IGNORED

Excited Chatter Thread

Bud

Am I assuming correctly that the toll roads in New York simply send me a bill in the mail?

I have an EZTag for use in Texas and some other states, but that does not appear to work up there. 

I don't know for a fact if your pass will work but, the Mass pass that I have seems work in most places. I would go with the assumption that it works. If not, they will send the toll in the Mail. Never heard of tickets or fines as long as you held a transponder.

Having just done this (I forgot my E-ZPass). NY does not appear to do photo tolling. I had to stop and give cash at each booth. (I87 around Albany some place)

Most of the highways near LG appear to not have tolls. Not sure on bridges.

I sprayed my riding boots with silicone waterproofer yesterday, then set them out in the sun to dry. We had torrential rains overnight..... Fans are blowing into them at the moment, and they will be dry by Friday's launch window.

I-90 across New York is toll all the way across.  The Southern Tier I-86 to I-81to I-88 is not toll.  I-87 (NY Thruway) from the NY/NJ border is toll to Albany then the thruway becomes I-90 to Buffalo and is toll.  I-87 above Albany is the Northway and is not toll.  Hope this helps.

My boot dryer at work. At first I tried blowing, then sucking, which is far more effective. No off-color jokes, please.

193504798_BootDryer.thumb.jpg.1f5ff86183f489b5cc4fd1148f3d6a10.jpg

roadscholar
2 hours ago, Selden said:

I sprayed my riding boots with silicone waterproofer yesterday, then set them out in the sun to dry. We had torrential rains overnight..... Fans are blowing into them at the moment, and they will be dry by Friday's launch window.

Stuff old newspapers in them and let sit overnight, they'll be dry by morning.

1 hour ago, ltljohn said:

I-90 across New York is toll all the way across.  The Southern Tier I-86 to I-81to I-88 is not toll.  I-87 (NY Thruway) from the NY/NJ border is toll to Albany then the thruway becomes I-90 to Buffalo and is toll.  I-87 above Albany is the Northway and is not toll.  Hope this helps.

I don't mind paying the tolls, which is a blatant lie, but I still need to confirm how to pay them. It looks to me like you just fly through the "cashless" toll lanes at speed. Then in a month you get a bill in the mail. At least that is the way it looks when you read the NY toll road site. Stopping to pay cash at a toll booth is bad enough, but on a motorcycle it is a royal pain in the ass. Surely some one here can varify?

I am not sure as I have always had a toll transponder.  I know some of the new toll plazas have a sign indicating that you just go through and they will bill you, others make you stop.

4 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Stuff old newspapers in them and let sit overnight, they'll be dry by morning.

With the shop vac, they were dry in less than 2 hours.

roadscholar
3 hours ago, Selden said:

With the shop vac, they were dry in less than 2 hours.

You gonna bungee that shop vac on the back seat.  :)

• Haha 2

Heading out tomorrow (Thursday) morning with my son and my buddy, Mike Hobbs. We’re taking an indirect route once we get to New York. Should roll in sometime Sunday. We’re staying offsite, and will try to get over to HQ if we arrive in time. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, realshelby said:

I don't mind paying the tolls, which is a blatant lie, but I still need to confirm how to pay them. It looks to me like you just fly through the "cashless" toll lanes at speed. Then in a month you get a bill in the mail. At least that is the way it looks when you read the NY toll road site. Stopping to pay cash at a toll booth is bad enough, but on a motorcycle it is a royal pain in the ass. Surely some one here can varify?

New York State still has toll booths where you stop and pay if you don't have a transponder.  One at the PA border to get a ticket, one outside of Buffalo to exit the Toll part and stay on I-90, another on the other side of Buffalo to get another ticket, and then finally when you exit I-90 or New York.

They have manual pay and transponder lanes at each location, i don't know if you can go through the transponder lanes without one and not expect a problem later.  

In Mass there are no booths just overhead gantries to manage it all.

You might have to contact the NY Thruway to see what their rules are for the Fast lanes

I just did a quick search on the NY Toll Website and saw this...

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/tolls/cashless-tolls.html

How Does it Work?

If you have E-ZPass, your toll is collected using the same process that you are already familiar with. If you don't have E-ZPass sign-up here to start saving time and money today. E-ZPass is accepted in 16 states across the Northeast and Midwest Leaving NYS Thruway Authority's Website .  Prepaid E-ZPass accounts can be purchased without waiting in line at select retail locations.

Motorists without E-ZPass using the New York State Thruway cashless tolling system can pay their toll bill a variety of ways. After a motorist travels through a cashless facility, an image is captured of the license plate. Using the address on file with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), a toll bill is mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle. Motorists are required by law to keep their address current with the Department of Motor Vehicles to ensure bills are mailed to the proper owner. Drivers must update their address with the DMV Leaving NYS Thruway Authority's Website within 10 days of moving.

Motorists can avoid fines or possible registration suspension by paying their toll bills on time.

I'm excited. Get to see friends I've never met! And some I haven't seen in some ten years. And some weekend riding. 

I'm excited!

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

It looks like this only works for NY registered vehicles. 

It works for any state, not sure about Canadian vehicles. I called them. Which was a typical goverment call, I think I got what I needed. Running I-90 from Erie, PA over to I-87 it should be all "cashless". So, I just go like I do here in Texas with my EZtag. He wasn't sure about I-87 from I-90 to Lake George being 100% cashless. But you can bet I will be testing that. I will be there for  a week, and should get one bill for the entire period. 

I am already unhappy with New Yorks gun laws, depending on how this goes might determine if I ever go back there again. Part of this trip is scouting for a trip with my wife in a year or so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple more things about I-90.  There are plenty of rest/gas stops and  I usually see lots of state troopers, mind your speed.

• Like 1

Rode up to Bristol today on my way to Gettysburg tomorrow.  Plan to spend most of Saturday at the battlefield and overnight near Wilkes Barre PA.  Looking forward to some cooler weather!

9 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Rode up to Bristol today on my way to Gettysburg tomorrow.  Plan to spend most of Saturday at the battlefield and overnight near Wilkes Barre PA.  Looking forward to some cooler weather!

Mike,   

I am meeting Hammock Mike at the Bob Evans here  920 Schechter Dr, Wilkes-Barre Township, PA 18702 at 8A.M. Sunday.

You are welcome to join us if it fits your plans.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ltljohn said:

Mike,   

I am meeting Hammock Mike at the Bob Evans here  920 Schechter Dr, Wilkes-Barre Township, PA 18702 at 8A.M. Sunday.

You are welcome to join us if it fits your plans.

Works for me, I'm staying in Drums Saturday night.  See yall there

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Works for me, I'm staying in Drums Saturday night.  See yall there

Great! it is right at exit 168 of I-81

• Like 1

Stuck in Marion, Illinois waiting out a severe thunderstorm......Don't mind the rain, but learned my lesson about the winds these produce a couple years back.....No worries, still at the motel. And an easy day today, only 538 miles to Medina, Ohio! 790 yesterday.

• Like 2

Andy, Randy, and I left the Carnesville Flying J at 6:15 Friday, and arrived at the Studio Motel of Lake George at 1:15 this afternoon, had my stuff offloaded by 1:30, when they departed for Dunham's Bay. I camped out in the in the air conditioned office until Woodie arrived, since the reservation was in his name. After introductions, he took me on a brief tour of the area. Lake George Village might as well be called "Carmel by the Lake." Too many people, but it is a sunny Saturday afternoon  in the 4th week of June, so that's to be expected. 

We will be headed out for dinner at the Logjam, hoping others will show up. 

image.thumb.png.2212aae4b68ee79f8189a6d486ee2add.png

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ltljohn said:

T-12 hours tick.....tick....tick....

Same here!

Meeting BobW03 & my buddy Mitch at Vic's Waffle House in Tewksbury for a quick bite, then off to meet oldironken out on RT 2 at 9:00. Should be rolling in to LG about noontime. :thumbsup:

Alex and I are spending tonight in Lake Placid. We’ll roll into Lake George sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening. imageproxy.php?img=&key=b613679a0814d9ec

719BBFAA-7F9C-4726-B2DA-49FEAFE23B1E.jpeg

B17F6585-2244-498D-9C14-AEEB23D4044B.jpeg

• Like 1

Meeting Hammock Mike and MikeB60 at 0800, picking up Mrs Hammock Mike in Albany around 1400, we should be there for pre-dinner cocktails.

10 hours ago, ltljohn said:

Meeting Hammock Mike and MikeB60 at 0800, picking up Mrs Hammock Mike in Albany around 1400, we should be there for pre-dinner cocktails.

T minus 15.  Ready to launch

15612833677613815355002820047866.jpg

• Like 1