IGNORED

Excited chatter??????

Bud

I leave two weeks from today to head north the state of my birth and hopefully see cows. :thumbsup:

Anyone else getting excited about the UN? :wave:

The Stars have aligned and I will be arriving Monday leaving Wednesday afternoon.

I gotta meet the empty beer can.

The Stars have aligned and I will be arriving Monday leaving Wednesday afternoon.

I gotta meet the empty beer can.

Well now, remember all those promises of free beer???? You are coming a long way baby! See ya there. :wave::thumbsup:

Taking my time. This is my big trip for the year, since Spring/Fall Torrey is just 600 miles away. Probably leave on the 17th and mosey into Warrens, WI, on Sat, the 20th or Sun the 21st, depending on a whole lotta things.

Everything is done on the bike except changing the alternator belt, which I'm tackling today. Then I'll mount the tank and see if my fuel filter replacement is working, sealed and the fuel tank is not leaking. I'll do a TB sync because I've replaced the throttle cables. Once everything is buttoned up, I've got a 250-mile ride through the mountains scheduled for later this week. Plan to pull out of each corner one gear too high, so I'll be stretching those throttle cables, then stripping off the tupperware to do a final sync on those stretched out cables. That will put the finishing touches on a week's worth of servicing, some bloody knuckles, one torn thumbnail (mutha HURTS I tell ya), and a lot of satisfaction.

I'm really looking forward to meeting so many of our midwest and eastern members. I get to meet all the west coast people at Torrey a couple of times a year. But there are great members everywhere and I'm looking forward to putting faces with screennames and shaking their hands (do watch out for my thumb, though).

Excited? Not just yet. Let me get the servicing finished and then I'll be excited. Newly refreshed Boston Green Baby. Washed and waxed. Brand new rubber. A GPS finally hooked up and feeding into my electrified tankbag, through my Autocom and into my Az Al's earplugs, my first two-wheeled pass through Yellowstone, a former coworker and her hubs to visit in Billings, a little future-Un reconnaissance, first time ever in ND (like EVER, including flying into/through and as far as I know, over), seeing another co-worker in Mpls., and then also my first time riding in the state of Wisconsin. Overall, a sweet trip for me.

Joe Frickin' Friday
...first time ever in ND (like EVER, including flying into/through and as far as I know, over)...

Good memories from North Dakota, believe it or not. North Dakota State University is my alma mater; I spent four and a half academic years (and a couple of summers) in Fargo. That included five seasons in the marching band. Mine was the last marching band to perform when the team still played at the outdoor stadium before they built the Fargodome.

In the spring of my senior year I took a weekend getaway with a friend to his hometown of Dickinson, way over on the western side of the state. From there, he grabbed his Yamaha Radian, and I borrowed his Dad's Sportster 883:

1992-05-05-XL.jpg

We rode out to the badlands and took a scenic ride through the park before coming home. When I pushed the Sportster past about 80 trying to keep up with my friend, it ended up in a damn scary speed wobble, thankfully no crash. We swapped bikes for a while, and on a lark I briefly pushed his Radian up past 95; scary fast, but it was glassy smooth, quite a difference.

If you have time, you might consider a scenic ride through the Badlands. South Dakota's version of it is more famous, but North Dakota's park is pretty in its own right.

Salem Sue (waypoint is in your GPS) provides a nice break from the highway, too. It's up on a hilltop, so even if you're not crazy about getting up close and personal with a giant fiberglass cow, you'll get a nice vista of the countryside.

North Dakota is a bit like Nebraska, in that the western part of the state is semi-arid and the eastern part is more like what people thing of the Midwest, i.e. humid and fertile. Only the eastern part lives up to the stereotype of liquid flatness. Eastern ND and northwestern MN used to be a giant prehistoric lake - thus the flatness and the awesome farming soil.

Enjoy your ride; cross-country journeys like that are a profound thing worth savoring and committing to memory, even if they are occasionally mind-numbing.

Thanks, Mitch. I've got my days planned out at around 600 miles. Ogden, UT, the first night. Through Idaho and Yellowstone NP and to Billings the second night. Fargo on night three, and Warrens, WI on the fourth night. 5AM departures, with about a 3PM checkin, an early dinner and early to bed. So I do have a little time for a diversion or two.

On Day Three, it looks like I can pull off in Medora, ND, take Pacific Ave to East River Road, and then take the Scenic Loop Road and spend about an hour-and-a-half in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Is that what you meant?

BTW, you make that Sportster look good. :thumbsup:

Glenn Reed

I still need to get things buttoned up after replacing the fuel pump and filter and in-tank hoses last weekend. (Wife kept me busy with her parent's this weekend past.)

The current plan is to leave on Sunday, June 21st and go to Ohio and see one of my buds there. Then a 600 miler to Warrens WI, staying off the Interstate system as much as possible. Arrival scheduled for registration time that evening.

As mentioned by FB, I am looking forward to meeting a bunch of people from the Western portion of the board, and even a few of our Eastern members who I haven't seen yet.

Not quite excited, but definitely looking forward to it.

That included five seasons in the marching band.

Who are you?!! Did I miss a conversation between you and Karen Knapp?

I still need to get things buttoned up after replacing the fuel pump and filter and in-tank hoses last weekend. (Wife kept me busy with her parent's this weekend past.)

The current plan is to leave on Sunday, June 21st and go to Ohio and see one of my buds there. Then a 600 miler to Warrens WI, staying off the Interstate system as much as possible. Arrival scheduled for registration time that evening.

As mentioned by FB, I am looking forward to meeting a bunch of people from the Western portion of the board, and even a few of our Eastern members who I haven't seen yet.

Not quite excited, but definitely looking forward to it.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What does it take to get you excited??????

greiffster

What dose it take to get you excited??????

If his GPS works past the end of his driveway, there's a chance. :wave:

A chance he will get excited or a chance that he will make it past the end of his driveway?? :wave:

Glenn Reed

A chance he will get excited or a chance that he will make it past the end of his driveway?? :wave:

:rofl:

I'm officially excited and chattering now that Bud confirmed in another thread that he'll have Maker's Mark at the Un. And this time I'll bring a special glass to drink it from!

I'm officially excited and chattering now that Bud confirmed in another thread that he'll have Maker's Mark at the Un. And this time I'll bring a special glass to drink it from!

I'm bringing a pewter shot glass! :wave:

If your "special cup" holds more than 4 FL oz, you will only get a onetime partial fill. :rofl:

If your "special cup" holds more than 4 FL oz, you will only get a onetime partial fill. :rofl:

Yo Bud,

This is what I'm bringing;

makers%20mark_zpskzw7t0ed.jpg

taken five minutes ago and now holding < Maker's Mark than it did in the photo. :D

You can thank hopz for this. I met him and his bride Suz plus many other Un attendees in Ely, NV, while en route to the Lake Topaz Un in 2010. I'd done almost 800 miles to get to Ely and once off the bike and registering, I sauntered over to the gang to get acquainted. Hopz told me to report to his room with the glass provided by the motel. I did and he produced some fine adult beverage (Bob, I need your input here....what WAS that stuff??) and some ice. What a nice way to end a long day in the saddle!

greiffster

Come see me. I've got something that will go in there. Ice optional, I don't discriminate. :thumbsup:

Yo Bud,

This is what I'm bringing;

taken five minutes ago and now holding < Maker's Mark than it did in the photo. :D

You can thank hopz for this. I met him and his bride Suz plus many other Un attendees in Ely, NV, while en route to the Lake Topaz Un in 2010. I'd done almost 800 miles to get to Ely and once off the bike and registering, I sauntered over to the gang to get acquainted. Hopz told me to report to his room with the glass provided by the motel. I did and he produced some fine adult beverage (Bob, I need your input here....what WAS that stuff??) and some ice. What a nice way to end a long day in the saddle!

First one is on me :wave::thumbsup:

Randy, Things got a little fuzzy since the Topaz Un Rally, but IIRC we were traveling with Evan Williams on that trip.

Suz and I talked it over and that is the consensus. Evan is not near the top of the quality bourbon stack but good for a road trip. Glad you liked it.

As for containers... I will probably stick with the industry standard R.P.C. Red plastic cup... unless the motel fails to provide glasses.

The GPS not only worked past the end of the driveway, I managed to ride 160 miles today and it worked the entire time. :rofl:

Just forced it to accept all of Mitch's routes, so we're getting a lot closer to getting this show on the road.

Everybody stay safe, we'll see you in eight days!

I am excited! :clap:

Bike good to go with fresh set of Michelin PR4GT-2C tires, new rear brake pads, and oil change. Busy week so will pack the bike up tonight. Plan to leave on Friday for a stop in Ohio before heading to the UN with arrival on Sunday night.

I'm not excited.... I'm ready :clap:

If we don't get flooded out I plan to leave Tulsa Sat AM .

All new roads to ride and I mapped out several route possibilities to get to Wis. :grin:

Bike has new PR4GT's oil and flange.

This is the first big ride in over 2 years with no major life issues pending. :thumbsup:

See y'all there.

Bike good to go with fresh set of Michelin PR4GT-2C tires, new rear brake pads, and oil change. Busy week so will pack the bike up tonight. Plan to leave on Friday for a stop in Ohio before heading to the UN with arrival on Sunday night.

Great minds think alike (that goes for you, too, mrzoom). My RT is sportin'a new set of the very same plus it'll be running on new oil, filter, plugs, brake lines, and clutch slave cylinder.

Once me n hopz arrive Sunday, I'll be running on Maker's Mark. :P

Seriously, I cannot wait to get the **** outta Dodge. I need a road BAD.

See ya'll soon!

Great minds think alike (that goes for you, too, mrzoom). My RT is sportin'a new set of the very same plus it'll be running on new oil, filter, plugs, brake lines, and clutch slave cylinder.

Once me n hopz arrive Sunday, I'll be running on Maker's Mark. :P

Seriously, I cannot wait to get the **** outta Dodge. I need a road BAD.

See ya'll soon!

Guess I need to get another big bottle of MM???????? :wave::clap:

Took the bike on a shakedown run after the major service I performed. Just wanted to make sure that I got all the nuts and bolts back in place and tightened, plus I wanted to check how the old Nuvi works feeding through the Autocom and into my ear speakers.

The bike performed flawlessly. The GPS did, too, although the voice commands are a little fuzzy. They're clear as a bell if not connected to the Autocom, and they're fuzzy if I run the GPS off its battery and bypass the ground loop isolator. therefore, I suspect a cable problem since it's the same regardless of bike powered or battery powered, and whether isolated or not. Nevertheless, it wasn't bad enough to be unclear. Just a little fuzzy. Good enough for this trip. I'll work on it when I get back.

I'm getting excited because the long range forecast shows rain, but they are often wrong so I'm planning on it being dry, dry, dry, except for a couple of guys that I promised to provide Makers Mark so they wouldn't die of thirst. :wave:

I ...Busy week so will pack the bike up tonight.

Bob, I guess that means you own more than three pair of underwear. :grin:

Have a good trip.

Didn't sleep too well last night. Whether I admit it or not, I guess I'm getting excited about this event. Tonight, some Tylenol PM.

I sprained my ankle at the BMW off road school. Right now I can only do 100 miles before the pain buddies make me get off the bike. The doctor did x-rays today I will find out tomorrow if it's more than a sprain. I hope it will get better before Saturday.

Alan

I sprained my ankle at the BMW off road school. Right now I can only do 100 miles before the pain buddies make me get off the bike. The doctor did x-rays today I will find out tomorrow if it's more than a sprain. I hope it will get better before Saturday.

Alan

This is why God made ice and ibuprofen. Hope you are up to snuff pronto!

I am wondering how much moisture the remnants of TS Bill will dump in the upper Midwest during my Sat/Sun travel days? Good thing I have rain gear.

Alan

I've been getting Voltaren Gel for the aches, sprains and pains. Works well. Ask your Doc.

I am wondering how much moisture the remnants of TS Bill will dump in the upper Midwest during my Sat/Sun travel days? Good thing I have rain gear.

I guess we will both be riding in the rain on Sunday at some point.

Oh well, a small price to pay to attend an UN! :thumbsup:

I guess we will both be riding in the rain on Sunday at some point.

Oh well, a small price to pay to attend an UN! :thumbsup:

What is all this rain nonsense? Glenn will be attending and since the START, he is our weather good luck charm. :rofl::wave:

First I'm Chief Rain Cloud, now I'm supposed to be having the opposite effect? :rofl:

I can't keep my job description straight...

Decisions, decisions, which rain gear to wear.

I don't mind a little rain but we have had some real down pours

here and in MO this spring.

I better get out plan C.

markgoodrich

I think I'm just about ready to go, just need to find some twine to tie the bike down, although I don't think I really need it; the bike should stay put by itself...it certainly knew where it wanted to be.

20150616_112543.jpg

I think I'm just about ready to go, just need to find some twine to tie the bike down, although I don't think I really need it; the bike should stay put by itself...it certainly knew where it wanted to be.

20150616_112543.jpg

That will buff out. :grin:

Don't waste good twine, duck tape will do in this case. :thumbsup:

Don't tell me, let me guess - that's where the GPS told you to go?

markgoodrich

Thanks, Bud, I was worried about the red paint on the trailer fender, good to know it will buff out. I can't find the duct tape, either. However, I think Suzanne has a new roll of ribbon she uses for wrapping presents.

markgoodrich

Don't tell me, let me guess - that's where the GPS told you to go?

I TOLD YOU Basecamp SUCKS!

First I'm Chief Rain Cloud, now I'm supposed to be having the opposite effect? :rofl:

I can't keep my job description straight...

Don't worry Glenn. I ordered a new pair of rain pants so I'm sure it won't even dare mist while I'm wearing them. :rofl:

Thanks, Bud, I was worried about the red paint on the trailer fender, good to know it will buff out. I can't find the duct tape, either. However, I think Suzanne has a new roll of ribbon she uses for wrapping presents.

You know that EffBee won't let you live that one down since it was on a Kendon. :dopeslap:

I was curious about that kendon ride up ramp.

That's the ramp provided with the Single Ride Up Kit.

The Dual Ride Up ramp looks like this:

143432305349.jpg

The original ramp is laying on top of the new ramp to show the difference in widths.

markgoodrich
I was curious about that kendon ride up ramp.

That's the ramp provided with the Single Ride Up Kit.

The Dual Ride Up ramp looks like this:

143432305349.jpg

Heck, I could fall off that one, too! What does Fernando have to do with Kendon?

I TOLD YOU Basecamp SUCKS!

I hear you! I had to use Mapsource to get Mitch's routes to go into my ancient 2720, Basecamp wouldn't cooperate. I just finished using MS to put in my very basic two day ride to the UN as well.

Mark, sorry to see that start to your UN adventure, but there's nowhere to go but up from there, see you in six days! :clap:

Archived