IGNORED

Garmin launches new Zumo XT

ltljohn

Since my 660 went skidding down the road after popping out of it's mount last year it has acted a bit odd sometimes.  I am seriously looking at the new XT model  LINKY

I looked at the specs yesterday and cannot determine whether you can download routes to it or not. I may have to call them to clarify. 

I agree that the pricing is much better than past Zumo models. 

Chris, from what I've read/seen, you can transfer GPX files to the device from your phone.  Begs the question as to wether you can also do that directly from Basecamp by plugging the device into your computer.  The specs also don't tell you how many routes, or tracks, you can have in the Trip Planner app, nor how many via points you can have in any given route etc.  I also had a look at the manual, but it's pretty light on detail.  There are a few review videos in Dutch, but you can read the English sub-titles.

I usually search online for the owners manual to see how a device is supposed to work before purchasing.  Garmin has the Zumo XT downloadable PDF manual here:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-E024D22C-EA17-40B3-A63F-E9535D86014B/EN-US/zumo_XT_OM_Help_EN-US.pdf

Online version here:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-E024D22C-EA17-40B3-A63F-E9535D86014B/EN-US/GUID-F66B902F-F556-42A7-9790-4CF622469D90-homepage.html

Buried deep in the appendix under "Data Management", it says that data can be imported from BaseCamp, so I'd expect downloading tracks, routes and POI to be the same as other recent Zumo models. Memory is so cheap that I doubt that the number of via points, tracks, routes, etc. have been reduced.  

I really expected a new Zumo to respond to voice commands like some of the Garmin automotive models do. I don't see any incentive to replace a 59x or recent Navigator. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure to what level Basecamp will be compatible. Will transfer to device still work?

It says data can be transfered to Garmin Explore. But then again there is still the Trip planner app. And GPX files can be copied to the internal memory. 

It's confusing.

Thanks for finding this Larry! It is on page 22 of the PDF manual.

My Zumo 665 is still working great but this is tempting.

• 2 weeks later...

So I called Garmon and I was lucky enough to get a tech-support person who does some quality-control testing and he actually was a beta tester for the XT

We spoke at length and I basically asked him to compare my 665 to the XT as far as creating routes taking existing tracks and moving him to base Camp, taking routes from base Camp, Number of waypoint per route total number of way points etc etc

At the end of the conversation his basic answer was as far as basic routing goes you should not see any changes and if anything there might be a slight increase in the number of options per route

He did note that the smart phone specific syncing is not on the XT

the smartphone specific app has not proven to be as functional as they liked so they’ve gone back to Bluetooth

Also the XT can work with the new mapping app, Gsrmin Global, that Gsrmin is going to move towards, but it also works with base Camp just like my 665 would

Overall he said if I didn’t need XM radio I should notice no difference between the XT and my 665 except for the larger better quality screen

My 665 is working OK but it’s 11 years old and the screen is getting worn out and instead of trying to refurb it I think I’m gonna take the dive and buy an XT this year

• 4 months later...

Giving this one a bump. Has anyone pulled the trigger yet?

I've been GPS'less for a number of years and way behind on the technology,.

This one looks to offer tons of features I'll never bother to learn, but who knows.

If I can see the screen and it tells me where to turn, I'll be happy.

Sounds like this may be all you’re looking for.. I’m tempted For The Price. But, I don’t need it right now.

edit...the price on the new unit isn’t all that much more. :5146: Carry on. :4323:

• Thanks 1

Stretch.....there are a few reviews on RevZilla....so far people seem to like it.  I hope the sadistic B@##%d that designed  the V and BaseCamp didn't work on the UI on this one.  

I am a big fan of Garmin GPS.  I have several generations and had them on bike, boat, and airplane for years....but easy to use doesn't seem to be at the top of their list.  Good products, good service, etc are.  My favorite was my Zumo 550.  Really easy to use while riding, had earphone jack, and the route planning was super simple.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/garmin-zumo-xt-motorcycle-gps

• Thanks 1
On 8/10/2020 at 9:49 AM, StretchMark said:

Giving this one a bump. Has anyone pulled the trigger yet?

I've been GPS'less for a number of years and way behind on the technology,.

This one looks to offer tons of features I'll never bother to learn, but who knows.

If I can see the screen and it tells me where to turn, I'll be happy.

Having some eye trouble in your old age....:classic_rolleyes:

I bought one several months ago,but have only got one short ride on a bright sunny day and was impressed with the screen brightness and the refresh speed.Maybe I won't miss as many turns while its recalculating.....:classic_laugh:   Its not perfect as there were several times with the glare on the screen required more concentration,but it was still visible. Its a huge improvement over my 590

As far as the technical stuff....I know nothing..:rofl:

Thanks big-t. Yeah, it's getting tougher to see those screens. Sounds like this will be a good upgrade.

Hope to see you in TN in September.