Also my BC switch works much better. In the past I had the left hand side replaced about 6 times and only about 7 months earlier I had the right side replaced on my dime. I still have not been reimbursed by BMW on this but I think my dealer has not submitted the paperwork.

Also got the fuel pump replaced.

tsp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got my new switches. They're nice. I like them a lot. Very positive feeling as noted above. Interesting, the dealer could never observe the cruise control shutting down when trying to decelerate. It happened, a lot, trust me. New switches? Cruise control works perfectly. Every time....

Firenailer

I've had both switches replaced in the past, they each failed and were swapped under warranty. I thought the new ones had a nice crisp positive feel. When I was at my Dealer last week getting a new cover and gasket - as my Master Cylinder leaks brake fluid, they ran my VIN I was up for new switches again.

Apparently they have new part numbers for newer switches, so even though the ones I have are working I'm scheduled for replacements. Seems odd but I guess better to be safe than broke down somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Funny that I should stumble onto this thread. I have experienced a problem the last two days that I think might be related to the Kill switch. I rode my 2011 R1200RT to work and it sat out in the heat all day. Both days I came out to start it and it failed to start. The first day I came back a couple of hours later and it started right up. The second day (today) I toggled the Kill switch on (to Kill position) and then back off a couple of times. It then started just fine! When it doesn't start it acts exactly the same way as if the Kill switch was on - no relays clicking or fuel pump whine, nothing. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Does anyone know why the switch assemblies are being replaced? Thanks for your help.

Archived