IGNORED

The 2015 UnRally Routes are Here!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Ladies and Gentlemen, this post contains a whole bunch of information on riding opportunities at this year’s UnRally.

Let’s get right to the golden nugget. The GPS route file can be downloaded from here:

2015 BMWST.com UnRally GPS Routes File

A GPS receiver (or a companion rider equipped with one) is strongly recommended, as there are a great many turns in each route. Having said that, printable directions and overview maps for the routes can be downloaded from here (but you will be very busy if you try to use these directions for navigating while you ride):

2015 BMWST.com UnRally printed route directions/maps file

There’s a lot of stuff to cover, so let me break it all down for you:

Day Ride Routes
NOTE: as always, to assure route accuracy you should duplicate each route, recalculate, correct any discrepancies relative to the original, and then delete the original.
There are eight day ride routes, the names of which all start with DAY. With distances ranging from 164 to 278 miles, there’s something for everyone. In addition to the length, the name of the route also lists the general direction of where you’ll be riding. One of the day rides (DAY-SW240) definitely includes a ½-mile stretch of gravel road. For the rest, I’ve done my best to avoid gravel roads, but there are no guarantees, and of course you may also encounter unexpected road construction requiring a gravel traverse/detour.

In addition to the typical road hazards, Wisconsin has a couple you might be less familiar with. If you see this:

i-CscPc5S-M.jpg

It’s a horse-drawn buggy with Amish folk aboard. The horses are used to motorized vehicles – mostly. You should pass with caution, because

OTOH, if you see this:

i-Bcv66VZ-M.jpg

Give them a wave. The Amish tend to stick to themselves, but they’re plenty friendly and can generally be counted on to reciprocate. :wave:

The Driftless Zone has plenty of arable land and lots of agricultural activity. Late June should be well past the end of planting season, but there are still no guarantees you won’t encounter hideously large farm equipment on the road. Go easy on the blind corners and rises, lest you become one with John Deere:

i-MBDsF7T.jpg

Not all gas stations in rural Wisconsin have high-octane gasoline. I’ve marked a few that I’ve encountered during my time there (91OCTANE, 93OCTANE, etc.). If you have less than 100 miles left in your tank and you come across a station with high-octane gasoline, I recommend stopping to fill up.

If you’re just looking for a quick bathroom break, many state and county parks have public bathrooms available (generally without plumbing). Some city parks do too.

Arrival/Departure Routes

If you’re traveling to the UnRally from a galaxy far, far away, you may be weary of riding on interstate highways as you get close to Wisconsin. For you, I have prepared some special one-way adventures for the last leg of your journey. Routes whose names begin with “TO” will bring you to the UnRally; routes beginning with “FR” will lead you away from the UnRally after the event is all over. These routes connect the Un with four locations:

• Minneapolis (MSP): From the route start point at the St. Croix river, it’s 136 miles to the Un via I-94. Your alternatives are 162 miles of back roads, which includes a final 20 miles via the highway – or 195 miles of backroads. The first 30 miles of these routes are kind of straight, but things get better after Elmwood. There's a very short stretch (0.2 miles) of gravel road a little ways SE of Elmwood, marked with waypoints on the GPS route.

• Madison (MSN): From the southeast corner of Madison the Un is 112 miles away via the highway. Your alternative routes are 178 miles or 245 miles. If you get a hotel on the west side of Madison, this chops 15 miles of beltline highway from each of these routes. The riding gets good once you reach the far side of Cross Plains (the first town west of Madison).

• Southern Minnesota (SMN): From the route start point on I-90 south of Lewiston, the UnRally is 81 miles away via the highway. Your alternative routes are 119 miles or 180 miles. The geography of the Driftless Zone reaches a fair distance west into southern Minnesota; these routes start right about where the Mississippi's tributaries have carved their way through the capstone, generating some elevation changes and making the road squiggle a bit.

• Sault Ste Marie (SSM): As it happens, Michigan’s upper peninsula doesn’t have much in the way of twisty roads. However, there are scenic ones – including a long stretch hugging the shore of Lake Michigan – and I’ve included them in a 451-mile route from the border crossing to the Un. About 50 miles past Menominee/Marinette the route takes you to Doc’s Harley-Davidson, which includes a classic car/cycle museum. It’s up to you whether you stop for a look or not.

The Ferries

If you’re coming from the northeast and don’t feel like crossing Michigan’s upper peninsula or driving through suburban Chicago, you have options:

• The SS Badger is an antique coal-fired steamship that travels between Ludington, MI and Manitowoc, WI. The crossing takes takes about four hours; a round-trip ticket for one adult + one motorcycle is $189.

• The Lake Express is a modern, high-speed catamaran that travels between Muskegon, MI and Milwaukee, WI. The crossing takes about 2.5 hours; a round-trip ticket for one adult + one motorcycle is $231. The 4:45PM crossing from Muskegon gets you to Milwaukee at a good time to reach Madison before sunset. Bring your earplugs; the wind gets pretty noisy up on the sundeck. :Cool:

Off-Road Riding

The Jackson County Trail System has access points as close as 8 miles from the UnRally. If you want to ride these trails, you’ll need a Jackson County use permit sticker for your bike. These are good for a year and can be bought for $20 at a number of places including (but not limited to) the Best Western Arrowhead Lodge, Black River Power Sports, or the Saddle Mound Tap (waypoints BWARROWHED, BLCKRVRPWR, or SMOUNDTAP). Those locations are 20 miles north of the Un in Black River Falls, but there is trail access near them (other purchase locations are listed here). You may also purchase your sticker at Lambert's Quick Stop in Millston (LAMBERT-QS), which is just 8 miles from the Un (and also has trail access nearby). Alternatively, you can buy your permit sticker online and have it mailed to you, in which case you will be able to hit the trail as soon as you can get to it.

Official rules for trail use are here.

Waypoints starting with "TR" denote trail system access points. There are two categories of trail:

• ATVs and street-legal dual-sport bikes (off-road bikes not allowed on these trails). There are approximately 100 miles of this type of trail, shown on this map. Trail access with tow-rig parking can be found at TR-ATV-DS1, TR-ATV-DS2, TR-ATV-DS3, TR-ATV-DS4, or TR-ATV-DS5.

• Single-track motorcycle (dual-sport and off-road bikes). This map is for an area approximately 17 miles east of Black River Falls and shows about 38 miles of single-track motorcycle trails. You can park a tow vehicle at Crawford Hills County Park (TR-ATV-DS1 ), or you can access this trail area from elsewhere via the ATV/dual-sport trail system. Trail access (no parking) can also be had at TR-DS or TR-ATV-DS6. Off-road bikes are allowed on the portion of ATV trail that connects the three singletrack trails (see map).

If you're wondering about the trails, there's a good ride tale about them over here on ADVRider.

Motorcycle Repair/Service
I have included waypoints for several motorcycle dealers and service shops in the area where the day rides are. There’s only one BMW dealer in Wisconsin (see Mischler’s, fourth on the list), but the rest should be able to help you out if you need a tire or some other quick accessory. You may want to print this list and keep a copy of it with you.

2BROTHERS: 2 Brothers Powersports, Onalaska. 608-781-3360.

ALMUTH-HD: Al Muth Harley Davidson, Black River Falls. 715-284-4725.

BLCKRVRPWR: Black River Power Sports, Black River. 715-284-2600.

BMW-BVDAM: Mischler’s BMW, Beaver Dam. 920-887-8425. This is the only BMW dealer in the state.

GEARDRIVEN: Gear Driven Performance, Mauston. 608-847-6400.

JEFFREPAIR: Jeff’s Auto & Cycle Repair, La Crosse. 608-385-6979.

KEYTIME: Keytime Motorsports, Warrens. 608-378-4290. This is the closest dealer to the Three Bears Lodge.

LACROSS-HD: La Crosse Area Harley Davidson, La Crosse. 608-783-6112.

LEISURTIME: Leisure Time Sports, Tomah. 608-372-5939.

REEL-HD: Reel Brothers Harley Davidson, Mauston. 608-847-7702.

RODSRIDEON: Rod’s Ride On Powersports, La Crosse. 608-788-4514.

S&SCYCLE: S&S Cycle, Viola. 866-244-2673.

SEYMOUR: Seymour's Cycle Shop, Alma (no link available). (608) 685-4113.

VETESNIK: Vetesnik Power Sports, Richland Center. 800-752-2556.

WINONA-HD: Harley-Davidson Shop of Winona. 563-568-3471.

Roadside America Waypoints

I’m a huge fan of Roadside America, a website that catalogs all sorts of peculiar roadside attractions ranging from the sublime to the silly. I’ve included most of the ones to be found in the Driftless Zone, and a few out-of-state ones as well. A select few of these are included in the day ride routes, but if you want to include others, you can make notes for yourself, or modify the route files as you see fit. These waypoints all begin with “RA” and are as follows:

RABALLBAT: La Crosse - At Copeland Park, there’s a sculpture of a giant baseball and bat.

RABEARSKAT: Sparta - Rudy’s Drive-in features a statue of a bear on roller skates.

RABEAVTERR: Augusta – A giant statue of a beaver holding a log.

RABEERCONE: Potosi – world’s largest cone-top beer can.

RABESSIE: Janesville – giant statue of Bessie the Cow.

RABIGFARMR: Portage – a statue of a strange, giant farmer.

RABIG-M: Platteville – World’s largest M.

RABOSSIEMO: La Crosse – a barn with a unique moniker.

RABUFFALO: Jamestown, ND – the world’s largest buffalo statue.

RACARDINAL: Darlington – a giant cardinal carved from a tree trunk.

RACATFISH: Trempealeau – a giant catfish statue.

RACAVEMNDS: Blue Mounds – The Cave of the Mounds, a natural limestone cave offering guided walk-through tours.

RACOWTRUCK: Mount Horeb – a service truck carries a statue of a cow attempting to escape from it.

RACRANBERR: Warrens – the Wisconsin Cranberry Discovery Center.

RACYCLIST: Sparta – a giant statue of a bicyclist riding a Penny-Farthing bicycle.

RADOC-HD: Bonduel – Doc’s Harley Davidson features a classic car and cycle museum. The collection reportedly includes one of the “Roadog” motorcycles.

RAEDNSTATU: Galesville – a statue of Reverend David Van Slyke, who concluded that Galesville was in fact the garden of Eden.

RAFASTKORP: Sparta – the Fiberglass Animals, Shapes, and Trademarks Corp has a yard full of statues in various states of completion.

RAFLASHCOW: Belmont – a statue of a cow flashing her udder.

RAFOREVTRN: North Freedom – Forevertron, the largest scrap-metal sculpture in the world.

RAGRANDAD: La Crosse – Grandad Bluff Park, a bluff-top city park with breathtaking views of the Mississippi river valley.

RAHIAWATHA: La Crosse – a big statue of Hiawatha.

RAHORMLCHLI: Beloit – a giant can of Hormel Chili. Don’t plan on stopping to see this; it’s really only visible from I-90.

RAHSONROCK: Spring Green – the world-famous House On The Rock, a bizarre counterpoint to nearby Taliesin. If you decide to visit, be prepared to do some walking.

RAKELSCULP: Mt. Horeb – the Keller Sculpture collection. The sculptures are on private property, but you can get a good view from the road.

RAMOONSCLP: Prairie Moon – The Prairie Moon Folk Art site, a large sculpture garden erected by an eccentric farmer.

RAMOTORAMA: Aniwa – the Motorama Auto Museum.

RAMOUSE1: A cheese shop has a giant mouse statue out front.

RAMOUSE2: A cheese shop has a giant mouse statue out front.

RAMOUSE3: A cheese shop has a giant mouse statue out front.

RAMOUSE4: A cheese shop has a giant mouse statue out front.

RAPCHICKEN: Rothsay, MN – the world’s largest prairie chicken statue.

RAPLAYER: Ashland – a scrap-metal sculpture of a Green Bay Packer quarterback.

RAPORTERPK: Montrose, SD – Porter Park, a sculpture garden.

RAPUMPKIN: Spring Green – Peck’s Farmer Market includes giant sculptures of fruit and vegetables.

RARAILDOLL: Cataract – the Little Falls Railroad & Doll Museum.

RAROADDAWG: Beloit – giant bulldog statue.

RARSTCHICK: Elk Creek – a giant plate of roast chicken is prominently displayed in someone’s front yard.

RAROCKHOUS: Fountain City – a house with a 55-ton rock stuck in it; said rock tumbled down from the bluff above in 1995.

RASALEMSUE: New Salem, ND – the world’s largest Holstein cow, visible from I-94. Located on a hilltop that provides a nice vista of the surrounding countryside.

RASIXPACK: La Crosse – A brewery features the world’s largest six pack of beer, plus a statue of Gambrinus, patron saint of beer. According to the article, Gambrinus was damaged in March, and may or may not be back on display in time for the Un.

RASQUIRREL: Norwalk – a sign in a city park proudly proclaims the town to be the black squirrel capital.

RASTURGEON: Prairie du Chien – A large wooden statue of a sturgeon.

RASUNFISH: Onalaska – Sunny the Sunfish statue.

RATALIESIN: Spring Green – The summer home and studio of famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright.

RATRIO: Black River Falls – a trio of statues – a mouse, moose, and a deer – can be seen outside the Best Western Arrowhead Lodge.

RATHORPCOW: Thorp – a small town hosts 12 life-size cow sculptures decorated in assorted motifs.

RATROLLS: Mount Horeb – in the Troll Capital of the World, the town is festooned with an array of large wooden troll statues. Try to find them all!

RAUFODINO: Hazel Green – a small collection of scrap-metal sculptures in a field set back from the road. Contains UFOs, dinosaurs.

RAUFOS: Elmwood has a history of UFO activity; Sailer’s Meats maintains a display of UFOs and aliens in their parking lot.

RAVIKING: Buffalo City – a footless giant viking statue.

RAWEGROTTO: Cataract – the Wegner Grotto, a garden filled with sculptures made of concrete and broken glass, created by a German immigrant couple in the early 1900’s.

RAWW2STATU: Bellevue – the VFW post features a life-size display of a WW2 soldier, dual-axle truck, and cannon.

OK, I’ve said enough. Looking forward to seeing you all in June. :thumbsup:

greiffster

Mitch,

Routes look great. :thumbsup: Thanks for the hard work. I'm pretty excited about the RA stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Help... Can anyone tell me how to down load these routes to my Zumo 550?? I can't see how to download to the SD card as the Zumo

memory is full. I am truly computer stupid.

Thanks in advance.

greiffster
I have basecamp but no idea how to work it.

Well, you really need to import the file into Basecamp and then send it to your device. It's not that difficult a program, just a bit quirky at times.

I downloaded to file of routes and I got an impressive listing of bicycle rides, hikes and a few bike routes all related to some trips from many months/years ago... maybe I missed something?

They did load to Basecamp but the area in Wisconsin is now completely muddled-up with waypoints, symbols and a route or two... but not certain these are related to the UN. ?

greiffster

They did load to Basecamp but the area in Wisconsin is now completely muddled-up with waypoints, symbols and a route or two... but not certain these are related to the UN. ?

It's really about file management inside Basecamp. I find it helpful to create folders for different events or areas and then you are just looking at relevant stuff instead of everything in your database.

well I got something that looks like cheese :clap: using basecamp

with a 45 minute talk with Garmin. If I don't have them I'll just follow somebody else that rides as slow as I do.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I downloaded to file of routes and I got an impressive listing of bicycle rides, hikes and a few bike routes all related to some trips from many months/years ago... maybe I missed something?

Not sure how you're coming up with bicycle rides and hikes. The file I uploaded has 22 routes and 103 waypoints. Some of these waypoints were created as far back as 2010, which may explain the dates you're seeing - but they're all related to the Un (well, all except for one little campground in Prairie du Chien that I accidentally left in there).

Are you sure you're looking at the correct file? this one, right here?

Joe, that file is different from the one at the top of the original post.

That one even has a trip someone made to Seattle or some other far West location. 2015 BMWST.com UnRally GPS Routes File

the one you just sent seems better...

thanks for all the work. This is a non-trivial contribution.

See you soon...

Joe Frickin' Friday
Joe, that file is different from the one at the top of the original post.

That one even has a trip someone made to Seattle or some other far West location. 2015 BMWST.com UnRally GPS Routes File

Very odd. The link in my post last night is identical to the link in my OP, and I haven't uploaded any new files to my website since I put the GPS file up on 4/30.

I did fly to Seattle in 2013, and had a GPS file for while we were there - but I can't imagine how any of that would have become embedded in the UnRally GPS file. Wonder if it was really mine. What sort of stuff was in there for Seattle?

well I got something that looks like cheese :clap:

Rich, does this mean it's all working OK now?

Joe, the "funky" link I refer to is the very first clickable link in your very first post in this thread.

I am not going to click that link again... since it automatically populates my Basecamp...

It might be good to give that one a try ....

I just downloaded the first clickable link and then put it into BaseCamp with no problems.

Since I've never used BC before, I will have to learn how to export those routes to my 550. Hope it is pretty easy because I'm not too bright.

Yes Mitch, I have all the routes, dealer locations and special

sights. Just don't ask me how I did it, a true miracle. Thanks for all your hard and complete work. Very thorough

as is to be expected from someone in your profession.

As a heads up to all....

Watch your speeds in the little towns you will be passing

through. Wisconsin is noted for ridiculously low speed limits

posted a far distance from the edge of town. Most of the towns

have a LEO or a county sheriff who will write you even if it's

just a little over.

WI like IL is hurting for money. I don't plan on giving any to the state coffers.

But the people of WI are very friendly. Wave as you meet pick ups. Helps build good will towards two wheelers. :thumbsup:

greiffster
I just downloaded the first clickable link and then put it into BaseCamp with no problems.

Since I've never used BC before, I will have to learn how to export those routes to my 550. Hope it is pretty easy because I'm not too bright.

Just plug in the ole 550 and BC should find it. Highlight the UN stuff and basically "send" to the device. Cake.

Plug in yes, but first Download Garmin Express and then plug the 550 into the computer with Express running.

If your device needs updating it will take care of it. If your maps are not current it will fix that too. If your map is old, it make a long wile to update it.

THEN... plug the 550 into the computer with Basecamp playing. If the map in basecamp needs updating it will read the current map from the 550 then all devices and Software will be on the same page.

Then, when the 550 shows up in your device section... click the routes etc you want installed to the 550, then hit the transfer to Device button. It will be very fast...

Sounds complicated but not really.

and if I recall you or someone else said your device might need more memory. Get an 8 gig card and put it in. The 550 will take care of allocating various things to the new space... automatic.

Joe Frickin' Friday
WI like IL is hurting for money. I don't plan on giving any to the state coffers.

Well, you should at least buy some cheese and beer while you're there. :grin:

Well, you should at least buy some cheese and beer while you're there. :grin:

I've left a lot of money in WI that way. I'm a VIP at New Glarus. I'm also a Makers Mark Ambassador. :rofl:

Plug in yes, but first Download Garmin Express and then plug the 550 into the computer with Express running.

If your device needs updating it will take care of it. If your maps are not current it will fix that too. If your map is old, it make a long wile to update it.

THEN... plug the 550 into the computer with Basecamp playing. If the map in basecamp needs updating it will read the current map from the 550 then all devices and Software will be on the same page.

Then, when the 550 shows up in your device section... click the routes etc you want installed to the 550, then hit the transfer to Device button. It will be very fast...

Sounds complicated but not really.

and if I recall you or someone else said your device might need more memory. Get an 8 gig card and put it in. The 550 will take care of allocating various things to the new space... automatic.

Thanks for an explanation that even I can follow. :clap:

• 2 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

A humble apology from your routemaster:

The dayride route named "DAY-NW203" has an error. At mile 56.1, the route I provided takes a right turn, and then U-turns after 1.5 miles.

:dopeslap:

If you plan to ride that route, you can disregard that spur and just turn left at mile 56.1.

markgoodrich

Okay. Let's jump to a ridiculous conclusion and assume I can somehow stuff the routes into my Nav 4. Now, once I get them in there, and have reviewed them in Mapsource (No, I haven't bothered to learn to use Basecamp, and no, I hope I don't have to for this trip), the question arises, which of the routes are best for sniffing flowers and cow manure, and which are best for sportive behavior of the sort for which one may receive awards? Given that I will be two up, I prefer to avoid routes which may be hazardous at speeds above 150mph.

markgoodrich

Okay, now what? I opened Mapsource, opened the gdb file, transferred everything to the Nav, and it said the routes were created using a different map set, do I want to recalculate them? I said yes. Half an hour ago. The Nav is still thinking about it. I have to buy a new bike, right?

greiffster

Garmin is punishing you for still using Mapsource.

I'd wait a while before powering down and starting over. Sometimes routes, updates, and recalcs take forever, for seemingly no reason. It's all part of the fun. :/

markgoodrich

Yay. Not really. I got only the first route. Now what? I've tried three times. I opened Basecamp and stared at it for quite a while before closing it. The routes are on my computer; I can open them in Mapsource; they're listed as 22 routes with a million waypoints. When I "transfer to device" only the one goes.

I was right, wasn't I, this is a plot to get me to buy a new bike, which I dont' want to do.

greiffster

I know just enough about Mapsource to be dangerous, but it sure sounds like it's segmenting the routes into way too many points. That's probably locking up the device. You sure you don't try Basecamp? Maybe the Mapsource experts will chime in.

markgoodrich

Griffs. ter, you've made a horrible mistake, you answered my post. Now comes the bombardment.

1. How do I even import the gdb file into BC? The Import button is grayed out. Do I have to start a new "adventure" first?

2. At this point all I want to do is transfer all Mitch's routes into the Nav. Mapsource for some reason is only sending the first map, as I already mentioned.

3. If it's convenient, I'll pick you up at the airport in Austin when you arrive to fix this problem, otherwise, I recommend Uber over the local taxi guys :wave:.

greiffster

We can fix it.

It sounds like you don't have any maps on your computer. So when you recalculate Mitch's routes, it's sends you through cow pastures since it has no roads. And thus the million points. So let's back up.

What mapset is loaded on the Nav 4? Do you have lifetime maps? Do you know what I am talking about? Is BC recognizing the device when you connect it?

markgoodrich

I may have resolved the issues. Last year a friend made a route to the UN and back, which we were going to follow, but he only made one giant route, and it caused our Navs to crash. I had deleted it, but actually it was still hidden somewhere. I used Explorer to look at all the files and deleted the route. Then I rebooted the Nav (unconnected from the computer) and asked it to import routes, and it's in the process of doing so right now. Actually, it can only import 20 routes, so I left the last two out. Apparently they are in the Nav somewhere. I'm very confused, but that is normal, so I feel better. I have no idea what is happening.

Luckily, I have a map which should get me to within three states of the UN, and from there we can ask directions. Right?

greiffster

Luckily, I have a map which should get me to within three states of the UN, and from there we can ask directions. Right?

A paper map? I've heard of these. I saw one once on TV.

markgoodrich

This is a true story: years ago, Suzanne and I were in the Smokies, and came to a Tee intersection. We had paper maps, and she was the navigator. I asked which way to turn, and she studied the map for a few seconds and said "left". I actually said "Are you holding the map upside down again?" There followed a lengthy Period of Stony Silence, made longer because I turned right. Immeditately upon our return home I purchased my first gps unit.

But that has nothing to do with the Nav problem. It would only import (from itself) 20 routes, but then at the last one, denounced me for not having enough memory and demanded I delete some data. So I deleted one more route, and there are 19 available to be viewed. The first 19. I'm sure they're the horrible routes and only the last three are worth riding. I wonder if there's a way to increase the memory?

greiffster
I wonder if there's a way to increase the memory?

Sure. Shove a bigger microSD card in there. You likely have a bunch of routes and old data on the device that you think you deleted, but are still in there clogging up your memory.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Actually, it can only import 20 routes, so I left the last two out.

Not sure which "last two" routes you're leaving out, but I'd suggest keeping the day ride routes and chucking whichever approach/retreat routes you won't be using (e.g. to/from Seault Ste Marie, to/from Minnesota, etc.).

I have an older Garmin 2610, and the maps are outdated. The unit is too old to be able to update the maps. No matter what I do, I can't get the recalculated routes to come out close to the mileage of the routes I downloaded. They take detours on different roads than on the downloaded routes. It doesn't matter how many waypoints I add to the original route. The same thing happened for START 2014, FART 2014, and START 2015. It comes fairly close to the downloaded routes. They will take me out, and then back to the motel which is close enough. they just don't always use the same roads.

markgoodrich
Actually, it can only import 20 routes, so I left the last two out.

Not sure which "last two" routes you're leaving out, but I'd suggest keeping the day ride routes and chucking whichever approach/retreat routes you won't be using (e.g. to/from Seault Ste Marie, to/from Minnesota, etc.).

Mitch, your route file has 22 routes; I just dropped the last two. Then later had to drop the next one at the bottom of the list, to be able to get the Nav to accept the info. I'll be calling Garmin tomorrow to talk to them about why I can only have 20 routes.

Thanks to whoever made the suggestion to put a bigger card in. If I can find where it goes. Maybe I can get a wifi one, and just keep the bigger card in my pocket.... :wave:

Bill_Walker

Sure. Shove a bigger microSD card in there. You likely have a bunch of routes and old data on the device that you think you deleted, but are still in there clogging up your memory.

I don't think that's his issue. The routes are ALREADY stored on the SD card. But before you can use them, you have to import them into the internal memory of the unit (this complication didn't exist on my NavII/2610, but it does on my 660, which I think is basically the same as Mark's Nav4).

Mark, you don't have to import all the routes all at once. Only import the ones you plan to use. Hell, on the day ride routes, you could import the one(s) you're going to use just before you leave the motel.

markgoodrich

Now Bill, think about what you just suggested. You know me reasonably well. If I wait until just before we leave the motel to try to import a route, we will end up just staying at the hotel until dinner time. It's taken me all day today just to get the damn thing to turn on.

I do think there's a problem with that huge file Limecreek gave me last year. It's in there somewhere, but I can't find it, despite having found it in one location and deleting it. The new SD card will allow more data, which as you point out I probably don't need, but it will clear the unit's throat.

greiffster

Sure. Shove a bigger microSD card in there. You likely have a bunch of routes and old data on the device that you think you deleted, but are still in there clogging up your internal memory.

I don't think that's his issue. The routes are ALREADY stored on the SD card. But before you can use them, you have to import them into the internal memory of the unit (this complication didn't exist on my NavII/2610, but it does on my 660, which I think is basically the same as Mark's Nav4).

True, I fixed it. On many of the Garmins, "stuff" stays in the internal memory if you only delete it from the device. To really delete them you have to clear those pesky GPX files.

markgoodrich

Sure. Shove a bigger microSD card in there. You likely have a bunch of routes and old data on the device that you think you deleted, but are still in there clogging up your internal memory.

True, I fixed it. On many of the Garmins, "stuff" stays in the internal memory if you only delete it from the device. To really delete them you have to clear those pesky GPX files.

Okay, I've got it figured out. I deleted all the old gpx files (they are in two locations, by the way). That freed up enough memory to import 19 of Mitch's routes. Now, per the Garmin OEM tech support guy, ONLY 20 routes can be imported at one time. I can transfer ALL 22 routes to the unit, but can only choose 20 at a time to import into custom routes. I could theoretically ride a route, delete it, then import one of the three, but in so doing, I permanently delete that first route. If I subsequently want that first route back on the unit, I have two choices. I can delete another route and transfer the first route from the computer, OR I can simply get a second SD card and keep the "extra" routes on it, and swap out. That way no computer is needed.

The tech said it had nothing to do with Mapsource vs Basecamp, or even the size of the SD card (4gb from the factory). There is apparently a way to use Mapsource or Basecamp to decide where you want to transfer routes and waypoints, either internal memory or the SD card. I haven't bothered with that, but perhaps that will help someone.

This thread of responses to the UnRally routes has been great for those of us that have/had limited understanding of how to load maps onto our Garmin devices. :clap:

Perhaps our BMWST Admininstrative Team might want to consider a permanent posting of this and similar "GPS/routing advice" under the Board heading of "Information and Sharing". :thumbsup:

greiffster

Perhaps our BMWST Admininstrative Team might want to consider a permanent posting of this and similar "GPS/routing advice" under the Board heading of "Information and Sharing". :thumbsup:

Noted. The topic does get a fair amount of activity.

Archived