IGNORED

Gerbings Heated Products

Jack Herbst

Do not buy from this company. No longer answering phones or doing business. Company was bought by Prospect Brands in North Carolina. No phones or business address.

I bought Jacket Liner, Dual Portable controller and gloves from them eight weeks ago. Used it once for one hour and it burned up. Have been trying unsucessfully to get them replaced for eight weeks. Now what. I think I am out $500.

Buyer be ware!

Jack

Don't panic- it looks like they'll be back to normal soon enough.

I'm no Gerbings insider but from what I've heard around NC, they came up short of capital in the manufacturing move to NC from WA and had to hunt some extra cash to cover cost over runs- which explains the apparent sale to raise capital. And Gerbings has had logistics problems for a very long time- being a small company not well equipped to handle manufacturing in China with all of its attendant scheduling and financial issues- so perhaps they've always been too short on capital.

They haven't been able to fill their trade orders for this Christmas selling season and notified dealers of their issues. One local dealer got only about 5% of what they ordered and I'm sure that problem has happened at many other dealers.

But I suspect a little patience for the legal process and some cash flow will fix this problem.

FWIW, I've been involved in fixing screwed up manufacturing moves more than once in my career though I'm now retired. Virtually everyone who wants to move a plant and has no prior experience doing so screws up- they never allow enough time or $ and then have to spend even more to fix the mess. Only the big boys and those smart enough to pay experienced folks and do what they say is necessary make manufacturing moves look easy. (Just contemplate hiring and training a whole new work force which you can't do until after all your new or moved machinery is in place and working. Even if you've got the US mint's money supply, it ain't a simple or fast job and has thousands of possible problems to address). I can guarantee to you from my personal experience its easier to build from scratch than to relocate an existing operation..

One big problem they now have is missing prime winter selling time for heated gear- so it will take extra cash to cover the missed opportunity. Hope they figured that in...

Jack,

I failed to provide you any useful ideas about dealing with your problem quickly.

If Gerbings can't get stuff right for you in a hurry, perhaps you can deal with it inexpensively yourself, especially if its the controller. You can plug the jacket into a 12V source and see if it heats OK- if it does but doesn't with the controller, then you know th controller is bad. Anyone's controller will work though it needs a matching plug. I used a WarmNSafe battery remote controller with my Gerbings for a couple seasons. You might find a used controller on e-bay or elsewhere should you want to purchase one as a quick replacement.

Gerbings had a rash of quality problems, too, with a recent China shipment, I'm told but has always fixed those issues, though sometimes slowly. I expect the new owners won't want to tarnish the brand they're investing in because in effect that's about all they getting purchasing a cash strapped/ low inventory company. Their response may be slow but I expect that over the longer haul the product and service will improve- and I'll be prices go up about 15% or so, too.

Thanks all. I did talk to Tom Nolan the new CEO and have been promised the replacement controller and jacket liner three times but have yet to recieve it. After eight weeks and extreme frustration I have notified the Attorney Generals office in North Carolina. (Roy Cooper is the att. Gen.) They will look into it and will contact me this week. Too bad I bought it two weeks before the move to another state.

The company was going downhill when Jeff Gerbing began running it in Olympia, WA. The only reason Prospect Brands LLC bought it was because there is an underlying military contract that may be worth something.

Since Jeff Gerbing decided to outsource manufacturing to China several years ago to make more profit the company has been going downhill. All it got him was poor quality control, an inferior product and breaking the company.

I used to live thirty miles from Union WA where the product was started in Gerbings home and garage and had visited and watched the product grow from there.

I suspect Gerbings and its new home will not survive. What a shame. After riding for sixty years I finally decided to try a heated jacket and gloves. Wished I would have known a little more before I made my choice. I would have bought another brand. Question: what will others face with warranty and repair now??

Jack

Jack,

What you say about Gerbings matches what I know but I hope you're wrong about their future.

Running a small company on China-manufactured goods isn't easy. I've sourced enough different things from various parts of Asia to understand all the issues and China is particularly difficult- much of their staffs are incompetent cheats by Western stds and the only way to get what you think you're buying with any high degree of certainty is to oversee operations with your own ex pat staff. That is not at all necessary in Thailand, Japan or some other places and less necessary in Singapore, etc.

People don't know what they don't know and I'd bet Gerbings had no idea what he was in for by that choice let alone how to handle all the issues.

At one firm, our guy who dealt most directly with issues at Chinese suppliers was a particularly blunt and savvy Korean by birth. He got better results than anyone else did because he had no reservations about telling suppliers it was his way or the highway and making them believe it. Not many Westerners use that approach but it works.

Tom Nolan's bio makes clear he has no useful experience running a manufacturing company or in the clothing business- he's a magazine guy apparently. And the other VC folks don't seem to have more than general business expertise either though they've made some other pretty good investments. Many times, folks like that take / strip what they can then dress the rest of the pig for a quick flip to someone more directly in that business who has all the needed skills and interest.

IU have been a satisfied customer for years.

But have not bought from them recently so don't know what is up/

That said, since the board owner works (?) or did work for Gerbings I would temper criticism with more patience as they have contributed to many over the years and indirectly to this baord for a long time.

If they have messed up, my experience with them showed they always tried to make it good.

If they can no longer do this, it will be a sad loss to this community and a blow to motorcycle industry.

I for one will give thme the benefit of the doubt until FB

tells us otherwise.

He may be impacted negatively by all this and wouldn't want to see that.

I've had a heated jacket from Gerbings for the last ten years, no problems. Also bought a used controller from someone on this board years ago, no problems. Always thought of Gerbings as a quality product.

The owner of the local BMW dealership has all Gerbings gear on closeout and has gone to Warm n Safe. He told me he couldn't get inventory due to the Chinese manufacturing problems and the move to NC. He seemed hopeful that it would get better, but he needed inventory to sell.

If I may. I guess in situations like this, it's a ripe field for people to throw out opinions as if they were fact. But here are some real facts.

Gerbing's is on more solid ground today than it has ever been. Our acquisition by Prospect Brands, run under CEO Tom Nolan, is a fantastic move and our future is brighter than ever. Tom has an extensive background in manufacturing and apparel, having managed and driven a division of Ralph Lauren/Polo to a twenty-fold increase in five years. His leadership, and the financial support of our new investors means that we're going places that are going to amaze and astonish people.

As for Gerbing's past history, it is one of growth, and our business relationship with China was good, the products were good, Gerbing's cemented its #1 position with those products, and our reputation was, and is, stellar.

However, the decision was made to bring manufacturing back to the U.S., and to put jobs back into the hands of Americans. This was a tremendous and worthwhile undertaking. But the building of a new factory found us behind schedule. Tom Nolan and Prospect Brands are turning that around. USA-made Jacket liners are flying off revamped manufacturing lines as you read this. Shifts are running round the clock to get caught up with the tremendous demand these USA-made products have created. Additional products have also fallen behind because of high demand, and those are now arriving. Like I said, everything is moving forward at warp speed, but we still have a bit of rough road to get through

Among the many changes is the transitioning of Customer Service to North Carolina. That's taking place now, and like all such complex moves, it's encountered a hiccup or two, but will be running smoothly in short order.

Gerbing's is a strong company and has never been under more qualified leadership or better funded to fully capitalize on its expanding popularity and demand. Its future is beyond bright.

If I may. I guess in situations like this, it's a ripe field for people to throw out opinions as if they were fact. But here are some real facts.

Gerbing's is on more solid ground today than it has ever been. Our acquisition by Prospect Brands, run under CEO Tom Nolan, is a fantastic move and our future is brighter than ever. Tom has an extensive background in manufacturing and apparel, having managed and driven a division of Ralph Lauren/Polo to a twenty-fold increase in five years. His leadership, and the financial support of our new investors means that we're going places that are going to amaze and astonish people.

As for Gerbing's past history, it is one of growth, and our business relationship with China was good, the products were good, Gerbing's cemented its #1 position with those products, and our reputation was, and is, stellar.

However, the decision was made to bring manufacturing back to the U.S., and to put jobs back into the hands of Americans. This was a tremendous and worthwhile undertaking. But the building of a new factory found us behind schedule. Tom Nolan and Prospect Brands are turning that around. USA-made Jacket liners are flying off revamped manufacturing lines as you read this. Shifts are running round the clock to get caught up with the tremendous demand these USA-made products have created. Additional products have also fallen behind because of high demand, and those are now arriving. Like I said, everything is moving forward at warp speed, but we still have a bit of rough road to get through

Among the many changes is the transitioning of Customer Service to North Carolina. That's taking place now, and like all such complex moves, it's encountered a hiccup or two, but will be running smoothly in short order.

Gerbing's is a strong company and has never been under more qualified leadership or better funded to fully capitalize on its expanding popularity and demand. Its future is beyond bright.

Sounds like you have an investment to protect. What is your relationship to Gerbings? Your reply sounds like you are part of Gerbings. Most all the people I knew with Gerbings has been fired.

I am sure if the shoe were on the other foot you would not respond this way. You are dead wrong about the qualified leadership and funding of Gerbings. Tom Nolan, the new CEO has personally promised me on the phone and follow up emails three times that replacements would be sent. I have not recieved any as of this writing. I am not saying he is not trying but he can't produce. If all that new US made gear is flying out of the new plant it is not flying my way. After a $500+ investment in their products which failed miserably (burned up) and eight weeks trying to get them warrantied with no response but promises, you would feel exactly the same. No customer service and failure to respond to warranties is what fails most businesses.

Jack

Paul In Australia

Dear jack

Settle down mate. Your opinions have been noted but not necessarily fully shared by all.

I hope you get your warranty part and all is well. No point in ranting on any more. Especially about personalities you really aren't fully up to speed on .

All the best for Christmas and hope you have a really safe new year.

Best regards

Paul

"Sounds like you have an investment to protect. What is your relationship to Gerbings? Your reply sounds like you are part of Gerbings"

Jack, you have not read the bottom line of EffBee's post.

tallman,

My comments and speculation about Gerbings are not in any way intended as a personal criticism of Gerbings or the company and I really hope they come out OK. Who wouldn't want to ee a modernized Gerbings operating in NC?

Like you, I use some of their gear and it works fine but does have some oddities (Sizing being one of them).

Many companies encounter problems when making bold steps trying to secure their future. Living in NC, I know people formerly in the textile industry who have had capital issues while trying to set up to compete with cheap Asian labor in low end goods. Much of the clothing sold today at places like Old Navy and many others is so cheaply made it would have been unsaleable or discarded 30 years ago but it is the norm today.

"Sounds like you have an investment to protect. What is your relationship to Gerbings? Your reply sounds like you are part of Gerbings"

Jack, you have not read the bottom line of EffBee's post.

You are correct Paul I did not click on the link "I work Here". I thought this to be so as I read his comments.

I also read he has 12,713 posts. More than anyone on any forum that I have ever been on! Not sure if thats good or bad.

My intent is to prevent someone from having to go through what I have gone through the last eight weeks with still no end in site.

I hope that Gerbings does survive. I lived thirty miles from where it started and have been to their home when the company was in its infancy in Union WA. After sixty years of riding and finally willing to try heated gear naturally I chose Gerbings. Had I known what I do now I would have chosen another brand.

I have served on many boards for companies in all capacities and owned four of my own. Customer service and product quality are the only two things that drives a company to lasting success.

Jack

Joe Frickin' Friday
I also read he has 12,713 posts. More than anyone on any forum that I have ever been on! Not sure if thats good or bad.

Yeah, his post count is getting up there. Almost as high as mine. :grin:

Jack

Fernando has been a moderator on this board since just about day one. He is the current owner. If you go back and read this thread perhaps you will see that you've been a wee bit heavy handed, especially in light of assumptions made.

Tom Nolan, the new CEO has personally promised me on the phone and follow up emails three times that replacements would be sent. I have not recieved any as of this writing. I am not saying he is not trying but he can't produce. If all that new US made gear is flying out of the new plant it is not flying my way. After a $500+ investment in their products which failed miserably (burned up) and eight weeks trying to get them warrantied with no response but promises, you would feel exactly the same. No customer service and failure to respond to warranties is what fails most businesses.

Jack

I am curious as to how you were able to escalate a warranty claim all the way up the chain to the owner?

Gee Mitch, another gratuitous post just to escalate your count.

Shameless...

I'm coming for you Bounce.

:rofl:

"I lived thirty miles from where it started and have been to their home when the company was in its infancy in Union WA. After sixty years of riding and finally willing to try heated gear naturally I chose Gerbings. Had I known what I do now I would have chosen another brand."

I went to school down the road in Shelton and still live within 30 miles of their original facility. I bought my first liner from them at the factory and it served me well, but in no way was it up to the quality manufacturing level and function of my current Gerbings unit.

At the last International Motorcycle show I purchased at full retail price one of the last Jackets (not liner) made in China. The Gerbing rep was great, told me up front that they were moving the jacket operation back to NC and that there would be a significant gap between now and actual product hitting the retailers. I wanted a cold weather jacket, and could easily have purchased a first Gear Kilimanjaro or Aerostitch Darien jacket and used one of my Two (2) gerbings liners. I decided I wanted a winter jacket (yea I know winter and Atlanta should not be used in the same sentence) and I really liked the gerbing jacket. So yes I took a gamble on the product. I have followed Gerbings move to NC and all the issues they have had. But for some reason when I see a company hire people like Fernando, I just think they have a better than average chance of being successful. Even as a "run out" I still got the full Gerbing warranty on the jacket. I have worn it about everyday Nov - now, and other than wishing the zipper was a little bigger/heavier ( I have large hands) I am very happy with my decision.

Again I was very impressed with the Gerbing sales rep at the show. She never hesitated to note this jacket was made in china, and that production it was moving to NC. She also noted there may be some design changes in the new model and that Gerbing was going through a lot of changes.

I truly do not understand how your problem has not been resolved. I realize it does not matter if 10,000 user post that Gerbing is awesome, you have only one reference and that is your experience. But I do hope Gerbing makes you whole. I am very lucky; I have 4 pieces of motorcycle gear

Roadcrafter

Motoport

Gerbings

Arai

Every one of these has exceeded my expectations. My roadcrafter I think is on year 7 (looks new) motoport is now year 9, and my Gerbings Liners are around year 4 maybe 5. Arai I change out every three years on principle.

The price kills me up front, but by year 5 it has long been forgotten. My only change would be, due to change in jobs and lifestyle, I would change my Roadcrafter for a Darien. I think the Darien would work better for me now.

Again I hope you get fully refunded and move on to something you find acceptable. Until this post, if you had asked for recommendation, I certainly would have listed Gerbings as a top tier vendor.

You still have a ways to go to catch Russell.

True, Mitch, but people read his posts..... :wave:

Jack,

I hear your frustration. I've had some recent trouble with Gerbings gear, too, but have always found them more than responsive to making things right.

Fernando is a sterling dude and Gerbings is lucky to have him....as are we!

I guess maybe I expect to much. The OP stated his problems with Gerbings. Taking him at face value, he has recieved poor customer service and reported that. Now people are busy sayin that they love Gerbings and that the OP should understand. According to the OP, Gerbings has promissed to make good several times but not delivered. If they are having problems and can not make him whole, don't promise it. Tell him up front that it will be sometime, not make promisses they are not keeping. The OP has currently spent $500 for usless gear and it appears to him that he is not going to be compensated. How about a little sympathy for him. Again, maybe I expect to much, like something that works for $500.

I guess maybe I expect to much. The OP stated his problems with Gerbings. Taking him at face value, he has recieved poor customer service and reported that. Now people are busy sayin that they love Gerbings and that the OP should understand. According to the OP, Gerbings has promissed to make good several times but not delivered. If they are having problems and can not make him whole, don't promise it. Tell him up front that it will be sometime, not make promisses they are not keeping. The OP has currently spent $500 for usless gear and it appears to him that he is not going to be compensated. How about a little sympathy for him. Again, maybe I expect to much, like something that works for $500.

I once had a customer tell me , "I don't mind your company making a mistake. I mind their not being able to fix it." That seems to be more of the OP's problem here. Just quit telling him that the check is in the mail if it's not. And call him back every other day to tell him he's not forgotten and you're still working on it. And really keep working on it.

------

You need to look for work or do something useful!

Tom Nolan, the new CEO has personally promised me on the phone and follow up emails three times that replacements would be sent. I have not recieved any as of this writing. I am not saying he is not trying but he can't produce. If all that new US made gear is flying out of the new plant it is not flying my way. After a $500+ investment in their products which failed miserably (burned up) and eight weeks trying to get them warrantied with no response but promises, you would feel exactly the same. No customer service and failure to respond to warranties is what fails most businesses.

Jack

I am curious as to how you were able to escalate a warranty claim all the way up the chain to the owner?

A letter enclosed in the replacement Jacket (it did not work either) saying the Gerbings Company had been aquired by Prospect Brands LLC and to call him if I had any problems or questions. Email and cell phone number was enclosed.

Jack

"I lived thirty miles from where it started and have been to their home when the company was in its infancy in Union WA. After sixty years of riding and finally willing to try heated gear naturally I chose Gerbings. Had I known what I do now I would have chosen another brand."

I went to school down the road in Shelton and still live within 30 miles of their original facility. I bought my first liner from them at the factory and it served me well, but in no way was it up to the quality manufacturing level and function of my current Gerbings unit.

I lived on Bainbridge IS for 25 years. I miss the PNW. The Gerbing Family was very nice and accomadating when we visited.

Jack

Jack (and other gerbing customers) Warm n Safe will take your gerbings in trade for their heated clothing. Check out their web site and sales they have going on right now. I have no skin in the game but have known the owner Mike Coan for many years and he has great products that he sells under his brand of warm n safe and thru Tucker Rocky under their brand name.

Do not buy from this company. No longer answering phones or doing business. Company was bought by Prospect Brands in North Carolina. No phones or business address.

I bought Jacket Liner, Dual Portable controller and gloves from them eight weeks ago. Used it once for one hour and it burned up. Have been trying unsucessfully to get them replaced for eight weeks. Now what. I think I am out $500.

Buyer be ware!

Jack

You need to lighten up. Getting nasty to board members because you're upset with Gerbings won't resolve anything.

Doing the smallest research about this site would've shown FB's connection to Gerbings.

Very surprising that 2 consecutive jacket liners "did not work".

Is it the controller or the jacket?

If both, how do you know that?

Anyone around who has controller and liner to check yours with?

Guess you're not a 52 tall w/an extra 2" added so I can wear mine tomorrow.

I'll bet you that this will be resolved, at least on Gerbings end ASAP when they can.

Or it could be "operator error".

Or it could be "operator error".

Yeah, I had the neutral and positive leads reversed on mine and it kept icing up.

-----

Doing the smallest research about this site would've shown FB's connection to Gerbings.

If both, how do you know that?

Anyone around who has controller and liner to check yours with?

Guess you're not a 52 tall w/an extra 2" added so I can wear mine tomorrow.

I'll bet you that this will be resolved, at least on Gerbings end ASAP when they can.

Sent both to Olympia and it was determined the controller was "rejected". An opened or refurbised controller (in a plastic bag) was sent along with the original jacket liner back to me. First time I tried this combination electrical smoke smell again. Jacket that was returned smelled horribly bad when returned from Olympia to begin with. Had to store it in the garage. My guess is jacket was damaged by controller burning up and factory missed this.

Katie, who was the head Customer Service rep in Olympia said they should have sent me a new controller and jacket liner. I saw her at the Los Angeles International M/C show. She said she could do nothing for me as she no longer worked for Gerbings and had been recently laid off. Tom Nolan (new CEO) has promised a new jacket liner and controller. If recieved I will only be out about two and a half months of warranty.

Some above have tried to turn this into my personnel vendetta against Tom Nolan the new CEO. I do believe he is trying to make it right, it just hasen't happened yet. As far as EffBee or Fernando goes, I have never met or dealt with him in any way. My discourse is with the company and its' quality control. Nothing personnel what so ever.

Jack

Yeah, this certainly wasn't personal. Mitch is a moderator and one of the most helpful people here.

I'm starting to think you're just trolling.

I agree Tom. After 11 years on this board I can only remember a handful of members that cannot seem to play by the rules so they end up leaving, some on their own accord, others not.

Jack, your posts started out stated a problem and poitning blame at one person, Tom Nolan. You have now shamed yourself into negative comments about two of our most esteemed members/owners that have spent countless hours here to make this a very informative community for us to all share knowledge. Please take a look at your posts and see that everyone that has responded to you has said the same thing that I am. Your frustrations are warranted at the product and the lack of customer service you quote, but you may be part of the blame by the way you have presented yourself to them, and us.

just sayin.......

I agree Tom. After 11 years on this board I can only remember a handful of members that cannot seem to play by the rules so they end up leaving, some on their own accord, others not.

Jack, your posts started out stated a problem and poitning blame at one person, Tom Nolan. You have now shamed yourself into negative comments about two of our most esteemed members/owners that have spent countless hours here to make this a very informative community for us to all share knowledge. Please take a look at your posts and see that everyone that has responded to you has said the same thing that I am. Your frustrations are warranted at the product and the lack of customer service you quote, but you may be part of the blame by the way you have presented yourself to them, and us.

just sayin.......

Really? I just reread Jacks posts and what I see is a guy who just spent $500 for an item that doesnt work and cannot get any customer service from the company who is touted to be the best and being taken over by the best people. I can sympathize more for Jack than Gerbing. If they were really interested in customer service they would have taken care of the problem or refunded his money neither of which has happened.

I had no idea that the owner of this board had a connection with Gerbing but you assume that every does because you do. Gerbing has made great products in that past and there are always production problems when making a change like this but someone there should be tasked with the job of taking care of these kind of problems promptly. Would you expect any less if it were you?

just sayin

Really?

From home page "About"

"BMWSportTouring.com was created by S. Cary Littell, Jr. in late 1996 as his personal home page. He wanted to do something to serve the community of RT owners like himself.

David C. Baker was the second owner of the site. It was his vision and drive that brought the site to the worldwide scope and influence it now has.

Leslie Edmonds, took ownership of the web site in March of 2006. Her guidance helped build an even greater sense of community.

Today the site is owned by Fernando Belair, one of the original members and a longtime member of the Admin Team.

The site is shaped daily by a great group of Moderators, including Mike Boomgarden (Mike), Mitchell Patrie (Joe Frickin' Friday), Andy Long (Boffin), James Granberry (beemerman2K) and Kathy Rayburn (Kathy R). Many other volunteers toil behind the scenes."

Every change was documented by weeks of running threads.

Do your due dilligence.

Check your controller. If it is the dual controller there are two knobs and two LED lights. If one of them is flashing alternately red-green it means the computer has determined a low-voltage situation. The unit needs to be turned off when starting the bike, then turned on after things are going. The LED should then show a steady green.

I had a prob with mine being on when I started the bike and it conked out d/t the perceived low voltage. Now, just to be sure, I don't plug the whole thing in until the bike is started. It works jes' fine now. Like riding a boxer engine, it requires a bit of jollying along....

Really?

From home page "About"

"BMWSportTouring.com was created by S. Cary Littell, Jr. in late 1996 as his personal home page. He wanted to do something to serve the community of RT owners like himself.

David C. Baker was the second owner of the site. It was his vision and drive that brought the site to the worldwide scope and influence it now has.

Leslie Edmonds, took ownership of the web site in March of 2006. Her guidance helped build an even greater sense of community.

Today the site is owned by Fernando Belair, one of the original members and a longtime member of the Admin Team.

The site is shaped daily by a great group of Moderators, including Mike Boomgarden (Mike), Mitchell Patrie (Joe Frickin' Friday), Andy Long (Boffin), James Granberry (beemerman2K) and Kathy Rayburn (Kathy R). Many other volunteers toil behind the scenes."

Every change was documented by weeks of running threads.

Do your due dilligence.

I'm a bit lost, are you suggesting that everyone that comes to the board, read the "about" page, and then read every link in every signature to see who works where and owns what?

No.

I'm suggesting that if you go to a site for the first time, it takes you to the home page.

The About link there is easy enough to see and I for one would click it before joining and posting on that particular board.

But maybe some folks don't care about the who/why/past and just want to have an audience, who knows.

It isn't difficult to figure out why this board started and the evolution of it and why we're called MRN.

Nor is it surprising that old timers like Doc are still trying to assist the OP.

If you don't like the rules leave the sandbox.

It is rather ironic that someone would come here to post about Gerbings, good or bad.

:rofl:

Perhaps ignorance is bliss...

:lurk:

Archived