IGNORED

Thinking of Another RT......

moshe_levy

Thanks, Moshe, for your post this morning in reply to mine. No HD bashing in my world. I think your use of the word "functionality" is apt here. And, of course, what is functional for one person is maybe not so much so for another . . . No judgment there.

Thanks for all your posts. Test rode a '15 RT today and it felt a lot different from my '07 RT. Fun to ride!

I'm more than willing to expound on my HD experience if you all want. I tend to be opinionated but I can tone it down. Obviously if I weren't displeased with things I wouldn't be losing my shirt getting rid of the bike after less than a year. Is that a subject for a new thread? I rather like keeping this one handy for all the parts and advice provided so far.....

Thanks, Moshe, for your reply. Yeah, let's keep this thread handy, for the reasons you state . . . Having ridden several different bikes for a lot of miles, I appreciate what feels right to me with each one, and always feel a little regret when I move on (which I tend to do with some frequency, so I know about "losing my shirt"!) . . .

Now I need to decide about that beautiful '15 RT.

Hi,

Just an FYI, I had a 2004 and 2009 RT just like you. I currently have over 5500 miles on my 2014 RT. I would compare my 2004 to 2009 as Jeep SUV compared to an BMW X3. The 2014 is such a step forward it is difficult to make the same comparison. Being height challenged at 5'7, I am 100% more confident on the 2014. It is much more tossable and I can make even smaller and tighter turns. Throttle response and the extras such as shift assist pro are amazing. Love being able to downshift without the clutch. You will not regret making this change

Pickup Date has been set for SATURDAY. So excited! Most of it is done. The topcase is being painted to match and won't be ready until next week, plus a few other accessories aren't in yet, but the basic bike is ready! So I'm going to pick it up in 2 days! Then schlep back up there next weekend too for the rest of the farkles. Yeeeepeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

-MKL

Oh! Usually I always just cut and pasted, but... Wow. Shows you my state of technical competence! And now I just got a bike with all these wiz-bank electronics.....

-MKL

PS - Thanks! (It won't stay stock for long!)

I could live without the graphics, but I do love the blue. Maybe they're stick-on, in which case I will peel them off. I haven't even seen the bike yet in "real life."

-MKL

I looked at the blue also and thought about just taking off the graphics. I looked at the bike and there is a coat of clear over them so you could not just peel them off.

off topic sort of, but compared to it's great, great, great grandfather the gorgeous 2004RT, how does removing the tupperware compare?

Also, what does "GPS Preparation" mean? Are the 2015's wired with mount? plug and play?

I could live without the graphics, but I do love the blue. Maybe they're stick-on, in which case I will peel them off.

They appear to be clear-coated over, so I haven't tried to remove mine.

I will say they have grown on me, likely because I removed most of the rest of the gray.

If you are going to go blue, go all blue! :D

IMG_0851_zps5scs4qus.jpg

Where did you get the side case protesters? GT

The upper and lower black plastic pads are a BMW accessory - obtained via my dealer.

FWIW, I don't believe the lower pad will offer much protection in a tip-over. I installed them because they are great protection when you have the case on the ground and open the lid -- they are perfectly situated for taking any ground rash instead of the lid.

Horns -- when you get around to it, there are a number of threads on type and mounting locations. Many (particularly the air horn users) mount them under the steering head, off the OE horn bracket location. I opted to stick/hide my FIAMMs inside the left radiator duct: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=923728&Searchpage=1&Main=83639&Words=Another+horn&Search=true#Post923728

As far as electrical, as you are contemplating a set of Clearwater lights, if you use the CANopener 3 you can power an aux horn(s) from the CANopener 3 and leave the OE horn untouched -- no OE wire tapping. The CANopener 3 output has enough current to power a relay, not the horns directly. Interestingly, because the CANopener 3 is monitoring the CANBus, the FIAMMs fire a fraction of a second before the OE horn -- an interesting (distinctive? dunno) sound.

Mark, agreed on the pads. We have the equivalent on my friend Matt's 2013 R1200R cases for the same reason.

Re Clearwaters:

1) What bracket are you using to hold the lights on the engine guard? Is that a Clearwater bracket?

2) Yes, I wil outfit the bike with a full Clearwater setup, as I already have the lights. CANopener as well, which I do not currently have. Need to contact them.

Re horn:

Strangely - and this is the first RT where I can say this - my stock horn is very loud. I had TWO Stebel air horns on my R1150RT, and one on my R1200RT (2009.) At least so far, I don't feel the stock horn needs updating - at least not as a major priority. It seems BMW has changed from its usual wimpy "mmmmmeeeeeeeeep mmmmeeeeeeeeeeeep" moped horn and put something substantial on there.

-MKL

1) What bracket are you using to hold the lights on the engine guard? Is that a Clearwater bracket?

Ilium Works: http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30%2D250BL&pID=109

Note: Most of the pics show the brackets holding the BMW aux lights. At the far right of the panel of small pics is a pic and a drawing of the brackets themselves, showing the end part that receives a single bolt to hold another light's bracket:

Ilium_Exploded_View_zpsgsrkbbwo.jpg

Note2: My Ericas are mounted with the Ilium end part located *inside* the Clearwater bracket, making the overall mount more compact/"cleaner" looking (yes, I'm that A.R. ;) ). That required putting a small counter-sink in one side of the end part and using a corresponding countersink bolt picked up at the local Ace Hardware.

550e8192-378f-4c27-95ea-5b49ae3e5703_zpseie9qn6j.jpg

Note3: Because of where I chose to mount mine, I could rotate the mounts down to rest on the engine mount cross-bar, and put them far enough inboard so that the nut on the back of the light bracket contacted the engine bar, so the cantilevered weight of the Ericas cannot rotate the bracket farther down. This location also put the Ericas within the "protection" of the engine guard so they won't touch down in a tip-over.

Note4: The Ilium mounts are fiddly to set up, as they are adjustable in multiple directions (a plus when trying to align the lights exactly as desired), including an Allen bolt inside the shaft accessed from the clamp side. Once set, though, they've been rock-solid.

Probably more info than you wanted -- I'll provide shorter answers if you prefer :D

Strangely - and this is the first RT where I can say this - my stock horn is very loud. I had TWO Stebel air horns on my R1150RT, and one on my R1200RT (2009.) At least so far, I don't feel the stock horn needs updating - at least not as a major priority. It seems BMW has changed from its usual wimpy "mmmmmeeeeeeeeep mmmmeeeeeeeeeeeep" moped horn and put something substantial on there.

Interesting -- I didn't notice a difference from my '12 RT or K16s.

-MKL

My '04 had an excellent factory horn. My '14 is very weak. Maybe the '15's are coming with a real horn?

My '04 had an excellent factory horn. My '14 is very weak. Maybe the '15's are coming with a real horn?

I wasn't impressed with my '15's OE horn.

I will say they have grown on me, likely because I removed most of the rest of the gray.

If you are going to go blue, go all blue! :D

IMG_0851_zps5scs4qus.jpg

I do like the blued out Nose cone and side panel sections :)

Rich06FJR1300

i actually inquired about the same RT Moshe just purchased lol...they never too it off their site. oh well

Archived