IGNORED

Tank Bag Suggestions Please

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Although I love my 2018RT, I sure do miss the great tank bag rack on my 2012. I ordered a Givi XS 307 which is smaller than I am used to at 15 liters. Adjusted the bag to the lock ring in every position but it is still engaging the horn button when the handlebars are fully cranked plus it does not provide enough clearance for the forks to lock. I don't want to go back to straps and a magnet won't work on plastic so I'm looking for a tank bag that is medium roomy, has side pockets and uses a lock ring or magnets. Has anyone found such an item? Many thanks for your feedback.

Bob

John Bentall

I am using the SW-Motech City Bag. It has never contacted the horn but occasionally contacts the electric screen button (but at least that doesn't scare the crap out of me). It is roomy enough when expanded, has a usefully large (optional) map pocket, and some very small, thin side pockets for a pass or tickets. The bag can be locked to the bike and the zips locked together through eyelets. When I am sightseeing I leave the bag locked to the bike. 

LittleBriar
10 hours ago, John Bentall said:

I am using the SW-Motech City Bag. It has never contacted the horn but occasionally contacts the electric screen button (but at least that doesn't scare the crap out of me). It is roomy enough when expanded, has a usefully large (optional) map pocket, and some very small, thin side pockets for a pass or tickets. The bag can be locked to the bike and the zips locked together through eyelets. When I am sightseeing I leave the bag locked to the bike. 

+1 for the city bag. Fits great, just barely misses the horn button on full lock. I had to disassemble the locking mechanism and lubricate it last fall because of engagement issues. Not hard to do, working great again.

Kerry in Mpls

I use the SW-Motech City bag on my '16 R1200GS.

Obviously the bike bodywork and handlebar geometry is different between the RT and GS.

But just to give a few data points for the GS, the City bag fits the slope of the GS tank closely without touching it, and at full lock the handlebar controls come very close but do not touch the bag .

The capacity is considerably less than the BMW tank bag on my '06 RT, I really got spoiled by that bag.

(edit: this was meant to be a reply to the post above, not a standalone post, wonder why it didn't work)

Edited by Kerry in Mpls
Bill_Walker

I'm also using the SW-Motech/Bags Connection City bag.  With bag positioned as far back as it will go (you have to attach the bag end of the mount to the bag yourself, and there's some variability in position available), I have no clearance problems.  It holds a good amount, although the side pockets are pretty small (as in, only thin things will fit).  I do find that I sometimes have to open the bag and press down on the inside floor of it to get the mount to fully engage.  Also, the tank ring has to be removed in order to remove the center tank body panel to access the air filter (note, however, that I went for the powered version of the bag, so there's a cable leading forward from the mount).

LittleBriar
10 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

I do find that I sometimes have to open the bag and press down on the inside floor of it to get the mount to fully engage. 

I have to do the same thing occasionally. Lubricating the mechanism helped this problem quite a bit.

10 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

I'm also using the SW-Motech/Bags Connection City bag.  With bag positioned as far back as it will go (you have to attach the bag end of the mount to the bag yourself, and there's some variability in position available), I have no clearance problems.  It holds a good amount, although the side pockets are pretty small (as in, only thin things will fit).  I do find that I sometimes have to open the bag and press down on the inside floor of it to get the mount to fully engage.  Also, the tank ring has to be removed in order to remove the center tank body panel to access the air filter (note, however, that I went for the powered version of the bag, so there's a cable leading forward from the mount).

I had this same bag on my 02R1150RT.   Same issue connecting to the bike but I was able to change that with spacers from SW-Motech, have you added the spacers to the tank ring installation?  I noticed they are included with the ring. 

Jay

22 minutes ago, AndyS said:

Another vote here for the SW motech city bag. 

Any negatives at all, Andy?  I am thinking of going that route when I get the 1250 next year.

LittleBriar
2 hours ago, strataj said:

I had this same bag on my 02R1150RT.   Same issue connecting to the bike but I was able to change that with spacers from SW-Motech, have you added the spacers to the tank ring installation?  I noticed they are included with the ring. 

Jay

I don't recall those spacers. I'll have to see if I put them on. Do you know how thick they are?

9 minutes ago, LittleBriar said:

I don't recall those spacers. I'll have to see if I put them on. Do you know how thick they are?

Sorry no it was a long time ago.  They made all the difference.  I still have the bag on my Wee Strom it didn't need the spaces.  Attached is the PDF, you'll see the spacers. 

Jay

trt_00_640_30601_b.pdf

As ever Pad, there are some negatives. As other have mentioned, sometimes getting the bag to snap onto its mounting ring can take more than one attempt. 

I also add an emergency tether from the bag to the handlebar in case that clamp system doesn't engage fully. I had it happen to my TomTom sat nav many moons ago. That didn't have a tether, but I wish it had after it jumped out of its cradle during one fine ride.

Bill_Walker
7 hours ago, strataj said:

Same issue connecting to the bike but I was able to change that with spacers from SW-Motech, have you added the spacers to the tank ring installation?  I noticed they are included with the ring. 

Yes.  Twice, in fact, because there was problem with triggering the magnetic reed switch for power to the bag that's built into the mount.  They had switched to non-magnetic spacers, but the kit I got still had the old ones, and the magnet in the tank bag side couldn't pull the switch reliably.

20 hours ago, AndyS said:

As ever Pad, there are some negatives. As other have mentioned, sometimes getting the bag to snap onto its mounting ring can take more than one attempt. 

I also add an emergency tether from the bag to the handlebar in case that clamp system doesn't engage fully. I had it happen to my TomTom sat nav many moons ago. That didn't have a tether, but I wish it had after it jumped out of its cradle during one fine ride.

Thanks.  I did expect some negatives, and the importance is very different for each of us.  I think that I can tolerate those issues!  I truly don't care for the BMW bag that I am presently using.

One problem I have had with the tank ring mount is the release becomes very difficult after about a year of use.  I have had difficulty getting it to release when trying to fill my tank.

Elephant in the room here.  Nobody mentions using a BMW bag?  Saw one yesterday on a 2018 wet head.  Asked the owner about it.  He was very happy with it.  Had great space and did not interfere with sight or use of controls.

I would get one from BMW, but the R1200RT logo embroidered on the side of the bag does not match the R1250RT.  Sorry, no thanks.  New model is not listed yet in online sites with year/model dropdown windows.  No offence to the 1200 group, but..........:18:

5 hours ago, Red said:

Elephant in the room here.  Nobody mentions using a BMW bag?  Saw one yesterday on a 2018 wet head.  Asked the owner about it.  He was very happy with it.  Had great space and did not interfere with sight or use of controls.

I have been using the BMW bag since 2014, and I do NOT like it at all!  The main part that I dislike is that it sits physically on top of the tank.  Admittedly, the bottom of the bag is soft rubber, BUT just imagine trapping some road grits between that and the painted tank surface!  The obvious solution is to apply a protective film to the tank, which I did. 

Quite coincidentally, yesterday as I was prepping for a long ride, the tank bag went in place, and I was snugging up on the retaining straps, and a piece of the plastic friction "buckle" just broke off!  Very flimsy piece of plastic!  Had to use a small zip-tie to hold that strap!  Do NOT buy this junk!  It's nothing like the prior model that fitted on the hexhead and camhead.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 9:51 AM, Red said:

I been using the BMW tank bag. The reason I didn’t chime in is because of 3 things. It’s expensive first, the Velcro attachment at the rear, under the seat is a joke, I added a second strip of 3M dual lock Velcro. And the map pocket has a rain gauge built in. The bag is water proof, except for the map pocket. 

BMW replaced or rather my dealer did after BMW looked at it for a month. The bag was only 4 weeks old at that time. 

So if you can live with a leaking map pocket, buy it. 

Oh, yeah, forgot about that underseat thingy!  I also had to replace that velcro strip!

It is an expensive bag, but I had 2 reasons as to why I had gotten it.  The main one was that when I bought my original '14 RT, the dealer that I was buying from had given me a coupon that BMW had been handing out at the bike show, which gave 30% off all accessories, and that dealership usually give 10% off already, so I ended up with 40% off the price of the tank bag and a couple other big $ accessories!  The other reason was that I thought that it would be as good as the tank bag that I had on my prior '07 RT!  Wrong on that last one!!

• Like 1
MichiganBob

I ended up buying and installing the SW-Motech City Bag. Nice quality and good fit. No handlebar issues, even at full crank. Surprised there is no map holder which I hear you can buy but its pricey and pretty shoddy. Don't need it as I have something else that will work. Revzilla was good on taking back the Givi and refunding full price. It was hard to find the bag, back ordered at a number of places. All-in-all, it will work fine and carry essential stuff that is probably not that essential.

Bob

MichiganBob

Good Evening,

Almost done farkeling the new bike. Now I need to hunt for a foam or air pad. The seat itself is fine but I never had issues with the stock seat on any of my recent Beemer's, , even on big mileage trips. But I've gone from 232 to 185 pounds since last August and one of the outcomes is a bony ass. Can't remember the last time I had one of those. Sitting on wooden chairs at restaurants, park benches, my kayak -- ouch. So now in the hunt for something to relieve a little pressure down below. Any suggestions folks?

Bob

Bill_Walker
1 hour ago, MichiganBob said:

So now in the hunt for something to relieve a little pressure down below. Any suggestions folks?

Maybe start a new thread on that topic.

For me, with pretty much the same issue, the answers have been 1) ride more, so your butt gets used to it, or 2) get a custom saddle.  I haven't sprung for the latter on the "new" bike yet (which I got in '17).

11 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Good Evening,

Almost done farkeling the new bike. Now I need to hunt for a foam or air pad. The seat itself is fine but I never had issues with the stock seat on any of my recent Beemer's, , even on big mileage trips. But I've gone from 232 to 185 pounds since last August and one of the outcomes is a bony ass. Can't remember the last time I had one of those. Sitting on wooden chairs at restaurants, park benches, my kayak -- ouch. So now in the hunt for something to relieve a little pressure down below. Any suggestions folks?

Bob

I am one who moves around on the seat a lot, when riding, and therefore didn't want to go for the RDL that most folks like.  A couple of years back, I tried using the Airhawk pillow on my seat, and have been using that ever since!  I need a new cover for it now, since it's almost worn through!!  Cheap enough to try! 

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2019 at 8:01 AM, PadG said:

I am one who moves around on the seat a lot, when riding, and therefore didn't want to go for the RDL that most folks like.  A couple of years back, I tried using the Airhawk pillow on my seat, and have been using that ever since!  I need a new cover for it now, since it's almost worn through!!  Cheap enough to try!   

I have heard similar comments from many riders.   Those little things work!   A decent seat is OK for shorter rides, but when you're going all day, nice to have an AirHawk, I think.  (no affiliation.  I promise.)

Just bought a '18 RT, seller had installed a SW Motech Engage bag...smaller 7L example of City bag. On long trips the smaller bag won't be ideal. I have a RKA 4 strap 25L bag left over from a bike I sold...normally BMWs take the RKA 3 strap bag, but I'll see if the 4 strap will work for me.

Anyone else using the RKA bag?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Marty Hill said:

I've been using RKA for years.  I stop in and they set me up with whatever works best for me.  Great folks!

Regarding paint damage, do you use any buffer layer between tank bag and bike? This is the nicest bike I've owned, so I feel obligated to worry about this.

I've done nothing to protect and have zero damage over many years and several different bikes.  I should add that this is over at least 75k miles.

I got some clear vinyl much like the paint protector vinyl people sell and made a piece that goes from the bottom of the tank to top of the tank for the center piece only.  It comes right off when you need it to e.g. when it gets dirty.  I wash it in the sink with warm water, dry it off and put it back on.  I overlaid it a bit and VERY CAREFULLY used an exacto knife and followed the grooves.

• 6 months later...
On 6/23/2019 at 7:03 PM, Bill_Walker said:

I'm changing from the BMW tank bag to SW-Motech/Bag Connection City Bag.  I can tell for sure it needs to be mounted as Bill describes (as far back as possible).  Even in that position in full lock the directional signal and BMW aux light switchs hit the bag but NOT the horn or the start button.  I think I can deal with that but would like to hear from others.  My main concern is how the bag effects the seating area, do you rib/hit it a lot?

Bill_Walker
11 hours ago, strataj said:

My main concern is how the bag effects the seating area, do you rib/hit it a lot?

As I said, I have no clearance problems, with either me or the bike.

I changed from the terrible BMW bag to the City Bag last season, and I had no clearance issues with the handle bar at all.  I don't have the aux. light switch, which is why, I guess.  As for interfering with the seat area, just as Bill said, no interference at all, and I, in particular would have notice that, because when I corner aggressively, I will always lean forward and down over the tank.  Never had the bag in the way at any times.  Never even touched it.

Does anyone here run the SW-Motech City bag with Illium bar backs?  If so, how does that work out with regard to clearance?

10 hours ago, RPondaRoad said:

Does anyone here run the SW-Motech City bag with Illium bar backs?  If so, how does that work out with regard to clearance?

Wondering the same thing, I have the adjustable Rox risers on my 2020 GSA. Twisted Throttle doesn't recommend the City for use with the GSA.

I have a BMW one, it works OK but the two things that bug me are: the map pocket, which a) isn't waterproof, b) under some lighting conditions reflects into my eyes, and c) I never use; and the strap system that allows the bag to flop from side to side. Hoping the City with the EVO mount fixes that.

The GIVI Tank-Lock system and various bags that work with the system has been a great one for me.  I use the smallest bag but they make larger options as well.   Great system with no issues as noted with the SW Motech system.  Lock works perfectly on and off in a second. 

A few of my riding buddies had the SW Motech bag / system an did not like the mechanism and have switched toe he GIVI Tank-Lock .  YMMV

I have been using a Givi 603 for 5 years with the Tank Lock system.  No problems, expandable, easy on and off, cell phone window on top and electric port in front.

• Like 1

I hoped that yesteryear would come back to me and it has.  With old gear and gear I got on the For Sale ..... Big Mac has found a place on my '16 RT with no issues using the 4 inch bag. The six inch bag is too tall to see the dash. Happy Happy

• 4 weeks later...
Colorado Jeff
On 6/23/2019 at 6:03 PM, Bill_Walker said:

I went for the powered version of the bag, so there's a cable leading forward from the mount

Hi Everyone:

I am giving the SW-Motech City Bag serious consideration, but am not sure of the use model for an electric version.  I am not sure what I would want to charge while riding.  I tend to charge everything up as soon as I check in to a hotel.  I guess this would be great if you are camping and don't have an outlet handy...

Why else? What am I missing if I don't get the electric version? What are you folks charging while riding?

Thanks!

I never considered a tank bag that can charge; keeps it simple, I guess..  I bought the Day Pack bag by SW Motech and if I need to charge my phone, I can use the power port with the adapter or use my USB power bank.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 9, which has a pretty good battery to begin with   Your kilometers may vary.

Bill_Walker
4 hours ago, Colorado Jeff said:

Hi Everyone:

I am giving the SW-Motech City Bag serious consideration, but am not sure of the use model for an electric version.  I am not sure what I would want to charge while riding.  I tend to charge everything up as soon as I check in to a hotel.  I guess this would be great if you are camping and don't have an outlet handy...

Why else? What am I missing if I don't get the electric version? What are you folks charging while riding?

Thanks!

Back in the wired days, I had my Autocom, my FRS radio and my iPod all installed in my powered tank bag, which I would easily move between my bikes (R1150RT and DL1000 V-Strom).  With Bluetooth and such, on the R1200RT, it just made more sense to mount things on the bike, but I think I had already ordered the powered tank bag before I figured that out.  In truth, I think I've used it once or twice to charge my phone when I was worried about running out of juice, and that's about it.  If my Sena ever goes dead mid-ride, I'll be able to stick it in my tank bag and recharge it.

If you break down with a non-electrical failure, it can be very useful to have a way to power your phone from the bike (don't ask me how I know!).  But there are other ways of doing that.

I recently changed to the SW-Motech City Bag non electric version.  With the Wethead RT if I need to change a phone or Sena unit it can be done in the bikes watertight box.  I had a City bag on my 02R1150RT and 05 DL 650 Wee - Strom, I still using it on my Wee.  The new bag is better in many ways the first for sure is mounting, it works great!

Colorado Jeff

Thank you @wbw and @strataj, I appreciate your input. 

Bill, I owe you several thanks; 1) for your response here and 2) for one on Oct 19 '19 on gas caps not releasing.  Your advice got me into my fuel tank yesterday, now I got to figure out why now and why twice in a row and 3) for the other responses.  I believe I've followed your advice more than a few times over the years. 

Bill_Walker
On 5/9/2020 at 4:33 AM, strataj said:

With the Wethead RT if I need to change a phone or Sena unit it can be done in the bikes watertight box.

I've got an iPod Nano plugged in there for music.  Though if it were my Sena I were charging, I'd be without music anyway.

• 8 months later...
On 6/23/2019 at 2:17 AM, John Bentall said:

Hi MB, I agree with J, I have sn SW Motech Citibag, it comes with the Top Ring already.  So, u just have to purchase the 306 Tank Ring for about $32.  The Citibag is 11 L and expands to 15 L, and has great mounting instructions.  This is my 2nd of these Citibags on my 3rd RT, trust us, you won't be disappointed. Jim