IGNORED

CHP switching to Harley Davidson

upflying

I don't know why they picked HD. It is a city department. They don't have highways to patrol.

Here's what one of our members, who is a motor officer, had to say about that -

I've ridden both. HD is a better city enforcement bike, BMW is a better highway bike.

I do recall that the officer had a half helmet with the radio ear piece. I also wear a half helmet so that stuck in my mind.

You wear a half helmet like this? I didn't realize LEO agencies were still buying these.

halfhelmet_zps249d817b.jpg

I wear this full helmet..not as good as a full face helmet but maybe someday.

fullhelmet_zpsf6347ff1.jpg

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I tested a HD FXRP, I think, back in 1993. I was riding the venerable KZ1000P at that time and really liked that bike except on the freeway....buzzy.

Did not like the HD much at all due to the lack of surface feel. The KZ was setup hard enough that you could really feel the grip level in the asphalt. The HD broke about an hour or two into the test and I had to take somewhere downtown San Jose for a fix. Couldn't figure out why everyone on the freeway was going so slowly until I saw I was pushing 85. Oops, two cylinders vs four. It was smooth on the freeway.

I do recall that the officer had a half helmet with the radio ear piece. I also wear a half helmet so that stuck in my mind.

You wear a half helmet like this? I didn't realize LEO agencies were still buying these.

halfhelmet_zps249d817b.jpg

I wear this full helmet..not as good as a full face helmet but maybe someday.

fullhelmet_zpsf6347ff1.jpg

Sorry Bob, every agency in New Jersey uses the half helmet. I don't think I've seen one agency in the Tri-State area using a 3/4 helmet.

Also included up in Northern NJ, you know the cities, is the required half burnt cigar and chew! :) That cigar lighter on the Electra Glide is required equipment. Almost NO ONE uses anything but H.D. around these parts.

The cold seasons are coming quickly! Wind burnt face and all!

For entertainment .... Chattanooga Motor School.

Music from CHiP's, Harleys and half helmets.

More entertainment from my alumni.

Bob, did you look at the specs for 2014 HD. Getting there?

Bob, did you look at the specs for 2014 HD. Getting there?

I don't think the HD will do as well on the high speed course.

I've ridden both. HD is a better city enforcement bike, BMW is a better highway bike.

And you are correct, lieutenant/captain/chief bean counter bureaucrats do not care what the motor officers would prefer to ride.

What makes you think iHD would be a better city motorcycle? I hated the HD for city use, hot, vibration, performance, no electrical windshield, etc....... I loved the 10 years I rode the BMW and hated the 5 years on the HD..........

Hate the dry clutch and clunky transmission. Your turn.

Haha, one of those post, were we will just go around and around.........LOL

And you are correct, lieutenant/captain/chief bean counter bureaucrats do not care what the motor officers would prefer to ride.

What makes you think iHD would be a better city motorcycle? I hated the HD for city use, hot, vibration, performance, no electrical windshield, etc....... I loved the 10 years I rode the BMW and hated the 5 years on the HD..........

Hate the dry clutch and clunky transmission. Your turn.

Haha, one of those post, were we will just go around and around.........LOL

I bet when the WC RT-P comes out those issues won't be issues. More power too.

Good CHP video. I like the one comment ...

Most people who buy a busa or a zx14 have no idea what they're buying and don't know how to ride well. All a chippie motor has to do is light you up and watch the crash.

As the CHP officer said in the video all motorcycles they purchase are run thru that course. I have to assume that they put the HD thru its paces before the purchase order was issued. I sure would like to see that test.

I assume I'm not the only one who noticed that when the camera was mounted on a bike, the bike was an RT?

I assume I'm not the only one who noticed that when the camera was mounted on a bike, the bike was an RT?

I saw it too...I guessed they were the instructors.

I've got nothing really new to add here, but next to oil, tire, and final drive (@#$@!! :mad:) threads, yet another "CHP choses {BMW/KAWA/HARLEY} for their new standard motor" thread is as good as any other entertainment on bmwst.com. :rofl:

The fact that the CHP has been trying to return to the Harley fold for over eight years may reflect tight budgets, persistent marketing by HD, or the fact that someone senior in the evaluation process rides HOGS and won't be denied.

I'm not biased against HD's (I have two in my garage, not mine, but still, they're there :grin:), but I just don't see how a HD works well for the CHP at 70-95 mph on California freeways. A C14, Honda, heck, even a VStrom would be better, IMHO. As far as the excuse that "no one else bid", if that is the case, could only be because the Californian powers that be wanted no other bids.

To put a point on it, if my son were a CHP motor officer today, I'd be imploring him to get back into a car before accepting a HD for his motor duties. If feel that strongly, that the HD's will put the officers at increased risk.

- Scott

"Kawasaki must "really" not want to be in the authority motorcycle market. But what of Honda and BMW? Are the abandoning that market too?"

I assume BMW is still making the standard police motorcycles for Europe and a good part of the rest of the world. No? Francois?....

"Kawasaki must "really" not want to be in the authority motorcycle market. But what of Honda and BMW? Are the abandoning that market too?"

I assume BMW is still making the standard police motorcycles for Europe and a good part of the rest of the world. No? Francois?....

We tried Honda, but they could have cared less if they sold a police motorcycle. The dealer didn't know how to get it and the Corp wasn't very interested once the dealer reached out. I would not buy a motorcycle from a business who does not care if they sell them or not. What does that say for future service of their machine?

BMW dealer was very, very good with their service, but they are too far and few between. Lack of close dealers alone could be a deciding factor for any agency that doesn't keep a full time, BMW specific mechanic on staff.

That leaves HD, with a dealer on every corner and a company who really tries hard to sell their product to the Police. When deciding you have to take all factors into consideration, not just pure performance.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Just got paced by one on Hwy 50. They're going to take a bit of getting used to. Thought it was a city guy and didn't worry too much. Definitely CHP though.

Just got paced by one on Hwy 50. They're going to take a bit of getting used to. Thought it was a city guy and didn't worry too much. Definitely CHP though.

Highway 50 is up the road a bit from the academy in West Sac. All the new bikes go there before being sent out to the field offices. Bet that Chippee was an academy motor instructor taking it on a ride on Highway 49 between Placerville and Auburn. All motor training and test rides take that route.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Probably but before they issue a contract, they have to have something to test and I doubt they're not going to buy what they test.

Seen a couple EVOC cars going to and from the folsom area over the past few years. Might be either an instructor or a Sup.

Ours went north on 49 from 50 and stopped in Cool for food. I think that place is gone now.

Yep, I figure it was a break-in, joy ride by an instructor who had some time to kill. I remember that cafe in Cool, that's where we trainees stopped for lunch.

We tried Honda, but they could have cared less if they sold a police motorcycle. The dealer didn't know how to get it and the Corp wasn't very interested once the dealer reached out. I would not buy a motorcycle from a business who does not care if they sell them or not. What does that say for future service of their machine?

BMW dealer was very, very good with their service, but they are too far and few between. Lack of close dealers alone could be a deciding factor for any agency that doesn't keep a full time, BMW specific mechanic on staff.

That leaves HD, with a dealer on every corner and a company who really tries hard to sell their product to the Police. When deciding you have to take all factors into consideration, not just pure performance.

This what happened to us. We loved the BMW but lost the dealership, and then shortly the motorcycle. Went to Honda and they had no clue they sold police motorcycle, but do you blame them. The police market is so small why spend money when they sell cars and other products.

This what happened to us. We loved the BMW but lost the dealership, and then shortly the motorcycle. Went to Honda and they had no clue they sold police motorcycle, but do you blame them. The police market is so small why spend money when they sell cars and other products.

Are you using the Harley now John? Do you have any of the 2014's yet??

Saw the first CHP HD yesterday. Parked at what is known as a highway patrol sub-station (commercial scales) southbound I680 in Walnut Creek, Ca.

Saw the first CHP HD yesterday. Parked at what is known as a highway patrol sub-station (commercial scales) southbound I680 in Walnut Creek, Ca.

Did it look like a HD, or was it a "real" looking CHP motorcycle? :rofl:

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Did it look like a HD, or was it a "real" looking CHP motorcycle?

Looked halfway between an old large fairing HD and a newer smaller fairing HD. I didn't make him until he changed lanes with me. Just figured it was another HD coming down the hill.

Archived