IGNORED

Thinking of Another RT......

moshe_levy

Hello All-

I am a longtime BMW rider and have owned two RTs - a 2004 and a 2009. Last year I sold my 2009 and bought a Harley, and I've come to regret it. So, I've started shopping for a Wethead RT.

I wanted to ask those with experience the usual newbie questions:

1) What are the first changes you made to your Wethead?

2) Preferred vendors for aftermarket accessories?

3) Complaints about the Wethead I should know about?

There are some great deals out there on demo models. Some with less than 1,000 miles, titled as new, for $3-3.5k off new price. I probably won't be able to resist for much longer, so let me know your thoughts. I love to farkle and, right off the bat, I'm going to need that big topcase.

-MKL

I forgot to ask... Any exhaust options out there except for the BMW Akrapovic? I don't need anything loud - on my 2009 one of my favorite accessories was my legal Z-tech exhaust. Nice, throaty sound which was legal-level DB but just more pleasant to listen to.

-MKL

No first hand experience with the RT system but, Remus seems to make a great product. Seen and heard them on the K bikes, different animal but well built and sweet sounding.

http://www.remususa.com/epages/remus.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/remus/Products/R1200RT_'14_HexaCone/SubProducts/R1200RT_'14_HexaCone

May need to cut & paste ^ :S

BMWST classified has an RT in CT right now for a pretty good price. ;)

Pat

my 14 is now approaching 10,000 miles. Other than the recall shock issue...the bike has been perfect. Burns zero oil. the seat was a 200 mile seat for me so went Russell...whats new its a bmw. Some have seen small amounts of water escape but I haven't. Love the wet clutch, hill control, and the bike has nearly every accessory known to man in feature function.

I have added an extended front fender, a big side foot, and hyperlites. Wunderlich makes some engine guards.

You might read a recent article from Cycle World after riding it for a year.

I honestly can't think of anything I would ask BMW to do differently..

First three for me:

MachineArt Moto no-drill front fender extender:

IMG_0985_zpsz6brysla.jpg

Engine (and saddlebag) protection -- in my case, Ilium Works for the engine (no removal or loosening of the guard to remove the valve covers, and good places for mounting lights, etc.) and Wunderlich for the bags (only game in town):

IMG_0984_zpsxeyy81xe.jpg

We are relatively close in size (5'7", 29" inseam). I found the handlebars too far down and away. Ilium Works barbacks help:

IMG_0981_zpsltdwvhkp.jpg

IMG_0983_zpsjn29f75e.jpg

Oh, and just remembered: Rear saddlebag reflective sheets from our own EffBee, www.motoreflective.com

HTH!

Very nice. I see you have your Clearwaters mounted with amber covers. I will be doing something similar if I pull the trigger. All that other stuff I had on my 2009 and would need again here. Keep it coming.

-MKL

Another tidbit:

If you want to mount anything with a RAM ball on the handlebars (in my case, a SPOT tracker holder), you can replace the grip cluster clamp on either side with the one from the R1200GSW that holds the GS's mirrors (32 72 8 532 971 PIPE CLAMP), and thread a RAM 10-1.5 ball into the threaded boss. Let me know if you want a pic -- too close to bed time to get one tonight ;)

Glamor shot. :grin:

Have the R&G Racing head protectors, powder coated the wheels & yeah, I stole the front graphics off of Mark's bike. :grin: Top-case is expensive but works with the central locking button. Mine is a shade too dark but it doesn't show in the sun light.

image.jpg1_zpsx5ga7pcq.jpg

Pat

I've noticed there are a few reissued "buy back" bikes offered by dealers at significant discounts. I am guessing here that these had the original shock problem, were retrofitted by the factory or dealer with the proper parts, and then put out for sale again. Any reason not to consider one? Any differences between 2014 and 2015 models?

-MKL

Any reason not to consider one? Any differences between 2014 and 2015 models?

From a technical perspective, no reason to not consider one -- the only thing done in the "fix" was swapping out the rear shock. No significant changes between the years, other than whatever silent tweaks BMW has made (e.g., better water pump seals?).

The big question to me is whether the savings are enough to overcome the depreciation -- the '14's are a month away from being two years old.

Moshe, check the classified section here. Might be one there you would be interested in!

I have over 10K on mine and it has not had any issues. Zero oil use, no coolant seep, nothing that I can think of. I thought I might want a GS, but with the RT's bluetooth capability, great sound system, and all around comfort I am more happy with it than I expected to be. Zero buyers remorse! That is hard to do in this day and age.

I wouldn't hesitate to own a bike with the shock recall/buyback history. They are all used once you get home with them. While the seat is better than other RT's, it is still a BMW seat. I will say it has the lowest feeling seat height of all the RT's I have seen. Windshield isn't bad, but I couldn't resist doing more with that.

Stay tuned for more on windshield development! ;)

Keyless ignition and keyless gas cap on the 15's. (not sure if it was an option or they all have it)

Pat

Good info. Yes, I have checked the classifieds here and am in contact. I know I will be much happier back aboard an RT! Should have never sold my last one.

-MKL

Moshe... good to see you over here again... and you are on the right path now.

I think my Wet head is exceptionally competent in virtually every category... except a few design issues (details if you want them).

My first addition was to install the Suburban Machinery peg lowering blocks that I removed from my '05 RT... they still fit.

After that, the Wunderlich Engine Bars...

The electronics package can be overwhelming but I recommend taking it slow, and I also recommend something pretty radical... RTFM... in detail. There are some things I took for granted that, as it turns out... just are not so.

Good advice. I've had Stebels on all my RTs. I had TWO of them on my 2004. So yes I will be replacing the horn as usual. A requirement for commuting in NJ.

-MKL

uuuh, I forgot the horn.

meep, meep.. it is so puny and ineffective it is embarrassing. I have come to prefer the interdigital signal.

Wonder if the '05RT's dual paint peeler would fit?

1) What are the first changes you made to your Wethead?

2) Preferred vendors for aftermarket accessories?

3) Complaints about the Wethead I should know about?

-MKL

In response to question 1, I did a fair bit within the first few weeks:-

* Front mudguard extension

* Additional Clearwater LED "Darla" running lights (in addition to the * BMW's aux LED lights!)

* Taller windscreen (I am 6'4")

* Illum Works BarBaks

* Footrest lowering kit

* Side stand enlarger

* Dual horn

* Converted the front power socket to always on

* Additional mirrors

* Grip Puppies (I found the new style grips too thin)

* Additional LED deceleration / brake lights

* Rear fog light

* City lids to make the panniers narrow enough for commuting

* Small box behind the number plate for 1st aid kit.

* PDM60 "fuse box" to aid the wiring up of the above bits!

* Garage door opener

Now on question 3!!

* Wonder wheel, e.g I just want a button for the heated grips!

* The audio does not have enough buttons e.g. too hard to change from speakers to helmet sound etc.

* The dash still as too much glare. I have never found a situation where moving the dash up/down helps even a little bit.

* Not enough info displayed on the dash without having to cycle through the menus (Did I mention I dislike the wonder wheel?)

* Nowhere to store the optional oil filler securing wrench under the seat

* No handy storage for the Rider Manual

* Rear seat cannot be removed or refitted easily (why did they do this??

* A lot less under seat storage (for all my farkles!)

* If you buy the top spec of Top box with light you cannot leave the lid open in your garage because the light stays on. BMW should make this cut out like the power sockets.

All small things in the scheme of things and there are some improvements, to list just three:-

* Hill Start Assist is really great when you need it

* You can now see the trip and odometer readouts at the same time

* If you have the Nav V you can set it up to show the range left in the tank (on the Nav v).

Curious about this rear fog light. I have one on my HD now. Which rear fog light did you use? I have plenty of Clearwater stuff in my collection so I'm thinking of modifying one of those for this purpose.

-MKL

Curious about this rear fog light. I have one on my HD now. Which rear fog light did you use? I have plenty of Clearwater stuff in my collection so I'm thinking of modifying one of those for this purpose.

If you have a Clearwater CANopener 3, you can wire it to the trunk brake light to make the light both a flashing brake light and a constant running light.

I installed a single Piaa horn. Plug and play. Hard to get at to do. Had to borrow an extra arm to hold everything in place while screwed things back together from the top. It's loud! GT

Any reason not to consider one? Any differences between 2014 and 2015 models?

The big question to me is whether the savings are enough to overcome the depreciation -- the '14's are a month away from being two years old.

My 2c:

The savings would pay for a lot of farkles but still a tough decision. In a couple of years you'd have either a relatively low-mileage '14 or the same mileage '16.

One alternative is to custom-order a '16 with only the options you want in order to leave some cost room for your add-on farkles, unless you want a factory-fully-loaded bike anyway. It still wouldn't add up to the savings you'd get on a left-over '14 but you'd have a '16. I'd also presume that a '16 may have some factory kinks worked out compared to a '14, since it will be the third model year of the design -- although there have not been many reported problems specific to the Wethead.

Right now, the leading contender is a '15 demo. The '15 demo at a dealer that I've found is selling for within a hair of a '14 in the classifieds here, and has 800 miles (meaning the first service is covered, unlike the '14 sold here which has 400 miles on it.) Both are identically equipped, down to the color in fact.

The '15 demo will also be titled as "new" and thus provide me with much longer warranty coverage vs. the '14 sold here. I think some of the guys private selling '14s are in for a shock, because the dealer demos offer far, far better value for the aforementioned reasons.

We'll see what happens, but I was over there again today sitting on it. Haven't ridden a wethead yet, because once I do I know it's all over - but it's my second time at the dealer this week.

-MKL

I don't think anyone has brought up exhaust? I find the wethead exhaust much louder than my '04. Definitely has a growl to it. In fact I would prefer it slightly quieter while cruising.

Right now, the leading contender is a '15 demo. The '15 demo at a dealer that I've found is selling for within a hair of a '14 in the classifieds here, and has 800 miles (meaning the first service is covered, unlike the '14 sold here which has 400 miles on it.) Both are identically equipped, down to the color in fact.

The '15 demo will also be titled as "new" and thus provide me with much longer warranty coverage vs. the '14 sold here. I think some of the guys private selling '14s are in for a shock, because the dealer demos offer far, far better value for the aforementioned reasons.

We'll see what happens, but I was over there again today sitting on it. Haven't ridden a wethead yet, because once I do I know it's all over - but it's my second time at the dealer this week.

-MKL

Colors might matter. 2015 had the blue, which I like. For a 2014 it would have to be the ebony, at least for me. No matter what it's a rocking bike. Welcome back.

There's another attractive 2014 right here in our classifieds that includes some very useful accessories, available at a fair price.....

If you don't care for the accessories, who knows, the owner might strip 'em off and save you a grand or so.

You should take a look.

shalom

d'milan

I'm baaaaaaaaack! Just closed on the 2015 blue demo, loaded to the hilt. Now to farkelize.............

Thanks for all your help, guys. I should have this in hand in the next 7-10 days and then be back to normal contribution on this board.

-MKL

I'm baaaaaaaaack! Just closed on the 2015 blue demo, loaded to the hilt. Now to farkelize.............

Thanks for all your help, guys. I should have this in hand in the next 7-10 days and then be back to normal contribution on this board.

-MKL

Congrats and good luck. It's about time you contribute something to the board again.

Welcome back!

:wave:

Thanks. Well, let's start with the obvious - what products / farkles would you like to see reviewed that you haven't seen reviewed yet? If any good suggestions are offered, I can ping my editors and see if they're interested, either at BMW ON or MCN.

-MKL

Thanks. Well, let's start with the obvious - what products / farkles would you like to see reviewed that you haven't seen reviewed yet? If any good suggestions are offered, I can ping my editors and see if they're interested, either at BMW ON or MCN.

-MKL

Well, isn't this a coincidence! wink wink to EffBee! I may have something for you to try out by the time you get settled on the new RT.

Enough of that, congratulations. I cannot say you will be as impressed with the bike as I was coming off my beloved '04 RT ( which is still the best looking BMW ever built ). You had a newer version RT. It takes a few days to learn what all the bike offers, not the least of which is the brilliant hill start. The manners and character of the bike bring a smile. You'll love it!

I can't wait. I didn't even ride a wethead RT yet, so it's going to be a complete surprise. I too had an '04 before my '09, and I agree it is the most beautiful RT ever made. I think this new one is better looking than the Hexhead, though.

Seriously - any ideas for farkle / product reviews welcome. I already have a few myself! My bikes remain stock for only a few minutes after I take delivery. ;-)

Speaking of which - how do you add stalk-mounted mirrors on these things? I had them on my 2004 and 2009, but I didn't see mounting holes here. Any ideas?

-MKL

Break her in, learn quick shift, set her in dynamic mode and hit the mountain range. And haaaang on :-)

Hope you got enough points left on your license as they might start reducing fast...LOL.

This is a very different boxer to the previous models.

My '14 RT has about 8000 miles now. It's Quartz Blue Metallic, and I had the top case painted to match. Mine has Shift Assist, and that is well worth the cost. So far I've installed Clearwater Darla lights, Clearwater Billie brake light, a Nautilus horn, and Vario brake and clutch levers.

I had an '08 RT previously, and I quickly changed the seat to a Rick Mayer unit, and I changed the windshield for a V-Stream. When I got the new bike I decided to wait and see for myself whether I needed to change them. So far the stock seat and windshield are serving me just fine.

I can't wait. I didn't even ride a wethead RT yet, so it's going to be a complete surprise.

-MKL

You will be. Your bike will feel far nimble than its predecessor, almost as though all the luggage has been forgotten and the tank is empty, the thing just gets up and boogies about with ease.

Speaking of which - how do you add stalk-mounted mirrors on these things? I had them on my 2004 and 2009, but I didn't see mounting holes here. Any ideas?

-MKL

Welcome back Moshe.

You missed Marks post.

Another tidbit:

If you want to mount anything with a RAM ball on the handlebars (in my case, a SPOT tracker holder), you can replace the grip cluster clamp on either side with the one from the R1200GSW that holds the GS's mirrors (32 72 8 532 971 PIPE CLAMP), and thread a RAM 10-1.5 ball into the threaded boss. Let me know if you want a pic -- too close to bed time to get one tonight ;)

I assume GS mirrors can be adapted to the RT in this fashion.

Hi Moshe - I am new to this forum but not to riding. A question for you. I noticed that you own(ed) a HD Switchback and decided to return to the RT. Like you, I owned an earlier model year RT, and recently went back to an HD Heritage Classic. But am thinking RT. So my question: what was it about your HD - your riding experience with it - that persuaded you to go back to the RT?

With thanks,

John

I assume GS mirrors can be adapted to the RT in this fashion.

Yes -- this is actually the GS mirror-mount version of the grip clamp.

Ahhhh, thanks for that mirror info. I wasn't sure if that was the actual threaded hole that matched mirror stems or not. Good to know.

Re HD that's a separate thread and I will try to expound on it later, but I fear it will run into HD bashing (one doesn't switch because he loves the product, now, does he?) so I'm not sure what the policy is. Suffice it to say that for functionality, I am much happier riding a BMW, and that my personality tends to find more common with BMW folks.

-MKL

and then be back to normal contribution on this board.

-MKL

:grin:

Not sure how normal some of us are...

sweathogs_kotter.jpg

and then be back to normal contribution on this board.

-MKL

Not sure how normal some of us are...

sweathogs_kotter.jpg

Half of those are passed now. Hard to believe.

This thread is like M&M's, couldn't stop once i started. My 04 is rocking now. couple years with very little riding....just added PR4's and had the ABS serviced. Valves and TBS ok and it's running great. Knock on wood.

i truly would love a new one, but have been avoiding showrooms like Bill Cosby avoids his wife.

Moshe, enjoy the ride. I'm staying old school with the 04 for a bit longer. :wave:

Brian,

Your bike is low mileage, keep it.

With little riding past xx my GT is still just over 83k.

Since I have a friend whose K75 just went over 408k, hope I'm good for a while.

Farkling has begun:

Cee Bailey's headlight guard (never leave home without it. Saved both my 2004 and 2009 headlights, many times!)

Tankslapper Paint Protection Film (I will review for ON)

I also looked into the barbacks from Illum but I think I should ride it first for awhile to make sure I need them. Pretty sure I will need them though. Apparently you have to rent or buy a special tool to install them!

More to follow.....

-MKL

Apparently you have to rent or buy a special tool to install them!

Rent the tool! For $15, it's worth every penny, and they even include pre-paid return postage.

You can rig up an appropriate substitute, but the correct tool makes it a snap and avoids marring the bars' finish.

Archived