IGNORED

Beautiful design

Warren Dean

Warren Dean

Am I the only one here that sometimes just stands back and admires the beautiful lines of the R100 RT series. I cannot get over how it just exudes advanced aerodynamics and handling just sitting still....maybe it's just cabin fever...LOL 

I guess being a lifelong F-1 fan, I just look at things a bit differently.  :)

Cheers!

Warren

6 hours ago, Warren Dean said:

Am I the only one here that sometimes just stands back and admires the beautiful lines of the R100 RT series.

You are not alone in your appreciation of the beautiful R1100/R1150 design. I love its streamliner fairing. I also like the K1200LT bike of that era, maybe even more than the R1100RT with its integrated side cases but they are just too heavy for my tastes so I got the R1100RT instead.  I was not a BMW owner in the middle 1990s when BMW replaced the R100RT airhead with the R1100RT so don't know how it was received by the riders/BMW aficionados.  I'd be interest in hearing from riders from that era and understand how it was received. Personally, I like the R1100RT look better than the later 1200/1250 series bikes. I also like the colors better. Most modern bikes have followed the lead of most car manufactures and are using muted colors, not my favorite honestly. 

Best

Miguel

And, wash your hands

• Like 1
spacewrench

Those bikes were au courant when I was first starting to ride (a 1977 Yamaha 175 Enduro that I bought not running, but something got knocked into whack when I trailered it home, and it ran fine after that except when I'd shear off the Woodruff key that held the magneto together, which I'd replace incorrectly and shear off again a few hundred miles later).  Ahem.

I remember going into the local ABQ BMW dealer and drooling over those bikes.  Even when I got my second bike, a '72 Triumph Tiger 650, I'd visit to check out the BMWs.  The sales guys didn't take me too seriously, but they were still friendlier than the BMW guys now, who I guess can tell I'm not fucking likely to drop $30k on a new bike that I'd be able to pick up from the original owner for $17k in less than a year.  Maybe it's the 'Stich, or maybe the bugs on my helmet, but these days they don't even bother to chat me up.

My R1100S is the bike I wanted in '99 but couldn't afford.  I got it in 2018, for literally no more than a couple years' worth of credit-card rebates.  (It got me back by stripping the clutch last month, but it's still the best bang for buck I've ever ridden!)

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Miguel! said:

I was not a BMW owner in the middle 1990s when BMW replaced the R100RT airhead with the R1100RT so don't know how it was received by the riders/BMW aficionados.  I'd be interest in hearing from riders from that era and understand how it was received. 

Most people considered the R1100 series to be a technological marvel. There was very little, if any, carping about the good old days.  

szurszewski

I bought my first bmw - and my first “proper” motorcycle from the tiny Tacoma BMW dealer in 1997. It was an R60/7 and it was put on the “porch” between a K75 and a GS (R100 I think). I thought those were all swell looking - the K75 a little odd maybe - but when I went inside and saw a brand new R1100RT. Oh my god. 

I lived in Sitka, Alaska at that time. I brought my R60 home on the ferry a few days after I bought it, and soon saw -

maybe the very first day I was back - a

guy I didn’t know (a bit of an oddity on an island with only 6,800 folks) riding an R1100RT the same Glacier Green as the one in the showroom. I clearly remember thinking, I can’t believe someone spent $15,000 on what had to be the ugliest, bulgiest motorcycle ever!

About ten years later I bought an identical RT - no complaints about the riding, and the design had grown on me but I’m still no fan of glacier green. 

I cant recall the first time I saw an R1100S. I was obviously older and maybe by then I’d had the RT and my aesthetic sense had been worn down a bit by it, but I don’t remember ever thinking they were anything less than beautiful. I’ve got two in the garage now and I have been known to spend some time just looking :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, Warren Dean said:

Am I the only one here that sometimes just stands back and admires the beautiful lines of the R100 RT series. I cannot get over how it just exudes advanced aerodynamics and handling just sitting still....maybe it's just cabin fever...LOL 

Cheers!

Warren

yup. I feel the same way about the old girl.   Im also an F1 fan.  ThIngs are not looking good for this season though. Btw, that pesky fly is still stuck in you computer. Have you tried Raid?  

2 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I have been known to spend some time just looking :)

Hah. Me too. I have mine under a cover in the garage (just to keep it clean) but between vacation and recreational riding/driving limitation right now, I haven't uncovered it for 4 weeks. Maybe I'll go do that today! Thanks for your remembrances. 

Miguel

• Like 2

My pet peeve is that the RT has gotten progressively worse in looks (and complicated in maintenance) since the R1100RT. I absolutely hate the frontal view on the current R1250RT. While I'm not a fan of the tupperware excess of the R1100RT, I long for the smooth clean lines that it had or better than that. Even the windshield has devolved into a weird collection of glass pieces on the R1250RT with jagged edges. In fact all the tupperware on the new RT1250RT is an excess of jagged edges.

When I tell people that my R1100RT is 20-years old, they don't believe it. Curves never age! Till death do us apart!

• Like 2
Warren Dean
6 minutes ago, AviP said:

My pet peeve is that the RT has gotten progressively worse in looks (and complicated in maintenance) since the R1100RT. I absolutely hate the frontal view on the current R1250RT. While I'm not a fan of the tupperware excess of the R1100RT, I long for the smooth clean lines that it had or better than that. Even the windshield has devolved into a weird collection of glass pieces on the R1250RT with jagged edges. In fact all the tupperware on the new RT1250RT is an excess of jagged edges.

When I tell people that my R1100RT is 20-years old, they don't believe it. Curves never age! Till death do us apart!

Amen!! The newer iterations are very ugly to my eye. But to each his own. I'll just ride mine until I die. 

Warren Dean

Marin Phil....where do you live in Marin? I am a Marin native myself. Attended Drake High School in 1971-72  and then dad got transferred from the Presidio to Ft. Sam in San Antonio.

Warren,  we live in sand gnat country (coastal Georgia) and sitting on the porch I’ve swatted your little bug many times without success.  (Stationed at Hamilton AFB after returning from SEA in 72, wow has that area gotten “dense”)

• Haha 1
szurszewski
1 hour ago, AviP said:

When I tell people that my R1100RT is 20-years old, they don't believe it. Curves never age!

I had a similar experience during my short period of Ducati ownership. I had an ST2 in 2018/19 got lots of, oh what a nice looking Ducati - how fancy! 

They always seemed a little skeptical when I told them it was nearly 20 years old, and if they asked how much it was worth I think - in their minds anyway - I confirmed myself as a liar when I told them I’d paid $2200 for it. 

6EF40A06-81F2-4674-8C48-25A84AF51511.jpeg

46C8EAFD-ED5C-464B-9122-4B73C6A407EB.jpeg

Warren Dean
15 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

I had a similar experience during my short period of Ducati ownership. I had an ST2 in 2018/19 got lots of, oh what a nice looking Ducati - how fancy! 

They always seemed a little skeptical when I told them it was nearly 20 years old, and if they asked how much it was worth I think - in their minds anyway - I confirmed myself as a liar when I told them I’d paid $2200 for it. 

6EF40A06-81F2-4674-8C48-25A84AF51511.jpeg

46C8EAFD-ED5C-464B-9122-4B73C6A407EB.jpeg

Great bikes are like great wine...they age well and never lose their allure.  :)

There are vehicles where the designers and engineers were in sync. And then somehow a beautiful design is the result.  Doesn't always happen, tho.

The RT is one. A vintage Bonneville, an E type Jag to me, look like the stars aligned. So personal... but I regret passing on an blue RT owned by a maintenance freak for $3500.

Don't miss the extra 100lbs my butt ugly R1100R doesn't carry like the RT.  But an RT is what a sport touring bike is supposed to look....like to me.

Any RS owners out there? Are they the real sweet spot?

• Like 1
Warren Dean
1 hour ago, dave_a said:

There are vehicles where the designers and engineers were in sync. And then somehow a beautiful design is the result.  Doesn't always happen, tho.

The RT is one. A vintage Bonneville, an E type Jag to me, look like the stars aligned. So personal... but I regret passing on an blue RT owned by a maintenance freak for $3500.

Don't miss the extra 100lbs my butt ugly R1100R doesn't carry like the RT.  But an RT is what a sport touring bike is supposed to look....like to me.

Any RS owners out there? Are they the real sweet spot?

Great analogies...I owned a '64 Bonney but never an E-Type...timeless beautiful designs. True beauty is always appealing.

With the vast majority of classic cars, it's the curves that make it a classic. Look at an almost 50-year old Shelby Cobra today and it still looks fantastic. Ferrari designers get it. VW designers get it. Chrysler designers get it. Ford and Honda are just bland. Toyota is into anime for its design elements. And GM designers don't understand proportions and curves. Just look at the new C8 Vette. Fantastic looking concept from the front and sides (although I wished they ironed out the edges) but it looks like they ran out of time with the rear. The butt of the C8 is absolutely horrible.

But back to motorcycles. Ducati is one of the brands that gets it right. BMW Motorad should get some designers from its car division to fix their design. The cars (besides the X6) really get most proportioning details right. Triumph too had good designs withthe combination of curves and machined parts but something seems to have gone awry of late. Indian is another example of good design but I stop liking it when the front end gets too bloated. Harleys and Victory have both good and bad designs. 

I think that our cousins, the K-Bikes, are the only visually attractive bikes from BMW. Perhaps we need some inbreeding! :5146:

Looking strictly at the bike's lines and aerodynamic elements, this is my favorite BMW: the BMW K1200LT. I think the top case is way too big and bulky tho (but they are practical and probably comfortable for the pillion) and they look smashing without the top case but I've never seen a good photo of one without the top case. I love the integrated side cases. So much nicer then boxes that attach to the frame like the RT.

Best

Miguel

image.jpeg

I own a '99 R1100RT and a '15R1200RT. As I've commented on these boards before as far as aesthetics go I still like the bodacious curved lines of the R1100RT best.  I have gotten used the the looks of the '15RT but it reminds me of an Star Wars X Wing Fighter and is not my favorite and anecdotally it seems not preferred by the general public or my wife as well. 

When I have the '99RT out and about I get way more parking lot ogles from riders and non riders alike than I do with the '15RT.  My wife says the '15RT look threatening to her and prefers the looks and the quite gentleman's nature of 99RT better as well.  I typically only get a nice bike ogle from other riders who are knowledgeable about BMW bikes. That said, when riding and can't see anything but the dashboard, there is no doubt at all.  I prefer the '15RTs performance over the '99RT, period!  But you might expect that given my tag line!

• Haha 1

Paul. After you've put on your riding gear and you look at the bikes, which one do you go to if both bikes are suitable for you intended ride? Miguel

I usually pick the the '15 RT 90% of the time if I'm riding alone.  Maybe it is 60% '15RT and 40% '99RT when my wife goes along for a ride.  My wife likes a nice mellow cruise and either bike will do that well.  The '99RT maybe has an advantage to the '15RT for mellow cruising because it is quieter and has Ohlins shocks that I can set to make the ride like you are just floating over the road.  Actually, it would be dangerous to ride faster than a cruising pace with those settings, but with her on board it is cruising only.  The one advantage for the '15RT is my wife tends to pack like were going away for a month even on rides of a couple hours, and there is much more storage on the '15RT. 

Haha.  It might be interesting to have my wife and I get ready without any mention of which bike and then together walk to the bike of choice for the ride.  I have a hunch she would go to the '99RT every time with me standing next to the '15RT most of the time.  I think it might be better to avoid potential conflict of that experiment and I'll just keep the executive decision on which bike to roll out for the ride that day. Hmm, maybe I'll install an accessory "make up" mirror in the lighted interior lid of the top box on '15RT to sway her opinion, but that might not be enough to change her opinion.  She really likes the '99RT to the point she always talks me out of selling it!

Warren Dean

So just for grins, I went to BMW's page and looked at the newer bikes...the K1600 Grand America looks pretty nice EXCEPT for those humungous pipes...WTF??, over..... :5146:

MontanaMark

I have both a 99 R1100RT and a 13 R1200RT.  I bought the 13 last August and have been riding it almost exclusively since the purchase.  The difference in performance and handling is striking.  I plan to sell the 99 sometime this spring, but y'all are right; the looks of the 99 are just sexy.  I do have the storage space to keep both, but I have a friend who's selling a 12 G650 that I want to buy to replace my 09 KLR, so for financial reasons - sell the KLR and R1100RT to finance the G650.

I've gotten used to the sharper lines of the newer RT.  Yup, looks like an X-wing fighter, but I like it better each day.  One thing that there is no doubt about is performance.  And cruise control.  And ride modes. And ASC. And heated seats.  And the link from my Sena to the audio system.  And more storage.  And lighter weight.  That's a lot of 'ands'.

I will always love the looks of the R1100RT.  I liked it so much that my current 99 {Arty2) is my second.  I bought Arty1 in Graphite Grey in 2009.  It had 82k on it when I bought it and 120k+ when I sold it..  I saw Bud selling his 99 in 2014 and jumped on it.  Cannibalized all the stuff I wanted off Arty1 to put on Arty2 (RDL seat, Motolights, ect) and sold the Arty1 for almost what I paid Bud for the new one.  So now Art2 and Arty3 share the shop with FLNBRK and 1 LUNG.

Guess I may have to change my avatar...:D

Cheers,

Mark

Morning__

After riding Air Heads I couldn't stand the looks of the 1100RT when it first came out, too much plastic covering mechanicals, odd looking headlight, strange looking 3 spoke wheels, front fender looking bulky. 

Then, after owning a few 1100RT bikes they kind of grew on me & the older air heads looked, well-old & dated. 

The 1100RT looks grew on me until I pretty well accepted the modern look & new generation drive train. Actually warmed up to the looks of the 1100RT & the 1100RT rode out great at moderate high speeds. Turned out to be a much nicer motorcycle than I originally figured it would. 

All was good between me & the 1100RT UNTIL the 1150RT came out, right off that bike did something for me, more refined front end plastics,  better looking wheels, 17" rear wheel, 6 speed transmission, more responsive ABS. To this day the 1150RT is probably my favorite BWM (on-road) "boxer-bike" to look at (other than the 1100S) . If it only came with cruise control & more engine power  then I might even ride my old 1150RT a bit more other than locally. (I have owned (2) 1100RT’s & (3) 1150RT's plus a few that I bought to repair, ride for a while, then re-sell over the years)  

Then the BMW 1200 hexhead came out, I couldn't stand the looks of that oddball motorcycle compared to the 1150RT that I was riding at the time  but after riding a "dealer teaser" 1200RT  (dealer had a couple for test rides before they had any in country to actually delver to customers) I was sold on the drivetrain improvements, braking improvements, better transmission gear  ratio spacing, seating improvements, & cruise control. I ordered one that day. Still (to me anyhow)  not the greatest looking motorcycle but I couldn't see the darn thing when sitting on it so the looks became secondary to the drivetrain,  high speed cruising stability, & cruise control. One of the few BMW motorcycles that I could ride for 12 hours straight & not feel numb.

At one time I had plans of grafting the 1200 hexhead drivetrain into an 1150RT chassis complete with  I-ABS gen2 brake system & all. But  over time I  decided it just wasn't worth the time &  effort as the 1200RT worked just great as built by BMW &, as mentioned, I can't see it while sitting on it anyhow. 

I learned long ago that--  put ‘me’ on the nicest looking BMW boxer in the parking lot on a bike with tricked-out accessories & fancy paint job  then put a pretty young girl on a beater-looking old  BMW 650 then guess who gets all the looks, inquiries, & attention?  

IMG_2738.JPG

40 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

I learned long ago that--  put ‘me’ on the nicest looking BMW boxer in the parking lot on a bike with tricked-out accessories & fancy paint job  then put a pretty young girl on a beater-looking old  BMW 650 then guess who gets all the looks, inquiries, & attention?  

Maybe you could up the attention if you wore a halter top?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Paul De said:

5 hours ago, Paul De said:

Morning Paul 

Problem is that would probably be the  attention of the police.

Actually when it comes to motorcycles & 4 wheel vehicles I like the most non-descript vehicle available that suits my needs  as I ride & drive pretty fast so vehicle attention is a non desired trait. 

I have owned a few "ticket-me-red"  Ducati's & as far as I am concerned they totally lived up to their names. 

On 3/27/2020 at 11:17 PM, Miguel! said:

You are not alone in your appreciation of the beautiful R1100/R1150 design. I love its streamliner fairing. I also like the K1200LT bike of that era, maybe even more than the R1100RT with its integrated side cases but they are just too heavy for my tastes so I got the R1100RT instead.  I was not a BMW owner in the middle 1990s when BMW replaced the R100RT airhead with the R1100RT so don't know how it was received by the riders/BMW aficionados.  I'd be interest in hearing from riders from that era and understand how it was received. Personally, I like the R1100RT look better than the later 1200/1250 series bikes. I also like the colors better. Most modern bikes have followed the lead of most car manufactures and are using muted colors, not my favorite honestly. 

Best

Miguel

And, wash your hands

I bought a 1993 R100RT brand new as I was reluctant to embrace the new Oilhead design coming out. I thought the first R1100RS was beautiful but after test riding one, the surging made it un-ridable. The R100 did everything well except two things. It was really down on power with the small valve, R80 heads, low compression and the heat behing the fairing on anything over 70F, was horrendous. In 2002, I test rode a R1150RT and was hooked. And yes, the bike is beautiful. I get compliments nearly every time I take it out.

Well, I guess I was lucky or the good Lord was smiling down on me. I am a latecomer to BMW, and sort of by accident. I was looking to buy a used motorcycle to get back into riding, and a 2003 R1150RT was for sale for a good price. Knowing nothing about BMW motorcycles except for the reputation BMW has for well-engineered cars, I test rode the bike and was hooked.

I've been looking at some '12 and '13 R1200RTs at my local dealers, but so far haven't ridden one. I, too, like the look of the '03 MUCH better than the newer ones (which remind me of Transformers). I like the power and handling of my '03, but I've never ridden any of the newer ones. Who knows, I might be persuaded by better power and handling and lighter weight.

There is absolutely no question about the handling and power of the newer R-bikes but the point here wasn't the lack of performance. It was that the performance wasn't wrapped attractively.

• Like 2
Warren Dean
On 3/27/2020 at 7:25 PM, Warren Dean said:

Cheers!

Warren

Dammm...I just realized I put R100RT instead of R1100RT in the OP...What a putz!!  LOL

33 minutes ago, Warren Dean said:

Dammm...I just realized I put R100RT instead of R1100RT in the OP...What a putz!!  LOL

Looking at the list of bikes in your signature, I think most of us figured it out :18:

Warren Dean
23 minutes ago, RogerC60 said:

Looking at the list of bikes in your signature, I think most of us figured it out :18:

Yeah...I know...but I still feel silly...LOL

13 hours ago, dirtrider said:

I have owned a few "ticket-me-red"  Ducati's & as far as I am concerned they totally lived up to their names. 

That is so true.  I had a red Kawi GPz that won me about one ticket a year.   Got my '99RT (Boston Green) and rode it as fast and as silly as the GPz, nothing nada.  Even had a few cops see me do it and they just ignored me.  Whether it was the red color or the sport bike VS touring bike looks, my '99RT made my shenanigans somehow invisible.

Thanks to all who posted their impressions of the R1100RT when it first burst onto the scene in the middle 90s. Sounds like, for the most part, it was a hit. And the R1150 even more so. Thanks DR for distinguishing between the 1100 and 1150. I always like both bike designs but completely agree that the R1150RT front end is much classier. The R1100/1150RT design alway harken back to the 1930-1950 Art Deco period which is amongst my favorite art and design periods. When people ask me about my R1100RT I always tell them its my Art Deco motorcycle. 

Regarding sharp edges, I also like the smooth curves of the body fairing. It carries over into my 16 year-old car from 2004 as well.The Checker and Dodge Meadowbrook are shuttles for a local restaurant. IMG_1091.thumb.jpeg.51c5cccfdf5e8f95ef3656cf074d10c2.jpeg

I think it was Lexus who started the sharp edged design in todays cars starting about 2012. And GM followed suit with the Corvette and then into much more of their line. The sharp edges don't hold as much appeal to me. Toyota, which owns Lexus, has also adopted the sharp edges as well, look at the new Prius.

Thanks all for taking the time.

Cheers. Miguel

The Pearl White paint offered in those first years was one of the finest moto paints I ever had the pleasure to have on a bike.  Very forgiving over the years, buffed up gleaming, hid my mistakes. 

Hi Sam,  You're right about the pearl coat paint being very tough.  Somewhere I read that this model has 5 coats of clear which might be true.  A lot of new bikes come with water based paint which is very soft.  I've kind of been interested in a '99 R1100RT with only about 2.5K miles  but the owner is pretty firm on the price that being $8K.  The bike is dealer maintained and just got new tires even so VERY tempting. The bike is as pristine as my RS and compared to a new bike, which I would never buy, 8K is cheap very cheap so I don't know.  Might have to jump on the FJR and head up Montana way and have a look at her.  Funny thing is the RT is less than 100 miles from where I found the FJR another one owner very low miles find with less than 1K miles 4 years ago.

Well, in that first year, I think the choices were Pearl White or Turquoise, which was a real "what the hell were they thinking" paint color.  Reminds me of the lavender K75s from about 5 years before (I chose the Marrakech Red).

OTOH, I still have an Aquamint 1150RT.  THAT color has grown on me.

szurszewski
4 hours ago, JamesW said:

I've kind of been interested in a '99 R1100RT with only about 2.5K miles  but the owner is pretty firm on the price that being $8K.  The bike is dealer maintained and just got new tires even so VERY tempting. The bike is as pristine as my RS and compared to a new bike, which I would never buy, 8K is cheap very cheap so I don't know.  Might have to jump on the FJR and head up Montana way and have a look at her.  

That's funny - I would have sworn you just said :

On 3/29/2020 at 11:13 AM, JamesW said:

Nope, don't want another bike.  I'm on my last two motorcycles.

;)

1 hour ago, szurszewski said:

That's funny - I would have sworn you just said :

On 3/29/2020 at 11:13 AM, JamesW said:

Nope, don't want another bike.  I'm on my last two motorcycles.

;)

I know I know but I've been drooling all over my Mac Book for several months over this primo RT.  Susie sez a bike would have to go and that would be the FJR just the way it is.  But I just two weeks ago spent $350 on it getting the ECU flashed by Ivan and by god it was worth it.  My biggest issue has been clunky shifting with a tendency to lurch.  This was caused by engine shut down when rolling off the throttle when shifting not drive train slop as I thought.  I believe the BMW also experiences this issue to a degree.  I asked Ivan why he can't do his thing on a BMW and all he would say is that he just isn't going there.  Well, he said a few other things as well which we won't discuss and I kind of agree with him on most points as far as that goes.  I believe this engine shut down is common to most fuel injected bikes.  The long and short is my FJR performs as if it is carbureted and the carburetors are in perfect tune.  Would be hard to part with it but jeez that RT is tempting.:/  This engine shut down is accomplished by the ECU shutting down the fuel injectors on most bikes I think.

There is an old thread started by Roger04 back in 2012 that discusses this engine shut down when rolling off the throttle during shifting on his R1150RT which makes for some interesting reading if you're interested.  Sorry, don't have a link but you can do a search.

On 3/28/2020 at 1:44 PM, Warren Dean said:

Marin Phil....where do you live in Marin? I am a Marin native myself. Attended Drake High School in 1971-72  and then dad got transferred from the Presidio to Ft. Sam in San Antonio.

I’m in San Rafael, Marin Lagoon to be specific.  Been here for 18 yrs.