IGNORED

Beautiful design

Warren Dean

Warren Dean
3 hours ago, MarinPhil said:

I’m in San Rafael, Marin Lagoon to be specific.  Been here for 18 yrs.  

Not sure where Marin Lagoon is. My grandparents had a nice place in Loch Lomond, if that's anywhere near where you live. 

Lots of good memories of my life in Marin County....Stinson Beach, Phoenix Lake,  Sausalito....   :)

Cheers!

Warren

Trueairspeed

I agree that the R 1100RT is a beautiful design.  On a trip to San Francisco back in the ‘90s, I was out walking one day when I passed a small garage and inside the open door was the most beautiful motorcycle I had ever seen.  It was a black BMW R 1100RT ready to ride anywhere with a tall tank bag, panniers and top box. I knew one day I would have one and finally five years ago I bought this one from a friend.  At time of purchase it had 4,800 miles on it and now has 21, 000.

Terry

1E767942-96E4-47DC-A64E-52D3D2EA2E48.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm with you Marty...looks like and RV - ? up front.  Not sure of the back..looks like a 140 but the landing light for 140's were those Grimes drop downs in the wing.  Perhaps a mod but not sure.  It does have Whitman gear...  Yeah and that motorcycle is way cool too.

David, I can't name either plane.  Given a choice I rather fly the one in back.  Looks like a good short field plane.  I need to go buy a loto ticket.:4607:

Trueairspeed

Thanks for the kind words.  The airplane in front is a Van’s RV-7 (sportscar, 200 mph with average range of 800 miles).  It first flew in 2010.  The one in the rear is a 4 place Bearhawk (pickup truck). It first flew last August. We remove the rear seat and fill it up with camping gear.

Terry

Thanks...I knew the front was an RV but wasn't sure which one. I have time in the RV but never been in a Bearhawk.  I've only seen one completed. Bearhawk....man that is the cats meow.  Did you build both?  How are they powered?

I'm not a pilot but played a student pilot on TV back in the late eighties. :grin: Anyway, the Van's reminds me of the old Grumman AA-B to my untrained eye. A very cool remake!  :thumbsup: Nice bike too! 

7-noujaim-90-bank-sm-683x1024.jpg

Trueairspeed

Again, thanks.  I did build both.  The RV-7 is powered by Lycoming I0-390 (210 hp) with a Whirlwind composite constant speed prop.  The Engine in the Bearhawk is Lycoming 0-540 (260 hp) and turns a Hartzell constant speed prop.  By the way Twerks your profile picture of the DC-3 brings back memories of the ten years I flew one (both the standard and Basler turbine) with the U.S. Forest Service.

Terry

2 hours ago, Trueairspeed said:

By the way Twerks your profile picture of the DC-3 brings back memories of the ten years I flew one (both the standard and Basler turbine) with the U.S. Forest Service.

Terry

Cool stuff for sure! :thumbsup: Yeah that plane is still AFAIK sitting up at the Greenville Maine Airport.

A vid if interested

• 3 weeks later...
Nicholas-NYS-USA
On 4/1/2020 at 3:58 PM, dduelin said:

From John's Beemer Garage web site.

http://www.beemergarage.com/documents/bmw19953.pdf

I found and bought a 2000 BMW Dealers Brochure on eBay for 9USD. It has photos and a write-up on every available for that year. It's filled with history, specifications, Color choices for the different models and more. The one I got is in Mint condition. It would take me hours to scan, upload and post. Go on eBay; i'm sure you'll find one. I seen them before but they were asking $30USD and up. Then eBay notified me that this one was for sale and I grabbed it. If you appreciate BMW's and have $30 to spend  on one; I can tell you it's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Like many Airhead lovers (still have my '74 R90s), I wasn't smitten by the new RT when it debuted in the mid 90's. Too much plastic. Couldn't see the engine, tiny headlight, etc., etc. Then in 2002 they made some changes with a much better headlight, with fog lamps. Really nice looking 17" wheels, a 6 speed box and more updated controls. It's like the original RT was 90% there and it just needed a few tweaks to win me over. Like the R90s, I believe it's a timeless design and BMW has struggled to match either bike in the last 15-20 years. IMHO of course.

• Like 1
Al up north

I saw my first RT approx 20 years ago. My neighbour was a motorcycle cop (used to say there are only two types of cops. Motorcycle cops and those who want to be motorcycle cops :-) ). Well he has the single seat police version and it looked so sweet just sitting there that I said I would get one eventually. Well it took 20 years but I picked up a 96’ 2 weeks ago and love the lines still, and for the record I love the glacier green! 

Warren Dean
1 hour ago, Mike1997 RT said:

I’m liking mine LOL 

8E49F69A-7115-4E14-82EF-5BA6752CB1B9.jpeg

A twin to mine!  :4323:  A rare picture...freshly washed and no bugs! 

new side view.jpg

I've found myself unable to find the enthusiasm to spend the money on anything newer than an '04, somehow. I had an '02 RT. I only sold it because it blew the splines, and the dealer wanted far too much to fix it - decided it was cheaper to sell the bike to someone with time to fix it and buy another one. So I bought ... an '04 RT. I just couldn't find a reason to buy anything newer and fancier. The R1150RT is just... nice to look at. Now if I could just turn off the damn servo brakes...

(I left the broken RT in the garage for far too long and dallied with a R11S for a while.... so I've forgotten life-with-whizzy-brakes. I lived with them for a decade and change beforehand - bought that '02 in '03 - so I'm sure I'll get used to them again... but they're proof that, well, nothing's perfect.)