IGNORED

San Marino Blue RT

bmwdavid

How many people have purchased the San Marino Blue and what do they think of the Gray front end? Are the decals on the fairing and top of bags decals that you can feel when you rub your hands over them? I'm just not sure if I like the two tone and wish it was all blue. The only other choice seems to be the Ebony.

Yes, I own a Blue one....I have had numerous BMW's and if the front end is not grey I dont think i could own it...LOL

There's clearcoat over the decals , I dont think you will snag your pant leg when you throw your leg over the bags, and the front fairging still has a low air coefficient and low turboleance coming off the decals.

I like color contrast on my bikes, gives them depth.

I say buy the Ebony and let your brain rest.

Yep, I have one. There had been a lot of discussions about the gray parts when this color first came out, and it would have been easy enough, and not too costly to get the parts painted to match (cost me $100 to get my large top-box painted to match). However, my preference is just as BMW made it, and that thought was confirmed (for me anyway) when I saw the pictures of the bike on this forum that was painted the same color all over! I did not like that one bit!!

Thanks for the replies. I'm not saying I don't like it, just haven't seen it at the dealership yet. I found a great deal on a fully loaded 2016. Has anyone been able to negotiate the top box into the deal? If not, what has been the cost? Is there anything else that has been part of the deal that the dealer threw in?

Neogotiation is a art form , hard to do in a first meeting. allot of varibles, how many bikes on the floor, how long they been on the floor, No bikes on the floor your advantage goes to the dealer.

For sure other people will get more, they do there work, compare dealer and internet deals.

If you found a super great deal on a bike already get it, dont think your going to squeeze them for a top case, maybe 600 mile service.

Salesman like to see BEbacks, they know your interested and want to buy, there going to want to know your main objection and its always comes down to money. Go for a good fair deal,There is not tons of money in the marigins (so many think so).

Buy late on a Saturday or at the end of the month, salesman need to make their numbers and the shop wants to move a bike before the new month inventory bank check. If you go with a x-tended warrteny there are good margins in that product possible 30-50% off. I never paod retail for a extended warrenty .

Also bike set up can be taken out of the deal.

Good Luck and remeber ever deal is different, but if your not truly happy you have to be ready to walk. The salesman will try another time then is a good time to give a adjusted number on your part. Things will work out if your being reasonable.

The blue is terrible, with or without the decals...

no class, no subtlety

just my .02 worth of course

would look just right on a chivie crews from government motors built for the masses with bailout dollars

I like my blue RT. Hate the decals! They look like something the work experience kid came up with.

The grey front I'm starting to like. I've seen a couple of bikes painted all blue and it doesn't quite work for me.

I have one. I can live without the decals, but they're there, so.....

As for the gray front end, it's a Godsend. Because that matte stuff doesn't chip and pit like standard paint, and holds up well on long trips after being pelted with road debris.

Recently, I added XPEL paint protection film to the bike, including the front end, and now bug guts just wipe off and chips have no effect.

If one has the money and time, I would say painting the front end blue and then applying the film would be the best of both worlds, but without the film, the blue paint would be well beaten up after a year or two (at least if you commute where I do.)

As for the color ITSELF - I love it. It's eye catching and a welcome relief from the usual German mattes and silvers. I get nothing but compliments on it wherever I go. It would be better without the decals, but if they REALLY bother you, you can always have the tupperware resprayed. It doesn't bother me that much - with the understanding that my RT is my commuting mule, not my "pretty bike."

mam%20tour%20%285%29.jpg

-MKL

I really like the blue that TEWKS has but is no longer offered. If I have to chose one right now I would say it would have to be the Ebony. I didn't know the Blue was a $200 upcharge. The dealer has a Ebony with a msrp of $23,460 as the Blue is $23,660. I thought the $200 was an option it didn't have but maybe it is the cost of the color. May have to pursue the Ebony.

I really like the blue that TEWKS has but is no longer offered. If I have to chose one right now I would say it would have to be the Ebony. I didn't know the Blue was a $200 upcharge. The dealer has a Ebony with a msrp of $23,460 as the Blue is $23,660. I thought the $200 was an option it didn't have but maybe it is the cost of the color. May have to pursue the Ebony.

Perhaps it only applies here: I just checked the local BMW website and they clearly say the San Marino Blue has an extra €200 surcharge...

Honestly I must say I don't mind the 2016 Bronze. Surely beats the ghastly color selection for the 2016 GS-A. :rofl:

Now that's a GS-ORIZED RT if there ever was such a beast! :thumbsup:

Pat

My commuter is always overly-farkelized. I need racks to hangs things off of to test for magazine articles (lights, camera, accessories, etc.) It's not pretty, but it's functional.

-MKL

They work much better with the one year only, classic ;) Quartz Blue RT, IMO. :)

image.jpg1_zpsx5ga7pcq.jpg

Pat

not bad...

I like the black wheels

otherwise the blue 2014 was uninspired...

the wheels give it a Madd Maxx look , makes it look meaner and leaner... I like it

Moshe,

Did you apply XPEL to the painted surfaces of your side cases and top case?

Side cases, but not top case. The whole front end, and all side panels, and the gas tank. Can't even see it. Good stuff, and now my bike won't look like swiss cheese after a year, which is what the NJ Turnpike is famous for doing.

-MKL

Moshe,

Did you apply XPEL to the painted surfaces of your side cases and top case?

Side cases, but not top case.

-MKL

Now were the side case pieces precut or a sheet? Any review or write up on the process? Sounds interesting. :thumbsup:

Pat

The Rocketman

Did you trim it around the reflector or go over it? Also, does it wrap around to the inside of the bag, or does it end at the edge of the bag? There is a guy here on Long Island who is factory trained to do installations, and just trying to figure if I should juts buy it and do it myself, or let him do the bags, depending on price. Saw 30" x 1' on Fleabay for $ 22.00 but not sure that's enough. Just plan on the doing the painted section of the side cases for future boot scuffs.

The Rocketman

The XPEL Ultimate kit for my '09 RT is $380. I just called XPEL, and just the 2 luggage pieces (which is all I want) costs $61.00. I just stopped by a factory authorized shop, and he wants $70 for material and labor. Apparently these are pre-cut and model specific to take into account curves and corners, and he said he wouldn't even attempt a freehand, custom job. Wondering how hard this stuff is to install, if you don't get the pre-cut ones. Also, the luggage pieces are 8" x 16". Not sure how much of the case they'll actually cover.

P20607_zps15it1xbw.jpg

The Rocketman

Now I see that the 2015 kit is pre-cut for the reflector. Thanks!

The 2009 luggage kit I think only covers the top of the lid, and not the sides.

The Rocketman

Their site says (for the '14):

"Vehicle Design In Progress

We currently have no products available for this model. Our Design Team is aware of the need for these products and will begin the design process as soon as a vehicle can be obtained for patterning.

Please check back soon for details."

Ya know now that I see the tankslapper sight , thats where i purchased mine Xpel from. I ordered the kit for the bags in the matte finish. Much cheaper than the site I posted earlier. Sorry bout that guys

I bought mine from Tankslapper, and had it professionally installed. The pro install was $200.00 (for the "extended coverage" kit) and worth every cent. I've seen the non-pro installations, and let's just say it's not the neatest appearance.

-MKL

I also bought from Tankslapper, but just the tank kit (to protect it from the BMW tankbag), AND I had opted for the 3M Scotchguard Pro. I had been thinking about going with Xpel, but my research (web and YouTube) seem to delivered the consensus that the 3M Pro was better. IMHO, I would have been happy with either brand. Very easy to install, and nobody had mentioned it yet, but you will need a good soft silicone rubber squeegee for the installation.

From what I know about paint protection film, the application is more important than the product. I have a great pro not far from my house, and when picking between 3M and XPEL, I just asked him what HE would prefer to work with. Everything came out great.

-MKL

Moshe: Did you go with the matte or gloss? I plan on having Xpel full protection installed this summer. Not sure which would be best for my Ebony Metallic.

Moshe: Did you go with the matte or gloss? I plan on having Xpel full protection installed this summer. Not sure which would be best for my Ebony Metallic.

I'm not Moshe but I went with 3m on my Ebony RT. The film comes both gloss and matte. The gloss film is for the painted parts and the matte is for the flat silver parts.

I put the film on myself it's not perfect but not bad either, hiring a pro is a good idea but if you are handy with patients it doable.

The owner of Tankslaper is a good guy and he can help.

Jay

I went with gloss. It looks fine. If I had matte paint I'd go with matte, obviously. Another thing that's obvious (even from 10 feet away) is when a non-pro installs it. In my opinion - very much worth the money.

-MKL

That site from XPel's site helped me find a local car dealer that is certified to install Xpel. So I'll be giving them a call. $200 to have it installed right is OK by me. I "think" I could do it. But would rather have it done right so I don't have to re-do it in a couple of years because I didn't do it as well as should have been.

Now when it comes to most electrical mods, I have no issues. I can do that work myself.

Gloss Xpel it is!

Dave Stephens
I'am feeling Dmilan is one classy guy...

I know I'm late to this party but what Fastjoe said.

Now having said that, I have the San Marino blue and I'm very happy with exactly how it is.

a7LaGnv.jpg

At our age yes we can probably live without graphics, But really that is a outstanding looking motorcycle. Nice balanced contrast...Nicely noticed by all.

The ebony looks like a moving piece of asphalt, the flat black (there is some sparkle in it) fad is gone , the Bronze is so hmmm neutral , a step away from Blah, would buy if i had to.

Lucky to have a blue...a few years down the road the blue will hold up on the resale scale instead of Asphalt Ebony.

Still say striping looks like something left over from a model airplane project... and still loving that shade of blue, and that considering I've never cared for the color blue on a vehicle.

Still say striping looks like something left over from a model airplane project... and still loving that shade of blue, and that considering I've never cared for the color blue on a vehicle.

We all know the best looking color and RT ever is your Titan Silver 02 :/

Just saying

Jay

They work much better with the one year only, classic ;) Quartz Blue RT, IMO. :)

image.jpg1_zpsx5ga7pcq.jpg

Pat

OMG! Amazing, I'm bummed because '16 FJR1300ES has black rims and want the bright aluminum ones bad! Different strokes! You had them painted/powder coated? Quartz Blue is my favorite color of all time for RT or any bike--serious classiness.

OMG! Amazing, I'm bummed because '16 FJR1300ES has black rims and want the bright aluminum ones bad! Different strokes! You had them painted/powder coated? Quartz Blue is my favorite color of all time for RT or any bike--serious classiness.

Glad you like it Noel, well except for the gloss black powder coated wheels. They bang it home for me! :thumbsup:

Pat

We all know the best looking color and RT ever is your Titan Silver 02 :/

Just saying

Folks I did not pay him to say that...even though it's true :rofl:

Jay

Archived