IGNORED

Youth

Skywagon

23 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

If that song is considered rap , then I guess any arrangement of musical notes with spoken word is rap   Say it ain't so !!!

That's not just "spoken" word, that's spoken word to a beat,.......hence, rap.  Only the instruments and chorus are melodic, Daniels is rapping 'bout the devil.

Some don't like rap due to the "words" within, but just like a country song, most tell a story .  Remove the bass, listen to the lyrics and understand the story.

What about "Hot Rod Lincoln"? 

I don't listen to Rap or Hip Hop. But not just because. Long ago I decided the "lyrics" were not for me.......

17 minutes ago, realshelby said:

What about "Hot Rod Lincoln"? 

I don't listen to Rap or Hip Hop. But not just because. Long ago I decided the "lyrics" were not for me.......

Might be listening to the wrong rap.  I don't like the "boasting" stuff.

Here's a couple, just open your mind and listen.

1 hour ago, taylor1 said:

If that song is considered rap , then I guess any arrangement of musical notes with spoken word is rap   Say it ain't so !!!

It's kind of so.

Rapture, by Blondie, rap.

As a courtesy to you, Richard, I listened closely to the entire 2Pac. 

Exactly why I don't listen to Rap. Not to say all of it is this bad, I cannot say that as I don't listen to it. 

I have long said that Black Americas worst enemy....was Black culture. This is exactly what I meant by that. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, realshelby said:

As a courtesy to you, Richard, I listened closely to the entire 2Pac. 

Exactly why I don't listen to Rap. Not to say all of it is this bad, I cannot say that as I don't listen to it. 

I have long said that Black Americas worst enemy....was Black culture. This is exactly what I meant by that. 

Sooo, what was wrong with his tale?

Wrong? Nothing wrong with the "tale" as such. The conditions, attitudes, overall corrosive environment leak into WHY the story is being told. Yes, he blames his people for a lot of it, but the very essence advances every negative aspect of that lifestyle. I don't need to promote it, so I don't follow it. All about getting attention. Artistic? I get that some have the knack that make them stand out. In every genre. 

45 minutes ago, realshelby said:

Wrong? Nothing wrong with the "tale" as such. The conditions, attitudes, overall corrosive environment leak into WHY the story is being told. Yes, he blames his people for a lot of it, but the very essence advances every negative aspect of that lifestyle. I don't need to promote it, so I don't follow it. All about getting attention. Artistic? I get that some have the knack that make them stand out. In every genre. 

Hmmm, "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die",....what lifestyle does that promote, that overall song is about being stuck in prison for murder.

You can find negative lifestyle in damn near every genre. 

I dunno if you think he's promoting the thug life, but what I hear is that he's trying to escape it all.

29 minutes ago, realshelby said:

I bet he wishes he HAD got out of that lifestyle.......

👍 

he was promising, artist, actor, the guy was well read as well, several books a week

As a another, if you don’t mind que up Ice-t “escape the killing fields”

RandyShields

Love Charlie Daniels and Devil went down to GA.  But, don't consider that rap, just kind of a spoken story in the Johnny Cash tradition.

West_Coaster
57 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Love Charlie Daniels and Devil went down to GA.  But, don't consider that rap, just kind of a spoken story in the Johnny Cash tradition.

Don't forget CDB did "Uneasy rider", that was one of his first spoken songs and was a great one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

Rap, musical style in which rhythmic and/or rhyming speech is chanted (“rapped”) to musical accompaniment,......."devil went down to georgia" is exactly that, in all of its iambic pentameter rhyming.

54 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

..............it is called a ballad.

Thanks.  I'll get the lights.

You can be both, rap and a ballad.

Ya'll can admit it, after all, it's 2020, you can say you like rap ;)

In all honestly, all through the 80's and 90's I could not stand the stuff,........until I actually started listening.

• Like 1

Richard, I appreciate your point of view. You have in fact introduced me to some good stuff! 61 years old and Arch Enemy cranked up while cruising, Nightwish........

But I have a mental block on the version of "rap" you have here. I do agree there are "spoken" songs that would/could be considered rap. But the term rap is more about the rhythm, beat, and how nasty the lyrics can be. 

Notice I don't tell you the music is trash and you should not listen to it, not my way. This is what makes us different is all!

2 minutes ago, realshelby said:

Richard, I appreciate your point of view. You have in fact introduced me to some good stuff! 61 years old and Arch Enemy cranked up while cruising, Nightwish........

Check out Jinjer, In This Moment, Unleash the Archers and Alien Weaponry's  Kai Tangata

2 minutes ago, realshelby said:

But I have a mental block on the version of "rap" you have here. I do agree there are "spoken" songs that would/could be considered rap. But the term rap is more about the rhythm, beat, and how nasty the lyrics can be. 

Notice I don't tell you the music is trash and you should not listen to it, not my way. This is what makes us different is all!

The definition of rap, is the definition of rap may be of African-American origin, but to apply the definition, as it sits, is to define "the devil went down to georgia".  Doesn't say that it has to be accompanied by heavy bass, just rhyming speech chanted or rapped as Charlie Daniels did, to musical accompaniment. 

I have to disagree with what I bolded above.  Listen to LLCoolJ's "I need love" above, nothing nasty about it.  Will Smith NEVER used any profanity in his lyrics and most of his are "happy" songs, you're picking and choosing then grouping.  While I did link you to a couple that did have profanity, much metal/rock also has profanity and degradation of women and death/killing.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Hank in WV said:

Maybe, but it has real music with it...

What's real music?

For years, electronic music was not thought as "music", but artist such as Daft PunkTiesto , Blank and Jones , and M83 prove that wrong.

Ya, much rap artist sample others, but others use their own beats and sound.

It's like art, who determines what art is, is it the artist or the viewer?  A banana duct taped on the wall, I'd not call art, but it certainly sold for a lot as art

Already  found Jinjer...probably because of the Arch Enemy searches!

Thinking about what we and others have written so far....I am undoubtedly predisposed to not like rap. Maybe my loss. But, I think I know what can add to my argument not to appreciate rap. Music. Yes there is music with rap. But correct me it I am wrong, but rarely will anything from a rap song make a top 100 guitar solo....and so on. Beat is important, but not much after that? 

For those following.....here is an example of Jinjer. NOT what you might expect. But unlike rap, there is considerable musical instrument talent here as well as singing talent. Arch Enemy guitarists are simply incredible for instance.

• Like 1

This reminds me how much I miss going out to see live music. I fear that when I finally can, too many of the joints that I frequented will be gone.

8 hours ago, realshelby said:

Already  found Jinjer...probably because of the Arch Enemy searches!

Thinking about what we and others have written so far....I am undoubtedly predisposed to not like rap. Maybe my loss. But, I think I know what can add to my argument not to appreciate rap. Music. Yes there is music with rap. But correct me it I am wrong, but rarely will anything from a rap song make a top 100 guitar solo....and so on. Beat is important, but not much after that? 

For those following.....here is an example of Jinjer. NOT what you might expect. But unlike rap, there is considerable musical instrument talent here as well as singing talent. Arch Enemy guitarists are simply incredible for instance.

Jinjer, Rap mixed with metal.  Rap has permeated many styles of music, from country to metal,.......there's  probably some gospel out there that has it

I listen to music as a whole, not just for guitars or drums or even lyrics.  My wife asked me how I can listen to music I don't understand, Rammstein, Eisbrecher, Puya for instance, I just treat the vocals as an instrument that is part of the whole song concept.  Rap is the same way, I can't understand much of Bone, Thugs and Harmony, but I like the whole sound

13 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Linkin Park is hard rock with much rap throughout its songs.

Yep, Beastie Boys, Rage Against the Machine (fawkin A!!), Kid Rock, Red Hot Shitty Peppers, Limp Bizkit, ICP (juggalo yo), even, as much as I dislike the guy, Eminem infused rock (original, not sampled) in the background of "Lose Yourself".  'Tis all around, yet, but when asked if someone likes "rap", they'll say no, but if asked if they like Rage Against the Machine, ......the answer would be yes,......hmmmm

23 hours ago, West_Coaster said:

Don't forget CDB did "Uneasy rider", that was one of his first spoken songs and was a great one.

I've still got the 45 rpm single of that song!

Small world: Tupac went to my high school, albeit over a decade after I graduated.