IGNORED

Lewiston ID to Leavenworth WA

Duane n Oregon

Duane n Oregon

One day of a trip next summer is in an unfamiliar area. We are going from Lewiston, ID, to Leavenworth, WA. Using Google Maps, the route takes us on HWY 12 to 261 to 260 to 17 to 90 to 28, and totals about 240 miles. We ride anywhere from 240-300 in a day, so we are open to more miles.

If you know this area, and have better roads to recommend, I'd love to use that info to piece together the best route possible for that day.

In Lewiston to the north is the Spiral Hwy.

South of Lewiston, on WA 129/ OR 3 is the Rattlesnake Grade.  You could loop through Enterprise, but that's a longer day than you describe. 

Maybe get in to Lewiston early and ride both, or do a quick out and back on the Spiral in the morning, then head out on 12 and pick up Palouse Falls as a stop on your way.  

Check out the routes from the Moscow ID UnRally.  You might find something else of interest.  For example, I recall riding over a fairly impressive dam not too far from the area you are going through.  

Traveler1

You might try this.  It fits your schedule and is maybe the best route available which is around 300 miles.

1440500979_ScreenShot2019-05-06at1_01.33PMcopy.thumb.jpg.58699782aa9c6b95f618adba3680a3be.jpg

• Like 2

Skipping Hwy 12 from your original route is unfortunate, and I know nothing about Hwy 2, but Traveler 1's 195 from Lewiston to Spokane area is a nice ride. 

Hmmmmm, no easy answer.  It basically comes down to what else you want to do.  There is a huge "donut hole" of just-shut-your-eyes-and-ride territory occupying the center of Washington State.  

Your original route includes a pretty nice ride along US 12 and WA 261 through Starbuck.  I would do as Jan suggested and stop at  Palouse Falls State Park.  Unfortunately it is about a mile of gravel into the park and you are stuck with paying $10 each motorcycle to park there: Washington State Discover Pass (cash only and $69 fine for not having a pass).  Then I would divert over to Ellensburg so you could ride US 97 over Blewett Pass (or Old Blewett Pass if you want more challenge).   

If you follow Thor's route then I would take the short detour to Steptoe Butte State Park (at Steptoe ;) ).  Same issue with parking, but if you are visiting more than one Washington State Park at least there is a credit card machine in the parking lot and you can get an Annual Discover Pass for $30.  Or leave one person to act as a lookout.  Once you hit US 2 just shut your eyes until you get to the Columbia River.  With two exceptions.  One is to take the short 2 miles down WA 17 west of Coolee City to stop at the Sun Lakes - Dry Falls Visitor Center (didn't have to pay to park the last time I stopped there).  Great explanation and displays of the Missoula Floods.  The other exception is Badger Mountain Road south of Waterville.  

I've always wanted to visit the decommissioned B-reactor at Hanford, but it's only open to US citizens.  

Mike Cassidy 

Lewiston_Blewett_Leavenworth.jpg

jmseattle

If you are open to extending your mileage range some (a bit over 400 mi total) and want to stay off the slab, you can get in a couple of mountain passes and a ride along the Columbia.

Rte 12 out of Lewiston down through Walla Walla (good stop for coffee or lunch) then Rte 14 along the Columbia to Maryhill. 

Rte 97 up from Maryhill over Satus Pass and Blewett Pass mostly all the way to Leavenworth (intersection with Rte. 2)

(97 to Yakima, then Yakima Canyon Rd (Rt. 821) from Yakima to Ellensburg and then 97 again over Blewett).

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

I think Twisties recommended this, too.  Take an hour to ride the Spiral up and down before leaving Lewiston.

image.png.eb24bb30481a757b7d35016804bdcfd2.png

• 2 weeks later...
Duane n Oregon
On 5/7/2019 at 9:18 AM, BendBill said:

Skipping Hwy 12 from your original route is unfortunate, and I know nothing about Hwy 2, but Traveler 1's 195 from Lewiston to Spokane area is a nice ride. 

I've done HWY 12 many times.

Duane n Oregon
On 5/8/2019 at 5:23 AM, John Ranalletta said:

I think Twisties recommended this, too.  Take an hour to ride the Spiral up and down before leaving Lewiston.

image.png.eb24bb30481a757b7d35016804bdcfd2.png

Done that one many times also.

Duane n Oregon
On 5/7/2019 at 9:18 AM, BendBill said:

195 looks virtually straight and boring.  What am I missing?

Duane n Oregon
On 5/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, jmseattle said:

If you are open to extending your mileage range some (a bit over 400 mi total) and want to stay off the slab, you can get in a couple of mountain passes and a ride along the Columbia.

400 miles is more than we like for a day, but we always look to stay off of the slab!

On 5/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, jmseattle said:

195 looks virtually straight and boring.  What am I missing?

Duane,  I think we are trying to work within your mileage constraints.  For example, WA 27 (east of US 195, even better if you use the county road through Farmington) is a better ride through the Palouse country but  a lot of it is only 45-50 mph  and it stretches the mileage out to 325-350.   You can still avoid most of I-90 through Spokane by angling over to US195 at Waverley. 

There are also some little detours closer to the Snake River & Pullman/Moscow still on display at the UnRally 2014 thread here.   

Mike Cassidy