IGNORED

Auto-Windshield

moshe_levy

It's pretty late here so I'm not going to take pro quality shots, but here's some quickies with the Iphone. Here is the bike on its centerstand with the handlebar at full right turn (on the stop) and the shield is all the way down (bike is off). I've adjusted it (as you can see) so that there's about 2 fingers clearance at this point, and obviously much more when the shield is in position under motion. You have much more clearance if you wish - this really isn't an issue, at all.

photo%201_zpsguc84uxa.jpg

Wunderlich GS clamp

photo%202_zpsejotmdk2.jpg

Overall (excuse the mess, but it's almost 10pm here and I've had a long day.)

photo%203_zpsulb9gi8j.jpg

Nothing to worry about here re mirrors or Illium risers - zero clearance issues. Not even close.

-MKL

PS - Anyone else concerned that this whole thread is basically re Werks shield but the original post was about the auto-windshield? Future members may have trouble finding this info as a result.

• 2 weeks later...
Boy boy....you guys crack me up! If you spent more time riding and less time bitchching about everything I think that perhaps life would be better for you! GT

Why are you so angry? I'm glad you are happy with your bike being stock but some of us prefer things a little different. We can't be out riding all the time so we do spend some time here, to learn and hopefully help someone.

BTW why are you on here, if your bike is perfect go riding.

• 2 weeks later...

Terry, I received your Quiet Ride wind screen about 3 weeks ago and have ridden about 250 miles. The 24"screen is a big improvement over stock. Even with some pretty serious fall wind we commonly get up here in the north country, the screen channels the air over my head with little turbulence in the helmet area, much improved over the stock screen. The screen is only raised about an inch. The Quiet ride is a keeper, and the best news is that I only had to buy one screen thanks to the input from those on the forum. With my F800ST I bought 5 wind screens, and was not very happy with any of them except the Parabellum, but even that one was not great.

One other thing, there appears to be no decrease in fuel economy with the Quiet Ride. Was getting 62mpg from Labor Day to early October about 1000 miles, since then with the new screen the mileage has been 61.8-63.5mpg that's of course if I believe the bike's fuel economy computer.

Thanks for the nice review! While fuel mileage was never my main concern, I can tell you that the V Stream I had on the bike before got 3-4 mpg less at high speed cruise. I suspect having the Quiet Ride lower than other shields is part of that.

You're welcome, Terry, when I put more miles on next spring I'll update you on the screens performance. One thing, I won't be needing the ear plugs anymore. I think the slightly wider profile with the flared top makes all the difference. My wife's Burgman 400 scooter has a small screen but a flared top, and that makes all the difference for a more quiet ride.

Fuel economy will be interesting as this year I noticed an increase from the upper 50s to low 60s, as the bike got over 6,000 miles. Now there's a little over 11,000 miles on it. Last two trips (Black Hill and Ontario) with the OEM screen we got 56-57mpg fully loaded and two up. So we'll see how the new screen compares, to be sure it will be much quieter.

On another note, I have a brother at ATM College Station and a good friend in Spring Texas who has a 2011 RT, we were Beamer buddies back in the 1970s I had (and still have) a R75/5 and he had the R75/6. Will the Quiet Ride be available for my friend's 2011 RT?

Jeff

There seems to be interest in the Cam and Hexheads. Maybe I could rent one to do some develolpment work with. I think the top half could be about the same, but the lower part would have to be redesigned. So the answer is "hopefully".

Got the Werks shield and love it.

Now on the auto shield thread- my shield stayed up when OFF and I liked it that way, but when I needed tires the dealer said that they had a service bulletin (I think) and reflashed so that the windshield now goes down when off and up to last position. I can live with that--BUT---I've noticed that the shield doesn't seem to raise as high as it did before the "flash", anyone notice this?

And, I was just cleaning the shield and noticed that there is fore/aft play (like maybe a 1/4") when stopped in any position except full down (when sitting on stop)- I see that there are springs on both sides that keep tension on the arms when moving, but there is not enough tension when they are stationary. I did not notice this before the "flash"--again--anyone have this condition?

TIA,

Steve

Steve....no none of that on mine after flash...still works as always has...key off. Windshield down. Key on, ride a few paces, windshield up....no slop or shorter height.

I will post that when the PDF version of ON comes out. I got my print copy yesterday but the MOA website still shows the old ON PDF, not the new one.

-MKL

Archived