IGNORED

OBOLO.....HOW TO FOUND OUT IF TRANNY OR CLUTCH IS GONE 1100RT 2000

WOLF KOFI

Afternoon WOLF

OK, that is good news. 

Next, you will need to get a proper length clutch cable in that bike, then properly adjust the clutch per that picture that I sent you.

Then you can ride the motorcycle to see if the clutch is working properly, or if you damaged the clutch by riding the motorcycle with that tight clutch cable.  

(with clutch cable disconnected)-- You might be able to get some idea on how your clutch is working (not slipping) by putting bike on center stand, then running engine with transmission in first gear (rear wheel spinning on engine), then stepping hard on rear brake pedal (if engine stalls then that is a good sign). Not conclusive but a good sign. 

Hi DR.....

OK GREAT PROGRESS... 

1. ADJUSTED TEMPORARY CABLE AND MADE 7MM 12MM 7MM CHECK.... FIRST GEAR NOW TAKES OFF LIKE A BEAST...2 ND IS SLOW

2. NEED TO FIND A WIRE CLAMP TO KEEP THE STOPPER IN PLACE...

2 hours ago, WOLF KOFI said:

Hi DR.....

OK GREAT PROGRESS... 

1. ADJUSTED TEMPORARY CABLE AND MADE 7MM 12MM 7MM CHECK.... FIRST GEAR NOW TAKES OFF LIKE A BEAST...2 ND IS SLOW

2. NEED TO FIND A WIRE CLAMP TO KEEP THE STOPPER IN PLACE...

Morning WOLF

Please explain 2nd gear is slow?  Does it feel like the  clutch slipping, or is it an engine power issue?

8 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Hi DR....

OK I LOSS THE FOR POWER AGAIN WHEN EVERYTHING IS MEASURED CORRECTLY... 

VEHICLE SPINS FAST IN IDLE

.... And WHEN I GO TO FIRST GEAR OR SECOND GEAR OR ANY GEAR And LET GO OF THE CLUTCH THE VEHICLE WONT TURN OFF... 

I NO LONGER HERE THE THUMP SOUND OF THE GEAR LOCKING IN...

SO I WENT TO YOUR NEXT STEP AND TOOK OUT THE TRANNY FILL PLUG  I SEEN THE TEETH OF THE GEAR... THER IS A SMALL NICK ON THE TEETH... 

ON THE STAND WHEN I TURN  THE EXCELLERATOR THE BACK TIRE HAUL ASS ... BUT WHEN ON SITTING ON IT IT MOVES REAL SLOW....

IT IS LIKE SOMETHING IS NOT LOCKED IT TO CREATE THE TORQUE...

SOMETIMES I CAN GET IT TO LOCK INTO FIRST GEAR AND SOMETIMES IT WONT...

Maybe the back tire is lock into the drive holes properly.... I did have the back tire taken off for painting and the guy did a shitty job...maybe he did not lock the tire back into the drive?

Morning WOLF

OK I LOSS YHE FOR POWER AGAIN WHEN EVERYTHING IS MEASURED CORRECTLY... --- Is the engine revving but motorcycle isn't moving?

VEHICLE SPINS FAST IN IDLE WHEN I GO TO FIRST GEAR OF SECOND GEAR OR ANY GEAR VEHICLE WONT TURN OFF... ---What do you mean by "won't turn off". Can you explain this in  another way?  

I NO LONGER HERE THE THUMP SOUND OF THE GEAR LOCKING IN... --- This might be telling is something.

SO I WENT TO YOUR NEXT STEP AND TOOK OUT THE TRANNY FILL PLUG  I SEEN THE TEETH OF THE GEAR... THER IS A SMALL NICK ON THE TEETH... -- Is this nick in every tooth on that gear  or is it just a notch at the same place on every tooth on that gear?  Probably normal. 

ON THE STAND WHEN I TURN  THE EXCELLERATOR THE BACK TIRE HAUL ASS ... BUT WHEN ON SITTING ON IT IT MOVES REAL SLOW....--This sounds like your clutch is slipping but I can't tell for sure from how you have explained it.  

2 minutes ago, WOLF KOFI said:

Maybe the back tire is lock into the drive holes properly.... I did have the back tire taken off for painting and the guy did a shitty job...maybe he did not lock the tire back into the drive?

Morning WOLF

This doesn't sound likely, it sounds more like the clutch slipping.  

Morning WOLFF 

If you reach in can you easily  move the clutch arm (lever) on the rear of transmission in the same direction that the clutch cable pulls on it?  You need to able to easily move it a slightly (not a lot but slightly). That lever can't be tight UNTIL the handlebar clutch lever pulls on the cable.

You positively need to have a little play or movement in that lever.  

With that broken bolt in the handlebar clutch lever it might be fooling you on the upper adjustment being correct.  

It sounds like you still have a slipping clutch so that is probably  either a bad clutch OR you still have the cable adjustment too tight.

OK I LOSS YHE FOR POWER AGAIN WHEN EVERYTHING IS MEASURED CORRECTLY... --- Is the engine revving but motorcycle isn't moving?  YES SIR

VEHICLE SPINS FAST IN IDLE WHEN I GO TO FIRST GEAR OF SECOND GEAR OR ANY GEAR VEHICLE WONT TURN OFF... ---What do you mean by "won't turn off". Can you explain this in  another way?   OK SIR THE BACK TIRE SPINS WHEN IT IS IN IDLE AND I TURN THE TROTTLE

I NO LONGER HERE THE THUMP SOUND OF THE GEAR LOCKING IN... --- This might be telling is something.

OK

SO I WENT TO YOUR NEXT STEP AND TOOK OUT THE TRANNY FILL PLUG  I SEEN THE TEETH OF THE GEAR... THER IS A SMALL NICK ON THE TEETH... -- Is this nick in every tooth on that gear  or is it just a notch at the same place on every tooth on that gear?  Probably normal.  YES  BUT ONLY ONE NICK IN RACH TOOTH I CAN SEE...

ON THE STAND WHEN I TURN  THE EXCELLERATOR THE BACK TIRE HAUL ASS ... BUT WHEN ON SITTING ON IT IT MOVES REAL SLOW....--This sounds like your clutch is slipping but I can't tell for sure from how you have explained it.  

Ok cool.... in cars we use to put gunk in the tranny to stop the slipping.... is it the sa.r concept with the boxer?

3 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning WOLFF 

If you reach in can you easily  move the clutch arm (lever) on the rear of transmission in the same direction that the clutch cable pulls on it?  You need to able to easily move it a slightly (not a lot but slightly). That lever can't be tight UNTIL the handlebar clutch lever pulls on the cable.

You positively need to have a little play or movement in that lever.  

With that broken bolt in the handlebar clutch lever it might be fooling you on the upper adjustment being correct.  

It sounds like you still have a slipping clutch so that is probably  either a bad clutch OR you still have the cable adjustment too tight.

Ok cool.... the clutch has little play...then the pressure to pull gets harder... after pulling a maybe a quarter inch...

Just now, WOLF KOFI said:

Ok cool.... the clutch has little play...then the pressure to pull gets harder... after pulling a maybe a quarter inch...

Morning WOLF

Are you doing this at the handlebar lever or the lever on the rear of transmission????????????

It's lever on the rear of transmission that needs to have  a little play.

Just now, dirtrider said:

Morning WOLF

Are you doing this at the handlebar lever or the lever on the rear of transmission????????????

It's lever on the rear of transmission that needs to have  a little play.

Yes rear of tranny sir...

5 minutes ago, WOLF KOFI said:

Yes rear of tranny sir...

Morning WOLFF

I'm kind of at a loss on the next move as your problem is pretty well pointing to a slipping clutch. 

We haven't verified that the drive shaft  isn't slipping but with a good  possibility of a slipping clutch that is more than likely your problem area. 

How much of a tool set do you own & do you have the background to go into it farther? 

4 minutes ago, WOLF KOFI said:

IS THIS CLUTCH ASSEMBLY THE WILL MAKE OBOLO WELL AGAIN?

Morning WOLF

The clutch assembly  is a good possibility. At least it is pointing that way based on what you are seeing & communicating back to me. 

Can you smell anything strong like a burning clutch when you try to ride it? 

Do I have the back up financially or or a back up bike... I WILL BE GIVING OBOLO THE KINDEY TRANSPLANT(REPLACE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY) FOR SURE...

2 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning WOLF

The clutch assembly  is a good possibility. At least it is pointing that way based on what you are seeing & communicating back to me. 

Can you smell anything strong like a burning clutch when you try to ride it? 

Oh yes it smelled and smoked a small bit...

Oh yes it smelled and smoked a small bit...

Morning WOLF 

Did it smell like burning rubber or like burning brakes? 

6 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning WOLFF

I'm kind of at a loss on the next move as your problem is pretty well pointing to a slipping clutch. 

We haven't verified that the drive shaft  isn't slipping but with a good  possibility of a slipping clutch that is more than likely your problem area. 

How much of a tool set do you own & do you have the background to go into it farther? 

You are right... I think we can verify because like I said the guy may have not did a good job on putting the bolts back in correctly... third tire came off while I was riding but he was made to fix it so I could ride again

2 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning WOLF 

Did it smell like burning rubber or like burning brakes? 

Yes sir

You are right... I think we can verify because like I said the guy may have not did a good job on putting the bolts back in correctly... third tire came off while I was riding but he was made to fix it so I could ride again

Morning WOLFF

If the bolts holding the rear wheel on are in place now then the rear wheel can't be slipping.

1 minute ago, dirtrider said:

Morning WOLFF

If the bolts holding the rear wheel on are in place now then the rear wheel can't be slipping.

Ok

Which one is it smelling like rubber or brake???????????????

More like rubber it did it a couple of time then went away...

It will take me longer than most but u will do OBOLO'S KIDNEY TRANSPLANT....

chris harris videos really brakes things down barney style.... 

Tool wise I'm stuck if I have to have to many electrical gadgets to do the job.... but if you know of a easy way to get in there change out his kidney(clutch essembly) I'm all ears

Hummmm.... let me go double check the free play... using the screw in the back on the tranny... I just saw something interesting....

13 minutes ago, WOLF KOFI said:

More like rubber it did it a couple of time then went away...

Morning WOLF 

If it smells more like rubber then it "could" be a slipping drive shaft rubber isolator.   This is difficult to define with also having the possibility of a slipping clutch.

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning WOLF 

If it smells more like rubber then it "could" be a slipping drive shaft rubber isolator.   This is difficult to define with also having the possibility of a slipping clutch.

Yes is there a pic of it that you can share....if it is located me when I seated on the bike... then it us could be as possibly....

I just confirmed again the the measurements are correct.... 7mm 12 mm 7mm....

So let me study on the the clutch replacement...

31 minutes ago, WOLF KOFI said:

Yes is there a pic of it that you can share....if it is located me when I seated on the bike... then it us could be as possibly....

Morning WOLF

These will give you some idea. 

itFXuzk.jpg

IY5eQ88.jpg

21 minutes ago, WOLF KOFI said:

I just confirmed again the the measurements are correct.... 7mm 12 mm 7mm....

So let me study on the the clutch replacement...

Morning WOLF

Don't get too fixated on the actual measurements, that broken clutch lever pivot bolt could be effecting your measurements. 

What matters is:    DO YOU HAVE SOME FORE/AFT MOVEMENT IN THE LEVER ON REAR OF TRANSMISSION????????????????

Morning WOLF

Don't get too fixated on the actual measurements, that broken clutch lever pivot bolt could be effecting your measurements. 

What matters is:    DO YOU HAVE SOME FORE/AFT MOVEMENT IN THE LEVER ON REAR OF TRANSMISSION????????????????

Yes sir I do that is why I ran back again to check it a third time before I make the move for the kidney transplant

3 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning WOLF

Oh yeah that 13 mm nut and 10mm bolt for adjustment are cleaned and turn after putting wd40 on them....

Yes sir I do that is why I ran back again to check it a third time before I make the move for the kidney transplant

Morning WOLF

OK, then you more than likely either have a slipping clutch or your drive shaft rubber is slipping.

It is pointing more towards the clutch but don't totally discount the drive shaft (especially if you smell rubber burning).

2 minutes ago, WOLF KOFI said:

Are there any cures for either other then doing the operation sir?

Morning WOLF

Nothing that you can do if the drive shaft rubber is slipping. (except replace the drive shaft)

On the clutch, not much that you can do but  that depends on if the clutch is oil soaked or not.  It sounds like your clutch was slipping so  it is probably glazed & worn.

You are in a tight spot without an experienced mechanic to verify the problem(s). 

Trying to do this over the internet involves a lot of guessing based on feedback. 

Morning WOLF

Nothing that you can do if the drive shaft rubber is slipping. (except replace the drive shaft)

On the clutch, not much that you can do but  that depends on if the clutch is oil soaked or not.  It sounds like your clutch was slipping so  it is probably glazed & worn.

You are in a tight spot without an experienced mechanic to verify the problem(s). 

Trying to do this over the internet involves a lot of guessing based on feedback. 

I know brother...but I was prepared for the long haul with the Obolo unless it is was a engine and transmission failure...

SO OPERATION IT IS... will get my logistics guy on the parts 

But my final question brother...

SINCE IT IS TWO FAULTS SHOULD I TAKE THE BUKE APART AND THEN ORDER THE PARTS OR WHAT?

20 hours ago, WOLF KOFI said:

SINCE IT IS TWO FAULTS SHOULD I TAKE THE BUKE APART AND THEN ORDER THE PARTS OR WHAT?

Morning WOLF

Definitely take it apart before ordering parts as there could be more things that you find during/after disassembly. 

In your case where the drive shaft is also a concern I would start with rear swing arm removal, then remove drive, then make a decision from there.  

Just be very careful removing the swing arm as the pivots need to be heated or you risk stripping the aluminum threads out. 

You will also need to keep very good track of what bolts/nuts come from where (take pictures during disassembly) & keep the parts very secure as getting replacements in your  country will be difficult. Some parts are BMW only & most BMW dealers won't ship to your country. 

36 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning WOLF

Definitely take it apart before ordering parts as there could be more things that you find during/after disassembly. 

In your case where the drive shaft is also a concern I would start with rear swing arm removal then remove drive & make a decision from there.  

Just be very careful removing the swing arm as the pivots need to be heated or you risk stripping the aluminum threads out. 

You will also need to keep very good track of what bolts/nuts come from where (take pictures during disassembly) & keep the parts very secure as getting replacements in your  country will be difficult. Some parts are BMW only & most BMW dealers won't ship to your country. 

OK SIR IM DOWN FOR THE CHALLENGE.... WILL KEEP IN TOUCH... HUMBLE RESPECTS 

...THEY DO HAVE TORCHES HERE...

8 minutes ago, WOLF KOFI said:

OK SIR IM DOWN FOR THE CHALLENGE.... WILL KEEP IN TOUCH... HUMBLE RESPECTS 

...THEY DO HAVE TORCHES HERE...

Afternoon WOLF

Not really a job for a real torch, most use a heat gun or small pin-point pencil torch.  A big propane  type torch will burn the paint on the swing arm.

3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon WOLF

Not really a job for a real torch, most use a heat gun or small pin-point pencil torch.  A big propane  type torch will burn the paint on the swing arm.

True.... they have the small hand ones... I will go for that

Hi DR....

OK LAST NIGHT I TALKED WITH WIFEY LONG TIME ABOUT OBOLO AND WE ARE WILLING TO INVEST IN HIM IF IT IS THE DRIVE SHAFT OR CLUTCH... DO I MAKE ANOTHER THREAD FOR QUESTIONS FOR THE HID BREAKDOWN AND REINSTALLATION SIR?

ALSO I DID A TOOL CHECK FOR THE JOB AND THE TOOLS ARE ENOUGH HER TO DO THE JOB CORRECTLY...

6 hours ago, WOLF KOFI said:

Hi DR....

OK LAST NIGHT I TALKED WITH WIFEY LONG TIME ABOUT OBOLO AND WE ARE WILLING TO INVEST IN HIM IF IT IS THE DRIVE SHAFT OR CLUTCH... DO I MAKE ANOTHER THREAD FOR QUESTIONS FOR THE HID BREAKDOWN AND REINSTALLATION SIR?

ALSO I DID A TOOL CHECK FOR THE JOB AND THE TOOLS ARE ENOUGH HER TO DO THE JOB CORRECTLY...

Morning WOLF

Yes, definitely start a new thread on the drive shaft removal and the clutch replacement as this thread has run it's course on the diagnostic part. (plus it has become very long & convoluted) 

If your drive shaft checks out OK (sometimes difficult to tell unless you have seen a failed one) then your slipping issue is pointing to the clutch as the problem but even that information is based on somewhat  limited  internet feedback.

It sure points to something in the drivetrain "slipping" and transmission issues usually cause "skipping"  not slipping.

After you have it apart you might also find that you have an oil leak at the rear of the engine allowing oil to get on the clutch parts.  You haven't mentioned an oil leak at rear of engine but if there an oil leak then that will also have to be addressed or you could fail a new clutch. 

Just keep in mind that once you start taking it apart you are pretty well committed to follow through or you will just have a basic pile of parts.  

I will not be able to stay with you through the entire clutch drive shaft inspection/replacement as I will be traveling (off road trip) with limited internet access. I will check in from time to time but it will be short intervals with no access to most of  my pictures or archived information. 

There is a lot of excellent help on this website so if we can get them involved you will have good solid advise. 

So do start a new thread on the drive shaft/ clutch/  transmission  removal.  You should also put a link to this thread in your opening post as this post covers a lot of the reasons why you are taking it apart. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, WOLF KOFI said:

Bad news my bike was stolen.... it is a shame that people will steal a broke down bike.... so terrible

Ugh!! I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope you somehow miraculously recover it. Best Miguel