IGNORED

Sargent seat

acy540

Received mine yesterday and installed last night. Rode in this morning and it is much better than stock. In the high position it is leaned back more than the stock which keeps you from sliding into the tank. Seat heat seems to heat up a little quicker. I think the room under the seat is about the same as the stock. The tools that were under the front seat now go under the rear seat.

Alan

I put about 120 miles on it yesterday and I was not sore at all. On the stock seat I would have been. Now I think I might need some barbacks like these:

http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-500&pID=103

Alan

If you get the bar backs I'd recommend renting their assist tool. I'm not sure I could have done the job without it. The bar backs almost positioned the grips where I wanted them but much better nonetheless. Not a lot of cable slack left after installation.

Glad you're liking the new seat. Obviously not for everyone but I'm sure happy with mine.

Ken

Curious if anyone has bought the Sargent backrest to go with their seat. Any thoughts or reviews would be great. Not sure if it would be very effective with the slight forward lean of my '14 RT.

..... In the high position it is leaned back more than the stock which keeps you from sliding into the tank......

Alan

Did you also swap the rear support bumpers? There should be both a low an additional high bumper.

"Install the front seat. IMPORTANT! Your new Sargent front seat is height

adjustable like your OEM seat, however the Sargent Seat has two extra support

bumpers that must be installed when using the seat in the HIGH position only. "

Tom,

I did install the two rubber bumpers that came with the Sargent seat. Are there other ones you are talking about?

Alan

Alan,

I don't have the seat, am interested and was just looking at the install PDF, seems there are additional bumpers that screw in when used in high position and removed in low. See Page #3 in the Install instructions .....

https://system.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=439109&c=415638&h=473a5a2fc2e34ce78f25&_xt=.pdf&ck=SrIgWxUDAjGtAyji&vid=SrIgIeQCAqCGB-ba&cktime=131863&gc=clear

Curious if anyone has bought the Sargent backrest to go with their seat. Any thoughts or reviews would be great. Not sure if it would be very effective with the slight forward lean of my '14 RT.

It effectively keeps you from flying off the back when you nail the throttle.

The only time the backrest really comes into play for me is on the highway when I put my feet on the highway pegs and can push my back into the backrest. But for that purpose it's good for me to help prevent my back from getting stiff. In a normal riding position it doesn't do much for me as I do have a slight forward lean towards the handlebars.

Ken

• 1 month later...

A bit of background about myself. I am a new BMW R1200RT rider. I currently have a MY'2010. I am 5' 8.5", with 30in inseam, and weigh about 166 lbs. In other words small! I just installed the Sargent Low seat. And here are somethings I have noticed.

I am more confident with the lower seat at stops, backing up, etc... The heated seat works very well, been riding for 2 days now in 0C/32F temps in the morning.

The seat is firmer than the stock seat. I actually like the firmness of the seat, and the height/position seems to have made it more comfortable for my shoulders and back. I also like the fact that the surface is slippery, meaning I am actually able to slide to a different position versus having to stand up slightly to move to a different position.

I have not had any chances to put in 1-2 hours of continuous riding so do not have any idea of long ride comfort.

I put a Sargent on my R1100RT almost exactly 2 years ago, after I rode down to Jacksonville for a fitting (and rode back the next day to get home before the 4-inch "blizzard" that shut down Atlanta for 5 days).

My body is almost exactly the same size as Etienne's, except that my inseam is even shorter. Sargent initially suggested the low seat; 30 seconds was enough to convince me I didn't want to go that route. Not only was it hard as a rock, but it ruined the hip to footpeg relationship. This could have been "fixed" with lower foot pegs, but I felt I could achieve an acceptable solution with some reshaping of the stock Sargent seat, which they did while I waited. I experimented with shimming the front mount to get the angle just right (as little as 1/8" of an inch makes a perceptible difference).

A sheepskin pad on top of the Sargent provides a little extra cushion, and for the first time in my life, I have a bike that can travel longer between gas stops than my bladder can.

I'm a strong believer that a custom seat isn't really custom unless you can ride in for a fitting. Not everybody is near enough to the famous seat builders for this to be practical, but shaping a seat isn't rocket science. Find a good upholstery shop, preferably one with experience with motorcycle seats, and work with them until you get something that works for your butt.

Archived