IGNORED

Helmet: full face or other?

temesvar

Many years back I have seen a recently purchase full faced helmet by my friends wife. They had been in a accident, and the visor was like sanded by the gravel

she was sliding on for several feet face down. Thanks to the full face helmet, she still has the pretty face she was born with! Now, I understand that Harley macho ism

requires a half helmet, the smaller the better. Of course, black, that is when you show how tough you are in sunny summer days!! A beard is a must as well.

(wonder why boxers wear no beards, am sure they are macho as well!!) Am not sure if is macho enough to ride

with closed mouth...

Anyways, here is one of the reasons I would always ride with full face helmet!

nova-scotia-trip-september-2015-14226-picture47882-img-0388.jpg

Good choice, we in FL have a similar problem, it is called "Love bugs" and they taste absolutely horrible.

Down here in FL they don't need a helmet at all, but that doesn't seem to help the Love bug problem. I guess most of them don't ride during that time of the year.

Oh by the way, I know several BMW riders with full face helmets and long beards.

many years ago, got stung by a hornet which came over the shield on my R90s, and got behind my glasses on my open face helmet.

That convinced me to switch to a full face.

In 2004, I hit my first deer, and upon exiting the bike, hit face first and then rolled on the pavement.

The Shoei 1100 certainly saved my life that day as well as the other gear performing beyond expectations.

I personally couldn't imagine riding with anything else but it's a free country I s'pose. :)

RPG

In most of my MSF class times during helmet and gear selection topic, I had the students roll a single regular die - if anyone got a '1', I told them it meant they just landed on their face during a get-off - to illustrate that point. I just told them to consider their face 'too pretty' not to conserve.

My Schuberth C3 Pro really saved my head and face when I crashed earlier this year (only had a broken collarbone). Fortunately, my accessory coverage through my insurance company enabled me to buy a brand new one :)

The Rocketman

My mindset was always worst that could happen if I get whacked while wearing a full face helmet would be a broken neck. At least while I was recovering, I could eat.

With anything less than a full face, and the real possibility of having my jaw wired shut and eating through a straw, I'd probably starve to death.

Us skinny guys eat to live.

many years ago, got stung by a hornet which came over the shield on my R90s, and got behind my glasses on my open face helmet.

>>>>>>>>>

RPG

I was riding a dirt bike when I was a kid, and leaned way over, a wasp landed on my lip and let me have it. O0ooof, did it hurt, this was on a friday afternoon. the great weekend I had planned did not come to happen because I had to hide in my room. My bottom lip swelled and hung lower than ANYTHING pictured in a National Geographic. Saturday night, still not down. It was torture. I thought I was going to have to live out my days like this. Finally, by Monday morning, it was 'normal'. I will never ride without a full-face. I have an Icon right now, but I think that company is adept at marketing a mediocre item to the sportbike people. I want to get another quieter helmet with no graphic. Aria and Shoei have priced themselves out of my budget, though . . .

>>>>>>>>>

RPG

I was riding a dirt bike when I was a kid, and leaned way over, a wasp landed on my lip and let me have it. O0ooof, did it hurt, this was on a friday afternoon. the great weekend I had planned did not come to happen because I had to hide in my room. My bottom lip swelled and hung lower than ANYTHING pictured in a National Geographic. Saturday night, still not down. It was torture. I thought I was going to have to live out my days like this. Finally, by Monday morning, it was 'normal'. I will never ride without a full-face. I have an Icon right now, but I think that company is adept at marketing a mediocre item to the sportbike people. I want to get another quieter helmet with no graphic. Aria and Shoei have priced themselves out of my budget, though . . .

I've got a full face. Well, it's a flip front. The flip was down, but the visor was up. At about 25mph, a yellowjacket landed square on the right lens of my sunglasses. I watched him crawl around for a bit, and then I -c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y- removed the glasses and gave 'em a couple good healthy shakes. I wondered what the guy in the car behind me thought.

I wear a full-face helmet (Scorpion) and I have had the front visor scraped against the road after a deer strike so I'm convinced of the effectiveness of a full helmet. Regarding insects though, I have noticed that some kind of negative air flow seems to set up and sometimes an insect seems to get pulled up inside my helmet from the bottom by my chin. This issue is still WAY less often than the smashed bugs on the visor which would be hitting my face otherwise.

. I have an Icon right now, but I think that company is adept at marketing a mediocre item to the sportbike people. I want to get another quieter helmet with no graphic. Aria and Shoei have priced themselves out of my budget, though . . .

I understand this completely. I have had good luck in the past with HJC, and have been wearing Scorpion for about the last last five years. The finish on these is not as slick/high end as the brands you mention, but I think the quality is good (they hold up well, and they feel solid) and the price is more affordable.

Another option, if you have a good idea what helmet shape/brand/style fits your head, and you're patient, is to watch for closeouts on Revzilla or the other big online retailers (even Cycle Gear - LARGE selection of helmets) - particularly motorcyclegear.com (which used to be New Enough and has LOTS of clearance stuff) - and wait for what you want at a good to great price.

My wife loves the Nolan N series helmets and upgrades about every two models - but she waits until the "new" one comes out, and buys the previous gen. I think the most she's spent is about $200 for what would be a $450 or so helmet.

In spite of my ruggedly handsome looks and awe-inspiring body (gag), I'll never make a living from them - I need my brain intact, so it's always full-face for me.

I've always thought virtually anything is better than nothing, so any of the name brands in any price range are fine - just make sure it fits correctly and comfortably. I've been happy with a couple of HJCs and the Shoei I'm in now. My wife likes modular, and while it's not quite full face, the chin bar falls in the "better than nothing" category. She's been hit in the face shield by a stone that left enough of a mark the shield had to be replaced, but without that she would have needed some serious dental work. I know a guy in a no-helmet-law state who was fully compliant with the law and did a face plant on the highway - serious, serious damage.

Pete

I resisted using full face helmets until the late 80s. I had a handful of excuses, but mostly, I was stuck on the image of those early Bell Stars that were popular among road and dirt track racers in the 60s. The ones with the small eye port that looked like it compromised peripheral vision. On the MX track, I wore a Bell Magnum with a Jofa face guard. For many years after I quit racing, I used a Magnum sans face guard.

When I finally decided to try a full face, I found that all my excuses were BS. No problems with peripheral vision, the chin didn't hit my shoulder when I turned my head, and it wasn't as heavy as they look. Since then, my only compromise is using a flip type full face. (never with the face up when riding)

1967 Bell Star:

i-zdz9jSV.jpg

I was walking down a street in Jerome Arizona one time and stopped at a small police sub-station to look a helmet they had on display in the window. It was one of those novelty helmets that are so popular with the HD crowd. About 1/4 of it was scraped away around the jaw area. If this rider survived, his face, mouth, and jaw were ruined beyond repair.

I read once that if your helmet is not DOT approved in a state where it is required, then your insurance may refuse to pay.

Johnny J

I wear a modular, used to have a full face. I like the modulars better. I've ridden without a helmet a couple times. It doesn't feel right. Noisier, stuff hits my face (bugs etc), and the sense of speed is higher.

I wear a modular, used to have a full face. I like the modulars better. I've ridden without a helmet a couple times. It doesn't feel right. Noisier, stuff hits my face (bugs etc), and the sense of speed is higher.

Agree...not unlike riding in a vehicle without a seat belt...just doesn't feel right.

I guess I'm chiming in kind of late on this.

A few years ago I had an accident which almost killed me. I went off the road at triple digits and launched off an asphalt curb. The impact of the launch was so severe that the side cases were sheared off the bike at liftoff. Bike and I flew 100 feet, and the bike continued another 500, crashed in to a rock and burned up. I spent three days in the ER. Thank god I was on a country road and there was nobody else to hit.

I can say unequivocally, if I had been wearing any less than a full face helmet, I would be dead. There were deep grind marks on the visor, and the upper and lower portions of the helmet surrounding the visor. I took a direct hit face first to the pavement at one point. The helmet saved me. No head injuries whatsoever. There is no way in hell I would have lived if I had been wearing an open face helmet. I would have lost my face. Literally.

I didn't break any bones or organs, but they did pull a clutch lever out of my side and I had what they called "massive blunt force trauma" to the body despite full gear (or nearly so, thick jeans aren't as good as leathers.)

Needless to say, the next helmet I got was the same identical make and model. Yes I got back on the horse. A new one that is.

A few years ago I had an accident which almost killed me. I went off the road at triple digits and launched off an asphalt curb. The impact of the launch was so severe that the side cases were sheared off the bike at liftoff. Bike and I flew 100 feet, and the bike continued another 500, crashed in to a rock and burned up. I spent three days in the ER. Thank god I was on a country road and there was nobody else to hit.

I can say unequivocally, if I had been wearing any less than a full face helmet, I would be dead. There were deep grind marks on the visor, and the upper and lower portions of the helmet surrounding the visor. I took a direct hit face first to the pavement at one point. The helmet saved me. No head injuries whatsoever. There is no way in hell I would have lived if I had been wearing an open face helmet. I would have lost my face. Literally.

I didn't break any bones or organs, but they did pull a clutch lever out of my side and I had what they called "massive blunt force trauma" to the body despite full gear (or nearly so, thick jeans aren't as good as leathers.)

Needless to say, the next helmet I got was the same identical make and model. Yes I got back on the horse. A new one that is.

Any pic of the helmet?

Thanks.

I need a new helmet. My current one is a Scorpion Exo modular.

I read that it's DOT only and not SNELL and that SNELL doesn't certify any modular helmets.

Still on the fence if to get another modular or a full face.

Any pic of the helmet?

Thanks.

No, I should have taken some. I discarded it some time ago.

I'm like Ponch. I started riding with a 3/4 quarter helmet, went to a full face, then went to a modular. I got hit in February. Broke some ribs, totaled my bike. My helmet, a Schubert C3, kept me from getting any injuries to my head. Full face as a minimum.

I need a new helmet. My current one is a Scorpion Exo modular.

I read that it's DOT only and not SNELL and that SNELL doesn't certify any modular helmets.

Still on the fence if to get another modular or a full face.

There used to be quite some discussion about SNELL testing methodology compared to DOT.

Not everyone was on board.

SHARP is an excellent source for information.

One more thing about helmets, that seams to be overlooked!

Now, there is the law to buckle up if driving or passenger.

If not, a officer will fine you, will get some points and

even affect your insurance rates. I have never heard a officer

to fine someone for not having the helmet strapped or even have a

strap for the helmet!!(believe it or not, some riders don't!)

Going back many years, a friend of mine's son was out for a last

ride with the bike that he just sold!Had the helmet on, not strapped,

was just a short ride. The helmet was on just so the cops will not pull

him over, is the law, right?(at least in some places!!)On the way back, got into

a slow speed accident. Flew over the car, and so did the helmet. The boy had

only a broken rib! But hit the curb with the back of his head, and was brain dead!

Was only 19...

Just something to think about!

• 2 weeks later...
There used to be quite some discussion about SNELL testing methodology compared to DOT.

Not everyone was on board.

SHARP is an excellent source for information.

+1

SHARP ratings are amazing. They'll help you find the helmets that actually protect your head - without draining your wallet. (Sad how many people still go with the old, erroneous, adage "If it costs more, it must be better".)

Of course, you have to have one that fits well or you won't wear it. I recently bought a Shoei Qwest, their cheapest, but a 5 star safety rating. I tried on every helmet in 4 counties over nearly a year to find a good fit. Apparently I have a Shoei head, this is my 3rd in a row though I found the Suomi Vandal was very good and Arai & HJC were close contenders as well. Arai lost on cost, HJC on the optics of the visor.

Bees, hornets, June bugs vs. helmets.

Have full face but love to ride with visor up for the air flow. In two seasons been stung six times on face ( and in case you are wondering, it is not as fun as it sounds ).

Think I found a solution that doesn't involve hermetically sealing my head in a Tupperware bowl.

Just bought an HJC with an internal drop down visor. Still get that open air feeling but it does cover most of my attractive ( to stinging insects ) face. Of course with my luck, I'll probably just succeed with trapping the little buggers behind the shield. But for now it seems to be working . On another note, my new helmet is a modular model with a single release lever. Previous helmet was a Nolan that had a very secure two lever release . My concern is that in an accident the single release could get bumped into releasing the chin guard. Anyone have any experience with that, or any thoughts ?

Bees, hornets, June bugs vs. helmets.

Have full face but love to ride with visor up for the air flow. In two seasons been stung six times on face ( and in case you are wondering, it is not as fun as it sounds ).

Think I found a solution that doesn't involve hermetically sealing my head in a Tupperware bowl.

Just bought an HJC with an internal drop down visor. Still get that open air feeling but it does cover most of my attractive ( to stinging insects ) face. Of course with my luck, I'll probably just succeed with trapping the little buggers behind the shield. But for now it seems to be working . On another note, my new helmet is a modular model with a single release lever. Previous helmet was a Nolan that had a very secure two lever release . My concern is that in an accident the single release could get bumped into releasing the chin guard. Anyone have any experience with that, or any thoughts ?

All I can say is that the chin guard on my full face took a very hard hit.

When checking out helmets I learned that a significant percentage of injuries were in the chin area. This confirmed getting a full face for me.

One and only time the helmet skidded on pavement with my face in it the single chin release did NOT release. My face appreciated it so much I replaced it with the same brand and model. It is a BILT modular. Internal sunshade, quick release clear face shield. Absolutely no buffet at any speed or windshield height.

On two occasions I have had to stop and scrape large insect guts from the shield. I ride with it closed all the time.

It's been a no-brainer (pun intended -- that's what happens when you don't wear a helmet!) since my paramedic days back in the '70s. We took a rider to hospital who'd broadsided a car, flown clear over the roof and landed on his face wearing a 3/4 helmet. It was a face-off!

Made a believer out of me.

When checking out helmets I learned that a significant percentage of injuries were in the chin area. This confirmed getting a full face for me.

+1

More protection is better. Only full face for me and my passenger.

I recently had a major wreck with an inattentive teenager. My helmet, jacket, knee pads, boots, and gloves all took a beating. I was left with broken hips (4 places) and other damage not as serious. Did my gear work? Oh yes it worked. My head especially was OK even though I was unconscious. The helmet was trashed during the accident but the marks on it were deep and nasty and my head was unmarked. I am into November now after an April accident and still hurting at my hips and ankle. I have bought more protective gear for my legs (Bohn pants) and I wear it.

Since getting back into motorcycling 20 years ago, it's been a modular or full face helmet. I didn't even consider a 3/4. In 2013 it proved to be a good decision. I was sideswiped by a newly licensed 19 year old girl at about 45 mpg. I was pushed to the left into an island curb and then slammed down on my left side. I woke up to EMTs asking me who the president is and what day of the week. The Roadcrafter did it's job though it ruined the jacket. I had one small stawberry on my wrist where my sleeve got pushed up . I also had soft tissue damage to my left shoulder and hip. Without the hardshell padding, who knows?

Here's my RF1100. I replaced it with the exact same helmet. Love the fit, the ventilation, the quiet and protection.

IMG_2428_zps903b86da.jpg

IMG_2430_zps5dd93102.jpg

IMG_2429_zps427d926e.jpg

• 2 months later...

Shield is good for bugs and flying things while you ride, but not so good for protecting your face from the ground when you land on it.

In 1971 I was hit and run over by a truck.

Heavy jeans/jacket/boots/gloves, 3/4 helmet w/visor.

Truck literally ran over me leaving a tire track across my back and catapulted me over 100 feet thru the sir.

Each situation is different, but the helmet survived as did the visor.

My head and face were fortunate.

Today I wear full/modular.

YMMV

• 3 months later...
57Pontiac

Years ago I handled insurance claims for a living. One claim involved a husband and wife on a motorcycle that had the misfortune of having a sleeping bag roll and become lodged between the fender and tire. Instant lockup, and down they went at 60mph. She was a pretty woman, and still is. However, the pavement almost completely shaved off the chin guard of her full face helmet. Made a believer out of me. I choose a full face helmet and always will.

Years ago I handled insurance claims for a living. One claim involved a husband and wife on a motorcycle that had the misfortune of having a sleeping bag roll and become lodged between the fender and tire. Instant lockup, and down they went at 60mph. She was a pretty woman, and still is. However, the pavement almost completely shaved off the chin guard of her full face helmet. Made a believer out of me. I choose a full face helmet and always will.
I had a sleeping bag do that to me on the first real motorcycle I had. They are hard to tie on and I learned to put them in something. Fortunately, I wasn't going very fast when it happened and the motorcycle didn't fall. But it was a wake up call on securing stuff.

as a two time deer crash survivor (hi my name is RPG and I hit deer), I would have been killed both times if it weren't for the full face Shoei I was sportin'.

1st accident. Idaho 2004. Hit the 10 point buck in the left shoulder and proceeded to dismount the bike and impacted on the helmet chin area. Slid for about 50 yards and suffered no lasting injuries, except a few raspberries. The helmet looked like it was run through a grinder. :)

2nd accident. northern Michigan 2009. Don't even remember seeing the big doe that came out of nowhere. Laying knocked out on the side of the road for about 20 min. before a guy walking his dog came by. Level 3 concussion (bleeding on the brain) and back contusions but no other injuries. A week stay in the hospital for observation and I was good to go. The helmet was mostly intact except for some cracks and scuffing about the facial area.

Those two incidents coupled with the countless times I've had bugs slam into it at 70+, continue to reinforce the necessity and pleasure of wearing full face protection.

As the saying goes, "if you have a $50 head, get a $50 helmet".

RPG

DJ_Fission
Good choice, we in FL have a similar problem, it is called "Love bugs" and they taste absolutely horrible.

Down here in FL they don't need a helmet at all, but that doesn't seem to help the Love bug problem. I guess most of them don't ride during that time of the year.

Oh by the way, I know several BMW riders with full face helmets and long beards.

When I lived in Jacksonville, I never tasted a love bug...always had my full-face helmet on. Had plenty of them splattered all over myself and the bike, though.

Archived