IGNORED

Sheltering in place and making sawdust

John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, Bud said:

My daughter asked me to make a contain for her Golden Retreiver's ashes.

158532987592.jpg

Very nicely done.  I've tried woodworking several times in my craftsman career, once going all in with a complete Festool shop, but, alas, the hobby takes more patience than I could muster.  I made one item, a room divider, of hand-oiled walnut.  Finished that project, cascaded some tools to kids, kept some and sold the rest.

image.thumb.png.a4da6eced011c2dddabae85d9179c8c4.png

John, you are a man of many talents!  Beautiful screen.

I like working with wood because, when I make a mistake, it is no big deal because wood grows on trees. :wave:

Beautiful pieces both! :thumbsup: 

Not even close to occupying the same turf but I made this in HS shop class back in 81. I guess the real reason I held on to it is I gave it to my mother and she used it almost daily up until her passing in 94. She may have even hinted that it was her prized possession. But, that’s what mothers do/say.

My Duck Lamp! :D

0168981D-AD51-47DE-ACE6-02502D2DD5CE.jpeg

• Like 3
RandyShields
24 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Not even close to occupying the same turf but I made this in HS shop class back in 81. I guess the real reason I held on to it is I gave it to my mother and she used it almost daily up until her passing in 94. She may have even hinted that it was her prized possession. But, that’s what mothers do/say.

Nice!  I have absolutely no woodworking talent, but here is my traced Walnut project from HS shop class.  Still have a bunch of their vinyl LPs!

Chicago.jpg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

What a great object. Has that patina of time. Good memories for you about your mom. I'm sure she was proud.

I made a coffee table out of mahogany in my Jr HS shop class. One of my relatives sat on it and it broke into pieces. :dopeslap:

My wife wants me to create an wooden interior covering for our new boat.  I haven't sketched it out yet but it will looks something like this: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxuyKRCdgtE6fZuN8uL72

Going to make it out of cherry, oiled so it will naturally darken to a warm color.

• Like 1
LittleBriar

Finished this poker table last week. Unfortunately none of my friends are allowed to come out and play. Boohoo.

small20200318_164316.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, LittleBriar said:

Finished this poker table last week. Unfortunately none of my friends are allowed to come out and play. Boohoo.

small20200318_164316.jpg

Very nice work.  

szurszewski
1 hour ago, LittleBriar said:

small20200318_164316.jpg

That’s impressive! Until your friends are cleared to come over, maybe you can volunteer to foster some dogs from a local shelter... 

Hey - is that some sort of magnetic next level shuffleboard table back there? I’ve never seen one on a vertical plane ;)

Started this bowl last week from some wood my BIL gave me, got it finished up and started another piece from a tree cut down last year.  Pretty wild grain, I think its some sort of cherry.

cFFgrPX.jpg

c2ZrOhb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Impressive skills from everyone here! My skill is almost being able to cut a 2x4 with a straight line. I excel at making sawdust, not so much a useable product.

• Haha 1

I don't have a woodworking shop, but I did turn this tree and a couple others into this modified timber frame a few years ago.

14-07-IMG_6514 (2019_06_30 20_36_31 UTC).jpg

13-DSCF1846 (2019_06_30 20_36_31 UTC)-001.jpg

17-10-IMG_6628 (2019_06_30 20_36_31 UTC).jpg

27-13-DSCF0782 (2019_06_30 20_36_31 UTC).jpg

34-21-2009 Aug 09 020 (2019_06_30 20_36_31 UTC).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
On 3/27/2020 at 3:59 PM, Bud said:

John, you are a man of many talents!  Beautiful screen.

I like working with wood because, when I make a mistake, it is no big deal because wood grows on trees. :wave:

I like working with metal, 'cause when you cut a piece too short, you can weld a piece back on.  

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
On 3/27/2020 at 4:30 PM, TEWKS said:

John Bundy, a local guy and riverkeeper owns Bundy Ducks.  All made from cedar.  Some stained with some proprietary method.  I have a hen, mallard and chick in this line:

image.png.9fcdd0a63526d6d4a5bc17e7abfc8223.png

Don't think people use them as such, but they're working decoys.

Classic-Ducks-Display.jpg

• Like 4
szurszewski
22 minutes ago, Shane J. said:

I don't have a woodworking shop, but I did turn this tree and a couple others into this modified timber frame a few years ago.

Is that YOUR mill? Shit - I was impressed with your tire machine...

I’ve got some sketches for a shop/barn/apartment I’m going to email you in case you’re bored at home and have time to share some armchair engineering thoughts....

1 hour ago, Shane J. said:

That is some beautiful wood...and your craftsmanship isn't bad either!  Good stuff!

1 hour ago, szurszewski said:

I’ve got some sketches for a shop/barn/apartment

Hey Josh, are you thinking timeber-frame?  I'm planning something similar at my place near Big Lake, AK.  Spruce beetles have killed lots of trees in the area and I'll end up taking down about 20 big spruce (pine) trees.  But haven't decided whether to do a pole-shed type structure, or something else.  Have to do a lot of dirt fill first.

Nice mill work there, and structure.

szurszewski
37 minutes ago, Ken S said:

Hey Josh, are you thinking timeber-frame?  I'm planning something similar at my place near Big Lake, AK.  Spruce beetles have killed lots of trees in the area and I'll end up taking down about 20 big spruce (pine) trees.  But haven't decided whether to do a pole-shed type structure, or something else.  Have to do a lot of dirt fill first.

Nice mill work there, and structure.

I LOVE timber frame stuff, but have never tried making anything. The napkin-sketch I mentioned above does (or could) have a timber frame section in it.

When you get around to the doing stuff part of your plans, I'd love to come up and help* - keep me posted!

*by help I mean mostly get in the way but occasionally perform enough useful grunt work to sort of justify putting up with me while I try to steal as much knowledge as I can. 

2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

John Bundy, a local guy and riverkeeper owns Bundy Ducks.  All made from cedar.  Some stained with some proprietary method.  I have a hen, mallard and chick in this line:

image.png.9fcdd0a63526d6d4a5bc17e7abfc8223.png

Don't think people use them as such, but they're working decoys.

Classic-Ducks-Display.jpg

Wow, that is some beautiful work. Works of art for sure even if they are functional.

John Ranalletta
24 minutes ago, Bud said:

Wow, that is some beautiful work. Works of art for sure even if they are functional.

John Bundy developed a proprietary dyeing process.  In the 2nd photo, the blues are not blue dye but whatever chemicals he uses brings out those hues and colors.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Is that YOUR mill? Shit - I was impressed with your tire machine...

I’ve got some sketches for a shop/barn/apartment I’m going to email you in case you’re bored at home and have time to share some armchair engineering thoughts....

Not mine Josh, I just got to use it. That mill has a long history in Olympia.

I would enjoy looking at your sketches, I have done a lot of building.

Mill in action, pile of rough cut timbers, perspective on how big the main tree was. I ran the back end of the mill, dealing with wood as it came through.

I love those ducks.

25-16-DSCF0767 (2019_06_30 20_36_31 UTC).jpg

26-15-DSCF0776 (2019_06_30 20_36_31 UTC).jpg

19-12-IMG_6685 (2019_06_30 20_36_31 UTC).jpg

• Like 1
8 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I'd love to come up and help*

Yah, youbetcha.  Will let you know.  Lots of projects planned this summer, but will have to see how things are going at that point.

BTW, this is our house in Anchorage: timber-frame log house built in '64, about the time of the big Alaska earthquake.  It has a lot of "character"*.

*character: almost nothing is square, level or plumb in the place.

IMG_3229.thumb.JPG.0dd0519a853d8455582229ca65699428.JPGIMG_4126.thumb.JPG.296845af2cb17f23dcee29add8537b11.JPG

• Like 2

Dang, y'all have skills, well done.  As for me, when not teleworking, I am practicing my drums.  I bring it up as in the world of music, we call it wood shedding.  Kinda sorta related to the topic ... :4907:

LittleBriar
22 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Hey - is that some sort of magnetic next level shuffleboard table back there? I’ve never seen one on a vertical plane ;)

Ha! That's actually the project I'm working on now. I bought an old shuffleboard table, refinished the slab and scrapped the stand. I'm planning to make a Rock-Ola replica. The design work is almost complete but I need some hardwood and not sure I want to venture out there to get it even if my regular source might be open. Here's what I plan to replicate.

small248.jpg

szurszewski
2 hours ago, LittleBriar said:

Ha! That's actually the project I'm working on now. I bought an old shuffleboard table, refinished the slab and scrapped the stand. I'm planning to make a Rock-Ola replica. The design work is almost complete but I need some hardwood and not sure I want to venture out there to get it even if my regular source might be open. Here's what I plan to replicate.

small248.jpg

That’s fantastic! Hope you’ll post up some action videos when you get it done. 

There’s one here in the house, but not nearly so cool. 

(it’s starboard of the Duc, in case you’re having trouble finding it ;) )

F4AAB984-4E53-4D30-B375-159FEF2D337D.thumb.jpeg.0563557de6c36fb1c88c195d43f9aa56.jpeg

Jeepers I was expecting sawdust.  Except for the sawmill all I see is a bunch of fine woodwork.  Talk about misleading headlines.:4322:

• Like 2

Those decoys are very cool. Duck hunting and decoy carving go way back in the area I live
Every first weekend in December the Island host's a decoy festival. Carvers show up from all across the country.
There are thousands of people who show up for the event , and hundred of vendors selling their wares.
There is a National Park museum at the end of the Island that is based on the local carvings and heritage
It always blows my mind on some of the old carvings and the big $$$$ they go for 

Nancy thought it would be nice to make something for our new boat. 

I'm removing a bunch of rod holders and have holes to cover so this design will be in the center of a long board.

IMG_20200405_223135.jpg

• Like 9
On 4/6/2020 at 6:25 AM, Bud said:

Nancy thought it would be nice to make something for our new boat. 

Bud, what kind of tool did you use to do that?  I can't imagine anyone being that good with a router.

szurszewski
35 minutes ago, Ken S said:

Bud, what kind of tool did you use to do that?  I can't imagine anyone being that good with a router.

He assures me it’s all done with a rusty file and nail clippers. ;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ken S said:

Last night I told Nancy that I felt like I was cheating. 

It is a ShopBot Desktop CNC router.

DT3_FullBed_wSpoilBoard.jpg

Here is a link to the website:  https://www.shopbottools.com/products/desktop

I bought it used earlier this year. Like most toys, (including BMW motorcycles),  the first owner takes a hit and then the next guy gets a deal. Paid less than 1/2 price of new. :18:

I started with an entry level machine I bought on flea bay as a kit. Had it for 7 years but wanted something better made and more accurate. This one has a 18" X 24" bed with a 5" Z axis. 

Using VCarve Pro 10 CAD software.  https://www.vectric.com/products/vcarve-pro

It has a pretty steep learning curve but is well supported with a great forum and users group so any questions can quickly be answered.

I did ride to Wally World today with my son. He rode his Guzzi. I stayed in the parking lot while he shopped. He then wiped everything down with wipes before taking the stuff home in our side cases. Had a 20 pack of Scott's TP bunged on the seat behind me. No paper towels available.  

Warm here today 82 degrees. Warm tomorrow then cold front and back to 60's for a high for the next three days. Farmers starting field work. Spring is close.

Friend of mine requested a turkey.

The second picture shows the relative size of a couple of the tapered ball nose bits used.

IMG_20200410_122342.jpg

IMG_20200410_090617.jpg

• Like 3
LittleBriar

Hey Bud,

I've recently acquired a Shark CNC router which uses the same Vcarve software. I'm still steep on the learning curve on both the software and the machining but it's fantastic. This was one of my first projects. It's 24"x48".

smallpeninsula resort.jpg

• Like 1
LittleBriar
9 hours ago, Bud said:

Nice. What bits did you use on the sign?

The wood is cedar which I'm sure you know is very soft so I had to mill slowly with shallow passes. If not, the thinner standing segments would break off. I think I ended up using 1/4" EM roughing with shallow passes and 1/8" EM Finish passes. Took quite a while to machine but at least you don't have to watch it the whole time.

That's an excellent job in ceder!:18:

Finish? Oil or poly or something else?

What is the font?

Edited by Bud
Added question
23 hours ago, LittleBriar said:

Hey Bud,

I've recently acquired a Shark CNC router which uses the same Vcarve software. I'm still steep on the learning curve on both the software and the machining but it's fantastic. This was one of my first projects. It's 24"x48".imageproxy.php?img=&key=6a3749c85cdc35aeimageproxy.php?img=&key=6a3749c85cdc35aeimageproxy.php?img=&key=6a3749c85cdc35ae

smallpeninsula resort.jpg

I quess it is just on my mind - I thought the beautifully done sign read for "Motorcycle Guests Only" :19:

• Haha 1
LittleBriar
7 hours ago, Bud said:

That's an excellent job in ceder!:18:

Finish? Oil or poly or something else?

What is the font?

I used Spar Urethane. I believe the black is just exterior house paint. That sign should last a long time.

I pulled the font off their website. It's called ShangriLa NF. I had to buy it but I think it was cheap. I like it though and will be able to use it on other projects. I had to convert the text to curves and tweak some areas that got really skinny but I learned how to do that pretty quickly. VCarve Pro is amazing software.

• 3 weeks later...