IGNORED

Aftermarket Moto GPS: TomTom Rider 550 or Zumo 396 LMT-S or

EvilTwin

I'm looking to upgrade to a GPS that can do a better job of integrating my phone along with the gps routing and will let me listen to radio or music off the phone as well.  I know i could just mount my phone on the handlebar, but that is not what I'm looking to do right now.  I'd also like to be able to move it between at least two bikes, so a ram mount with some sort of cigarette lighter adapter would be the easiest way to accomplish that.  I'm currently using a couple of older garmin nuvi's that do ok for nav, but have no bluetooth and I dont listen to the speakers due to that whole motorcycle/helmet/earplug thing.

The TomTom rider 550 is about 256 right now, quite a bit discounted.  The Garmin Zumo 396 is about 310.  That is about as much as I would want to spend.  The R12RT has no factory wiring other than power for the GPS,  the other bike which is also an RT weird enough (Can Am) has a 12v plug I installed in the dash, hooked up to come on with the ignition.

Any thought one way or the other?

Thanks,

Bob

On 3/7/2020 at 3:08 PM, EvilTwin said:

Thanks.  I saw it, nice unit but not looking to spend that much.

Sorry if this is overly spammy, but I have a 395 for sale; it's a capable navigator, works well with my Cardo Packtalk Bold, comes with a couple extra power supplies and brackets for mounting to other bikes, also has the tire pressure sensors which I love.  The 396 is nice, but loses the ability to integrate with the tire pressure sensors.

Hi.  I ended up just buying a 396.  Now if you would consider selling one of the mounts that you have that would let me set it up for both bikes.  You can pm me if you like and we can talk.  Thanks.  Bob

17 minutes ago, EvilTwin said:

Hi.  I ended up just buying a 396.  Now if you would consider selling one of the mounts that you have that would let me set it up for both bikes.  You can pm me if you like and we can talk.  Thanks.  Bob

I'd like to keep the set together for now. Hope you enjoy the 396!

On 3/13/2020 at 3:08 PM, EvilTwin said:

The 396 does not use the same mount as the 390/395 series (I have a 396).

As I see there are two options. 1) If you register your 396 with Garmin using the Garmin Express app you ahould get an email from Garmin offing a 10% discount on accessories. Use that to purchase an additional mount and cable. Yeah, it's still spending more $$.

2) Modify the 396 power cable to use a waterproof quick-disconnect. (I've used these: https://www.amazon.com/MUYI-Waterproof-Connector-1-5mm-Terminal/dp/B01A6LTK44/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1PMDT8APASFCI&dchild=1&keywords=waterproof+quick+connect+wire+connectors&qid=1584643744&sprefix=waterproof+quick+%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-3)

I did that on a 590 and moved the 590 mount/cable between a R1200RT and a R1200R.

11 minutes ago, blalor said:

I thought they were the same, just rotated 90°?

That could be, I don't have a 395 mount in my hand to test fit. In my limited research certain things led me to believe the clamping mechanism is different, plus the position of the power plug. I could very well be wrong, I often *am* wrong.

I decided to not take a chance with the older mount.

Edit: I did find this on an Australian review: "The zumo 396 LMT-S uses the same powered mount as the 395 and 390 models."

https://blog.ja-gps.com.au/2018/04/garmin-zumo-396-lmt-s-vs-garmin-zumo-395-lm-whats-changed/

2 hours ago, shuber said:

The 396 does not use the same mount as the 390/395 series (I have a 396).

As I see there are two options. 1) If you register your 396 with Garmin using the Garmin Express app you ahould get an email from Garmin offing a 10% discount on accessories. Use that to purchase an additional mount and cable. Yeah, it's still spending more $$.

2) Modify the 396 power cable to use a waterproof quick-disconnect. (I've used these: https://www.amazon.com/MUYI-Waterproof-Connector-1-5mm-Terminal/dp/B01A6LTK44/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1PMDT8APASFCI&dchild=1&keywords=waterproof+quick+connect+wire+connectors&qid=1584643744&sprefix=waterproof+quick+%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-3)

I did that on a 590 and moved the 590 mount/cable between a R1200RT and a R1200R.

For now what I have done is used a marine grade (Blue Sea Systems) cigarette lighter plug on the end of the wire that came with the unit.  Both bikes were powering Nuvi GPS's this way.  So all I have to do is loosen up the thumb screw on the ram mount and unplug the lighter and I can move it from one bike to the other in about 30 seconds.  Not quite as convenient as popping it out of the quick release mount, but way cheaper.  If one does come up used for a good price, I'll buy it but I'm in no rush.

From what I found online, the 350 mount works on the later 395 and similar units.  Just two electrical contacts and the mechanism to click it in.

I've been using several Garmin Nuvi series gps's  (765, 2797, 3590) on my bikes for 3 plus years now.  We have been in some real wet weather for hours numerous times without problems from the units or the wiring.  Cell phones, too, no issues.  I do connect an SAE connector to the battery charger pigtail up and into the tank bag where it connects to the USB or cig lighter from the GPS and phone.  A lanyard to any of these is recommended.  AMHIK.

9 hours ago, Lowndes said:

I've been using several Garmin Nuvi series gps's  (765, 2797, 3590) on my bikes for 3 plus years now.  We have been in some real wet weather for hours numerous times without problems from the units or the wiring.  Cell phones, too, no issues.  I do connect an SAE connector to the battery charger pigtail up and into the tank bag where it connects to the USB or cig lighter from the GPS and phone.  A lanyard to any of these is recommended.  AMHIK.

I was ok with using the Nuvi's for navigation, they worked just fine for that.  But it was always a pain if I wanted to listen to something through the sena or if a call came in with no way of knowing who it was from.  So when this unit dropped price to 250 and I got an additional ten off on it I jumped.  So far I'm pleased with it, though it does have some quirks I havent quite worked through.   For instance, if I am listening to the built in radio on the Sena and I get near an intersection with a traffic light camera, it mutes the radio but I dont hear a warning.  The display does pop up an alert however.  

The problem may be the order in which the sena and phone connect to the garmin.  The sena has to be able to connect to both or both connect to the phone, I'm not sure.   I haven't used the system much except for two rides between rain and working from home due to the virus.  Eventually I'll figure it out.