IGNORED

Sheltering in place and making sawdust

LittleBriar

On 3/30/2020 at 9:34 AM, LittleBriar said:

Ha! That's actually the project I'm working on now. I bought an old shuffleboard table, refinished the slab and scrapped the stand. I'm planning to make a Rock-Ola replica. The design work is almost complete but I need some hardwood and not sure I want to venture out there to get it even if my regular source might be open. Here's what I plan to replicate.

small248.jpg

I just finished my shuffleboard project and managed to talk a friend to come over and help me move it from my upstairs shop in the pole barn to the basement. It's 20 ft. long and was made in 2 10 ft. sections. I used walnut and curly maple. I still need to get a few strong guys to help me install the playing surface slab. It's over 400 lbs.

smallDSC00936.JPG

smallDSC00939.JPG

3 hours ago, LittleBriar said:

I just finished my shuffleboard project and managed to talk a friend to come over and help me move it from my upstairs shop in the pole barn to the basement. It's 20 ft. long and was made in 2 10 ft. sections. I used walnut and curly maple. I still need to get a few strong guys to help me install the playing surface slab. It's over 400 lbs.

smallDSC00936.JPG

smallDSC00939.JPG

My father was in the amusement machine business. Pinball, pool tables, shuffleboard, and jukeboxes in bars and beer joints. I wish I had had the wherewithal to keep some of the machines he had. I remember Kiss, Evel Kneviel, pinball machines among others. I helped him move many shuffleboard tables. Beautiful pieces of maple and as you said very heavy. Our workbench in the garage was an old shuffleboard that had so many coats of shellac if I remember correctly. I do know you could hammer on it and not worry about it. He eventually got dollies to move all of the equipment to save his back. Them was the days

Sigh

1653782489_Slabsfortables.thumb.png.2818aa885562785a1338a832b631e915.png1477391811_PostVise.thumb.png.afe0986f402cc26931e1caf3b39113c3.png

I prefer a less accurate sort of carpentry.  The above slabs came out of a 900 pound 32" diameter 32" long oak chunk that took some work to slice with a 14" chain saw. They will either become table tops or firewood, it depends on how the next step goes.  On the right is my post vise mounted on an 18" pine log with some bits removed to make it a little lighter so i can move it around my forge.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

^^^^  Good looking work in the posts above.

I'm getting closer to returning to shop work.

Amazing how the human body can heal after injury.

IMG_20200901_125404.jpg

31 minutes ago, Bud said:

IMG_20200901_125404.jpg

Table Saw?

40 minutes ago, Bud said:

IMG_20200901_125404.jpg

"TWO INCHES, STAY TWO INCHES FROM THE BLADE AND KEEP ALL FINGERS ALIGNED"-as my shop teacher would say

Ouch! :eek:
 I have one of those, not as bad and not from a saw but from running my thumb through a bicycle sprocket as a kid. Don’t ask. :facepalm: I call it my “ass thumb” :D

FD42D5A9-7AA1-4192-A38A-57B7E77EB357.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bud said:

Amazing how a picture can ruin an appetite.

I was thinking of a late breakfast/early lunch, but I think it will now be a very late lunch.

It does look like that will eventually heal, so I'm glad it was not worse.

:18:

Oh, consider THIS.

I bought one of those too just after a close call. I still have all my digits.

They are not only safe but really an excellent quality tool. I love mine.

9 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I call it my “ass thumb” 

From a slightly different perspective, it could also be the "cleavage thumb."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saw Stop was a good move.  Looks like the thumb is healing fine! :thumbsup:

Much better to replace a Hundred Twenty Dollar blade and a Hundred Dollar cartridge than losing a finger(s)

Good luck with the next project. 

11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Ouch! :eek:
 I have one of those, not as bad and not from a saw but from running my thumb through a bicycle sprocket as a kid. 

I did the same with my finger as a kid, cut the tip off, had it sewed back on. Not one of my smarter moves. Hurts like hell when it gets cold, still, after all these years.

• Like 1

Years back I worked construction on very high end homes. One morning as our crew started filtering in  , one of them said he had a small home project and needed to

use the carpenters table saw for a minute. The rest of us went up to the second floor to get ready for work . Within minutes  he came up with his hand wrapped in a bloody rag and said that he cut himself and needs to go to a hospital ,  luckily there was one only about 5 min. away. I said I would take him and as we were going to my car I told one of the crew to please clean the blood  off of the carpenters saw. As we pulled up to the emergency room , my co worker calls and said that he found two fingers on the ground . The E.R. nurse took a look and said they could not sew them back on .  When I got back to the job the siding crew was setting up and I mentioned to one of them what happened. He smiled and said he knows the feeling. held up his hand  with a couple of fingers missing  
The fingers were put in a sandwich bag and hung on the fireplace mantle . At the end of the day, they went into the dumpster

15 hours ago, taylor1 said:

The fingers were put in a sandwich bag and hung on the fireplace mantle . At the end of the day, they went into the dumpster

Such a waste! I still have the shriveled end of my thumb (no bone - just  the cap of skin, a little flesh and the entire nail) in a tic-tac container in my top drawer; with two fingers he could have made TWO cocktail mixers. ;)

• Like 1