IGNORED

Advice on a Russell Day Long Saddle

MichiganBob

If your original donor seat is heated they will give you the option to keep it or remove it. Or at least they used to. There was not an extra charge. I don’t know why anybody would remove the heated seat option if not just for resale value only. 

I bought a bike that had a Corbin on it, made for a guy about 5'4" and 130 lbs.  I am ... bigger, much bigger, oh, and taller, too, but yeah, just bigger🙄😖).  Anyhow, just as RinkyDink mentioned with about another rider's experience, I found the seat unusable for me, pushing me WAY up on the tank.  I'm not kidding you, that when I road the bike home using that seat, I was in absolute agony within 10 minutes, and had to pull over and switch to either the stocker or Sargent (i.e. owner sold it with all three sets), and eventually settled on the Sargent..

So, IMHO, just make sure that you're somewhat close to the previous owner's build, and you should be OK.  In other words, 6'3", and you're 6'2 and maybe a little heavier, you should be good to go.  A short person on that seat might have a problem.   But really, just like ANY seat, until you're riding on it and try it out, you'll never know for sure.   (Heck, maybe just send in this query to RDL, and see how they respond.  My guess is that they'll offer to "fix" it for you if needed, at a substantial discount to a full seat rebuild.)

• 1 month later...
Feral Space Cat

My experience with RDL was terrible and their seat was junk. They ripped me off. 
Got a custom made Corbin and it’s way better. It’s important to try it and give feedback. I had Corbin add extra soft foam and raise the seat height 2”. 

9 hours ago, Feral Space Cat said:

My experience with RDL was terrible and their seat was junk. They ripped me off. 
Got a custom made Corbin and it’s way better. It’s important to try it and give feedback. I had Corbin add extra soft foam and raise the seat height 2”. 

Did you try to work it out with RDL?  When I  bought mine, they seemed to be very willing to fix it if I had an issue.  I actually didn't have any issues and as I had posted way back in this thread it was as advertised, a day long saddle.  When I ordered I did as they asked and provided detailed pics of how I and my Wife sat on the bike, included our height and inseams.  I also, included some narrative about my riding style.  And lastly was fully honest about our weight, which was much more robust for both of us back then:classic_ohmy:  YRMV

konacyclist

I just returned from a 2500 mile trip to Monument Valley, AZ. I took the GS rather than my new RT. Why? Because the RT does not have a Russell Day Long like the GS. My wife said no way would she take that long a trip with the RT's stock saddle. I have a ride-in appointment scheduled with Russell next month. I did the ride-in experience with the GS three years ago and have been very pleased with the result.

Feral Space Cat
3 hours ago, Paul De said:

Did you try to work it out with RDL?  When I  bought mine, they seemed to be very willing to fix it if I had an issue.  I actually didn't have any issues and as I had posted way back in this thread it was as advertised, a day long saddle.  When I ordered I did as they asked and provided detailed pics of how I and my Wife sat on the bike, included our height and inseams.  I also, included some narrative about my riding style.  And lastly was fully honest about our weight, which was much more robust for both of us back then:classic_ohmy:  YRMV

Maybe your experience was before mine last year. RDL did not want to make any effort to resolve the issue. They just took my money. 

At least Corbin made an effort and after a day and 5 test rides they did make an amazing seat. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2020 at 10:42 AM, David13 said:

On the way to Torrey I rode up to Redding, Shasta Lake and got a RDL seat.

By the time I got to Torrey I had determined to sell the thing as fast as I could.

It was the most horrible thing I ever sat on a motorcycle on.

First, it was like sitting in a bucket.  I couldn't move.  I couldn't slide right or left at all. 

Second, it had wings on the side that protruded upward.  It made it impossible for me to put my feet down at a stop.  Something I can do on any motorcycle. 

Because of the bucket shape of it I couldn't move forward, nor backward. 

As soon as I got home I sent it to somebody in PA who wanted it. 

And got an original back on, which I now realzie is not bad at all.

I would like the original in it's configuration, just a little wider at the sides, but with a curved down shape, down off the sides, so there is more support moving to one side or the other.

But I gave up long ago, as most I saw were a bucket shape, like a metal tractor seat.

dc

As to leather, I hate it in cars.  It does not 'breathe', it just sweats.  I hate it.  I always look for cloth seats.

I think you would like Sargent seats.   You can move around on them.  They are wider in the back but thin in front so you can reach the ground.   I tried a Wunderlich...They're gorgeous, but very stiff.   You need to have a hard, tuned-up backside to be happy with them.  I took a 130 mile round-trip on mine and had to send it back.   They were good about it.   They make some great stuff, but not all of it works for me.