IGNORED

The 2015 UnRally Routes are Here!

Joe Frickin' Friday

markgoodrich

Crap. Stuck the new SD card in, transferred the routes again, took hours to recalculate (Mitch, I'm using the latest set of maps, which set are you using...Nav sez routes were made with a different map set?), and now trying to import 19 of the routes into Custom Routes (or maybe it's Favorites?) almost every route gets to 99%, then presents me with this message: "The route is too long. Navigation instructions will be added as you approach the destination." WHAT THE HECK????????

And now, as the last one tried to load, unit beeped and said "Memory Full." Obviously, the routes are being imported into the internal memory, rather than the SD card.

I no longer own a shotgun, so I guess I'm stuck with the Nav and asking for advice.

Joe Frickin' Friday
(Mitch, I'm using the latest set of maps, which set are you using...Nav sez routes were made with a different map set?)

:confused: This spring I bought the latest and greatest from Garmin: City Navigator North America NT 2015.4, version 18.40. If you've got something newer, you must have downloaded it in the past month or so.

greiffster

Mark,

What map set do you have on the Nav. And what set do you have on your computer?

Crap. Stuck the new SD card in, transferred the routes again, took hours to recalculate (Mitch, I'm using the latest set of maps, which set are you using...Nav sez routes were made with a different map set?), and now trying to import 19 of the routes into Custom Routes (or maybe it's Favorites?) almost every route gets to 99%, then presents me with this message: "The route is too long. Navigation instructions will be added as you approach the destination." WHAT THE HECK????????

And now, as the last one tried to load, unit beeped and said "Memory Full." Obviously, the routes are being imported into the internal memory, rather than the SD card.

I no longer own a shotgun, so I guess I'm stuck with the Nav and asking for advice.

I've got a great route programmed in my head. (I spent over 30 years in the area.) You are welcome to just follow along and enjoy looking at the scenery instead of a GPS screen.

I've got a great route programmed in my head. (I spent over 30 years in the area.) You are welcome to just follow along and enjoy looking at the scenery instead of a GPS screen.

thats my plan :grin:

thats my plan :grin:

I was counting on you riding along Roger.

Sounds like a plan, Ed.

Personal navigator. :clap:

I can always follow another bike. :thumbsup:

markgoodrich
Mark,

What map set do you have on the Nav. And what set do you have on your computer?

I have City Navigator 2015.3 on the computer, am trying to figure out how to see what's on the Nav, can't find it yet, also am going to call Garmin later today (15 min. hold right now).

I put that 32 gig SD card in, transferred all the routes, and everything is in internal memory, routes under Custom Routes, but Favorites contains zillions of what I assume are waypoints, eg RASTURGEON.

It's hard being an idiot.

greiffster

RASTURGEON should be in there. I don't know about the other zillion.

When you recalculate, are you using a custom profile? Or are you using a known good profile used with other routes, like Motorcycle or Car?

Joe Frickin' Friday
I put that 32 gig SD card in, transferred all the routes, and everything is in internal memory, routes under Custom Routes, but Favorites contains zillions of what I assume are waypoints, eg RASTURGEON.

If you look to the post at the top of this thread (here), you'll see that I've included a whole bunch of waypoints for roadside attractions, motorcycle repair shops, and other points of interest. Many of them (30+) begin with the letters RA and denote items I found on the Roadside America website; if you are easily amused by garish folk art or historic artifacts, you may want to check some of those out.

markgoodrich

Greiffster, Mitch, I get it that all that stuff should be there, the problem is me, I haven't figured out how to push the info onto the SD card, which is causing the problems with full memory. I'll talk to Garmin today, I AM eligible for the map update Mitch has, and will download.

To all, I really appreciate the patient, informative responses.

Here is the good news. When you get to the Rally site, there will be folks there with laptops/notebooks that will be able to connect to your Garmin and make the magic happen.. :thumbsup::wave:

You really don't need it before then anyway. :clap:

markgoodrich
Here is the good news. When you get to the Rally site, there will be folks there with laptops/notebooks that will be able to connect to your Garmin and make the magic happen.. :thumbsup::wave:

I know, Bud, and that's Plan B,but dammit, I hate being defeated by a little electric box.

I know, Bud, and that's Plan B,but dammit, I hate being defeated by a little electric box.

Don't feel bad, my wife this morning told me it was bad when our 6 year old grandson had to tell me what to do so he could play baseball on the Wii. :dopeslap:

markgoodrich

So this is what I learned from a lengthy conversation with Garmin OEM support just now, some of it very surprising. What follows is specifically for the BMW Nav IV, I have no idea how it might affect other devices.

1. Internal memory of the Nav IV is so small most of it is taken up with the map files, which causes you to run out of internal memory pretty quickly, thus the issues I was having.

2. Route files are actually pretty small (All Mitch's info seems to only be about 2.8 mb, for instance). By default, routes are sent to internal memory.

3. The "Route Too Long" message I mentioned in an earlier post again is a function of the internal memory shortage, and is not a problem, as the unit will add the info as you travel the route.

4. I told the tech I use Mapsource, and he gave me some assistance on how to get routes to the SD card should I so choose, but also told me the routes are not the root cause of internal memory shortage, it's a function of the size of the map files, which were originally, when the unit first came out, about a gig, and are now more like three gigs, hogging up most of the internal memory.

4. He said that originally the SD card was intended to be used for mp3 files, photos, etc, and the maps were to be on the internal memory. Having said that, I am currently in the process of updating the software and maps to the most current version (thanks for the tip, Mitch!), and Garmin Connect defaulted to putting the new map set on the SD card...because the internal memory is too small. Actually the internal memory of the Nav IV, even if it was completely empty, is too small for the most current map set, which is around four gigs. A benefit to having the maps forced onto the SD card is it frees up a LOT of internal memory, so all the out of memory issues may be resolved.

5. THE most interesting thing he told me was the response to my comment that I should just learn to love Basecamp. He said "Don't, stick with Mapsource." He literally said Basecamp is a pain, only works sometimes with the Nav IV (which came out right about the time Basecamp did), and because it is designed to be used with a huge variety of devices for a huge variety of conditions, has to try to be all things... Mapsource on the other hand is designed exclusively for automotive (and motorcycle) use. Huh. Delighted to learn that I don't have to use Basecamp. I imagine newer devices will play well with Basecamp.

Despite everything I said here, once I got the maps updated, I tried importing 20 of Mitch's routes and...got an out of memory message. So I'll just quit trying to do something the machinery doesn't want to do, and wait until we find Wisconsin and decide on which route to ride on a given day, and import that route into Custom Routes. Sheesh.

Thanks for the very informative post.

:thumbsup:

At least you now know it wasn't your lack of effort or methods but simply a hardware/software issue.

And I'm gonna say you ARE smarter than a 5th grader. :grin:

Mark, thanks for all the work and information.

The (possibly) good news is that I like Mapsource. Basecamp is a royal pain, but your posts leave some open questions...

If you plan a route on Mapsource will it load directly to the GPS? or do you have to take it to Basecamp then load? Was there any side comment/discussion about using a Nav V versus a Nav 4?

Memory. I thought the memory card would just work seamlessly... meaning that once installed, the GPS device would just use the added memory as if it was all one big bucket.

How to you assign different things to different places?

See you in Warrens...

markgoodrich
Mark, thanks for all the work and information.

The (possibly) good news is that I like Mapsource. Basecamp is a royal pain, but your posts leave some open questions...

If you plan a route on Mapsource will it load directly to the GPS? or do you have to take it to Basecamp then load? Was there any side comment/discussion about using a Nav V versus a Nav 4?

Memory. I thought the memory card would just work seamlessly... meaning that once installed, the GPS device would just use the added memory as if it was all one big bucket.

How to you assign different things to different places?

See you in Warrens...

Yes, you transfer Mapsource routes directly into the Nav.

I don't know anything about the Nav V

I was unable to divine (or maybe I forgot) how to assign things to the two memory locations. Internal memory on my unit has 2.3gb of...something, on it, including operating system, so when I updated the map set there was not enough room on the internal memory, and Garmin Connect automatically suggested the SD card.

If you don't have Garmin Connect, download it. Connect your unit to the computer. It should tell you whether you have a software update or map update available. You can then tell Garmin Connect to install the update(s). Be sure to update maps both on the computer and the device.

Be careful about following any suggestions I make, everything I've said is as I understand it, which does not make it correct.

I thought the memory card would just work seamlessly... meaning that once installed, the GPS device would just use the added memory as if it was all one big bucket.

hopz,

Not any of the Garmins I've seen. When you USB them into the computer, there is definitely 2 "drives" that show up. One is the internal memory and the other is the SD card.

On a Zumo 450 or 550 for example, the internal memory is 1.2GB which is too small for the latest "Lower 49" maps (about 1.8GB). But those units will take a 16GB SD card. I have the mapset loaded on the SD card, and the routes, waypoints, etc. on the internal memory. Like Mark mentioned, that stuff is really pretty small.

markgoodrich

I thought the memory card would just work seamlessly... meaning that once installed, the GPS device would just use the added memory as if it was all one big bucket.

hopz,

Not any of the Garmins I've seen. When you USB them into the computer, there is definitely 2 "drives" that show up. One is the internal memory and the other is the SD card.

On a Zumo 450 or 550 for example, the internal memory is 1.2GB which is too small for the latest "Lower 49" maps (about 1.8GB). But those unit will take a 16GB SD card. I have the mapset loaded on the SD card, and the routes, waypoints, etc. on the internal memory. Like Mark mentioned, that stuff is really pretty small.

Hopz, from your point of view, yes, you can probably assume they work seamlessly. It's not something you need worry about in most cases. I'm guessing your new bike has the Nav V. Your maps are already in there. Anything new you load should go to one drive or another, depending on (I'm guessing) file type and size, e.g. mp3s will all go to the SD card, routes will go to the internal memory. Note the current latest map set is available via Garmin Connect. Mitch's routes use that set. I had updated earlier this year and thought I had the latest, but sometime recently they updated them again.

I'd forget about it and just go to the UN, like I should have done.

Mark... I dug around in my desk drawer and found an older 2GB micro SD card. I thought that was great but I had to call OEM Support on another matter and asked the fellow about the card.

I always thought the SD card basically just joined the memory party and treated the sum of the parts as all one big memory set... not the case. As you surmised, they are two different entities and you load to a specific destination/card.

The better news is that on the 14/15 RT the Nav V has close to 6, or was it 8GB of memory so it can contain the current lower 48 maps and a bit left over.

He also said it was not really needed unless I wanted to load music on the SD card. I don't want or need that so I put the card back in the drawer.

The Nav V is happy, I am too.

See you soon.

Thanks Ed.

IN!

After years of using only the most rudimentary capabilities of my Nuvi, I downloaded Mitch's routes and started plugging them into my GPS.

Let me acknowledge publicly that Mitch is a God. :clap:

After years of using only the most rudimentary capabilities of my Nuvi, I downloaded Mitch's routes and started plugging them into my GPS.

Let me acknowledge publicly that Mitch is a God. :clap:

Oooh. Upper case deification. Impressive! :thumbsup:

Archived