IGNORED

Tank Bag Suggestions Please

MichiganBob

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I don't really care for a bag on the tank.  Just too tall for my liking.

But I do wish I could find a solution with a tank ring, and basically a map pouch.  But not a map pouch.  Something with a clear top to it and a cord hole so that I could put my phone in there to charge.   But if I got a call, I would at least see the screen light up and pull over.

I have a GPS and use that for navigation.  I don't listen to music, I have hearing aides and somewhat deaf.  I just want the phone where I can see it if someone is trying to contact me.  And I like the ring idea, just because straps are a pain to me.  And a bag will make it somewhat water resistant.

I do have a Wunderlich cockpit bag which I do like.  That's where my phone goes now.  And any park passes, etc.  I just can't see in the bag while riding....

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening,

Now that I have had the SW-Motech City Bag for more than a year, I do miss having a map pouch. Is anyone using the one made for this tank bag and if so --- how is it working? Or has anyone adapted a map pouch to the city bag? If so, details would be appreciated and thanks.

MB

For 21 years i had either a bmw tank bag or an aftermarket unit on my 96RT.  In 2018 got my 1200 RT and sorely miss having a ready display of paper map.  Except for finding your way through a strange large city, I really don't like the NAV system.  It's screwed me up a few times and thank gawd I also had paper maps to get myself out of some pretty weird situations.  I'm REALLY hoping someone has a great solution for no map on the the City bag. 

Good Afternoon,

I ended up ordering the map pocket made for the EVO from Revzilla for 25 bucks. I'll let you know how it fits and works. It took me a while to get over the fact that the tank bag did not come with a map pocket but that's life. I went through my usual process ... what is 25 bucks? About three-fourths of a tank of gas in my car, less than the take-out last night from Chipotle, a mediocre bottle of bourbon, a bundle of cheap cigars ... see how my mind works. You should have seen what I went through to rationalize the RDL saddle that is coming my way in late March. It was total insanity.

Take good care

MB

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 11:17 PM, John Bentall said:

I am using the SW-Motech City Bag. It has never contacted the horn but occasionally contacts the electric screen button (but at least that doesn't scare the crap out of me). It is roomy enough when expanded, has a usefully large (optional) map pocket, and some very small, thin side pockets for a pass or tickets. The bag can be locked to the bike and the zips locked together through eyelets. When I am sightseeing I leave the bag locked to the bike. 

Yeah, I have two SW-Motech bags, one for summer tours and one for shorter runs.  I love them.

MichiganBob

Just bit the bullet and got the map case. It's a quality product and I have missed having a map and any other notes I need when on a long trip. It overlaps a little but I'll take pragmatics over style. I was able to justify the 20 plus bucks for it by thinking about what it costs to eat a meal out, a tank of gas in my truck, one large starbucks Pike's Place (well more than one), and so on. Awaiting my first ever Russel Day Long Saddle due later this month. Now that justification was a little more challenging but I succeeded. 

Take care,

MB