IGNORED

OBOLO.....HOW TO FOUND OUT IF TRANNY OR CLUTCH IS GONE 1100RT 2000

WOLF KOFI

Hi everyone.... Obolo will no longer go forward....

SYMPTOMS...

1. With obolo started and put into first gear....he wont move with the throttle is engaged....

2. When in any gear the bike wont turn off if i release the clutch cable

3. I adjusted the bottom clutch screw to 7mm and the hand screw to 12mm

NEED HELP WITH NARROWING IT DOWN TO CLUTCH OR TRANNY... 

I found a good youtube video with chris harris on doing the operation but if i missed any steps on diagnosing the problem let me know...

5 hours ago, WOLF KOFI said:

Hi everyone.... Obolo will no longer go forward....

SYMPTOMS...

1. With obolo started and put into first gear....he wont move with the throttle is engaged....

2. When in any gear the bike wont turn off if i release the clutch cable

3. I adjusted the bottom clutch screw to 7mm and the hand screw to 12mm

NEED HELP WITH NARROWING IT DOWN TO CLUTCH OR TRANNY... 

I found a good youtube video with chris harris on doing the operation but if i missed any steps on diagnosing the problem let me know...

Morning WOLF

We need LOTS more info from you on the above problems to have any chance of helping you with this. 

In your other threads you have been very shy in providing needed information feedback on your problems. 

I don't want to go down that same road on this problem. It took me many posts just to just get you to provide correct wire color info for 2 wires  so we are not gong to go through that again in this thread.

You need to provide us as the  FULL STORY on this transmission/ clutch problem. (everything that you know from past history to present).  In detail, exactly what is happening with your transmission??????????????????? 

When was the last time it operated correctly?

Have you ever ridden this motorcycle?????? If so when was the last time it & how far did you ride it??

If trans is put in gear with bike on center stand can you turn the rear wheel?????????????? 

We need the FULL STORY on this motorcycle's history, when it last worked correctly, what you have already done. 

Don't be cryptic, give us  the full & detailed story. 

Pictures or video won't help much as we need you to tell us what is happening in detail so we can understand what you have going on. 

"When in any gear the bike wont turn off if i release the clutch cable"-- Please explain this in MUCH MORE in depth detail. 

• Like 1

Well get you sir....Im truly upset that i dont have full history on the bike they dont do that here my brother.... the one other african member probably feels my pain.... the last time it worked fully was 1month or so ago... then got worse.... 

It was hard for me to understand why they dont focus on the history and do quality work....

Im learning the bike as well and the acronyms im 45 years old but a newby.... the bike i had for only 3 months....

The bike was bought by a dealer in kenya the guy goes to uganda and gets them.... they dont bring history... big motorcycles are very new here and there are very few of us they will shop in parts and care enough to go down this road....

What i had to do is stop thinking like an American where we have great forums like this and places like beemer boneyard...

Here they ride until it breaks then dump the bikes.... it is just that simple...

So back to obolo.... the wires are tampered with alot and im just restoring the bike and ride when i can... 

1. Obolo start wonderful now. And purs well thanks to the first ajustments.

2. Obolo hlast ran well a month ago....

3. No history given to me, only had him 3 months... 

4. Slippong got worse over the last month

If trans is put in gear with bike on center stand can you turn the rear wheel?????????????? 

On it now.....remember this is like a ghost bike that was parked at your house one morning with the papers in your name....lol one step at a time to get him back on track...

HELL I FEEL LIKE TAKE THE BIKE APART COMPLETELY LOL....

The first place I would start is with the clutch. I'm not familiar with the actual construction of these bikes (I'm a Harley guy) but there must be an access cover, remove that, put it in gear, and turn the rear tire. If the shaft from the tranny is turning, but the clutch isn't, it's probably the clutch that is bad. If the tranny shaft isn't turning, the tranny is probably bad. If it is all turning, the gear (or chain, again, I'm not familiar) connecting it to the motor may be bad.

Or, the drive shaft (or chain) to the rear wheel is broken. If chain, maybe the sprocket is sheared on the output shaft or rear wheel.

Figure out where the break in the driveline is.

That's just my armchair troubleshooting advice.

Now thinking about it, start with the rear wheel and the drive shaft or chain being connected to the tranny, and go forward from there.

21 minutes ago, WOLF KOFI said:

Well get you sir....Im truly upset that i dont have full history on the bike they dont do that here my brother.... the one other african member probably feels my pain.... the last time it worked fully was 1month or so ago... then got worse.... 

It was hard for me to understand why they dont focus on the history and do quality work....

Im learning the bike as well and the acronyms im 45 years old but a newby.... the bike i had for only 3 months....

The bike was bought by a dealer in kenya the guy goes to uganda and gets them.... they dont bring history... big motorcycles are very new here and there are very few of us they will shop in parts and care enough to go down this road....

What i had to do is stop thinking like an American where we have great forums like this and places like beemer boneyard...

Here they ride until it breaks then dump the bikes.... it is just that simple...

So back to obolo.... the wires are tampered with alot and im just restoring the bike and ride when i can... 

1. Obolo start wonderful now. And purs well thanks to the first ajustments.

2. Obolo hlast ran well a month ago....

3. No history given to me, only had him 3 months... 

4. Slippong got worse over the last month

If trans is put in gear with bike on center stand can you turn the rear wheel?????????????? 

On it now.....remember this is like a ghost bike that was parked at your house one morning with the papers in your name....lol one step at a time to get him back on track...

HELL I FEEL LIKE TAKE THE BIKE APART COMPLETELY LOL....

Morning WOLF

OK that is a start. 

Please explain these two items in more detail.

2. Obolo last ran well a month ago.... Did it shift  OK with no clutch slipping then? 

4. Slipping got worse over the last month..... So are you saying the clutch (or something) started slipping?  How long did you ride it with the slipping present? Did it slip in all gears or only higher gears?

4 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning WOLF

OK that is a start. 

2. Obolo last ran well a month ago.... Did it shift  OK with no clutch slipping then? 

4. Slipping got worse over the last month..... So are you saying the clutch (or something) started slipping?  How long did you ride it with the slipping present? Did it slip in all gears or only higher gears?

That is the biggest clue. If it started slipping, then stopped working, more than likely a bad clutch.

7 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

That is the biggest clue. If it started slipping, then stopped working, more than likely a bad clutch.

Morning Hosstage

We don't know that yet so don't jump to conclusions without more info. It could also be a slipping rubber isolator in the drive shaft, or a clutch adjustment issue. 

We are going to try to define this as we work through it.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning WOLF

OK that is a start. 

It started off and on... the then the hall se sor failed....

Yes it ran ok....i only noticed that when i first bought obolo when i shifted gears... it takes a second to grab into gear.... the guy told me because it is a boxer engine the shaft needs to pick up the gear or something of the sort

OK JUST PUT THE BIKE ON THE STAND ON IT ON PUT IT IN GEAR THEN ROLLED THE TIRE...

THE TIRE ROLLED FREELY WITHOUT THE CLUTCH HANDLE PULLED IN....

GREAT NEWS THE NEW HALL SENSOR, HALL SENSOR TESTER LIGHT, THE HAZZARD SWITCH, AND ABS LIGHT SWITCH HAVE CLEARED CUSTOMS.... 

29 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

The first place I would start is with the clutch. I'm not familiar with the actual construction of these bikes (I'm a Harley guy) but there must be an access cover, remove that, put it in gear, and turn the rear tire. If the shaft from the tranny is turning, but the clutch isn't, it's probably the clutch that is bad. If the tranny shaft isn't turning, the tranny is probably bad. If it is all turning, the gear (or chain, again, I'm not familiar) connecting it to the motor may be bad.

Or, the drive shaft (or chain) to the rear wheel is broken. If chain, maybe the sprocket is sheared on the output shaft or rear wheel.

Figure out where the break in the driveline is.

That's just my armchair troubleshooting advice.

Now thinking about it, start with the rear wheel and the drive shaft or chain being connected to the tranny, and go forward from there.

Thank for the love sir....

52 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

The first place I would start

I don't mean to be rude Hosstage, but can I suggest you stay off this particular fault diagnosis and let dirtrider take WOLF through a very logical procedure. If we keep adding our 2 penne'th we will confuse the issue.

From the diagnosis POV we know dirtrider is clear thinking and has more experience than most.

Cheers.

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, WOLF KOFI said:

It started off and on... the then the hall se sor failed....

Yes it ran ok....i only noticed that when i first bought obolo when i shifted gears... it takes a second to grab into gear.... the guy told me because it is a boxer engine the shaft needs to pick up the gear or something of the sort

Morning Wolf

We still need more info as the problem first appearing during gear shift sort of points to an internal gear selection problem. (that-- "it takes a second to grab into gear" sounds like the shift dog is not fully engaging.

But your rear wheel easy to spin with trans in gear is more pointing to something in the drive shaft or clutch area, but could still be pointing to an internal trans issue.

We are going to have to  dig in deeper to try & define where you problem lies.  

4 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Wolf

We still need more info as the problem first appearing during gear shift sort of points to an internal gear selection problem. (that-- "it takes a second to grab into gear" sounds like the shift dog is not fully engaging.

But your rear wheel easy to spin with trans in gear is more pointing to something in the drive shaft or clutch area, but could still be pointing to an internal trans issue. 

When i roll the wheel foward... i feel something turning with it... like it it engaged with the bike not independent like something has broken the chain of power.... let me go listen carefully... to give more info

1 minute ago, WOLF KOFI said:

When i roll the wheel foward... i feel something turning with it...

Morning WOLF

That is probably the final drive gears & drive shaft that you feel turning.  

3 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning WOLF

That is probably the final drive gears & drive shaft that you feel turning.  

Ok cool

We (you) are going to have to go in deeper to find this problem. 

So lets start by you reaching in & grabbing the clutch lever on the rear of transmission (that is the lever that the cable attaches to).

See if that is tight in the fore/aft direction or if it has some fore/aft movement or play.

If it is very tight with no fore/aft wiggle movement then post back. 

If the lever has a little fore/aft play then next remove the transmission fill plug (that is top plug on the right hand side of transmission). You should see a set of gear teeth just inside the open plug hole. Spin rear wheel while looking into that top fill plug hole & see if the gear inside is spinning. 

If the trans is overfull then a little gear oil might come out of that top fill hole (don't worry about that if it happens)

We'll work from here after you do the above tests.

I thick there is a combo of issues sir... between previous neglect, sabotage, stealing, and most of all jerry rigging... it has made thing harder.... but im having fun with so im ok.... 

I just found out that it is to expensive to bring a tranny over here smh but i may be able to swing a clutch....

I thick there is a combo of issues sir... between previous neglect, sabotage, stealing, and most of all jerry rigging... it has made thing harder.... but im having fun with so im ok.... 

I just found out that it is to expensive to bring a tranny over here smh but i may be able to swing a clutch....

Lets first find out for sure IF it is a clutch, drive shaft, or transmission problem. 

2 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

We (you) are going to have to go in deeper to find this problem. 

So lets start by you reaching in & grabbing the clutch lever on the rear of transmission (that is the lever that the cable attaches to).

See if that is tight in the fore/aft direction or if it has some fore/aft movement or play.

If it is very tight with no fore/aft wiggle movement then post back. 

If the lever has a little fore/aft play then next remove the transmission fill plug (that is top plug on the right hand side of transmission). You should see a set of gear teeth just inside the open plug hole. Spin rear wheel while looking into that top fill plug hole & see if the gear inside is spinning. 

We'll work from here after you do the above tests.

On it now...but yes it wiggles i questioned that before...let me give you a full report hold tight

8 minutes ago, WOLF KOFI said:

Ok i disconnected the clutch cable....since to adjusted in the back it is real tight now

You don't want it real tight you need to have some fore/aft movement in that lever.

Set your clutch adjustment per that picture that I sent you yesterday, when adjusted correctly you should have some fore/aft movement in that lever (where the cable attaches) on the rear of trans AND have some free-play movement in the handlebar clutch lever. 

1 hour ago, AndyS said:

I don't mean to be rude Hosstage, but can I suggest you stay off this particular fault diagnosis and let dirtrider take WOLF through a very logical procedure. If we keep adding our 2 penne'th we will confuse the issue.

From the diagnosis POV we know dirtrider is clear thinking and has more experience than most.

Cheers.

Copy that

What is "OBOLO"? I kept thinking I'd pick up in context by reading the thread but, alas, I didn't. Internet wasn't any help either. 

Thanks

Miguel

19 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

What is "OBOLO"? I kept thinking I'd pick up in context by reading the thread but, alas, I didn't. Internet wasn't any help either. 

Thanks

Miguel

Afternoon Miguel

It's the name of his motorcycle.

Obolo.JPG

Wolf, kudos for trying to fix up a classic, in your circumstances.

When you said, "take it all apart", lol, you might.

But that's how you learn about these machines.

Many specs, tolerances are on line.

Take it one step at a time so you don't have to redo.

Dirtrider will provide solutions

if you provide necessary information.

Best wishes for success.

Thanks DR for the explanation of "OBOLO". Naming artwork, parts of our properties, rooms in our house are things I and Ms Miguel commonly do but we've never nicknamed vehicles tho I know this is a common thing to do. 

Cheers. 
Miguel

There's a rubber boot between your swingarm and final drive. It's held in place by either a big zip tie or a metal strap. Undo it and pull it back. If the interior of the swingarm stinks like burnt rubber you have a spun driveshaft.  

Hi DR...OK in the morning im going to readjust the clutch lever and arm behind the tranny.... sorry for the delay i issues with customs.... just as corrupt as they want to be lol... charging 35 percent vat on used parts...lol

Driveshaft, clutch spline issues can also be diagnosed when bike is not running. 

Just park the bike on centerstand, put bike in gear (any gear) and try and rotate the rear wheel by hand. 

If the rear wheel turns with hand strength, likely the input shaft/clutch splines are likely done for. 

33 minutes ago, cat0020 said:

Driveshaft, clutch spline issues can also be diagnosed when bike is not running. 

Just park the bike on centerstand, put bike in gear (any gear) and try and rotate the rear wheel by hand. 

If the rear wheel turns with hand strength, likely the input shaft/clutch splines are likely done for. 

Afternoon cat0020

I am trying to have WOLF work through this progressively without  random guessing.  (we're not even sure that his clutch is properly adjusted). So this has to be accounted for first BEFORE any spinning rear wheel will be able to tell a slipping drive shaft isolator, from a trans gear engagement issue, from a spline issue (this is an 1100 not an 1150), from a slipping clutch issue. 

It is difficult enough to keep this thread's diagnosis on track without posters trying to  take it another direction. 

If you want to take over this thread then let me know as I will gladly  yield it to you then you can take it in any direction that you want.

• Like 1

I have to find the size allen key in industrial area... im on it... please tell me what size it is.... just in case the adjust does not work in the morning.... humble respects...

14 minutes ago, WOLF KOFI said:

I have to find the size allen key in industrial area... im on it... please tell me what size it is.... just in case the adjust does not work in the morning.... humble respects...

Afternoon WOLF

Most are 8mm hex but keep in mind that a used motorcycle could have a different fill plug hex size than stock added over the years of service by many workers so it is best to actually measure yours. 

4 hours ago, Still CAL said:

Global Village right here in this thread. We are all with you, WOLF.

:bike:

Thanks for the love

21 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon cat0020

I am trying to have WOLF work through this progressively without  random guessing.  (we're not even sure that his clutch is properly adjusted). So this has to be accounted for first BEFORE any spinning rear wheel will be able to tell a slipping drive shaft isolator, from a trans gear engagement issue, from a spline issue (this is an 1100 not an 1150), from a slipping clutch issue. 

It is difficult enough to keep this thread's diagnosis on track without posters trying to  take it another direction. 

If you want to take over this thread then let me know as I will gladly  yield it to you then you can take it in any direction that you want.

I was merely trying to keep posts related to topic of thread. 

Trying to provide the easier way to diagnose tranny/clutch problem. 

40 minutes ago, cat0020 said:

I was merely trying to keep posts related to topic of thread. 

Trying to provide the easier way to diagnose tranny/clutch problem. 

Morning cat0020

So what  have you added?  

You might go back & read this thread from the beginning. (it appears that you haven't done that)

Start with 2nd post down from the top---  

Around 7th sentence down--- asked? -- ( If trans is put in gear with bike on center stand can you turn the rear wheel??????????????) 

Then read WOLF's answer to that  question in about the 9th post down from the top---  (

OK JUST PUT THE BIKE ON THE STAND ON IT ON PUT IT IN GEAR THEN ROLLED THE TIRE...

THE TIRE ROLLED FREELY WITHOUT THE CLUTCH HANDLE PULLED IN...)

Then go to another or WOLF's previous threads & see where he thinks someone previously installed a short clutch wire (clutch cable).

WOLF lives in a country where few tools are available, no parts are available, information is scarce, & he has a motorcycle with many/many problems.

If you have an easier way than was already posted throughout this  thread then by all means take this thread over as I will gladly hand it over to you then you can work it anyway that you like, then I can chime in & interrupt your diagnostic  flow.   

• Haha 1

Then go to another or WOLF's previous threads & see where he thinks someone previously installed a short clutch wire (clutch cable).

:5146:HI THERE @ DR I swear you are In Kenya somewhere lol...

1. THE FREAKING CABLE IS NOT LONG ENOUGH BY FAR...  I called the guy that installed and he did not do the correct 7mm 12mm 7mm...in fact he did not do the rear adjustment measurement at all... I hope there was no permanent damage.

2. After his wire change is when the bike would not go come after so small time... meaning 30 mins or so... it went long enough for him to get paid and ride off...

3. SOLUTION FOR CLUTCH WIRE BEING SHORT... I will go tomorrow and get the temporary clutch cable full length and install it my darn self lol....

4. I adjusted the back arm behind the tranny to 7 mm.... only the middle screw can move...the nut may be ceased in... let me know if that nut must move... the screw now has small play back and forward so the clutch can rest and let the vehicle drive turn I'm assuming...

SIDE NOTE... THE END BRASS FITTINGS SRE NOT CORRECT FOR THE FRONT AND THE BACK OF THE BACK OF THE WIRE SO THE GUY TIDED THE WIRE IN A NOT SO THE BRASS FITTING IN THE BACK WILL NOT COME OFF....

This same jerry was done at purchase of OBOLO....

Will post tomorrow when I get the wire installed with the correct measurements

2 minutes ago, WOLF KOFI said:

Then go to another or WOLF's previous threads & see where he thinks someone previously installed a short clutch wire (clutch cable).

:5146:HI THERE @ DR I swear you are In Kenya somewhere lol...

1. THE FREAKING CABLE IS NOT LONG ENOUGH BY FAR...  I called the guy that installed and he did not do the correct 7mm 12mm 7mm...in fact he did not do the rear adjustment measurement at all... I hope there was no permanent damage.

2. After his wire change is when the bike would not go come after so small time... meaning 30 mins or so... it went long enough for him to get paid and ride off...

3. SOLUTION FOR CLUTCH WIRE BEING SHORT... I will go tomorrow and get the temporary clutch cable full length and install it my darn self lol....

4. I adjusted the back arm behind the tranny to 7 mm.... only the middle screw can move...the nut may be ceased in... let me know if that nut must move... the screw now has small play back and forward so the clutch can rest and let the vehicle drive turn I'm assuming...

SIDE NOTE... THE END BRASS FITTINGS SRE NOT CORRECT FOR THE FRONT AND THE BACK OF THE BACK OF THE WIRE SO THE GUY TIDED THE WIRE IN A NOT SO THE BRASS FITTING IN THE BACK WILL NOT COME OFF....

This same jerry was done at purchase of OBOLO....

Will post tomorrow when I get the wire installed with the correct measurements

Afternoon WOLF

OK, we need to back up a step here & re-group.

Completely remove the cable from the trans lever, THEN put transmission in gear, then try spinning the rear wheel again. 

We will move on from there. 

On the transmission lever nut?-- the nut needs to spin freely on the adjuster bolt & the bolt needs to spin freely in the lever. 

Afternoon WOLF

OK, we need to back up a step here & re-group.

Completely remove the cable from the trans lever, THEN put transmission in gear, then try spinning the rear wheel again. 

GREAT NEWS I THINK.... THE REAR WHEEL WONT MOVE FORWARD IN WHILE IN GEAR.... BUT TURNS BACKWARDS.... AFTER REMOVING THE WIRE FROM THE CLUTCH ARM....

We will move on from there. 

On the transmission lever nut?-- the nut needs to spin freely on the adjuster bolt & the bolt needs to spin freely in the lever. 

I sprayed the nut and bolt of the clutch adjuster screw with wd 40 or the knock off version lol to sit over night... I need the deep weld 10 11 12 or 13 socket to fit the nut .... everything is closed here so Must get in the morning 

Afternoon WOLF

Completely remove the cable from the trans lever, THEN put transmission in gear, then try spinning the rear wheel again. 

GREAT NEWS I THINK.... THE REAR WHEEL WONT MOVE FORWARD IN WHILE IN GEAR.... BUT TURNS BACKWARDS.... AFTER REMOVING THE WIRE FROM THE CLUTCH ARM....---  Please explain the "turning backwards",  you shouldn't be able to turn it either direction if the clutch is holding . How far can you spin it backwards? Can you turn the rear wheel a full revolution backwards?

(with clutch cable disconnected) -- With motorcycle on center stand maybe try starting the engine, then putting the transmission in gear, (that should spin the rear wheel with the engine), then stepping hard on the rear brake pedal (this should stall the engine). If engine won't stall using rear brake then we will need to dig deeper into the clutch, drive shaft area. 

On the transmission lever nut?-- the nut needs to spin freely on the adjuster bolt & the bolt needs to spin freely in the lever. 

I sprayed the nut and bolt of the clutch adjuster screw with wd 40 or the knock off version lol to sit over night... I need the deep weld 10 11 12 or 13 socket to fit the nut .... --- That lock nut is a 13mm nut, you can usually get a short 13 mm end wrench on that nut.  

Afternoon WOLF 

How hard is it to turn the rear wheel backwards? If it takes a lot of effort then maybe you are turning the engine backwards (maybe check for  this)  

How hard is it to turn the rear wheel backwards? If it takes a lot of effort then maybe you are turning the engine backwards (maybe check for  this)  

Sir dont kill me but in only moves back a in inch at best ...so BOTHWAYS ARE SUPER HARD TO TURN

Half inch I meant

Afternoon WOLF

If you can only turn the rear wheel 1/2 inch backwards with transmission in gear then that is pretty normal.

Can you turn it backwards more the that 1/2 inch?