IGNORED

Death Valley 2007!

KMG_365

[ Who's the dumbass leading a ride into the snow?

Well, I'm not quite sure, Howard, but if you follow the link and look at the pic on Smugmug, it has a caption that says "Howard and Denny lead on". Could that be a clue? grin.gif

What I want to know, is what kind of dumbasses would follow somebody like that? At least we can be sure none of them could have possibly been dumb enough to do it again! lmao.gif

Thanks again for a couple of fun rides! In truth, I'm amazed that Steve managed to snap a picture while riding his bike on the snow!

Bill (who was about 3 bikes behind the photographer)

Who's the dumbass leading a ride into the snow?

Probably that guy who led that slow ride at Torrey that one time.

smile.gif

Oh. That dumbass. dopeslap.gif

We'll work on lodging.
John, not sure what you mean by that, but you do know that we are working out a deal for us all to be together? We haven't even announced where, in or near DV, we will be yet.

I'm not sure what I mean either. smirk.gif I'll keep watching the thread.

I would like to attend this ride what does it consist of. I have never made a ride with anyone from California and I want to know what this trip looks like. I am really excited about gettingto know a new area.

Leslie pretty well summed it up a bit further up in this thread (click here), but if you want to read more of my crazed ramblings--I mean, "Excited Chatter": wave.gif

Purpose: Basically, it's an excuse to get together to ride a stunningly beautiful and geologically unusual area and share at least parts of it with a bunch of other fun people. We gather at a designated hotel that the recon group has determined meets the goals of the ride and suits the basic needs of the participants. We try to determine a realistic number of participants to negotiate a good group rate and then everyone is on their own for lodging.

Dates/Times/Planning: Some come early and stay late, but most arrive on Friday night and stay until either Monday morning (if they have MLK day off and live within a day) but some (usually about half) head home Sunday morning. We arrive for a loosely arranged "reception" on Friday night--usually with some sort of food and drink close by (for the latecomers). For early arrivals, they sometimes hook up in small groups to find a nice dinner destination. The first night we get a chance to mix and mingle, meet new friends, put faces to "handles", talk about our bikes (and farkles! thumbsup.gif ), talk about what kind of rides we have planned (if anything at all yet), or try to hook up with others who have the same sort of idea of a fun time or who want to see the same sorts of things.

Saturday everyone heads out in groups from one to a dozen or so and explores the amazing country. We usually have a plan to gather for dinner together to swap lies and compare stories at a place that can keep us all mostly together. Again, the focus is on riding, socializing, networking, sharing "The Love", and generally "face-ilitating" [(sic) grin.gif ] the "on-road" part of our "On-Line, On-Road Motorcycling Community's" Mission Statement. grin.gif

Sunday either looks just like Saturday, or some say their good-byes at breakfast and head home. Sunday's group dinner is usually a bit of a smaller, quieter affair (if Richard had to leave that morning! lmao.gif ) and like Saturday night, some head to bed early and some stay up FAR too late enjoying each others' company! grin.gif

Like most BMWST.com "gatherings" there is no strict agenda--"graydude" will torpedo whatever plan your group decides on anyway, so you might as well save your time. tongue.gif (LOVE ya, buddy! grin.gif ). Many folks post threads here to the Planning Forum to either solicit ride route ideas ahead of time, try to hook up for roommates, or find other riders who are looking to do the same sort of riding or see similar things. The variety is very wide--some folks try to plan everything down to the minute and others just show up on Friday and play it by ear. For those who have never been to Death Valley before, I would suggest coming a day early if you can, or at least starting Saturday morning at the excellent Visitor's Center at Furnace Creek. They have an excellent video presentation that will give you some idea of what there is to see and a large variety of displays and overviews to give you some sort of idea of how the National Park and the surrounding area is laid out.

Riding: Unlike the Eastern third of the US, there are not a million roads to choose from that take forever to get an inch or so across the map. You basically choose the direction you want to start and/or the things you want to see and pick from a few choice routes to connect the dots. There are a wide variety of maps at the Visitors Center as well as helpful rangers there to answer your questions.

Some ride out to, room at, and ride during the Death Valley Daze completely solo doing their own thing and just getting together with others for dinner. Some bunk up with SO's, old riding buddies or with new found friends. Folks coming from the same area often arrange rides out to the hotel together. Many riders hook up for group rides to particular destinations like Scotty's Castle or for an event like the wonderfully unique "vaudeville" show at the Amargosa Opera House on Saturday night (tip: buy your tickets EARLY--by phone would be best or on the way in--as it can already be sold out by Friday night).

Some riders hook up for fast, far rides (sometimes even over high, snow covered passes! eek.gif ), and some get together for lazy sightseeing trips, or photo caravans to some of the amazing photographic opportunities. Some "dirty sorts" connect for back road excursions, as there are as many (or more!) miles of dirt roads as there are paved ones in the greater Death Valley area. For those who live for the perfect photo, sunrise at Zabriske Point is a perennial favorite, as is Artists' Pallette around late afternoon as the setting sun brings out the variety of colors on the "Pallette". GS and other dirt riders should definitely check out "Titus Canyon" in the north end of the Valley heading towards Beatty, NV for a real treat, as well as exploring the "West Side Road" to formations such as the aptly named "Devil's Golf Course"! The salt pans at Badwater are something you don't see every day and the Hoons among us will appreciate the "Blast Over the Panamints" to Lone Pine, CA for lunch followed by the "Long Way Home" or even the "Snow Route". eek.gif

Some ride a thousand miles or more to get there, some from just a few hours away, some brave harsh and unpredictable winter conditions to ride the whole way, and some trailer out of their snowed-in home states to ride in shirt sleeves and show off their tan lines to their office mates and neighbors the next week. Some bring motorhomes, some bring pick-ups, some bring tents, some bring their favorite beverages to share and some bring their own coffee (hint to the coastal residents: we ARE staying in Nevada . . . which is close to Utah . . . and Texas . . . 'nuff said! dopeslap.gif )

Be aware, however: Death Valley is larger than it appears! The fun part, though is that it's very easy to cover the largely wide open spaces quickly and most BMW's will be able to cover the vast distances with elan . . . and frequently a good deal of velocity! You might want to either install those electronic countermeasures you've been thinking of asking Santa for, or ride behind a veteran with a red "A" visible (or not! wink.gif ) on the front of his/her bike somewhere--you'll get used to hearing the familiar "mating call of the BMWSportTouring.com rider": "BEEP-BOOP, (beep-boop) . . . dee-DEE-dle-DEET!". cool.gif

If you've been wanting to wire in those Autocoms, GPS's, bike-to-bike radios, etc. (if you're into that sort of thing) this would add another awesome "demention" [(sic) grin.gif Dang! I crack me up! lmao.gif ] to group Sport Touring. Our default frequency is FRS/GMRS Channel 2 (with no, or "0" sub code/side tone). Be VERY careful ogling farkles on others' bikes here . . . as this way lies MADNESS!!!! dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

If you have a bike with a smaller tank/range, or if you like to wick up your K-bike, plan your routes and gas stops accordingly. Don't say I didn't tell you as it's a long walk back! thumbsup.gif

Also, if you've never ridden in a group before don't be afraid to ask questions about group riding, what routes/roads you'll be taking, rest/gas stops, average and/or top speeds (unless you're riding with PhillyFlash, in which case just hang on tight! blush.gifgrin.gif ). Whatever group you decide to join, try to let someone know if you have to/want to leave the group so they don't waste time searching for you if you disappear. Usually most experienced groups will have a designated sweep rider that can pass it on. It's a big desert and we're relying on each other out there! dopeslap.gif

And finally, riding in Sport Touring groups like the kind you'll find here (there are some EXCELLENT and highly skilled riders here . . . I am not one of them! tongue.gif ) can tempt one to push one's riding envelope. Be conscious of your comfort level, your skill level and other considerations like fading light/darkness, proper gear for the weather, and especially fatigue if you've never logged a few thousand miles in a weekend. The weekend will be what you make it, and the fixin's are pretty damn awesome, but YOU are responsible for your own fun and for riding your own ride! Be a Hoon if you like, just come home safe with lots of wonderful memories, write-up some entertaining Ride Tales and posting lots of stunning and/or humorous pics would be a PLUS!! clap.gif

Let's Moto!!!!! cool.gif

Crickey!!!! The election season must be over, huh?

Hey, let's find a way to take this and put it somewhere for all to see.

You've done a great job at catching a snapshot of what this community is all about.

Pedro for President!!!!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Whoa, great job Jamie, I get a little busy with Flu Shot Clinics and i come back to the monitor and 5 pages go by, I can;t wait till January, Uh , I am packed already. grin.gif

Please don't jump on lodging until azkaisr has had a chance to make and announce arrangements. If you haven't already, please go ahead and answer his Lodging Questionnaire here. It will make the wheeling and dealing that much easier.

SaddleWest was where we stayed for the pre run but may not necessarily be the place for MLK Weekend.

O.K. where is the group staying and what are the dates?

Yeah, Wanda called me from the Saddle West just now so you must have called her. We haven't settled on a place yet. I am still negotiating with a few places. She did have the dates wrong as well so thanks to you, we have that snafu taken care of.

As soon as I get to a reasonable headcount, I will work a deal with the best locale and then announce the location where we are staying. Not trying to be secretive, just trying to get us a good deal.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...
texasaggie97

Does anyone need a roommate? I would like to make this trip leaving Friday and returning Monday. Please let me know if you need a roommate if not I will look into a place to stay. PM me if you would like a roommate.

Blessings Todd

BeniciaRT_GT
Does anyone need a roommate? I would like to make this trip leaving Friday and returning Monday. Please let me know if you need a roommate if not I will look into a place to stay. PM me if you would like a roommate.

Blessings Todd

Todd,

You might want to check out this post:

link

Thread is here:

Thread

I thin there will be a few more cancelations this week.

Archived