IGNORED

Another RT.....

RTMaggie

Hi Everyone - again!

I cannot seem to stay away from BMWs and the RT specifically.  I just bought almost a twin to my last RT.  I strayed back to a Harley for a time, but there is no substitute for the RT.  This time it is a 2005, Red (the best color) RT with 73k miles on this one.  Again it is immaculate and well cared for.  It rides like a dream and it kills me to have it put away for the Winter.  I am looking forward to day trips around the Northwest this Spring and Summer.  In the meantime, I will be learning more and more about care and maintenance on this site.   Here it is in our driveway with my husband's toy up ahead of my bike.  It has a Remus exhaust, V Stream windshield (which I may not keep), a nice gps, additional lights front and rear.  It runs great!  I did not think I would like the Remus exhaust, but I DO!  Anyway, great to be back!  Maggie

bike.jpeg

• Like 2

Good for you!    I traded a 2004 RT IN 2013 for the first wethead GS.   I enjoyed the GS but missed my RT.   It was the first time since 1983 that I did not own an RT!    So I rescued an unloved 2003 RT in 2016.    I will never go RT’less again!    

29 minutes ago, hopz said:

With a handle like RTMaggie... it as a natural. You will love it.

With that kind of thinking, :5147:

she should bring her new RT to Maggie Valley this coming spring. :4323:

• Like 1

I have never heard of "Maggie Valley", but I like the name!  My husband has had to stop riding his Honda ST1300 due to health issues, but I will be out there riding into the sunset for years to come.  Just can't seem to give up that feeling of freedom and the wind in my face.  I will be on the search for riding clubs so that I don't always have to ride by myself.  I don't particularly like large riding groups, but I have found that BMW riders are more akin to my style than Harley riders.  Never fit in with those folks..........(lots of reasons too many to mention here)

Thanks for welcoming me back!

Sounds like a good plan, Maggie! :thumbsup: I should probably buy a ticket myself before pushing them. (Kidding no purchase required)  :classic_biggrin: But, a group of fine BMWST riders have been meeting in the Southeastern part of the US (spring & fall) for quite a few years now. This spring is Maggie Valley NC. ;)

Geez!  That looks like a great place to ride and of course the name just completes it.  hehe  I have never been to the Southeastern part of the US to ride or for anything else, like golf, my other passion, with the exception of a couple of family trips to Florida.  However, we have ridden much of the West Coast, Montana, S. Dakota, Utah and Colorado over the last several years.  That group of riders on the Maggie Valley ride look like a great group of people and I hope that I can find something similar out here near Seattle.  You have given me hope!  Thanks!

• Like 1

That V Stream is a great shield . I have one on my RT and love it.

If it's not your cup of tea , I'm sure you could easily sell it here on the classified ad section

Welcome Back

I plan to ride the V Stream this Spring for a while before I decide what to do.  It is quite big.  I have also read that these windshields can break the arms that hold the windshield?  The guy that owned it before me was very tall.  He also installed highway pegs on the cylinder guards.  Those may go too, but only after I get some miles in next season.

'Scuse me. Florida is definitely NOT part of the "Southeast"!!  No way.  Sorry.  Or of the "South", for that matter.  It's just Florida.  It's different.

Now, Maggie Valley is an experience.  You might not like it.  Endless curvy mountain roads in every direction, THE Blue Ridge Parkway nearby, Skyline Drive, Tail of the Dragon, The Rattlesnake, etc, etc.  I don't think you'd like it.  It's Too Much Fun.

We do need another RT rider, tho.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well, that confirms it.  I am a North westerner and have no clue about the Southeast!  Maybe some day I'll get there and Maggie Valley would be on the list.

Hello and welcome, Maggie! That's a GREAT looking bike! I have an 06 & 10 RT. :bike:  Happy to help and/or answer any questions as you get familiar with your bike. I have some goodies laying around too.

Do give joining us in Maggie Valley a think. Here's a few videos - highlighting some of the folks and roads from our Appalachian Riding Tours( ART's) - START (Spring Tuneup Appalachian Riding Tour and FART (Fall Appalachian Riding Tour). ART's are held at various locations, and we don't organize any rides or ride as a group, per se. We do provide several routes that riders can choose to ride, and often folks will ride in their own group of 1 - 5. Late afternoons and evenings are spent sharing one's version of the days events in the parking lot, often with an adult beverage or two. Nowadays, RT's are no longer the dominant bike at Art's, so we have to stick together. The only organized (I use that term loosely :spittake:) events we have are a pizza night on Thursday and group dinner on Friday.

Here's a look back at a few events, and then the last video is a sampling of some roads. The first two videos are on one YouTube channel (Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ - who are the current hosts the ART's, btw), and the last video on another. Both channels have videos of rides and roads from various ART's - I just haven't combined them into one channel - so if you want to see more, just browse the channels). The videos are all in Hi Res, so if they are pixelated, you'll need to turn up the resolution in the lower right of the youtube window.

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 3

GREAT videos!  Thanks. 
It looks like some really nice riding and a good looking and fun group. I don’t drag my knee on corners even with a cornering class in my background I am not that brave!

So, you have a RT.  How many miles on your bike or bikes?  Mine as I said has 73k. That is a lot so should I be concerned about the final drive?  Anything you recommend?

Thanks!

One of the great things about our gatherings is that we all ride differently! Some - as you could see - prefer to find some non-pavement roads. We all ride our own pace - many stop to take photos or explore interesting looking roads along the way. Don't be intimidated by those videos - those came from one guys camera who was having a good day. We are all over the spectrum as far as riding is concerned.

My 06 has 96,000 miles - it's been coast to coast and even had a failed water crossing. :ohboy:  I did replace the driveshaft, as water had gotten into the swing arm and the U-joint was failing. That was before the water crossing, btw. I probably didn't get the boot sealed properly after a Final Drive service back in it's much younger days. I love the Wizzy brakes - but be sure that your servo controller and brakes have been flushed. Do you have any records from the previous owner? Do you do any of your own maintenance? Do you have ESA suspension? What kind of aux lights do you have up front - I think I can see them just in front of your mirrors.

My 2010 now has 59,000 smiles.

Oh... About that Water Crossing - I've never claimed to be, nor have I ever been confused with a wise person. :ohboy:

None the less....This was all my FRIENDS fault - once I crossed the Great Divide once, they REFUSED to do likewise :shake:. I know they did this because they wanted to see if I could swim.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
57 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Dang, my descriptive pic on the other page was spot on! :4323:A very cool motorcycle moment to have captured for future chuckles! :thumbsup:

That photo isn't far off! And being an RT rider through and through - I refused to stand on the pegs on re-entry:ohboy:  To be fair, I did have second thoughts about not standing on the pegs afterwards (mainly because then I could have done a one and a half dive on the way in) :4317:

@RTMaggie    @Bernie put 188,700 (S)miles on his 2007 RT before turning it over to another rider.

So ride on!

• Like 3

Mud puddle fun?  That looks more like a D-derby featuring some very expensive machinery.  Me thinks the players in this little performance have more money than sense.  Maybe on something?  Or maybe just bored?  I dunno....?

OR maybe on a dare?  Teaching a bike to swim maybe?  Sheesh!  I'll run the camera and let you guys take the dare.

I will get to the local dealer where my prior owner had much of the work done on my bike and pick up all the maintenance records.  I do know that he was meticulous and if anything overdid on the maintenance side of things. (yay)  I liked hearing that.  My husband and I do oil changes and minor stuff like handle bar adjustments or change out of pipes, but we don't take on tuning our bikes or technical engine stuff.  I will look at the additional lights added and let you know that too.   Also, the servo brakes never have bothered me.  I will look to see when and if the servo controller and brakes have been flushed.  I kinda like those brakes despite what I have heard others say.

• Like 1

Well, to be clear - a lil water has never deterred me much.

On the specific Mud Puddle you're referring to -I/We were on an epic trip (the 3rd annual Trip of a Lifetime), and on this day we were in Oregon - inWillamette Nat'll Forest. I had ridden from Indiana and my buddies flew out to L.A and rented bikes and we were off. Our road through the National Forest was closed - and I'd seen this "road" in Basecamp the night before. At the time, the road seemed OK, but was steadily deteriorating.

Here's the ride tale of the middle third of the trip - CA to OR. In the first post of teh thread is the video of how the ride that day unfolded - and it offers a little more perspective on the 'players'. :)

• Like 2

Maggie - I really like the servo brakes - riders seem to either love or hate them, what else is new? The RT is fairly simple to work on, and there are some good tutorials and youtube videos. If you and your husband want to go a little deeper - Jim VonBaden has some pictorials, as well as videos for purchase. Sounds like you have a well maintained bike, I'd not be worried at all. Woo Hoo!!

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Tech_Pictorials.html

@RTMaggie Here's a easy way to check the condition of your brake fluid.

1. Remove both seats.

Here's the rear brake fluid reservoir :

Inked20201126_182538_LI.thumb.jpg.b03d42ec7aba290357e1f216d118c05f.jpg

With the bike on the CENTER STAND, remove the cap. You may need to hold the lower part with your other hand if turning the cap also spins the reservoir.

This is what new brake fluid looks like - crystal clear. That's what you want your fluid to look like. If it's yellowish or amber - time to get it flushed!

20201126_182416.thumb.jpg.a6024ab7a512a73f8180a2bb14714a3e.jpg

Feel free to take a picture and post it here.

Happy Thanksgiving!

On 11/23/2020 at 5:09 PM, Lowndes said:

'Scuse me. Florida is definitely NOT part of the "Southeast"!!  No way.  Sorry.  Or of the "South", for that matter.  It's just Florida.  It's different.

Now, Maggie Valley is an experience.  You might not like it.  Endless curvy mountain roads in every direction, THE Blue Ridge Parkway nearby, Skyline Drive, Tail of the Dragon, The Rattlesnake, etc, etc.  I don't think you'd like it.  It's Too Much Fun.

We do need another RT rider, tho.

Welcome Maggie!

As a native Floridian please do come sometime down and ride with us. Sure, the peninsula is flat for the most part but in central and north Florida there are many great roads to ride and the natives are nice friendly people.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

@RTMaggie Here's a easy way to check the condition of your brake fluid.

1. Remove both seats.

Here's the rear brake fluid reservoir :

Inked20201126_182538_LI.thumb.jpg.b03d42ec7aba290357e1f216d118c05f.jpg

With the bike on the CENTER STAND, remove the cap. You may need to hold the lower part with your other hand if turning the cap also spins the reservoir.

This is what new brake fluid looks like - crystal clear. That's what you want your fluid to look like. If it's yellowish or amber - time to get it flushed!

20201126_182416.thumb.jpg.a6024ab7a512a73f8180a2bb14714a3e.jpg

Feel free to take a picture and post it here.

Happy Thanksgiving!

My bike is stored in our shed.  No room to do this now, but will definitely do this when I take her out of the shed.  THANK YOU!

On 11/25/2020 at 4:27 PM, RTMaggie said:

So, you have a RT.  How many miles on your bike or bikes?  Mine as I said has 73k. That is a lot so should I be concerned about the final drive?  Anything you recommend?

Thanks!

My 2007 RT had the original final drive with 140k miles on in when I traded in on a 2011 RT. The 2011 had 110k miles and the original final drive when I sold it. Unless you think the previous owner abused the bike I wouldn't be too concerned.

On 11/25/2020 at 5:27 PM, RTMaggie said:

GREAT videos!  Thanks. 
It looks like some really nice riding and a good looking and fun group. I don’t drag my knee on corners even with a cornering class in my background I am not that brave!

Thanks!

Evening  RTMaggie

If your final drive went 73,000 miles then it is probably not going to fail, the majority of hexhead final drive failures that I have seen have failed under 25,000 miles (some more than once). 

BUT__ There are a couple of recalls to be concerned about. 

The important one was  Recall 15V-141, that was to replace the rear wheel soft aluminum wheel mounting flange with a much stronger steel one (check with your BMW dealer, or go on-line & register with BMW to see if your rear wheel flange recall  is still outstanding)

The other one is a maybe__ There were (2) 1200 fuel system gasoline leak recalls. On is the older 20V-471 then the latest 13V-617. Those were for possible gasoline leaks at the fuel tank pump assembly (that leak can pop up quickly & unexpectedly).  You need to check with your dealer on this one as my documentation doesn't show the 2005 R involved with this one but that doesn't mean that for sure it isn't. (Important that you check on this) 

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2020 at 10:34 AM, RTMaggie said:

I plan to ride the V Stream this Spring for a while before I decide what to do.  It is quite big.  I have also read that these windshields can break the arms that hold the windshield?  The guy that owned it before me was very tall.  He also installed highway pegs on the cylinder guards.  Those may go too, but only after I get some miles in next season.

Maggie - I'm west of Seattle on the Peninsula and would be happy to have a ride with you.  I'll ride mine year round and just rode my to work yesterday....temps were above 40 and no rain forecasted...that is my winter riding minimum standard !!!  

just added my first RT to my garage after riding harley's and a ST1300 also !

Here's a picture of "Scarlet" on a ride to Sekiu the weekend after Thanksgiving....

6C1A398F-4117-4020-BA5A-1299DEED6668.jpeg

Hi - better late than never on a response to your post.  That is a beautiful bike!  (jealous) We used to ride all year too, but not anymore.  I will take my bike out of storage when the weather starts to turn warmer.  One of our favorite rides is taking the Kingston ferry from Edmonds and then riding off to Port Townsend.  We have lunch at Sirens and then head home.  Always a good day.  The Hood Canal bridge is gorgeous and getting out to the Peninsula is always relaxing.  Thanks for your offer.  PS:  I have to come up with a name for my bike..........hmmmm. 

Red is my favorite bike color and yours is a beauty.  I never buy the red bikes.  They attract tickets even when not in motion.  I have a theory that red bikes are to LE's what red capes are to bull fight bulls.  

Commuted from Port Ludlow for a few years using the ferry system to either Renton or Everett.  Generally didn’t ride it below 40 degrees (the old Hood Canal Bridge gratings use to be pretty slick) but on the summer mornings at 4:30 AM the  sun shining on Mt. Baker is one of my fondest memories of the area. We generally spend much of the summer up there but you folks can keep it this time of year!  Enjoy riding those gorgeous RT’s in the most beautiful part of the country. 

• Like 1