IGNORED

California/Torrey/FART here I come...

Paul Mihalka

I'm just opening this thread with my ride starting tomorrow. With a small step into the 21th century I now have a mini laptop. So wi-fi permitting I'll post some comments on where and how I am. I do this mostly as I'll give the link to friends and family who are not on the board.

PS If you wonder about FART: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=789089#Post789089

Living vicariously through you, Paul. I wish we had a SPOT on you though. :)

I know you will enjoy your adventure. Can't wait to hear all about it.

On Sunday I get up, have a coffee and breakfast, boot up the computer and learn that Paul, with sun at his back, is already out of Maryland and well into Ohio! Looks to be superb riding weather. Have a great tour...Scott

"I wish we had a SPOT on you though :) "

Nah, I'm not that much into the 21st yet... :grin:

I'd be happy to loan you mine. Just send me an address if you want to borrow it.

Shouldn't that be the Overland Long Distance Fall Appalachian Riding Tour?

I'd be good with that! :rofl:

First day. As good as a Interstate drag can be. Installed in the luxurious Super8 in the metropolis ofCrawfordsville IN.About 620 miles. Tomorrow is another day.

Shouldn't that be the Overland Long Distance Fall Appalachian Riding Tour?

I'd be good with that! :rofl:

First day. As good as a Interstate drag can be. Installed in the luxurious Super8 in the metropolis ofCrawfordsville IN.About 620 miles. Tomorrow is another day.

Long Distance FART sounds better. :rofl:

Paul - sounds like a good first day. Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

I dunno. I think you might have missed this one, Bob. The acronym would be OLD FART, which is Paul's license plate.

Either way, we all wish Paul a safe journey, and I'll personally see him in Torrey.

I dunno. I think you might have missed this one, Bob. The acronym would be OLD FART, which is Paul's license plate.

Either way, we all wish Paul a safe journey, and I'll personally see him in Torrey.

I did miss it! :dopeslap: OLD FART it is! :thumbsup:

Ya know, if you'd just buy a GPS you wouldn't get so lost on the way to NC.

California is not on the way to anywhere but Mexico.

:grin:

Still hoping to see you in Maggie Valley.

:lurk:

Getting "lost" like this is the most fun!

Another day - a good one. Another Super8. Another metropolis, Bellevillr KS. Another 625 miles.

To travel in the middle of the country rt. 36 is great. 4 lanes in Missouri, 2 in Kansas, all 65 limit, NO traffic!

Happenings: I passed a touring/traveling gentleman on a beat up white BMW R69! I had a nice conversation with one of Missouri's finest. Already came up to me smiling. The OLDFRT plate is the best thing I ever did. Checked my papers, gave nothing in writing. His recommendation was to "stay a bit closer to the 65 limit". I was doing about 80.

Tomorrow another day, Colorado!

Paul, imagine my surprise when my dad and I pulled into a little motel in Bellville Kansas, and a blue BMW R1200GS with OLDFRT on its license plate pulled in behind us. I can't believe that we ran into each other out in the middle of nowhere. Best of wishes on the rest of your adventure and I hope to see you in North Carolina in a few weeks.

Paul, imagine my surprise when my dad and I pulled into a little motel in Bellville Kansas, and a blue BMW R1200GS with OLDFRT on its license plate pulled in behind us. I can't believe that we ran into each other out in the middle of nowhere. Best of wishes on the rest of your adventure and I hope to see you in North Carolina in a few weeks.

YOU ARE KIDDING ME! :clap::rofl:

I kid you not, Kathy. It was one of those incredible coincidences. My Dad and I left Spring City Tennessee at 3:45am and had just arrived in Bellville about 7pm. Paul rode in about five minutes after we arrived. How cool is that?

Yup, it is a small world. Ranks up there with meeting a few years ago two friends from the home area in the parking lot of Wall Drugs in Wall SD. They were riding west, I was riding east.

Ranks right up there...

So what bings the Spins to Kansas?

Just a little family business, Tim. We still have property in that area.

Or us passing in washington state going in opposite directions? We were both headed to UN2 and must have been lost. :wave:

Well, one of you was lost! :grin:

Chris, I think we passed like that somewhere out west as well.

Another day done. Holed up in Rifle CO, just off I70. Today 600 miles. The day was all good, but mixed. The first half, Kansas and East Colorado=western Kansas, looong and straiiight. I think Nevada rt. 50 is not the loneliest road, rt. 36 in Colorado is. There is a 100 mile stretch before reaching I70 where there is NOTHING. In the middle there is a shady tree repair shop with two gas pumps that should be in a museum. Easy to run out of gas. OTOH there is ZERO traffic, so you can ride without fighting anybody else and make time. Once past Denver I70 is beautiful!

Note: Right after starting in the morning I visited the official marker of the Middle Of Nowhere. I mean the marker of the geographic center of the USA (48 States). Well, it felt like the middle of nowhere.

Tomorrow another day...

Another day done. Holed up in Rifle CO, just off I70.

Nice place to be. The next couple of days of riding west should be great. Thank you for posting and allowing us to go along for the ride. :thumbsup:

With a small step into the 21th century I now have a mini laptop.

....and a lovely Century it is with you in it, Paul.

You and Steve reminded me, especially now that you are talking about that area of KS and CO, of a trip where I ran into two friends at a nowhere crossroads in that area. Two straight and perpendicular roads met and there at the intersection were two riders I knew. We'd all departed Canon City, CO at the same time, but taken different routes. And here we were meeting up at this barren landscape. What to do but ride together up into KS on 36 until we found a celebratory ice cream shop, where we parted ways again. They went up to that same Geo Ctr of the U.S. and I put my nose to the East and followed that long 36.

I still am so amazed that Steve and you met in the middle of nowhere.

Quick update. No wi-fi last night. McDonald is great, in Fallon NV.

Yesterday great ride day except for the end. Eureka NV has two hotels. Best Western and cheapo Sundawn Lodge, where I had a reservation, I get there, no reservation on file - forgot to write it down. Packed full, no vacancy. Go to BW - no vacancy. From Sundown they call ahead to Austin, 70 miles. Find a room, the Lincoln motel. Got there tired. The lousiest motel I've seen in a long time - and I've seen some. Had bed and shower, All good. Today will be a good day.

A very very nice day. Quick loop into Lassen National Park. Beautiful views. Rt. 36 from Chester to 101. Great rider road, except a awful lot of construction delays at the lower end. The big Redwoods, seen them before, but always impressive. In Willits on 101 a simple but very nice motel. Clean, park in front of the door, good wi-fi. Inexpensive for the area. The Lark motel. Tomorrow rt. 1 past SF to visit with old friend Ted Porter of the Beemershop, in Spring Valley.

A very very nice day. Quick loop into Lassen National Park. Beautiful views. Rt. 36 from Chester to 101. Great rider road, except a awful lot of construction delays at the lower end. The big Redwoods, seen them before, but always impressive. In Willits on 101 a simple but very nice motel. Clean, park in front of the door, good wi-fi. Inexpensive for the area. The Lark motel. Tomorrow rt. 1 past SF to visit with old friend Ted Porter of the Beemershop, in Spring Valley.

Paul I think you mean Scott Valley.

Long haul to Spring Valley from Willits.

Too bad you were not thru a few days earlier,weather was nice in Quincy over last weekend at the Autumn Beemer Bash Rally and Ted Porter was there selling shocks and GS911's.

Sounds like a great trip so far.

Have fun in Torrey,trying to get last minute time off to go there myself.

JR356

"Paul I think you mean Scott Valley" Correct.

I know the Cannonball is happening close, but now it doesn't work with my ride. If I'd known it earlier I would have worked it in.

Having a great ride!

Another good day. Mostly rt. 1 South, even through SF. Great visit with Ted Porter (Beemershop). Updated each other on 15 years of happenings. Yeah, sure. Has a good shop, expanding.

Good big hotel in Salinas, would match a Comfort Inn, at $53.20 in this part of CA! The Good Night Inn.

Hasta manyana.

Another good day. Rode rt. 1 from Mnterey south. Too bad it was mostly foggy. Checked out the bike museum in Solvang. Worth visiting. Many bikes I had in my memories and some real special ones.

For the night (and super dinner) enjoying the hospitality of Laney and Dennis . Tomorrow we'll ride a piece together!

Solvang is nice but a bit artificial. If you know "German" Helen GA, it is a bit like that in a better "Danish" version.

Had a wonderful stay with Laney and Dennis. Dennis is the designated cook, and he can cook! Today we rode together into the mountains to Lake Isabella. They turn back and I kept going. Didn't ride over to 395 as originally planned, but rode via Kernville to the west side of Sherman Pass, rode to the top and back again. Then met up with Joe (Coarsegoldkid) and his friend Frantz at the "Ponderosa Lodge", which has 3 rooms, a general store and restaurant, and has wi-fi! Just finished dinner, it was good.

Tomorrow ride to Joe's home via Sequoia.

Hasta manyana...

Archived