IGNORED

Auto-Windshield

moshe_levy

All-

I have started delving into the manual, which describes the windshield's automatic lowering into the flush position each time you shut the bike down. No mention of disabling this feature, which is rather pointless (other than accelerating wear and tear on the w/s motor and thus enriching BMW). Any ideas, or is this just the way it is?

-MKL

Not so much an issue, I'd just rather disable it if indeed that's an option. I didn't see any mention of such an option in the manual though.....

-MKL

No option to disable. I don't believe it is dealer programable, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

On the K16 it is a good feature, because it lowers the cross-bar of the windshield support over the GPS removal slot, preventing GPS theft. I suspect it was carried over (without any thought being given to its lack of purpose on the RT) when the K16's software and electronics were wholesale copied as the basis for the RTW's electronics suite.

Yep

It's a real pain is the a$$ when you are washing the bike and try to get in there for cleaning.

Turn the key on!

Yep

It's a real pain is the a$$ when you are washing the bike and try to get in there for cleaning.

Turn the key on!

you should run for president :thumbsup:

Yep

Turn the key on!

Dooo...

Well, I would have never thought of that.

Maybe some of us don't like to have the ignition on while washing the bike.

I know I don't.

Well, you don't have to have the water hose directed on it to wash it. I wash the bike, then turn on the key, push the button to raise the screen, and spray some cleaner behind the windscreen and fairing. Wipe that down good and turn off key. Then finish drying the rest of the bike.

• 1 month later...

Hey Terry:

I notice the Quiet Ride windshield on your posts. I went to the site and it sounds good, I would like a quieter windscreen on the highway. My question is why hasn't BMW provided us with the best windscreen? Surely they must have tested our OEM screen for hundreds if not thousands of hours in wind tunnels and on the road to get the right one. You think? Or is it the OEM screen is the best compromise screen, and at speeds in excess of say 100+mph the OEM screen is stable and out performs other configurations. So at regular highway speeds say 60-80mph the Quiet Ride is quieter and protects better? Ideas on this

Jeff

I'm in process of testing Terry's shield, but.....

"My question is why hasn't BMW provided us with the best windscreen?"

Since when do OEMs provide the best of anything? They are constrained by cost, availability, supply chain, and a zillion other factors. It's ALWAYS more of a compromise than an aftermarket company which does a few things as its core competency and has nowhere near the level of tradeoffs.

Now, for background, I've never been *unhappy* with BMW's stock shields, but aftermarket has always been a step up in functionality. My 2004 RT, especially, benefitted from an Aeroflow. I'll have a report on Terry's shield after I rack up some mileage on it.

So far (vs stock) the material is noticeably thicker (I haven't taken a caliper to it yet to measure vs. stock, but it's an obvious difference) and it has less of a concave shape, so its optical clarity is superior in the raised position (especially for a short guy like me.) Performance-wise I will elaborate when I have enough experience to comment meaningfully.

-MKL

Hey Terry:

I notice the Quiet Ride windshield on your posts. I went to the site and it sounds good, I would like a quieter windscreen on the highway. My question is why hasn't BMW provided us with the best windscreen? Surely they must have tested our OEM screen for hundreds if not thousands of hours in wind tunnels and on the road to get the right one. You think? Or is it the OEM screen is the best compromise screen, and at speeds in excess of say 100+mph the OEM screen is stable and out performs other configurations. So at regular highway speeds say 60-80mph the Quiet Ride is quieter and protects better? Ideas on this

Jeff

Well, where to start? In the showroom the stock windscreen looks really good on the bike. Its shape flows back from the fairing nicely and the way the top is formed looks racy sitting still. I would assume the progressive curve of the stock shield, in the down position, would be useful for doing fuel mileage and top speed tests as it would have low drag. For a stock windshield it is better than the stock screen on my

'04 RT for instance.

The problems start when you raise the windshield. Especially past halfway. The outer ears that looked so sleek sitting still become tabs sticking up past your line of sight. These become little more than paddles stirring the air and creating turbulence. This is why NONE of the aftermarket windshields have a design similar to the stock windshield! No matter what you read, a quiet, low turbulence air pocket for the rider to sit in requires pushing the air away from the helmet and upper body area. The further away, the more quiet and calm. Sounds easy, but you can get into backpressure issues with too much area. This is why I think stock screens tend to be on the conservative side.

What works at 55 mph may not work at 80 mph. That is why I lost interest quickly in the windshields that promote a "vortex" of air being directed away from the helmet ( this is the same company that builds the stock Wethead windshield). To complicate the design, most owners prefer to look over the windscreen instead of through it. So it comes down to the OEM looking for something that does the job, but is castrated by design and performance requirements from other departments.

You must work with each bike to find what it wants. If I had wanted and R 1200 R with little to no real windshield I would expect wind noise and blast. But I consider an RT a touring bike and a pocket of calm, quiet air is most welcome on long rides! Add to that wanting to get the screen well down below my line of sight while still performing well took a LOT of time. Why have an adjustable windshield if none of the settings are really comfortable?

After riding with the quiet ride windshield for 1000 miles so far I can say in my opinion that's it's better than the others I've tried and I think I've tried them all!! Is it perfect? No but for the most part you can keep it below line of sight (5'10" 32" inseam) and it does a good job. Truck traffic on interstate is weird just like any other windshield I've ever had. Tailwind and its exceptionally quiet crosswind is ok no real buffeting. Is that a word? Overall it's a keeper as long as the finish holds up. All I use is water cloth diaper and the. Furniture polish

Thanks guys for your input. Terry, thanks for taking the timing to explain. So, I'm 5'10" with the low seat, should I get the 24" or 26" windshield? Like most everybody I like looking over the screen provided it's not raining.

Jeff

Absolutely go with the 24"! I sit taller with my Russell seat, and probably have a taller torso than you. I have ridden with both screens, and while the taller 26" might, just might, be ever so little bit better while cruising at 70 mph I prefer the shorter shield. I like a bit of wind on my visor area at times, especially to clear rain. You will be able to lower the shorter screen to do this, the taller one might not go low enough.

200 miles on Terry's screen yesterday, and so far results are stellar. Besides being eerily quiet at highway speed, the shield itself is in quite a low position to achieve the same level of wind / noise / buffeting protection as stock - and because the Terry shield's top slopes DOWN away from the rider instead of up toward him like stock, the field of vision unobstructed by the optical distortion of looking through a shield is dramatically increased. I'm impressed so far! I must say I wasn't complaining with the stock screen, but this is a definite improvement - one of those items you don't know you'd like to upgrade until you actually try a better alternative.

Looking forward to taking it out into the stormy rain tomorrow for more testing.

-MKL

24" - I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam on the "low" factory seat.

Terry is correct - this shield doesn't have to go nearly as "high" to offer equivalent protection to stock. Raise it some more, though, and the improvement from stock begins re buffeting / wind / noise reduction, though the line of sight is always more open. This shield is more than adequate for me. I would not order a bigger size given my experience thus far. Got some rain riding in and going out for more soon. So far, very happy.

-MKL

I installed my Quiet Ride windshield today, and I rode about 200 miles with it. I am amazed at its effectiveness. I did not have any problems with the stock screen; I just didn't like the looks of it (I'm old, and i can make decisions like that!). However I found the Quiet Ride screen to be much quieter - particularly at 70mph and above - and the airflow is consistent and stable. It is easy to adjust the airflow by raising and lowering the screen.

My '14 RT has the audio system and I use a Schuberth C3 Pro with the BMW Communication System. Using the bluetooth connection to speakers in the helmet, the volume setting is about half what it was with the stock screen.

I had a VStream screen on my '08 RT, and it was nowhere near as effective as the Quiet Ride screen on the '14 RT.

Boy boy....you guys crack me up! If you spent more time riding and less time bitchching about everything I think that perhaps life would be better for you! GT

Hey Terry:

Jeff

Well, where to start? In the showroom the stock windscreen looks really good on the bike. Its shape flows back from the fairing nicely and the way the top is formed looks racy sitting still. I would assume the progressive curve of the stock shield, in the down position, would be useful for doing fuel mileage and top speed tests as it would have low drag. For a stock windshield it is better than the stock screen on my

'04 RT for instance.

The problems start when you raise the windshield. Especially past halfway. The outer ears that looked so sleek sitting still become tabs sticking up past your line of sight. These become little more than paddles stirring the air and creating turbulence. This is why NONE of the aftermarket windshields have a design similar to the stock windshield! No matter what you read, a quiet, low turbulence air pocket for the rider to sit in requires pushing the air away from the helmet and upper body area. The further away, the more quiet and calm. Sounds easy, but you can get into backpressure issues with too much area. This is why I think stock screens tend to be on the conservative side.

What works at 55 mph may not work at 80 mph. That is why I lost interest quickly in the windshields that promote a "vortex" of air being directed away from the helmet ( this is the same company that builds the stock Wethead windshield). To complicate the design, most owners prefer to look over the windscreen instead of through it. So it comes down to the OEM looking for something that does the job, but is castrated by design and performance requirements from other departments.

You must work with each bike to find what it wants. If I had wanted and R 1200 R with little to no real windshield I would expect wind noise and blast. But I consider an RT a touring bike and a pocket of calm, quiet air is most welcome on long rides! Add to that wanting to get the screen well down below my line of sight while still performing well took a LOT of time. Why have an adjustable windshield if none of the settings are really comfortable?

I'm thinking of trying the Quiet ride shield. I'm 5'10" Terry and I would be fine with the stock shield but am interested in making the wife more comfortable. For me would the 26" be the better way to go? I keep my Sargent seat in the high position and dont want the top of the windshield to be right in my line of sight but just below it is OK.

Boy boy....you guys crack me up! If you spent more time riding and less time bitchching about everything I think that perhaps life would be better for you! GT

When you live my life GT then you can tell me how to make it better!!

Perhaps you should read the forum and keep your attitude and opinion about others to yourself!!

I'm thinking of trying the Quiet ride shield. I'm 5'10" Terry and I would be fine with the stock shield but am interested in making the wife more comfortable. For me would the 26" be the better way to go? I keep my Sargent seat in the high position and dont want the top of the windshield to be right in my line of sight but just below it is OK.

PM sent. I am embarrassed to say I have not tested with a passenger! I know it is important to many, I know the stock shield was horrible for my wife. She MUCH preferred riding on the V Strom over the RT. The V Stream I had was better,but only when raised up so tall I had to look through it. There are two owners that bought the shield from me with passenger comfort a main concern. I will let them chime in on that if they will.

At any rate I would recommend the 24". I run the Russell seat on the high setting on trips, low setting for everyday use and find the 24" plenty tall.

Ok I'll get in here. We rode about 1000 miles over the Labor Day weekend and not once did she tell me to raise the shield. Not that she does to often but there has been times over our 40000+ miles on RT's that she has wanted the windshield raised to keep her from being a bobble head..... Like I've said in other posts it's not perfect but I've tried all the rest and think this will be the one I use!

Terry

Is there any foreseeable room for improvement on pre 2014 RT's?

Dave

Well, we have already pretty much hacked this post past survival! So, I will say that there is a chance for a pre-2014 as long as these seem to make the work worthwhile. It does look like they may not take much to make it work.

Ok I'll get in here. We rode about 1000 miles over the Labor Day weekend and not once did she tell me to raise the shield. Not that she does to often but there has been times over our 40000+ miles on RT's that she has wanted the windshield raised to keep her from being a bobble head..... Like I've said in other posts it's not perfect but I've tried all the rest and think this will be the one I use!

Could you please tell us how tall each of you are?

Thanks

OK, thanks Terry and MKL. I'll get the 24" screen. MKL, I'm the original owner of a 1973 1/2 R75/5, put 220,000 on it and I'm currently putting it back to stock, Avus Blue and all.

I received and installed Terry's windshield today - the 24". The difference, for me, between oem and Terry's is night and day. Much better wind management and definitely more quiet-less buffeting. I found myself riding faster on the local roads I'm on all the time because of the quietness. The shield was also in a much lower position which was very nice. Drop it a bit more and you get nice even airflow.

All in all, a very good and worthwhile addition to my bike. Really makes a difference. It's also a quality made shield.

All-

I have started delving into the manual, which describes the windshield's automatic lowering into the flush position each time you shut the bike down. No mention of disabling this feature, which is rather pointless (other than accelerating wear and tear on the w/s motor and thus enriching BMW). Any ideas, or is this just the way it is?

-MKL

Quick question, as I don't have this model: does the windshield go back to the position you set it to when you turn it back on? Or do you have to reset it manually every time you ride?

All-

-MKL

Quick question, as I don't have this model: does the windshield go back to the position you set it to when you turn it back on? Or do you have to reset it manually every time you ride?

Yes the shield goes back to the previously set position
I received and installed Terry's windshield today - the 24". The difference, for me, between oem and Terry's is night and day. Much better wind management and definitely more quiet-less buffeting. I found myself riding faster on the local roads I'm on all the time because of the quietness. The shield was also in a much lower position which was very nice. Drop it a bit more and you get nice even airflow.

All in all, a very good and worthwhile addition to my bike. Really makes a difference. It's also a quality made shield.

This is true. I just finished a rather rave review for BMW Owner's News on it. I came in quite skeptical, and came away quite impressed. The Werks has my seal of approval!

-MKL

Are the windshield support brackets any more robust on the RTW's?

They are a lot more substantial. I have not heard of any failures. If the 28 1/2" tall V Stream I had didn't hurt them I think BMW has fixed that issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Terry,

I mounted some GS mirror clamps so I could have mirrors up in my line of sight, vs having to use the stock mirrors below the grips. I also have Illium Risers, which pull the grips up and back about an inch or so. Do you know if your 24" shield will clear the mirror stalks? I realize this is a difficult question to answer, but perhaps someone has done this and knows.

Thanks!

That is hard to answer! Too many variables to go with. Especially since the RT doesn't have any bar mounted mirrors stock, I don't have a reference point to go with. The only likely problem if there is one, would be when the bars are turned either way to the stops. That is why GS windshields and other ADV bikes have such narrow windshields.

Terry,

I mounted some GS mirror clamps so I could have mirrors up in my line of sight, vs having to use the stock mirrors below the grips. I also have Illium Risers, which pull the grips up and back about an inch or so. Do you know if your 24" shield will clear the mirror stalks? I realize this is a difficult question to answer, but perhaps someone has done this and knows.

Thanks!

I can CONFIRM that the shield not only clears the stalks, but actually has MORE room than stock. I have the Wunderlich GS clamps and Wunderlich mirrors, as well as Illium risers all on my bike with the 24" Werks shield - NO problem, at all.

-MKL

Archived