IGNORED

Excited Chatter Thread

Bud

The last UN I attended was in 2015, four long years ago. There was an Excited Chatter Thread that year and I thought we should have one this year as well.

So I will start it off.

I'm excited to be attending an UN on my sidecar. Not a bike, trike, spyder, car or any other type of motorized vehicle. Steep learning curve for this old phart but it's coming along. I need to do a trail modification to the front end and lean the bike out a little more to get more neutral handling.

Will be giving rides to the brave at $75.00 a piece or could be bribed to do it for nothing. :rofl:

cohack.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My GPS is all loaded up and I've been saying vroom vroom a lot. Now I'm not sure but, I think that counts. :dontknow: :grin:

• Like 1

I'm almost ready. Need tires, need brakes, need 12k service... Ok, maybe not quite ready. But soon!

Vroom, vroom

• Like 2

my bike is in the shop.  I have an ABS issue.  hopefully fixed by tomorrow and will have the bike back for at least 4 weeks prior to leaving.  Need to update the GPS.  but I think  that is about it.

So as usual BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta to the rescue.  ABS issue fixed, Annual service completed, New Front and Rear tires installed.  Trailer just had wheel bearing checked and packed and replaced 15 year old wiring harness and lights with new harness and all LED lights. Truck has 4 new tires, new front rotors, brakes, and calipers, rebuilt transmission just installed.  SENA was updated for START, so just need to update GPS with routes, and set up of featured locations.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, randy said:

So as usual BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta to the rescue.  ABS issue fixed, Annual service completed, New Front and Rear tires installed.  Trailer just had wheel bearing checked and packed and replaced 15 year old wiring harness and lights with new harness and all LED lights. Truck has 4 new tires, new front rotors, brakes, and calipers, rebuilt transmission just installed.  SENA was updated for START, so just need to update GPS with routes, and set up of featured locations.

Sounds like you are ready @Randy - now just remember your motorcycle key!:18:

• 2 weeks later...

I can't think of a better place to ask this question, so here goes. Will anybody be bringing an Android phone with Motoscan + adapter cable to this year's UnRally? 

I finally have a 21st century BMW (2014 F700GS), and technology has evolved a wee bit since 1999. A "Service" warning showed up on the instrument cluster about 200 miles ago. Except for valve adjustment (which seems to be a lot more involved than on my old R1100RT), I prefer to do all my own routine service, and I would like to find out how to reset the service reminder. I have an OBCD II reader, but I have no idea where the diagnostic port is on the F700GS. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to riding and camping across the US and Canada. 

It looks like my tires will make it but I have a new set so I may change them anyway.

Prolly check the valves and change the oil as well....and sinc the carbs.

I need to practice camping out too.

• Like 1

I'd be interested in that Motoscan thing too, especially if I'm unable to reset the service indicator before I get to the Un.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:06 AM, Whip said:

Prolly check the valves and change the oil as well....and sinc the carbs.

I crossed over to type 2 diabetes last fall, so I have to sink my carbs too.... I was visiting my mother earlier this month, and climbing about 800 steps/day to a 4th floor room, so my valves seem to be OK. :classic_laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, lawnchairboy said:

:whistle:  Tick tick tick

One more wake up and we'll be in the right month! :dance:

2 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

:whistle:  Tick tick tick

Too early for channel fever, but it's coming soon.....

I got in 275 miles yesterday, I rode about half of my route to the UN.  Was this a sub-conscious pull in that direction?

Sounds like it!  I'm repacking the tool kit. Brake pads - done. Brake fluid - looks perfect. TBS done. Valves done. Oil changed.

Didn't do the final drive/transmission. Have to leave something for the rest of the summer.

Tires - scheduled for next week (dealership).

I rode 99% of the way to the Un this week. (Americade). Will repeat some of the route in 15 days, but not all of it. 

Tires changed.

Just need to throw some clothes in, put up my Out of Office notice...and ride away. :)

realshelby

Just looked at my calender in the shop. 14 days until I pull out of the shop and head north....

Have an oil change, rear tire, rear tire tps to get up to snuff. 

I am behind at work. Better work harder for a while!

Only 2 weeks away.  It seem quiet in here. Bike is ready, just a few last minute checks then pack up and gas up.

Quiet anticipation...:grin: I'd assume the long distance riders are nearing their launch countdown. :bike:

Camping test night ... check

New tires mounted... check

Oil change ... check

Valves adjusted ... check

Tranny oil change ... check

Final Drive oil ... not yet need more gear oil

Carb sinc ... not yet

Figure out how to pack tent, sleeping mat, and folding chair... kinda but not really.

...to be continued

• Like 1
steve.foote

All my gear is sorted out.  Getting ready to spoon on new shoes and perhaps I'll even wash it.  Definitely ready for the break!

Sighhhhh. No one has changed the oil, the rear tire, or fixed the tps in the rear for me. 

Guess I will have to do it myself. Time is getting short......

steve.foote
15 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Washing! I knew I was forgetting something. Does riding in the rain count?

Woodie, riding in the rain us my usual method, but I'm feeling energetic right now.  Hopefully, that shall pass.

• Like 1

It never got much above 70° today, so I went for a ride on the RT, which reminded me how much more effort it requires than the GS700. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, but still unseasonably cool, so I plan to ride the GS up to Tellico Plains for lunch at the Tellico Grains bakery.

• Like 2

Bike is ready, not sure I am.   In my third week of long tiring days working on my daughter and son-in-laws home in Incline, NV (Lake Tahoe). 

I am, however, extremely excited about taking off the following Saturday with Mark (@Marcopolo) for 2 day, mostly 2 lane road routes up and back to the Un. Looking forward to the fellowship and riding, with BMWST members I have ridden with before and meeting the new ones that will be in attendance!  :clap:

• Like 2

Leaving Wednesday and meeting Joel at the Haywood Smokehouse in Dillsboro, NC. We will ride up together for 2-3 days then I go visit my mom and he his sister for the weekend.

• Like 1

Unseasonably cool weather in north Georgia has allowed me to get in more practice miles than expected. Yesterday up to Tellico Plains and back; today 129 through Neel's Gap, then 180 over to 75, and another roller coaster toward Helen.

I think I have finished tweaking the F700GS, which is notorious for soft forks that dive like crazy on braking. Adding a mere 10 cc of 20 weight oil to each fork leg raised the oil level enough to transform the front suspension: the dive is gone, while still retaining a supple ride. 

Tires have 7000 miles on them, and will probably need to be replaced after Unrally 2019.

• Like 1

New tires and rear brake pads and I'm set. Got a sexy new front wheel off of Ebay from a 2017 GT in black.  Looks sharp!  But wait there's a problem, ABS lights are flashing.  Gotta be something with the front wheel or sensor, right. Yep, GS 911 says no signal from the front.  Any one see the problem?  I realized it just after hitting read codes on the GS911.  Anyways ready to roll out this Thursday after removing my head from my 4th point of contact!

20190615_215945.jpg

• Like 1
steve.foote
9 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

New tires and rear brake pads and I'm set. Got a sexy new front wheel off of Ebay from a 2017 GT in black.  Looks sharp!  But wait there's a problem, ABS lights are flashing.  Gotta be something with the front wheel or sensor, right. Yep, GS 911 says no signal from the front.  Any one see the problem?  I realized it just after hitting read codes on the GS911.  Anyways ready to roll out this Thursday after removing my head from my 4th point of contact!

20190615_215945.jpg

Looks like you got that new 'stealth' ABS ring model, Mike.  It does look good, though!

I've converted some of the GPS routes to Google maps, just not sure of which direction yours went (clockwise or anti clockwise).

That could make for some interesting group rides! Lol

Saturday is coming!! 

1 hour ago, Woodie said:

I've converted some of the GPS routes to Google maps, just not sure of which direction yours went (clockwise or anti clockwise).

If you happen to see a few BMW riders approaching & waving halfway through the ride, it was the other way. :grin: We'll work it out before the rides! :thumbsup:

Bike Service..........DONE

Routes Loaded.....DONE

Pack Bike..............Saturday evening

Enjoy old friends and meet some now ones.....all of next week.

Is it time yet?

• Like 2

Bike is ready. Need to pack it up. 

Leaving about 3:30 am Friday morning........routing through Little Rock, Memphis, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cleveland, Buffalo. About 1850 miles. Be there Sunday afternoon......

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, realshelby said:

Bike is ready. Need to pack it up. 

Leaving about 3:30 am Friday morning........routing through Little Rock, Memphis, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cleveland, Buffalo. About 1850 miles. Be there Sunday afternoon......

I just traveled round-trip from Connecticut to the Cleveland area by car last week.  South of Cleveland  I-271 has some construction on the lower end a few miles north of-71.  From there on across Ohio, PA, and NY on I-90 was remarkably clear of construction and traffic rolled nicely along.