IGNORED

Death Valley 2007!

KMG_365

It took me 2 days of staring at the thread title before I opened it. Something to do with 113 deg and thunderclouds overhead blocked my neurons from looking at anything related to "heat". Yeah, yeah, I know. We're talkin' about winter. I wasn't dropped THAT many times as a baby!

Is anywhere in Pahrump suitable and/or in the running?
We did check out Pahrump on last year's PreRun. As our ride started out as a split-off from the original one held at Furnace Creek in Death Valley proper it had that "middle of nowhere" feel. When we first moved our ride out of the valley to Beatty it was a worth while compromise. Beatty felt even smaller than Furnace Creek (with all the holiday crowds) and the Exchange Club had the perfect situation for our group. Though the EC is out for the time being, we've been trying to get back to that "primitive" feel ever since--while still providing the minimum support for the group's needs.

The extra distance of Pahrump to the Valley floor (and the Sierra's! thumbsup.gif ) was a concern as was the large, sprawling more impersonal feel. While it is hardly a metropolis, many on the Recon Team felt that the more generic atmosphere (strip mall's filled with national brands, etc.) would change the "experience" of the ride even more away from that "old west" frontier "feel".

Pahrump is not out of the running entirely, as it is a neat little town and it does have all the amenities needed. It's just for me personally, I'd rather exhaust other closer, more "homey" feeling locations first (even if it takes some extra organizing effort) before we--out of necessity--move even farther from the attractions we all come to see.

ashleybiker

All I can say is thanks to you who worked on putting DVD together this past January. To me, the Longstreet was pretty much as advertised by the organizers. No surprises.

At the end of a long ride and then getting blown around by that wind, all I needed was a simple clean room and a hot shower. The Longstreet delivered on those basics for me.

If the Longstreet ended up being selected as HQ again, I would still be happy to attend. I would just make darn sure the person at the reservation desk faxed me a written and signed room confirmation. ooo.gif

The Longstreet was okay. I agree the reception spread wasn't that great but maybe they'll do better next time. Oh yeah - could've done without the band too. Karoke would be better. Instead of money for a band maybe the owner could put the money toward a better reception spread or better beer. grin.gif

oh and "in".

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, the Pre-Run Ride dates have been announced HERE (clicky)!!

If you'd like to have a vote in where the group ends up next January and help us to plan another "Mother of a blowout", clear your calendar and . . . come on along and join Alexander's Rag-Tag Band of Pre-Run Riders . . . for that last fun desert winter group ride of 2006 . . . before the crazy holiday season decends upon us! eek.gifgrin.gif

• 2 months later...

Wow!! Has it really been two months since we talked about this? blush.gifgrin.gif

Tom (azkaisr) is assisting with the reservations and we need to get a head count for booking a group rate. If you're planning on joining us, please RSVP here (number of people in party and any other important details) and we'll try to get a block of rooms set aside together for us. thumbsup.gif

The Whips are in....

If we find a place that costs more than $50 Killer won't need a roommate....he'll be out in the cold/wind again. lmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

The Whips are in....

If we find a place that costs more than $50 Killer won't need a roommate....he'll be out in the cold/wind again. lmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

Ha ha. I already have a roommate, I will not be repeating my near death experience from last year, at least not the one in the tent grin.gif
The Whips are in....

Whip

Ha ha. I already have a roommate, I will not be repeating my near death experience from last year, at least not the one in the tent grin.gif

grin.gifthumbsup.gif

IN!

I have been following this thread for a while, and have been toying with the idea of joining you guys!

Now it is about 3000 miles to DV from where I live.

I have gone to Bike Week for the last 4 years running. Although some years I could have ridden the whole way I have to be concerened about it snowing and being able to get back home. I usually end up trailering down to Lexington Ky. and then ride the rest of the trip.

So the question is, as I have never tried to ride across the US during winter, is it possible to ride from Kentucky to Death Valley being fairly sure that conditions will be ok. Dont really care about the temp just ice and snow!

So what do you think!

Any idea on a route? Will Interstate 40 be ok at that time of year? or do I need to go farther south!

Sounds like it could be entertaining!

I have been following this thread for a while, and have been toying with the idea of joining you guys!

Now it is about 3000 miles to DV from where I live.

I have gone to Bike Week for the last 4 years running. Although some years I could have ridden the whole way I have to be concerened about it snowing and being able to get back home. I usually end up trailering down to Lexington Ky. and then ride the rest of the trip.

So the question is, as I have never tried to ride across the US during winter, is it possible to ride from Kentucky to Death Valley being fairly sure that conditions will be ok. Dont really care about the temp just ice and snow!

So what do you think!

Any idea on a route? Will Interstate 40 be ok at that time of year? or do I need to go farther south!

Sounds like it could be entertaining!

I-40 can be good or bad depending on the weather. In the Southwest, we get our winter rains/snow from Pacific storms that roll in from the Northwest Pacific. I-10 would be the better way to go if you are looking better conditions.

While some will raz you, there is no problem if you want to trailer out to the site, or even here to AZ and ride.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Trailering at least part of the way is a good idea. Even if there's no snow, it could be very cold and windy in the northern half of the US for your whole trip. I wouldn't want to ride across the country in January on I-70 or further north. Too iffy. If you want to ride, I-40 might be OK, but I'd watch the forecast very carefully, and probably a few times a day. I-10 is far enough south that it rarely is a problem with winter weather. If you trailer, as long as there are no bad storms, you should be able to use almost any route west (and back east).

Well the goal would be to trailer as little as possible! After all the reason to go is for the ride! thumbsup.gif

Are there any areas along I40 that are more prone to storms that time of year?

I10 would probably be better but I guess that I could try the 40 and if needed go farthur south!

Now I just need to convince the wife that I need to go! eek.gif

Don't forget about I20....

Immediatly after attending DVD 2006 I traveled on the RT from DV to Eastern North Carolina. I picked up I10 at Phoenix then split off I10 onto I20 in Texas. I stayed with I20 all the way through Atlanta GA. It was a great ride.

I did not stay with I10 because of the hotel availability issues caused by Hurricane Katrina. Also, It is less likely than I40 to be closed for snow. If the weather turns colder you can always drop down to I10 anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I will be able to go. I have to check with the wife seeing that we will be taking off for a cruise the following weekend. grin.gif

You should take note that from about Seligman, Az. to Tucumcari, NM which is about 500 miles it can range from about 3.5K feet in elevation, 7K feet in Flagstaff, Az., and about 5K in Tucumcari, NM. It is basically a big plateau so I would definitely be careful in that area in January.

• 2 weeks later...

OKAY!!!!!!! Here's the latest count! We're working on securing a group rate, so if you want to join us and stay with the group, please respond here so we can get enough rooms.

SEE YOU IN JANUARY! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

1) Leslie "Les_is_more"

2) Jamie "KMG_365"

3) Todd "graydude"

4) George "George_LT"

5) Joan "Mrs George_LT"

6) Greg "ghaverkamp"

7)Bill "Bill_Walker" (if his wife and daughter will let him come! eek.gif )

8) John "JB-BMW"

9) Linda "Mrs. JB-BMW"

10) Glen "Gleno" (at the Ranch)

11) Terri "Mrs. Gleno" (with the rest of us! thumbsup.gif )

12) Marty "Marty Hill"

13) Steve "Dances_With_Weiner_Dogs"

14) Mike "MikesToy" (at the Ranch with Gleno)

15) Bill "Tank"

16) Jerry "JerryMather" (down at the Ranch with Gleno and MikesToy tongue.gif )

17) Phil "pdegnan"

18) Carole "Mrs. pdegnan"

19) Larry "Whip"

20) Louise "Mrs. Whip"

21) Richard "BeniciaRT_GT"

22) Norah "norah"

23) (Russel "RusselW"? wink.gif )

24) John "arizona RT" . . . staying somewhere else smirk.gif

25) Bob "Killer" (on the fence)

26) Greg "flyingreg"

27) Thad "Macamoose"

28) Phil "1bmwfan"

29) Jamie "2bmwfan"

30) Steve "Beagler"

31) Cindy "chrisolson" grin.gif

32) Cindy "Mrs. chrisolson"

33) Joel "Joel"

34) Heidi "Dinkee"

35) Bob "Shaman97"

36) Jackie "UffDa"

37) Don "mrduck"

38) Cornelis "riding buddy of mrduck"

39) Paul "GelStra"

40) Russ "RCS"

41) Tim "bakers_rt"

42) Steve "ashleybiker"

43) Nancy "gottago"

44) Gary "Mr. gottago"

45) Michael "SageRider"

46) Andrew "HandyAndy"

47) Tom "azkaisr"

48) Howard "PhillyFlash"

49) Andrew "HandyAndy"

50) Tom "tbloomq"

51) (friend of "tbloomq")

52) Rob "Crazy_Canuck"

53) Keith "keithb"

54) Mary (Mrs. "keithb")

Ok just sat down with Lori and matched her calendar to the dates and we are a GO! Friday to Monday. So Tony and Lori in!

We are also willing to split a room with 2 queen beds with anyone wanting to do that. KILLER?????

OKAY!!!!!!! Here's the latest count!

I think you'd better count me out. Both their birthdays are that weekend. I'm not even gonna ask.

OKAY!!!!!!! Here's the latest count!

I think you'd better count me out. Both their birthdays are that weekend. I'm not even gonna ask.

Hey, no guts - no glory! eek.giftongue.giflmao.gif

I usually ask anyway because I know they WANT me to leave - lol. blush.gifdopeslap.gifbncry.gif

can someone fill me in on the details? I am up in sacramento and I have ridden through death valley many times. Its nice dwon there. I have been to Laughlin for the rally in april may times. I have never done it in January. any group of riders going down from the northern california area? I can just take 99 south from here.

The only real details at this point are that the ride takes place on MLK weekend, Jn 12-15. Most people will arrive sometime Friday. Some will leave Sunday and some will leave Monday. Lodging is being arranged (not in the valley, too costy and full). Click here for azkaisr's lodging questionnaire.

Other details? --a great bunch of folks getting together for riding, laughing and good times in a beautiful place. clap.gif

Hope to see you there. thumbsup.gif

By the way, check with 1bmwfan , who's riding in from Diamond Springs up in your neck of the woods.

can someone fill me in on the details? I am up in sacramento and I have ridden through death valley many times. Its nice dwon there. I have been to Laughlin for the rally in april may times. I have never done it in January. any group of riders going down from the northern california area? I can just take 99 south from here.

You can ride down with Jamie and I!!!

Let us know your schedule- you'll be going past Baja Northfork and we might wanna meet up with ya!!

Heck & the Missus...

Will do!!!!

Here's your challenge. Talk Tena into joining everybody. She's never been to Death Valley. I don't think she gets it.
Hi John and Tena! (where've you guys been? wave.gif )

Challenge? Challenge? Hardly a challenge, but where do I start? What kind of riding/touring/sightseeing do you like to do?

High speed sweepers?

Pan2.jpg

Pan3.jpg

Check. (thanks, "George_LT" for the pics! thumbsup.gif )

Amazing broad vistas?

12946011-L.jpg

2210921-L.jpg

Check.

PICT1506-s.jpg

PICT1509-s.jpg

Double Check! (thanks to "bakerzdosen" for the pics! cool.gif )

High speed sweepers through amazing vistas?

2210909-L.jpg

Check! thumbsup.gif

Tempting dirt roads leading off into the back country?

12946022-L.jpg

Check.

Need some help with your ride route?

52702131-M.jpg

We can help with that too! Check! (thanks, Tom "SNC 1923" for the pic! smile.gif )

Want some interesting glimpses of frontier history?

52702384-M.jpg

(thanks, Tom "SNC 1923" for the pic! smile.gif )

12946028-L.jpg

Check.

Other Intriguing bits of history?

53374460-L.jpg

Check.

Seeing beautiful flora:

14501559-L.jpg

14501585-L.jpg

14501588-L.jpg

44251102-L.jpg

And perhaps some interesting fauna?

44251176-L.jpg

44251082-L.jpg

44251123-L.jpg

Having a "tasty burger" at the lowest golf course in mid January . . .

14501587-L.jpg

. . . and having to take your jacket off because it's so warm and sunny?

53374452-L.jpg

Check.

Relaxing on the patio:

44251042-L.jpg

Enjoying the view:

44251133-L.jpg

And the amazing sunsets?

44251055-L.jpg

Check. Check and Check.

Stumbling upon some antiques from days gone by?

53374527-M.jpg

53374444-M.jpg

53374548-M.jpg

Check.

Checking out lots of bikes and more farkles than you can shake a stick at?

55220291-L.jpg

Check. (Thanks to Joel of "Team Schnauzer" for the pic! thumbsup.gif )

Hiking out onto the salt flats at midnight under a full moon with a few riding buddies?

53374472-M.jpg

Check.

Riding up to the snow?

53374529-M.jpg

Check.

Or INTO the snow? eek.gif

52922521-L.jpg

Check. dopeslap.gif (Thanks to a "certifiable" "steve404" for the pic! dopeslap.gif )

Doing the tourist thing at the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere?

14501572-L.jpg

Check. (Say, aren't those guys on the WRONG COAST?? eek.gifclap.gif )

Exploring old Ghost Towns?

12946013-L.jpg

Check.

And abandoned mining encampments?

14501568-L.jpg

Check.

Seeing fascinating sandstone and other geological formations?

52726707-L.jpg

52726745-L.jpg

52726892-L.jpg

52726873-L.jpg

(Thanks, Tom "SNC 1923" for the AWESOME pics! clap.gif

2210941-L.jpg

Check. Check. Check. Check. And Check! cool.gif

Going to the "Opera" . . . in the MIDDLE OF FREAKIN' NOWHERE??

53374522-L.jpg

53374543-L.jpg

53374519-L.jpg

Check.

Seeing an 82 year old "Prima Ballerina" who still performs her own original shows (yes, even "on point" blush.gif ) to a sold out house EVERY SATURDAY NIGHT as she has since 1967, and getting her to autograph her book for you?

53374535-L.jpg

Check.

Sampling the "local colo(u)r and atmosphere"?

53374515-L.jpg

. . . and turning your nose up at it?? Check. lmao.gif

Seeing the lines of trucks on the interstate from a safe distance?

12946030-L.jpg

Check. thumbsup.gif

And sharing it all with some of the nicest folks you'll ever ride with?

110628327-L.jpg

Check.

2210898-L.jpg

And DOUBLE Check! clap.gif

I would like to attend this ride what does it consist of. I have never made a ride with anyone from California and I want to know what this trip looks like. I am really excited about gettingto know a new area.

Oh, he's good!!! clap.gif

Check!! thumbsup.gif

Well done.....I think he likes it in Death Valley....maybe the Chamber of Commerce should hire him to make a calender....it seems the thing to do these days.(Only trouble is he uses other peoples pix)

Whip

Wow, that's quite a bit of work by Jamie, so in the absence of a "Ride Planning That Lasts" forum I've preserved it in per-per-per-petuity (without the emoticons which didn't copy, so it is Haverkamp safe)

Hopefully it will load a bit faster from there as well, SmugMug seems to be getting slower and slower, as is Amazon in my experience (they use the same storage farm, I do too, but only for backups)

Here's your challenge. Talk Tena into joining everybody. She's never been to Death Valley. I don't think she gets it.
Hi John and Tena! (where've you guys been? wave.gif )

Challenge? Challenge? Hardly a challenge, but where do I start? What kind of riding/touring/sightseeing do you like to do?

YIKES! Talk about hard sell!! I'm ready, and I think Tena will be IN, too. We'll work on lodging.

The only bugaboo is that I have a meeting on that Saturday morning. Sounds like I'll have to figure out a way to miss it...

And Jamie, we'll fill you in about our X-country trip when we see you.

We'll work on lodging.
John, not sure what you mean by that, but you do know that we are working out a deal for us all to be together? We haven't even announced where, in or near DV, we will be yet.
russell_bynum

Who's the dumbass leading a ride into the snow?

Probably that guy who led that slow ride at Torrey that one time.

smile.gif

Death Valley must be experienced to be believed.

Archived