IGNORED

UnRally XIII - Moscow Paved Routes

Al_B

The following post contains links to the UnRally XIII paved routes from Moscow, Idaho. The routes are available in *.gdb and *.gpx format for people to load directly to their GPS units. For people that don't use a GPS to help them get lost, we will provide detailed turn-by-turn directions for specific routes if you request them. At this time, we haven't prepared these directions since we don't know how many people want or will use them.

Route naming information:

• In general, lower number routes have shorter total distance than higher number routes.

• Routes with just a number are the route from the BWI Moscow to the destination. Routes with a letter descriptor (i.e., 1A, 1B, etc.) are various return route options to the BWI from the destination. Higher letters denote longer routes.

• The "All Routes" files have all of the destination and return routes in a single file.

• Any of the routes can be ridden in reverse direction if you prefer. In general, if there was a choice of riding direction for the twistier portions, the uphill option has been chosen.

• Route distances and time estimates are from MapSource calculations. They do not include stoppage times, but may estimate slower speeds than you travel at.

When riding on back roads (particularly in Washington) BE AWARE OF FARMING EQUIPMENT OF THESE ROADS, as they are often large and occupying portions of both lanes.

Watch for deer on all the routes. They are very fast and many of the forested routes have limited right-of-way clearings.

The link to the summary spreadsheet of the route distances and times is Route Summary Spreadsheet.

Following are the links to the Route files (note that the miles shown are the shortest return option):

Route 1 Steptoe Butte GDB or Steptoe Butte GPX 89 miles

Route 2 Elk River GDB or Elk River GPX 123 miles

Route 3 Lower Granite Dam GDB or Lower Granite Dam GPX 157 miles

Route 4 Palouse Falls GDB or Palouse Falls GPX 221 miles

Route 5 Coeur d'Alene GDB or Coeur d'Alene GPX 209 miles

Route 6 Weippe GDB or Weippe GPX 211 miles

Route 7 RattlesnakeCanyon-Enterprise GDB or RattlesnakeCanyon-Enterprise GPX 252 miles

Route 8 St Joe River Scenic Byway GDB or St Joe River Scenic Byway GPX 325 miles

Route 9 Elk City GDB or Elk City GPX 321 miles

Route 10 Lolo Pass Summit GDB or Lolo Pass Summit GPX 390 miles

All Routes Composite File GDB or All Routes Composite File GPX

Since this is my first time using Dropbox for storing files, there may be some problems. If you notice links that aren't working or files that don't make sense, please let me know so I can try to fix them.

Written descriptions for the routes will follow in a couple of days, but I wanted to get the GPS routes out now so people could start looking at them if they want.

Thanks for all the hard work. I downloaded each of the GPX files and had no problems accessing them in your Dropbox. I'm using a Mac and the only minor hiccup is that when I download a GPX file, it adds another file suffix (.txt) to each one. Before I import the downloaded file into Basecamp, I have to go in and delete that ".txt" suffix. After that, I imported each one into BC and they all display nicely. I have not yet loaded them onto my GPS (Nav V), but I don't see why that would present any problems.

szurszewski

All works great for me too. I don't actually have a gps, but when I do want one (rarely) for stuff like this I load the gpx files into MotionX GPS on my iPhone - I might try to find something else for this trip though.

Anyway, I accessed a couple of the .gpx files through the links and downloaded them to my Mac as well - it didn't append .txt (or anything else - just left them alone) and it worked great. Thanks!

josh

I just finished loading all of these routes onto my Nav V. It re-calculated all of them, so presumably they were created on a different mapset than I have in BC and on my Nav. Opened a number of them in my Nav V and all seem fine.

Following are links to the write-ups for the routes. These are meant to be general descriptions of the routes and return route options to supplement the GPS route files - not turn by turn directions.

We are still trying to confirm some details about road status for Routes 2, 8 and 10 and we will amend the write-ups when we get more information.

1 Steptoe Butte

2 Elk River

3 Lower Granite Dam

4 Palouse Falls

5 Coeur d'Alene

6 Weippe

7 Rattlesnake Canyon-Enterprise

8 St. Joe River Scenic Byway

9 Elk City

10 Lolo Pass Summit

Let me know if you have any difficulties with the files or if you notice any mistakes. Thanks.

Top notch service Al! Many thanks. I was really kinda stumped at where to ride. Like a kid who goes to Baskin-Robbins, you don't want to waste your three scoops (or three days) on a flavor that sucks. There is lots to choose from

Route Revision Notes

I appreciate the comments about the routes - I enjoy making them up and I hope that everyone enjoys riding them.

I thought that I should point out that there are several revisions that have taken place to 3 of the routes since they were first posted (revised versions are now in DropBox links). If you've downloaded these files already, you may want to get the newer versions if you're thinking of riding the following routes.

Route 2 - Elk River has revised text in the write-up to update that we have found out the Back Country Scenic Byway in Route 2B still includes an 8 - 10 mile section of GRAVEL. MikeRC will be checking out the condition and suitability for street bike travel early in the rally and will report back.

Route 5 - Coeur d'Alene has an alternate route added using WA 27 to get to Coeur d'Alene instead of riding up US 95 in Idaho - this a more laid-back, scenic option with less traffic. GDB, GPX and write-up files have been revised.

Route 9 - Elk City had a revised Route 091 added. This incorporates the Winchester Grade into the route (thanks MikeRC) and also changes the direction of travel to counter-clockwise to give more uphill, twisty sections. GDB, GPX and write-up files have been revised.

Note that the All Routes GDB and GPX files now contain all the revised routes as well.

Having trouble downloading. You mentioned written descriptions. Are they available? I looked but did not find. Thanks

Having trouble downloading. You mentioned written descriptions. Are they available? I looked but did not find. Thanks

Post #888167 above has the links to the documents (with written descriptions). Post #888227 has a corrected link for Steptoe Butte. Clicking on each link should take you to the dropbox page where the file is located--you can download from there.

Archived