IGNORED

Harley to BMW? Why

TracerBullet

I'm in process of moving back to HD after 9 years on BMW. Love my BMWs, but wanted a change of flavor. The trick in my case is going to be separating the machine itself (which I actually kinda like, although I've only put on 150 miles so far) from its image and especially from the Harley "scene," which repulses me totally. We shall see if I am successful or not.

-MKL

I'm in process of moving back to HD after 9 years on BMW. Love my BMWs, but wanted a change of flavor. The trick in my case is going to be separating the machine itself (which I actually kinda like, although I've only put on 150 miles so far) from its image and especially from the Harley "scene," which repulses me totally. We shall see if I am successful or not.

-MKL

Good luck. I tried and was unsuccessful. So now it is back to BMW after two years with HD

I've been riding motorised bikes of various kinds since I was 6 years old - none of which were Harleys - most were Japanese. I finally said, "I'm in America, let's go for an American bike."

I went to a Harley-Davidson event this weekend here in Orange County, bound and determined to "fall in love" with a Harley. I test rode one which was smaller than the one that I was looking at (looking at 2015 Road Glide Special - test rode one more sized for me - 2015 Sportster 1200T SuperLow)... I just couldn't. Firstly, my inseam is short at 29". Those forward controls on most Harleys are horrid for me. Secondly, a 170 pound person with 29" inseam has no business on a 400 kilogram (roughly 900 pounds) bike. Thirdly, I couldn't stand the low engine speed. It just seemed so unnatural. Even with the Sportster. There was no way I was getting on the Road Glide. The people at Orange County Harley-Davidson, however, are fantastic - and I'll more than likely buy tons of apparel and other non-bike stuff there. However, they now know that I won't be getting a bike as I so succinctly described the riding experience as "very tractor-like."

To BMW I went... now I'm waiting for the shocks to come in so that I can be on the road with a 2014 (or 2015... depending on timing) R1200RT. I sat on one and absolutely fell in love. Wowzers. The BMW was so much more refined than the Harley. Harley-Davidsons have their purpose. I don't think it is in my garage, unfortunately.

Reading this entire thread has confirmed what I had already suspected.

This is my second post. I'm glad to be a part of such a great community, and I can't wait to be on one of these bikes!

I've been riding motorised bikes of various kinds since I was 6 years old - none of which were Harleys - most were Japanese. I finally said, "I'm in America, let's go for an American bike."

I went to a Harley-Davidson event this weekend here in Orange County, bound and determined to "fall in love" with a Harley. I test rode one which was smaller than the one that I was looking at (looking at 2015 Road Glide Special - test rode one more sized for me - 2015 Sportster 1200T SuperLow)... I just couldn't. Firstly, my inseam is short at 29". Those forward controls on most Harleys are horrid for me. Secondly, a 170 pound person with 29" inseam has no business on a 400 kilogram (roughly 900 pounds) bike. Thirdly, I couldn't stand the low engine speed. It just seemed so unnatural. Even with the Sportster. There was no way I was getting on the Road Glide. The people at Orange County Harley-Davidson, however, are fantastic - and I'll more than likely buy tons of apparel and other non-bike stuff there. However, they now know that I won't be getting a bike as I so succinctly described the riding experience as "very tractor-like."

To BMW I went... now I'm waiting for the shocks to come in so that I can be on the road with a 2014 (or 2015... depending on timing) R1200RT. I sat on one and absolutely fell in love. Wowzers. The BMW was so much more refined than the Harley. Harley-Davidsons have their purpose. I don't think it is in my garage, unfortunately.

Reading this entire thread has confirmed what I had already suspected.

This is my second post. I'm glad to be a part of such a great community, and I can't wait to be on one of these bikes!

That's kind of odd as HDs work better for short people. I know Victory's have a low seat too, but better suspensions that HDs. You might want to take a look at them. I'll also add a sportster doesn't weigh 900lbs.

That's kind of odd as HDs work better for short people. I know Victory's have a low seat too, but better suspensions that HDs. You might want to take a look at them. I'll also add a sportster doesn't weigh 900lbs.

It wasn't the Sportster I was interested in (too underpowered), it was the Road Glide Special. I'm actually not that short - I'm 175cm/5'9", but I'm short-legged. I'm not comfortable with anything of that significant of weight where I have to be on my tip-toes to balance it before I take off, then there is the whole brake-clutch-throttle-foot-lift-balance coordination issue from a stop when I'm on grades upwards of 15%, which are quite common here in Coastal California. Then, there is the engine speed issue. I'm used to cruising around 5000 RPMs. There is never any way I could get used to the roughness and vibration of the Harley. The torque was nice, so there was that...

I looked at the Victory bikes. They're quite nice.

Ultimately, the BMW fit me like a glove, and the biggest thing which should influence someone's purchase decision is how comfortable they are with the bike they're on. If one is not comfortable with it, then how can one be confident that they can manoeuvre it when all of the inattentive imbeciles are out in the cages pounding away at their iPhones at 50% over the posted speed in the HOV lane? :rofl:

-MKL

Moshe, if the "scene" is the problem but you desire the style of bike, why not try a Victory, Indian, Star, et cetera? Since nearly every HD is a cruiser style bike but not every cruiser is a Harley......

Just a thought.

If your short your better off on a hd.

OK, wanna tell us why? :eek:

MB>

Well, they are lower for one and there are more low models this year to boot. I was surprised when I test rode an Ultra how tight the ergos are. My guess is that they are designed for people 5'10 or less.

I am in the camp that has one of each. The HD (2013 RK) eats the miles with glee on the interstate but also handles well too! On the other hand, I ride my BMW (2007 K12GT) when anticipating a predominately twisty route or day of riding. Each carry my gear with no complaints and each have been dependable. Different day....different bike!!

-MKL

Moshe, if the "scene" is the problem but you desire the style of bike, why not try a Victory, Indian, Star, et cetera? Since nearly every HD is a cruiser style bike but not every cruiser is a Harley......

Just a thought.

The "scene" is not a problem for me because I don't participate in it at all. I was drawn to a particular Harley (the Switchback) and slowly fell in love with how it looks. I haven't really "fallen" for other cruisers. They usually don't interest me at all.

Now I own it. I've put 800 miles on it since last Friday. To put it mildly, there's a bit to do before I'm happy functionally, but it'll get there. I'm not daunted because I was expecting this, especially coming from such a stellar platform as the RT. So, suspension, seat, luggage, lighting, ergos, instrumentation, brakes.... hell, the whole top end of the motor, while we're at it - you name it, I'm swapping it. I'm going to make it "mine," which is part of the charm of buying a crude blank canvas like a Harley.

-MKL

After riding HD for 35 years, I decided I was tired of paying a high price for 1930s technology (V-Rod excluded). Not to mention all the HD riders and their costumes. I jumped on a brand new 2006 K1200S and never looked back. I'm on my 3rd BMW now.

• 1 month later...

I ride a lot and have been doing so for a long time. Current primary bike is an HD Ultra Classic I bought new 12/03. Getting ready to click over 87,000 miles. Tried an R1100 RT in 99 and put 22,000 miles on it, never could get comfortable, different seat, different risers, just didn't work. Just picked up an R1150 RT-P. Can stay in the saddle about 40 min before it is time to get off. I can go 8 hrs on the HD, I get off every other fillup, and am fine. I may be a bit different in how I use the HD, my front tire is down below the tread bars on the sides, and still plenty legal in the middle.

I traded with a buddy for an afternoon a couple of weeks ago and rode his Road Glide while he had my RT.

I enjoyed it very much and so did he. I'd get another HD if the right one came along at the right price.

I'd get another HD if the right one came along at the right price.

Well, Come on Down! You're the Next Contestant on The Price is Right! :grin:

2008_7_come_on_down.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsb658c238.jpg

Great bike if you ride it as intended. :thumbsup:

Pat

Rich06FJR1300

currently have had an FJR1300 for 8 years now....i test rode an Indian Chieftain at a local NJ dealer...but man, its like you're sitting in a lounge chair...feet are so far forward and on the FJR they're so far back...would take a while for me to get used to...plus the price tag...$23k! yikes! I'd have to really sit down and think about it before i make the switch.

currently have had an FJR1300 for 8 years now....i test rode an Indian Chieftain at a local NJ dealer...but man, its like you're sitting in a lounge chair...feet are so far forward and on the FJR they're so far back...would take a while for me to get used to...plus the price tag...$23k! yikes! I'd have to really sit down and think about it before i make the switch.

If you've never ridden a cruiser, it can be an adjustment. I rode two different cruisers before coming to the RT and standards before that. The RT is more like a standard than a sport bike. The FJR wouldn't work for me, too sporty for my back and neck. That said, the downside of the lounge chair is that all your weight is on your butt and if you don't have padding on or around the tailbone, it's gonna hurt after awhile. It's the biggest complaint I had about my nomad, even with a mustang seat.

I entertain getting a cruiser again, but after a thought experiment, I am not sure how all the extra weight is a benefit and in most cases, the lack of suspension travel, particularly with HD. I love the way they look, but I don't know if it's worth it.

Rich06FJR1300

i did ride a harley roadking back in 2005 (rented one) and i swear it put me in traction! LOL...i couldn't ride for 3 days after i rode it around on a few day trips (out in colorado). I can't believe it was the bike that did it, maybe it was the bed i was sleeping on, but whatever, the WORST back pain i have ever experienced!

i did ride a harley roadking back in 2005 (rented one) and i swear it put me in traction! LOL...i couldn't ride for 3 days after i rode it around on a few day trips (out in colorado). I can't believe it was the bike that did it, maybe it was the bed i was sleeping on, but whatever, the WORST back pain i have ever experienced!

I haven't ridden that HD of that vintage, so I don't know. I did ride a 2010 ultra and the ride was ok, but I wouldn't want to ride it on rough roads. Dean Lear, who owned BMW of San Jose bought a 2014 Road King. He loves it for what it is and rides that bike faster than most, but it's not his only bike and that's where I would be, which is that a HD would be a nice addition, but since I can only have one bike, it has to be able to do it all, which is a tough test to pass.

I rented a Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic in the summer of 2012 to tour the weat coast fjords of Norway, it was a kind of test run cause I 'knew' I wanted a Harley. Bought the RT that winter...'nuff said.

Archived