IGNORED

Sargent seat

acy540

I have been on the notification email for Sargent seat basically since I picked up my rt over a year ago. Last weekend I received an email that they were releasing the seats. Monday I ordered the world plus seat with heat

Spoke with Bob at Sargent they offered a10% discount and I should have it around the 1st of July.

Thought I signed up too but, no notification as of yet. Do you mind if I ask the million dollar question of how much $?

Pat

Pat, Give them a call. I think their database got hosed as they sent my order confirmation to some place in Georgia and had the order wrong. Since they had the order wrong I now have two prices (with the 10% discount)for you that include shipping.

BMW R1200RT (2014+), CarbonFX/Black welt/BMW tag, OEM-ready integrated heat, Regular Height front with rear. $810.95

BMW R1200RT (2014+), CarbonFX/Metallic Silver welt/BMW tag, OEM-ready integrated heat, Low Version front with rear. $830.21

Evidently you can just order the front seat. I didn't ask how much that was as I wanted matching, comfortable seats.

Ken

Panhandle Chuck

Same here, got the confirmation email placing me on the "email list" once released, then no email. I emailed them today and attached the original email and asked for the reduced price code. Anyway, good to know they just don't like me! I'd be interested on hearing real world feedback on the performance plus material. I had the performance on my GSA for four years without issue, but hey, if there's a better material I'd be interested!

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived 6/23. Installation was straightforward with no issues. On the first test ride, 200 miles, I noticed that the Sargent puts more pressure on the inner thigh. For me, not as comfortable initially as the OEM seat. But the rear portion is wider and lets the butt find more area to spread over. Over the miles the inner pressure seemed to lessen.

Overall, i am pleased with the upgrade. I have not tried installing the seat in the hight position, which appears to raise the back portion and force more weight forward.

Quality of construction appears to be first-rate.

thanks for the review rgmanley! So ... IYHO is the Sargent seat a "worth"y upgrade? ...or is the jury still out?

I received mine and installed it yesterday. Easy install, biggest thing is changing the lock over from the stock seat. Takes about 5 minutes including finding the tool.

Haven't had a chance to ride it yet but there is more support on the Butt. Much wider than the stock.

I'll post once we get some seat time

What is the "under seat" space like compared to OEM? I ask because I have installed a PDM60 and Autocom under the rider's seat and just want to check they would also fit under this replacement seat.

Hi TJRL,

How do you get a PDM and autocom under the Riders seat? I've got no room there - got mine under the pillion seat but I don't have the bmw radio fitted.

Hi Clievma,

PDM60 right at the front, Autocom off to the left hand side sort of under the Tupperware rather than actually under the seat. I thought about under the passenger seat but I do have the radio and experience has taught me that easy access to these things is needed and the passenger seat takes too long to remove (why did they do that??).

I run with the seat in the high position being 6'4" but I did check that the setup also works with the seat in the lower position.

I hope this helps.

Mine arrived 6/23. Installation was straightforward with no issues. On the first test ride, 200 miles, I noticed that the Sargent puts more pressure on the inner thigh. For me, not as comfortable initially as the OEM seat. But the rear portion is wider and lets the butt find more area to spread over. Over the miles the inner pressure seemed to lessen.

Overall, i am pleased with the upgrade. I have not tried installing the seat in the hight position, which appears to raise the back portion and force more weight forward.

Quality of construction appears to be first-rate.

Got mine today and noted the inner thigh thing as well. Only had time for a 90 mile test but noted the thigh pressure lessening over the course of the ride just as you did. I'm thinking of beating a little sense into it before riding again. Even though I have a short inseam (29") I installed it in the high position and can nearly flatfoot it when standing (not when sitting though). I didn't experience the sliding forward sensation I have with the stock seat but I did get a little knife-between-the-shoulders, perhaps because not sliding forward means I have to reach further. I felt the contours of the padding underneath the cover and noted a bit of a groove in the middle, so there was no tailbone pressure - a nice touch. More area for my fat a** to spread is definitely an improvement. I'm planning a longer ride this weekend (dang day job) to break it in some more but will keep my AirHawk in the pannier for a while, just in case.

I suspect my ideal of a tank-to-tank (4-6 hour) saddle will continue to elude me though.

Before you buy a genartic seat that is supposed to fit everyone take a look at Rich's seat in Kingston Washington. They build there seats to fit you! Good folks and good prices. Genartic seats don't work from my experience. GT

Just got my seat today via FedEx. Braved the oppressive heat and rode for 1.5 hours. Not enough seat time to see if it’s road trip worthy since the stock seat doesn’t bother me until about the two hour mark. Anyway, initial impressions:

1) Felt firmer than stock. I already knew it would based on my visit to Sargent’s back in May.

2) As rgmanley noted four posts up, more pressure on the inner thighs but I hardly noticed while riding. Most noticeable when I was stopped.

3) A little pressure on the uppermost back of my thighs too. This I could feel while riding but it was never uncomfortable.

4) About the same height as the OEM seat. I have a 30” inseam and although I can’t comfortably flat-foot, it’s not bad at all. I wanted the extra foam over the low seat version.

5) Quality construction and I think it looks pretty good. Pics below (I probably should have resized...oh well).

So, it passed the initial test but the jury’s still out on long distance comfort. Hopefully I’ll be able to get out for a lengthy ride soon.

Ken

DSCN1183_zpsglzq9tiq.jpg

DSCN1182_zpsrnry1i0p.jpg

DSCN1181_zps2lx79u0x.jpg

Nice looking seat. I like firm seats. Does the wider passenger seat make it hard to grab the rail and raise the bike up on the center stand?

Pictures are perfect Ken.

What even harder then the OEM seats???..ouch.

I can't see much of a shape difference. A shame, as we can get them directly here in Australia. But for that money, I expect them to be custom made to suit my specific needs. Otherwise I might as well stick with the stock seats.

Nice looking seat. I like firm seats. Does the wider passenger seat make it hard to grab the rail and raise the bike up on the center stand?

It's definitely a squeeze to get your hand between the grab rail and the seat now. I may start using the rear protection bar to grab when I put it up on the center stand.

I can't see much of a shape difference. A shame, as we can get them directly here in Australia. But for that money, I expect them to be custom made to suit my specific needs. Otherwise I might as well stick with the stock seats.

It's a bit firmer but I think the theory is better weight distribution...we'll see. Yeah, I'll be disappointed if I can't go 8-10 hours in comfort like I could with an AirHawk cushion over the stock seat.

Jim VonBaden

It's a bit firmer but I think the theory is better weight distribution...we'll see. Yeah, I'll be disappointed if I can't go 8-10 hours in comfort like I could with an AirHawk cushion over the stock seat.

If an Airhawk works for you for 8-10 hours why would you buy a seat for that kind of money that is almost certainly NOT going to give you 8-10 hour comfort? The Sargent is a very firm seat. Not for everyone, but works great for me. I absolutely hated the Airhawk. It made me move around too much and I could never get the pressure right.

As for shape, seriously? You can't see much of a difference?

Jim :Cool:

If an Airhawk works for you for 8-10 hours why would you buy a seat for that kind of money that is almost certainly NOT going to give you 8-10 hour comfort? The Sargent is a very firm seat. Not for everyone, but works great for me. I absolutely hated the Airhawk. It made me move around too much and I could never get the pressure right.

As for shape, seriously? You can't see much of a difference?

Not sure if you really wanted an answer but there are several reasons actually

1) The seat has a 30 day return policy. Yes, I’ll have to pay a restocking fee and shipping cost but hey, it’s not like I haven’t gambled away (or blown) a hundred bucks before.

2) I don’t like strapping the AirHawk on before trips. Forgot to on the last trip and turned around to go back and get it, losing about an hour. Plus, I don’t particularly like how the bike looks with the AirHawk on it.

3) Tried to order a RDL but they basically refused to build one for me because of my 30” inseam.

I’ll give you that you can’t see much difference in shape but I can certainly feel a difference.

I’ll post again after a good long ride and let everyone know how the comfort level was for me. I’ve got to have a little faith in Sargent. They sell a lot of seats and as you noted, they’re not cheap. They must be doing something right.

Ken

Jim VonBaden

Hi Ken,

Reasonable answers, though I can definitely see a difference between the stock seat and the Sargent.

Did you order a low seat? I have a 28" inseam and the RDL was crap for me.

I look forward to your review.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you order a low seat? I have a 28" inseam and the RDL was crap for me.

Could you elaborate on that? I have a 29" inseam and almost like the Sargent (I use it in the high position, with lowered pegs), but am thinking about an RDL. Wondering why it didn't work for you.

Panhandle Chuck

I put 100 miles on the Sargent seat this morning. It was my first ride with the seat and I noticed a definate increase in comfort. I previously used a Sargent seat on a 2010 GSA, so I believed it would work for me and at this point I'm pleased.

IMG_3764.jpg

Topped off the gas tank this morning and launched out to make a decision on whether or not to keep the Sargent seat. The criteria: 4 straight hours of seat time with no significant butt discomfort. The most I could do on the stock seat was 2 hours so I wanted to at least double that. The route I took maximized butt firmly in the saddle time…only a few instances of having to come to a full stop. I just got back a bit ago after 4 hour, 5 minutes in the saddle and feel like I could go again so looks like I’ll be keeping it. :thumbsup:

I will say that the seat is at least as firm as the stock seat but the support is obviously spread out over a larger area. For me it's not as comfortable as the stock seat with an AirHawk but it sure looks a lot better and I believe it's going to work well for me.

Ken

Ken,

Just the summary I was looking for - my experience and use parallels yours. Mine is on order...

Did the Sargent solve the sliding forward issue of the stock seat?

THANKS!

/ed

Did the Sargent solve the sliding forward issue of the stock seat?

I never really noticed sliding forward on the stock seat but on the Sargent seat I find that I have to make an effort to slide forward when I come to a stop and put my feet down. So, my guess is that you wouldn't slide forward as much, if any.

I just put the standard Sargent on my RT. I get a little less foot on the ground at stops, either it's a little taller or wider at the front. Also felt the front upper edges of the seat pressing into the backs of my thighs. Not sure if this is just noticeable or if it will be a comfort problem on a long day. The rest of the seat is very comfortable. Only ridden about two hours, but I think it's going to be much better than stock.

I ordered the low seat yesterday, when it comes I'll have a sit-off and return the loser.

• 1 month later...
Jim VonBaden

I added the Sargent to my GS. I liked it on my 05, and really like it on my 15 GS.

20150809_173538_resized.jpg

20150809_173544_resized.jpg

20150809_173532_resized.jpg

I also added this cool GPS sun shade. No reason to post it here except that I like it.

20150724_160309.jpg

20150724_160304.jpg

Am also considering the Sargent seat. Does anyone have a comparison between the two different fabrics they are now offering?

- Is the standard covering ok or do you find it slippery? Will be using textile pants while riding.

- The "plus" fabric is supposed to give a bit more tactile/sticky feel. Any thoughts from those using it? Too sticky, just right, etc etc?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

Wow $ 810.00 for a seat!!! i'd want a kiss after, I have a custom made seat from Seth Laam, and have done a couple od 12 hour days in the saddle. And it cost me less than 400 bucks!!

But to each his own.

Wow $ 810.00 for a seat!!! i'd want a kiss after, I have a custom made seat from Seth Laam, and have done a couple od 12 hour days in the saddle. And it cost me less than 400 bucks!!

But to each his own.

Mine was $400 delivered within 2 weeks.

I don't know where you come up with $810 for the Sargent seat , the Sargent site I bought mine from was $389 for the front seat only and $409 with shipping,took about two weeks from time of order till it arrived and $689 for both seats.

Anyway I did a twelve hour road trip (actual 11 hours in the saddle 739 miles) the same day I received it and I have to say it beats the stock seat hands down (put 20,000 miles on the stock one and it was really a pain in the a## ). For me it was definitely worth the money I can't say it'll be the same for you but it comes with a 30 day return policy if you don't like it send it back and get a refund .If you put in ten to twelve hours a day while on a trip like I do this seat would be worth trying out.

I just returned (1 hour ago) from a tour starting in San Diego, going through Arizona, all the high passes and twisties in Colorado (ten days of Colorado), then Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and back to San Diego.

The Sargent seat was great.

I've put about 3,000 miles on my heated Sargent since the beginning of August. Longest days were about 400 miles. For me it's MUCH better than stock. And, my wife prefers it too. No soreness at all at the end of the day.

This is my third Sargent. I know that they work for me.

Yes, they're expensive. But, build-quality is top-shelf. For me it's worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

I put a Russell on my RT about a year ago. Last two new bikes I have just done the Russell seat and not looked at any other option. Tired of spending money on other stuff, then selling them and finally ending up with a Russell anyway. Couldn't be happier with the feel of the Russell and I actually was surprised how good it looked on the RT.

And back to Sargent Seats. :grin:

Just made a trip to Tampa and back...425 miles each way. The seat + backrest was great. Only made two stops on each leg.

I remember my first trip on the RT down to Central Florida and the accompanying seat misery. After two hours I was constantly repositioning myself, standing up on the pegs, etc. On the way back I was resorting to stopping at every rest stop. Having an actual touring seat is wonderful.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Sargent seats are having their 10% off plus free shipping until the end of November again.

After all the great reviews on here (and everywhere else) I decided to try the loaner seat at my local dealership. After about an hour I was ready to get off. I could definitely feel it on my inner thighs and where my butt meets my legs. Some of you guys have mentioned feeling uncomfortableness there and I'm wondering if it has improved over time?

After all the great reviews I'm kinda let down. I love the look of the seat, and the apparent durability but I need a seat I can ride for hours on with minimal discomfort.

I think I may be one of the few people who likes the stock seat on my bike. I've done long tours, IBA rides, commuting, etc on it and I really think it's fine.

... I could definitely feel it on my inner thighs and where my butt meets my legs. Some of you guys have mentioned feeling uncomfortableness there and I'm wondering if it has improved over time? ...

Yes it improves. After a couple of thousand miles it disappeared. For some strange reason it takes about 20 minutes every time to mold to me but once it does it's good for hundreds of miles.

I think I may be one of the few people who likes the stock seat on my bike. I've done long tours, IBA rides, commuting, etc on it and I really think it's fine.

Me too. 16,000 miles on my 2015 stock seat. On rides over 600 miles/ day I've found alternating the seat from high to low and vice versa at 225-250 mile gas stops gives me a completely fresh riding position.

I took another demo ride (right at 90 miles strait) on the Sargent yesterday just to be really sure about how it felt before the sale ends. I wanted to like this seat badly, but in the end, my stock high seat seems to be much more comfortable. Maybe one day I'll be able to try a Sargent with a few thousand miles and see how it feels.

Archived