IGNORED

2003 R1150R Sitting for 6 Years

Imgnr

9 hours ago, Imgnr said:

I just bought a running (with video) 2003 single spark engine from an RT with about 60K miles on it for $600 (may be a bit more when I tell them I need a lift gate truck for delivery).  My bike has 80K something something.  There was another engine that had only 16K with a transmission for $900 but there was no video of it running.

I'm doing this by myself.  Can I take the tank and plastics off, unplug all the electrics to the engine, and strap the frame to the garage ceiling with ratchet tie downs, unbolt everything from the engine and lift everything off and lower it on top of the new engine/transmission?

Afternoon Imgnr

Sort of but not that easily, the frame is a rear frame that will come off separately as the front suspension & steering is a separate part  bolted on the engine. 

Basically the engine is part of the frame with pieces bolted to it. 

Watch the air box as that is bolted to the transmission.

I think I might need to cancel the transaction as it looks like there are three header bolts and my engine only has two - are there two different types?  Can I just swap the heads?  If so, are the mounting holes for other parts in the same location?  Can't afford any more nasty surprises.  

How does this engine sound?  https://www.youtube.com/embed/fYRZkFbBIvQ?rel=0

It's about $900 including transportation.

10 hours ago, Imgnr said:

I think I might need to cancel the transaction as it looks like there are three header bolts and my engine only has two - are there two different types?  Can I just swap the heads?  If so, are the mounting holes for other parts in the same location?  Can't afford any more nasty surprises.  

How does this engine sound?  https://www.youtube.com/embed/fYRZkFbBIvQ?rel=0

It's about $900 including transportation.

Morning  Imgnr

In my humble opinion, I suggest that you try to get the correct engine for your model & not try to swap heads or other major parts. (think of -- opening Pandora's box)

People have put twin spark engines into single spark motorcycles & put single spark engines into twin spark motorcycles. There are always got-ya's & problems to solve. 

Head gaskets are expensive, once you remove a cylinder heads you then have that "years of carbon buildup" to deal with. Lots of work)

Just try not to be in a hurry & eventually the correct engine will show up.

Maybe try Beemer Boneyard, their engine is probably a little more expensive but  more than likely in good working condition & in the long run might end up cheaper than trying to swap heads & deal with other sub problems (if you call Beemer Bone yard tell them you are a member of this web site as that usually gets you a discount) 

• Like 1

Happy 4th!  The new motor arrived safely.  It looks pretty clean.  I took the old motor, tranny, swing arm, and rear wheel off in one section.  Didn't have to remove any plastics, just the tank.  suspended the front and rear sections on several ratchet straps attached to a hook on the rafter.

- I'd like to upgrade the front shocks.  The existing ones are old and rusted.  I don't have money for Ohlins or Wilburs.  Will a good used one from an R1150RT fit?  How about any of the newer model BMWs like the R1200s or R1250s?

I'm now putting together the bike.  For the life of me, I can't remember where the ground cable on the engine goes.  Does it bolt into the empty threaded hole on the left side of the engine beneath the battery tray?  Is it just one hex head bolt that holds it in?  So, maybe some electrical grease and just the bolt?

Eek.  Should've taken a picture.

Thank you,

Capture.JPG