IGNORED

Anyone going to Torrey XXVII May 2014...

Twisties

**   Chris   **
Bullett and I are officially out. Called Michelle a few hours ago to cancel. She said the cancellations are pouring in. Sad.

Wow, that's sad!

JerryMather

If anyone's on the "fence" about going to this and never has, you should read THIS.

It's a wonderful ride tale by a member that really captures what this ride and place are about and why we love it there.

I can crash anywhere....and have...from tent to garage to floor! I'm riding 2300 miles out in 2 days... I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Nice to see you have not changed in the 10+ years I have know you! :grin:

Bob Palin
I can crash anywhere....and have...from tent to garage to floor! I'm riding 2300 miles out in 2 days... I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Nobody has signed up for the spare bedroom here yet (apart from the mice)
Calvin  (no socks)

I would take the room, but I have already committed to the spare room with L & L.....just sayin! ;-)

Nobody has signed up for the spare bedroom here yet (apart from the mice)

We were actually considering caging it out to see you all again . . . until I found out that Leslie has a concert on the 18th. :-(

Y'all have fun, now, y'hear?

JerryMather

We'll this is it, the Torrey gathering has already begun for some folks and will soon begin for the others.

I wish you all a safe and pleasent ride up to one of my favorite riding spots. Say hello to the Austin family for me and have a great time this weekend with our fellow members.

It again looks like it'll be another hot ride through the Vegas area this time. Leave early or late in the day to avoid that brutal heat.

**   Chris   **

I hate to see this, but this could be one of the last Spring Torrey's.

There are only about 10 riders. The Chuckwagon parking lot is full of cars.

So is it a fluke? Bad timing? Bad weather?

Or is the end near?

JerryMather

I hope that this is just a fluke & we'll continue to have a Spring Torrey in the future. Making it up there twice a year seems to be a non starter nowadays & the Fall Torrey can be stunning if they get a cold snap prior to the gathering. The trees turning color around there is pretty impressive.

The Web Cam shows us that the weather up there today seems perfect.

You would think that with over 3K views on this thread that more people would be there. Hopefully more will show up later today and tomorrow.

I'm glad the ChuckWagon was able to fill their rooms from all our cancelations. Having the UN out West this time was certainly a factor. The North meets South event, I don't think so much, although it's getting bigger it still draws pretty much the west coast crowd and Torrey draws people from everywhere.

So is it a fluke? Bad timing? Bad weather?

Or is the end near?

Well, here's my two cents, for whatever it's worth.. um... which I guess is about two cents.

Perhaps having the UN-rally in a few weeks made some people have to choose between the two events.

Riding across the Colorado mountains for Torrey gatherings is always a hit and miss proposition due to the weather. Torrey gatherings are held on the "shoulders" of the mountain riding season, and the weather in the mountains often doesn't cooperate. It can very cold and windy, or even snowing. Since we can't really count on good weather, we can't plan much ahead. Of course, that isn't an issue of everyone, just for a few of us.

We have been to several Torrey gatherings, and enjoyed them. But for me personally, I would rather use my limited vacation time to go to different locations, rather than the same place every year (or twice a year). While I enjoy southern Utah, I would prefer a change of scenery now and then. I'm sure not everyone feels this way, though. I think there have been discussions in the past about moving around a bit, and I know that takes a lot more coordination and planning effort. So I am not saying that this should happen. Just pointing out one of my reasons for not going lately.

Anyway, that's my two cents...

Participation has been steadily declining. I think it's around or under 30 in the Spring for a couple of years now. The vast majority of those attending, nearly all, are no longer regular participants on the board here, and are long time comers. Maybe one or two newbies.

Fall has been slightly larger, but the overall picture is the same.

I would vote for once a year in the fall.

We are still in Torrey from Mn since Thursday.

We rode the Staircase twice,fish lake and a few trails.

This is nice and glad we came. We brought a Polaris wheeler too,

So we'll head SE Utah for some of that if it runs..

It's Temperamental this year but our R1200 is perfect and likes the hills.

Thanks for hanging with us, guys from NM,Ca,Fla,Tx.

It looked like 30 some bikes around town staying here.

Anyone heard who crashed Sat.? We heard 2 bikes.

Happy Day,Lew & Anita

**   Chris   **
Participation has been steadily declining. I think it's around or under 30 in the Spring for a couple of years now. The vast majority of those attending, nearly all, are no longer regular participants on the board here, and are long time comers. Maybe one or two newbies.

Thanks a lot!

I can never make the Fall event!

Why would anyone need to "vote"? Just come when you can.

While small in numbers this Torrey was great. Until the wind came up today, Sunday, it was the best weather I've experienced at Torrey. It was 60 degrees this morning with just a gentle breeze. That is not a typo. 60 at 7:00 AM in Torrey in May!

Why would anyone need to "vote"? Just come when you can.

While small in numbers this Torrey was great.

+1 :thumbsup:

Make your reservations if you think you will come, just be mindful of the fact that if you cannot make it for some reason, try to give the Chuckwagon or whatever place you are reserved at some advance warning so they can make up the bookings.

Calvin  (no socks)

I came across the country to visit a few friends... With minimal planning and no expectations....I came away mentally cleansed and thankful the spirit still lives in Torrey. It's not about the roads or bikes.......

I came across the country to visit a few friends... With minimal planning and no expectations....I came away mentally cleansed and thankful the spirit still lives in Torrey. It's not about the roads or bikes.......

Bingo!

I hope that this is just a fluke & we'll continue to have a Spring Torrey in the future. Making it up there twice a year seems to be a non starter nowadays & the Fall Torrey can be stunning if they get a cold snap prior to the gathering. The trees turning color around there is pretty impressive.

I should be there next year. For sure I'm doing fall and booked, but barring unforeseen circumstances I normally make Spring. Only reason I didn't go this time was the timing being so close to the UN. I couldn't do both and hadn't done an Unrally in years. That may have been one of the reasons this Spring Torrey was smaller this time if other people had my same problem. I agree there's no need to limit this to one or vote. People that can do spring will be there and people that can do fall will be there. This doesn't have to be a 100 person event to happen. I actually like the smaller group because it got too big and unmanageable at one point when we had over 100 there.

it got too big and unmanageable at one point when we had over 100 there.

There's management? :grin:

Of course there's management. We managed to have a good time didn't we?

Of course there's management. We managed to have a good time didn't we?

Yes we did!

I should be there next year. For sure I'm doing fall and booked, but barring unforeseen circumstances I normally make Spring. Only reason I didn't go this time was the timing being so close to the UN. I couldn't do both and hadn't done an Unrally in years. That may have been one of the reasons this Spring Torrey was smaller this time if other people had my same problem. I agree there's no need to limit this to one or vote. People that can do spring will be there and people that can do fall will be there. This doesn't have to be a 100 person event to happen. I actually like the smaller group because it got too big and unmanageable at one point when we had over 100 there.

I think that 'splains it for me as well. Spring Torrey is awesome, but this year it's just too close to the Un, and I haven't been to an Un since Topaz Lodge (Lake Tahoe). I'll be there in the Fall, and have plans to make both Spring and Fall in 2015, when the Un will be back east.

roadscholar

I think that 'splains it for me as well. Spring Torrey is awesome, but this year it's just too close to the Un, and I haven't been to an Un since Topaz Lodge (Lake Tahoe).

There was a guy in Salida with a remarkable resemblance and similar attributes, witty, good-looking, old. :)

I think that 'splains it for me as well. Spring Torrey is awesome, but this year it's just too close to the Un, and I haven't been to an Un since Topaz Lodge (Lake Tahoe).

There was a guy in Salida with a remarkable resemblance and similar attributes, witty, good-looking, old. :)

:clap::rofl::thumbsup:

:clap::rofl::thumbsup:

I'm seeing things...

**   Chris   **

Well said! I've never been able to stay for a long period of time. This year might have been the shortest. Then again, the time spent there is always enjoyable and just part of the whole trip.

Next year I'm going on one of Bob's tours!

Archived