IGNORED

BMW Bikes are no good

Turbosneeze

Turbosneeze

I was just thinking... just until a few years back, I use to knock on BMW bikes all the time for no apparent reason other than ignorance and perhaps, just plain envious of the type of bike that I counldn't afford then.

After owning 2 BMW bikes (K1200LT and R1150RT), I just simply want to say... BMW makes some amazing bikes!!! Everytime I get off the saddle, I want to get right back on it in a few minutes. I get constant thumbs up by people but it is an entirely different type of response as compared to when I rode cruisers. Wow, what a bike! Total Motoring Satisfaction...

Well.... I just bought my fifth BMW and I dont know how I feel about them right now. I bought this '03 R1150RS sight unseen from a dealer, "does it surge?-Nope rode it myself and its fine" I picked it up a week ago and am trying to fall in love with "Surgio" and am asking why hasnt BMW worked this problem out, Why do I have to go through all the trouble and time to troubleshoot these oilheads. I love how the bike handles and looks and fits but I am discusted with the motor. (third oilhead-all have surged a little, this one is the worst by far) It would be so bad if you can take it to the dealer and say fix it- they cant, Ive spent plenty of money going this route in the past. So I will start the process of "curing" the surging issue, but to be honest I have been asking myself why do I do this to myself- just go out and buy a Yamaha 1300. Sorry to vent- Im just disappointed and frustrated.

If a bit of surging bugs you, and you've done this before, you should have held out for an '04. Perhaps get the dual plug done on your '03???

I'm just curious, which dealer did you happen to purchase from?

You're obviously better off trying to cure it yourself but I understand the frustration.

I should have gotten an 04, but I have heard they surge also. I'm no expert- but I have had the understanding that surging ment the motor is running too lean, why then would dual plugging a motor fix a surging problem. Sync the throttle bodies will make the problem less noticable. A chip to fatten the fuel delivery around 3250 -4000 would be nice. But what irritates me is when you take it to the dealer they just smile and say they all do that. I dont mean to be complaining, Ive had a rough day. dopeslap.gif

russell_bynum
I should have gotten an 04, but I have heard they surge also. I'm no expert- but I have had the understanding that surging ment the motor is running too lean, why then would dual plugging a motor fix a surging problem. Sync the throttle bodies will make the problem less noticable. A chip to fatten the fuel delivery around 3250 -4000 would be nice. But what irritates me is when you take it to the dealer they just smile and say they all do that. I dont mean to be complaining, Ive had a rough day. dopeslap.gif

OK, I'm just going to be blunt because...well...because I'm not good at being subtle.

My honest and (hopefully) helpful advice: Get over it.

If the bike surges a bit at certain RPM/loads, then don't put the motor in that RPM/load configuration. Shift gears, speed up, slow down, etc.

If you're the type who likes to tinker, then you can improve the situation with a good tuneup.

If you're the type who likes to throw money at problems, buy a Techlusion, Power Commander, or a chip.

For all the whining and bitching that people do regarding surging, you'd think the bikes were unridable. It's just a minor flaw...ignore it, ride around it, or fix it and move on with your life. You'll be much happier.

I put 18000 miles on my RT before I even HEARD of surging. Then I read all about these people who were "nearly bucked off" their bikes (that was one of my personal favorites) and surging so bad, the bike is unridable, so I investigated. Sure enough...if I put the bike at 45mph in 3rd gear at steady speed, it would hunt a bit. The horrors. So I did what everyone else was doing...I spent a hideous amount of time adjusting valves, syncing the throttle bodies, and tweaking the TPS sensor. I made the problem ALMOST go away. I drove myself crazy, sometimes doing valve adjusts/TB syncs every 2500-3000 miles to keep the bike in tip-top tune.

At some point, I just stopped caring. I put 18000 miles on the bike without even knowing that there was such a thing as surging, then I spent 24,000 miles obsessed with it. Now I just ride the thing. I do the tune-ups every 6K per the spec (although...once the thing got broken in, the valves rarely need adjustment) and other than that, I just ride.

Yes, it surges a bit if I go 45mph in 3rd gear....so I don't do that.

groundeffect

I agree with Bounce!

It's an easy fix to just 'ride through' the surge- find another rpm setting.

My 02rs will surge very slightly in 1st gear at around 2800 rpm...who cares? tongue.gif

I would gladly say that BMW's are no good -for those who dont own one that is. I am on my third one, my first,71 r60,was a basket case. I bought it for $100 and the engine was in a basket! After years of searching and saving for parts, pre internet days, I road that bike for the next 10 yrs with only a few minor mechanical failures. They were easy to fix. Second was a GS100 very reliable and ugly, that is a good thing. My current ride is a Boston Green 99 rt. as usual stone cold reliable and a beauty on the road. My harley riding, testosterone challenged co-workers can't seem to understand and never will!!!! until they experience what we all already know - riding is a personal exercise in mental agility combined with the freedom of interacting with ones enviroment on the most basic level. Stress relief without the co-pay or the hassle of the doctor's office. I ride to work everyday. In Houston that means around 300+ days a year and look forward to the trip both ways. Some people at work think I am crazy to ride in houston traffic, but maybe that is what keeps me from going crazy. Any way you slice it riding a BMW is the best therapy for ones soul in this microwave age. Everybody wants to be somewhere 5 minutes ago, I would rather get there 10 minutes late!!!! and never apoligize for it.

I am just so pleased I have a 2000RT that does not surge! Autolite 3923 spark plugs... GS Snorkel tubes and a good mechanic. 25,000 miles and a new clutch. The seal leaked as some do... otherwise a great bike.

Rob

Well, after 42 years on bikes of all sorts, including 12 BMW's, I think I can speak with some knowledge. I agree with the thought that if it surges at 3K, don't ride at 3K. But, and hopefully you will agree, the basic idea is that for a $20K bike to have such a major fault and have BMW rfuse to acknowledge it is obnoxious. While they say there is no problem, they came out with a twin plug to "help meet EPA guidelines". Seem kind of funny that they did this in the middle of all the dispute about surging. There are times when you would be hard pressed to ride outside the surging zone. You shouldn't have to make allowances for a BMW. This problem has been going on so long that it would be nice to know how many buyers have gone to other brands.

This is the same thing the American auto industry went through with the imports. It was originally "if you want one, you have to buy ours". Then it was "buy American" even though they didn't care about the American buyer. And finally, guess what. they decided that they were doing too much damge to their sales and finally made a product to be proud of. So, here is BMW...

the seat is too hard? Too bad, make allowances. Bike is too heavy, too bad, make allowances. Bike surges, too bad, make allowances. Parts way to expensive, too bad, make allowances. But they did do one thing for us loyal customers.... if you don't like the problems, buy a NEW BMW.... too bad the problems followed it, make allowances.... Just my thoughts, but don't even try to take my Beemer from me. I'll follow the Lemmings over the cliff just to prove I'm right..... Jeff

russell_bynum

the basic idea is that for a $20K bike to have such a major fault and have BMW rfuse to acknowledge it is obnoxious.

IT IS NOT A MAJOR FLAW.

A major flaw is a frame that cracks, wheels that fall off, pistons that seize, etc.

Surging is, at the most, a minor annoyance.

the seat is too hard? Too bad, make allowances.

That's a matter of personal preference. I've done a 1300-mie day on my BMW "Comfort" saddle and I know several people with Saddlesore 1000 license plate frames and stock saddles.

Bike is too heavy, too bad, make allowances.

With the RT: Well...it's a big-ass touring bike...of course it is going to be heavy. But compare it with its main competition when it came out:

ST1100: ~650lbs dry

R1100RT: ~560lbs dry

Concours: ~600lbs dry

So...it was best-in-class when it came out. If memory serves, the R1200RT received a substantial diet (in addition to more power).

Parts way to expensive, too bad, make allowances.

Are the parts prices really that far out of line with other manufacturers?

You shouldn't have to make allowances for a BMW.

Why? It is just a machine. Machines are not perfect, and often the engineers have to make sacrifices in one area to meet their design goals in another. My CBR600RR is a phenominal bike, but it doesn't make any power in the low RPM range...so I have to make allowances...I keep the thing wound up tight all the time if I want power. The oilhead surges at certain RPM/load conditions, so I tune it to reduce that as much as possible, and either ride around it or ignore it.

For all the whining and bitching that people do regarding surging, you'd think the bikes were unridable. It's just a minor flaw...ignore it, ride around it, or fix it and move on with your life. You'll be much happier.

Russell, I don't see how you can take something that varies from bike to bike and state "My bike is OK with me, so you're just whining".

On my RT, it was bucking. It was intolerable to run less than 40MPH in ANY gear. Smooth throttle application in corners? Not. Karen's helmet bashing into mine at 30MPH, sure thing. It was bad enough to load/unload the driveline mid corner. Yee gads, it impacted my whole riding style.

If you want to have a BMW love fest, oh what perfect bikes, wonderful engineering... I can see where someone might groan about this issue. Heck, I might groan about this issue. wink.gif

But I fixed it, I loved the RT. But it was a flaw in my eyes. Now where I agree is that it's an age old issue. There are solutions. BMW this, or they should have that is all wasted breath. Fix it, sell the bike, or whatever...

The GS was AMAZING, simply because it ran right. And it ran right straight out of the box. No "wait for the 600mi service" not "wait for it to break in". That my friend is amazing and deserves a lovefest. BMWRich on the other hand was telling me how he didn't like it. Something about "character". grin.gif

Now the new bike, ya see the guy who's name is on the side of the tank? He reads the main message board (badweb). As does his engineers. Heck, in a couple weeks I'm going to go meet the guy, tour the factory, and go for a ride. wave.gif

Are the parts prices really that far out of line with other manufacturers?

One of the Buell features is parts cost. Not just daily stuff...but for example Chad lowsided his Uly, $120ish to get it LIKE NEW. I think I paid more than that for a turn signal pod for the RT. New ECU for the Uly? $200ish.

russell_bynum

Russell, I don't see how you can take something that varies from bike to bike and state "My bike is OK with me, so you're just whining".

I think you missed my point...which was the same as what you said: "Fix it, sell the bike, or whatever..."

I never got to experience your RT, but I have ridden quite a few RT's and the very worst one (which, by the way, was my bike when I was screwing around with the TPS and got it REALLY wrong) just wasn't bad enough for me to worry about. I've definitely felt what I'd call "bucking"...which was the abupt on-off throttle transition and/or driveline lash.

At any rate...regardless of what causes the problem or how severe it is on any given bike, the answer is the same...fix it, ride around it, ignore it, or sell the bike and move on. People are riding a $16000 bike with a $1000 GPS, $1000 riding suit, $500 helmet, $200 boots, $250 tank bag, $800 saddle, $300 driving lights, etc...then they act like a couple hundred bucks for a chip/techlusion/power commander is the end of the world.

Now the new bike, ya see the guy who's name is on the side of the tank? He reads the main message board (badweb). As does his engineers. Heck, in a couple weeks I'm going to go meet the guy, tour the factory, and go for a ride.

Too cool. I've heard that about Buell and I'm glad to hear first-hand that it is true.

One of the Buell features is parts cost. Not just daily stuff...but for example Chad lowsided his Uly, $120ish to get it LIKE NEW. I think I paid more than that for a turn signal pod for the RT. New ECU for the Uly? $200ish.

Nice. I haven't really paid that much attention, but when I've bought parts for the Honda, it really hasn't seemed that much different than BMW's parts prices. That might not be an accurate statement, but I certainly haven't had any "WOW!!! THAT'S WAY CHEAPER THAN BMW." moments so far.

Too cool. I've heard that about Buell and I'm glad to hear first-hand that it is true.

Hey, take that demo ride yet? smile.gif

russell_bynum

Hey, take that demo ride yet

LOL!

It is not rational at all (as if riding motorcycles could ever be rational), but even though I know the XB12R would be a good fit for what I want out of a bike, it just doesn't do anything for me. I'm sorta in the same boat with the S3...I can't find much that's actually wrong with it, but when my thoughts drift off during a meeting and I find myself carving up Carmel Valley Road at hyper-sonic speeds, I'm never on a Speed Triple, XB12R, or a 919.

I'm telling ya man, ride one. Just for grins. Look on badweb for a local nice guy dealer who will throw you the keys and say "see ya". smile.gif

...but when my thoughts drift off during a meeting and I find myself carving up Carmel Valley Road at hyper-sonic speeds, I'm never on a Speed Triple, XB12R, or a 919.

So what are you riding, a Sportster with tassels? tongue.gif

Everytime I get off the saddle, I want to get right back on it in a few minutes.

Don't know why this is, but it's my experience as well! thumbsup.gif

I hate to say this but...I will anyway.

Without delving into my past, I didn't tell my riding pals I purchased a BMW. I just showed up for a riding day and got the deer caught in headlights look.

They mumbled and grumbled and made threats of diss-owning me in friendship. Then the comment of we'll see you when you get there put a smile on my face.

The short version is, when we arrived at our morning breakfast get together...I look at them and asked them "what took you so long" grin.gif

I got a free breakfast that day....and they have new found respect for the BMW.

russell_bynum
Touché. I deserved that. smile.gif

LOL! I knew Mitch was good wingman material.

Thank's for watching my six, buddy.

grin.gif

I think you missed my point...which was the same as what you said: "Fix it, sell the bike, or whatever..."

"Whatever" can be complaining about it, you know grin.gif

At any rate...regardless of what causes the problem or how severe it is on any given bike, the answer is the same...fix it, ride around it, ignore it, or sell the bike and move on. People are riding a $16000 bike with a $1000 GPS, $1000 riding suit, $500 helmet, $200 boots, $250 tank bag, $800 saddle, $300 driving lights, etc...then they act like a couple hundred bucks for a chip/techlusion/power commander is the end of the world.

I think you're generalizing a bit too much here to make a valid point. I bought my R1100RT for $8k, used. I've never spent anywhere near the amount you put above (everything on sale or secondhand). Personally, I've sacrificed financially to get my "BMW fix". But with your above tone, I feel that if I ask for help because my bike surges I'll get ridiculed for being a "baby?"

Yes, the bikes can surge. Yes, you can fix it to a tolerable level. Yes, you can learn to ride around the issue. But...it is poor design that it happens and takes so much effort to deal with if the luck-of-the-draw happens to have your bike affected.

I've learned to live with it -- a blemish on an otherwise fabulous bike.

Later,

jan

Jim VonBaden

I just love the BMW posts. Everyone acts like BMW is the only bike out there with any problems.

EVERY brand of bike has it's share of issues. Many bike "surge" as badly, or worse than the R bikes. Hell, there are people who claim the hexhead surges.

Me, I think it is as much to do with maintenance and riding style as the bike. I did 60K on two different R bikes with no hint of surging. Then again, I ride way above a crawl, so I was rarely in the 3-4K RPM range.

Jim cool.gif

Funny, my BMW is the only bike I've owned wink.gif

Hmmm...perhaps my only comparison with a motorized vehicle is any one of the cars I've owned. None of their engines would act like that, so when my bike's engine surged it was a unpleasant suprise.

This gives me a great excuse to start trying other bikes out! thumbsup.gif

There is a great Truth out there (where else?) that reads: "You will always fixate on the one thing wrong". With my seat I got a Bill Mayer replacement. Now it's the engine, with lighting not far behind. Heh-heh-heh... grin.gif

Later,

jan

... I feel that if I ask for help because my bike surges I'll get ridiculed for being a "baby?"

Later,

jan

Jan, I don't think you should be ridiculed for asking about a fix to something that bothers you. And you shouldn't hesitate to ask.

What folks here are talking about, and what pisses me off, is the endless bitching and moaning from people who refuse to take any steps to correct the issue themselves. They seem to have a pathological need to be miserable.

Either;

A. Eliminate the problem.

B. Live with it.

Regardless of which choice a person makes, I don't want to hear the whine.

pete

And while we're talking about surging. . .I've seen on other forums (GS) that replacing the noisy left cam-chain tensioner has ELIMINATED surging in several instances, and their reasoning makes some sense to me--the slack in the cam-chain can alter valve timing enough to cause the surge at certain RPMs. The new tensioner kit that BMW sells has a stiffer spring and applies more tension to the chain, thereby reducing the slack and bringing the valve tolerances closer.

I haven't seen much discussion on these forums about this--has anyone found this to be "the cure" for RTs? If so, I'm willing to gamble $60 to make my bike run "perfect" if possible.

I asked this same question several years ago.. The general board response was a slam dunk, no... But I still believe under certain conditions it is a causal factor!!

BK

If ya want to cruise at 3500-4000, then buy a cruiser. grin.gif

Seriously, I agree with Bounce (the now BMW-less BMW rider). A better tune-up can improve the situation, but it seems to return in a couple of thousand miles. However, if I'm riding in the normal powerband, I rarely notice surging anyhow. 3500 RPM is not the normal powerband for my RT, and I doubt that it is for the RS either. And, if it really bothered me, I'd just do the twin-spark mod, and that before I'd add more electronic controls. I think the techlusion, & etc., just mask tuning problems I'd rather have fixed.

Good luck!

russell_bynum

I think you're generalizing a bit too much here to make a valid point. I bought my R1100RT for $8k, used. I've never spent anywhere near the amount you put above (everything on sale or secondhand). Personally, I've sacrificed financially to get my "BMW fix". But with your above tone, I feel that if I ask for help because my bike surges I'll get ridiculed for being a "baby?"

No no...that's fine. Where I get annoyed is with the people who insist that "it is a BMW, it should be perfect", or "I spent $20,000 on this thing, it should be flawless." That just isn't the case. I really don't know of any high-end vehicle (car or bike) that doesn't have some issues and "character". At this point, though, the problem is well defined, and are the options for dealing with it.

Basically...it is what it is. Deal with it, ignore it, or sell the bike. But the people who jump up and down and stomp on the ground while shouting about how terrible it is that their $20,000 motorcycle isn't perfect are just being babies.

Asking for help dealing with the problem is fine...in fact PLEASE do ask.

But as much as I love bitchin' about BMW's, why is THAT the only annoying whining? Bitching about H-D or squids is OK? Bad drivers? Cell phones? SUVs? What, like posts on this board are going to change things? You've probably got a better chance of getting BMW to recalli all oilheads for new EFI.

Of course I still smile when I see someone post some story about how their bike doesn't bug them... Input spline failure? That never happened to me, quit your whinin' and learn to ride around it. Fred Flintstone did! grin.gif

Threads like *this* are really the useless ones. They start with no other point than simply "Isn't my BMW just the best dang thing, not at all like all the problems I read about here". It's a forum to discuss problems. You want happy stories about bikes that didn't need work? Read ride tales.

I really don't know of any high-end vehicle (car or bike) that doesn't have some issues and "character".

Lexus and/or Toyota?

After owning 2 BMW bikes (K1200LT and R1150RT), I just simply want to say... BMW makes some amazing bikes!!! Everytime I get off the saddle, I want to get right back on it in a few minutes. I get constant thumbs up by people but it is an entirely different type of response as compared to when I rode cruisers. Wow, what a bike! Total Motoring Satisfaction...
I think I have figured out at least here out west why HD riders put there bikes away for about half the year, rain voids the warranty. dopeslap.gifgrin.gifdopeslap.gifgrin.gif

Of course I still smile when I see someone post some story about how their bike doesn't bug them... Input spline failure? That never happened to me, quit your whinin' and learn to ride around it. Fred Flintstone did!

So, are you saying that I'm wrong not to worry about a problem that effects a statistically insignificant number of my model of bmw? confused.gif

Could we please go back to discussing politics or religion? There's a better chance of having a civil discussion with those topics.

pete

I guess I started this thread, by "whinning" that my bike surged. I'm new to this board (and this will be my last post- and I'm leaving with no hard feelings) I bought my first BMW in 1970- and have never been without a beemer since. I currently own 7 bikes and most of them run, well some of them run- on most days. What attracted me to BMW was their commitment to quality and engineering. (if you think you are unique ridding a beemer today- you should have done it 40 years ago). There are many on this board who know what I'm talking about. What I have enjoyed about this mark is that most guys know their bikes and worked on them themselves. I have not had a bike to a dealer for service work in 25 years. Most of the guys I ride with are the same way- I rebuilt a r100 motor this winter-no big deal. Where this is leading, I guess, is my amazement on the response to my "whinning" about surging. This is a problem that I feel BMW needs to own and adress. Period. To get responses back like live with it, ride around it, deal with it you big whinner... amazes me. Arent there any old school BMW guys out there. You know the helpful mechanic/enginers/problem solvers guys that would ride 3 hours to help a ridder with a mechanical issue on his bike. I guess not. ( they probably in the garage- not on line) There I said it, you guys can go back to discussing how many times you can reuse a 6 cent crush washer, or what color of the next Kermit chair will be, or if BMW will be adding drink holders to thier next years Rt- or maybe a stuffed animal holder. Thanks for letting me vent- Im off to ride "surgio"

Arent there any old school BMW guys out there. You know the helpful mechanic/enginers/problem solvers guys that would ride 3 hours to help a ridder with a mechanical issue on his bike.

There are. There is a tech days in MI coming up. Probably not too far from you. Otherwise shoot me an email.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/663897/an/0/page/0/gonew/1#UNREAD

I think part of the griping is that this *is* a fixable problem. And if you're looking to fix it, GREAT.

There I said it, you guys can go back to discussing how many times you can reuse a 6 cent crush washer, or what color of the next Kermit chair will be, or if BMW will be adding drink holders to thier next years Rt- or maybe a stuffed animal holder.

LMAO.

Well.... I just bought my fifth BMW and I dont know how I feel about them right now. I bought this '03 R1150RS sight unseen from a dealer, "does it surge?-Nope rode it myself and its fine" I picked it up a week ago and am trying to fall in love with "Surgio" and am asking why hasnt BMW worked this problem out, Why do I have to go through all the trouble and time to troubleshoot these oilheads. I love how the bike handles and looks and fits but I am discusted with the motor. (third oilhead-all have surged a little, this one is the worst by far) It would be so bad if you can take it to the dealer and say fix it- they cant, Ive spent plenty of money going this route in the past. So I will start the process of "curing" the surging issue, but to be honest I have been asking myself why do I do this to myself- just go out and buy a Yamaha 1300. Sorry to vent- Im just disappointed and frustrated.

Ummm, you bought a used motorcycle. A brand that you know are prone to suffer from a problem that you find annoying, out of warranty, that you had never even ridden, or SEEN blush.gif, from a stranger.

...and WE'RE the one's who have to bear your slings and arrows confused.gif. I think your anger is misplaced. Your post is such a perfect example of someone who deserves scorn that I'm halfway convinced you're just trolling.

Bye now, and watch out for the wallabies.

pete

russell_bynum

I really don't know of any high-end vehicle (car or bike) that doesn't have some issues and "character".

Lexus and/or Toyota?

I said "high-end".

Um, ok, what's "high end" in your world Russell? Lexus isn't? Last I heard they were kicking German butt. Oh, and I don't think your Maybach dealer would say "sir, they ALL do that" either. tongue.gif

Lexus isn't?

For that matter, we geezers who remember the not-really-so-good old days would consider even a Civic or Corolla "high end." By any definition of quality, they're good.

Yup... I just rode Florida to Montreal in three days including most of Blue Ridge, Dragon and other long way around roads and when I arrived home last nite I was ready for MORE.. and that was on a 1200 GS..

THe bike is incredible.... RIDE ON.. clap.gif

OK. . .I'm throwing out a possible "cure" for this surging thing and it's being ignored so that BMW can be dragged through the mud some more.

I know this cam chain tensioner thing hasn't been discussed much here, so it probably hasn't been tested much by RT riders. The GS guys on the other forums are saying this is "the cure" for surging, and noisy start-ups. Has ANYONE installed the updated cam chain tensioner on their RTs? What were the results of the upgrade? Did it directly address the surging?

I'll be getting the new tensioner in the near future and will post my results ('04 RT).

Has ANYONE installed the updated cam chain tensioner on their RTs?
Several have, with mixed results, sometimes resulting in an aesthetic improvement in the form of a quieter idle (which was my result.) Frankly, if you don't have a problem with cam chain noise then I see little utility in replacing the tensioner. It would not likely contribute to surging unless it was operating very poorly... in which case you'd hear it.

A surging boxer will not be cured by a new cam chain tensioner. If any of you have surging problems, it is simple to cure. My '01 GS surged when new but I quickly corrected it before the 600 mile inspection and re-torque. If you want help, message me at def@wtez.net and I'll help.

Properly adjusted BMW boxers do NOT surge!

I completely disagree with suggestions to ignore it or ride around the surging problem. I've had many dirt bikes in my life time and currently have three street bikes Honda, Yamaha and BMW. All three bikes have different styles and different style of riding and power bands. Not one of my bikes had a operational problem. Yes, some past had shocks too soft, frames to heavy, not agile enough but the basic operation of the engine and drive train never had a problem.

While looking for a new commute/pleasure bike I tried the R1100RT and R1150RT and passed. I did not get that wow, what a great bike feeling during the test ride even with all that German engineering and technology. Then I tried the R1200RT and I did get that wow, what a great bike feeling and have been completely happy with my purchase of a new 2006 R1200RT and each of my 4000 miles put on it in less than 3 months.

As for the surging in the previous RT models “Ignore it”, “Fix it” or “Sell it” is absolutely unacceptable. You don’t pay around 20k for with bike with German engineering and ignore a basic operational problem with the engine and or drive train. BMW should step up to their renowned engineering and offer a fix for the surging problem, fix it for their customers at no charge and move on with producing great bikes like the one I purchased.

I would not buy a car nor motorcycle be it BMW, Yamaha, Honda, HD Etc. with a surging problem period, it’s not acceptable regardless of who manufactures it or what you paid for it.

russell_bynum

Um, ok, what's "high end" in your world Russell? Lexus isn't?

A Lexus is just a Toyota with leather seats. smirk.gif

Last I heard they were kicking German butt.

Well sure. They're doing a better job at providing the American Consumer with what they want. Since when does that make something "High end"?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Toyota, but you can't honestly put them in the same league as the big dogs like Porsche, BMW, Jaguar, etc, can you?

Archived