IGNORED

Gear Report - 65mph to 0

Kathy R

Wow, the fabulous state of Wisconsin is mailing me 18 stickers. If you PM me your home address I will mail you 2. First come - First Serve.

:) If you insist on paying for them you are more than welcome to sent a donation to this site bmwst.com. INFO HERE. All proceeds will be used to fuel the corporate jet. ;)

That kind of thing is very effective, or at least it was for me. When I took the MSF basic class back in the 80s, the instructor had two samples he passed around. One was a post-crash full-face helmet, and we were asked to examine the gouges and imagine the effects on a bare head. The other was a chunk of asphalt that came up from a road, and we were to rub our hands briskly across it, noting how rough and comfortable it was, and then imagine it at 65 mph. I've never forgotten them.

I had the exact same experience in the 1980's in MSF. But the props were my own. :/:dopeslap: Still bearing the inner scars (poorly healed scalpula).

Kathy,

As everyone is saying ... you'll know when. But take care and do all the PT you can.

Thanks Ray. I'm running at a HUG deficit. :)

Gosh Craig, ouch! I hear you and I do appreciate all the advice you and others have given me. I hope you gain some real relief.

I went to less than 10 PT sessions. The PT is mostly of my own making since the hospital charges over $400 per hour! I cannot stress enough good about the regular massage and Reiki sessions.

I began gardening this Spring. It is very gratifying to remember when a few minutes of hoe slinging was my max. Now I can work in the house or yard for a few hours and simply be tired like everyone else, with the rare ache in the right side. Stamina is something you don't know you depend on until you don't have it.

I lost nearly a year to this and while I'll always be reminded of it, I can tear up just thinking of how good it is now. Yes, I think about riding often. My Dad has recently spoken of how, "The great weather has really brought the riders out". I was floored. I think even he is easing up in his request that I never ride again. Once you get past the pain and emotion, the reality of pure joy returns. When the time is right I'll be back on my own ride.

Thank you everyone for your support and good vibes and great advice.

5 of 18 stickers are spoken for so far.

I plan to bring any extras to the UN.

Hi Kathy,

I looked at all the photos and have some questions about your gloves and the warning sticker on your helmet.

First, I have always favored the gauntlet style of glove that protects the wrist as well. I have a set of Held gloves that I wore out and haven't been able to find a similar set since then so I went to a BMW made set. Anyway, it appears that most of the damage is in the palm area but I'm curious as to your overall impression of the Held's and if you had any wrist injury.

I ask that question because I've heard so many injury stories from riders suffering multiple injuries to that part of their body as they're sent flailing down the road.

Second, where did you get the helmet warning sticking advising good samaritans not to attempt your helmet until an EMT arrives?

Aside from that I'm happy to see that you're on the mend and have such a great attitude about it all. I look forward to seeing you next month!

Thanks Randy. This stuff just fascinates the snot out of me.

Gauntlet gloves are designed to stay on you in a get off and to me that is why they fasten twice; once at the wrist and once at the gauntlet. When you watch videos of riders coming off bikes the folks with short gloves lose them before or soon after the first impact.

It's pretty hard to protect the wrist. Any protection of the wrist hinders your flexibility. My boots do protect my ankle with a hard cast like approach, because I don't need complete ankle flex when I ride. But I use my wrist all the time and so we ride knowing our wrist bones are at higher risk.

At some point, likely early on, the left wrist broke and bones came through the top and bottom of my wrist. You have to love Kangaroo hide, because it didn't tear, but I'm told they knew the bones were broken because the glove was rather distorted. They cut the left HELD Steve off of me. Fortunately my right wrist didn't break, likely because of the luck of the hits and bounces. We can only mitigate circumstances and then it's all luck or chance after that :) The scar is really cool.

I'm very satisfied with the HELD Steves. That being said and especially due to the issues with the left wrist I will be going for more padding in my next HELDs. But, don't be surprised if you see Steves on me :grin: I just love the way they feel. They told me that this wrist can't be put back together if this happens again, so I'll live with the knowledge that I might be bionic on the next go round, if I get lucky. ;)

I got the helmet stickers from Beaver Damn BMW/HD in Beaver Damn WI. I used to ride up there, when I lived in Chicago, to get new tires or to get a brake (1150) bleed. I loved that ride and they are terrific people. If you look at the posts in this thread you'll see more information about the questions your asking. I don't mind repeating myself, as I love talking about this stuff, but the other readers might harumpf. :dopeslap:

The attitude has had time to get better. Time is a great healer.

I am so glad to be on the planet and going to an UN :thumbsup:

I owe you and a bunch of folks a lot of HUGS

I got my first pair of Held gloves last fall. As they are pricy I told the family they had just bought my Christmas present. I even had them wrap them up and I waited until Christmas. If I had known just how much I would have liked them I would have begun wearing them right away. I have other gloves that I have found on sale or closeout from 60 -100 dollars (all gauntlet style). Once I started using the Helds, the others rarely get worn because the others feel so unsubstantial. I have the Titans. They are a pain to put on compared to other ones. With the others I could pretty easily write a check at the corner store for gas each day. With the Helds, I now take off one glove. Still I will use them even with the on/off factor. They are great gloves.

I got mine through CLASS as that is one of the perks of attending, a discount on a Held product. I live in NC and travel to where the distributor is located so I stopped by one day. They are great people. I tried on a number of different gloves and sizes and with their advice, settled on a size in the Titans that works well. They advised me also about the lack of ease in on/off. So it was an informed choice. Website is Heldusa.com

Like I said. they are pricy but after 10,000 miles, they remain great gloves.

NCS

Thanks Stephen. HERE is a glove thread that I put up last year. There is nothing like a testimonial from an experienced user. Much appreciated.

While price is certainly a consideration, the cost of good gear doesn't compare to the cost of fixing a broken body.

I'm kinda surprised at the popularity of gauntlet gloves! For myself, I've yet to find a pair that will actually fit over the sleeve of a jacket. Or, for that matter, a jacket sleeve that will fit over a glove. For me, the gauntlet just bunches up at the sleeve! Maybe that's how it protects the wrist, with all the bunched-up material there?! :S How do you folks do it?

My gauntlet glove fits smoothly over my jacket cuff. It does not bunch up at the cuff. Maybe it's the glove brand you tried or maybe there is something bulky about your jacket cuff?

Just get yourself to the UN, Peter, and we'll work on ya! :D

Most of my gauntlets will fit over most of my jackets. ( Have never tried to put the jacket over the gauntlet, all of my current ones would fail this test) I have a bunch and the sportier the jacket the better the fit of the glove. Most of my jackets are cowhide. The titans really work best with sport riding jackets or suits. One glove did a great job of fitting many jackets, the Scorpion Magnum. The downside it was worn out in 18 months (about 30k). Again after the Titans, they would feel like a very light glove. A series of FIVE (brand) gloves have been OK. They do a great job of fitting MY fingers and hands and give a lot of dexterity (ATM, Gas station, check writing, setting GPS, etc other than good stuff on the bike). The protection of the gauntlet in these is mostly some light padding and light plastic plates in addition to the longer material coverage. One pair of winter Fieldsheer gloves (textile and water resistent) were fair as a gauntlet. They would cover my winter/wet weather fieldsheer aqua tour jacket. ( I do pull the sleeve ends on my wrist down snug). They however in wet weather would stick to my fingers and screw up the inner lining when taking them off. Time had to be taken either in making sure the lining was held by the fingers and pulled off a finger at a time or get a pencil and push the lining back down in each finger. Extra protection would not be their strong suit.

I have a pair of Cortech textile (pretend leather) winter/wet gauntlets. They have better padding and such than the Fieldsheers and perhaps even better than the FIVE. They are a bit bulkier, do fit over things easier, and the lining only kinda pulls out when removing them. They are in my "current use" bag of gloves.

At the other end of gauntlets is a favorite pair of years gone by. They fit so well, have such a nice range of temps yet offer nothing more than the protection of some abrasion resistance. They are a pair of Thurlows out of deerskin. They have no padding, no skid protection, no straps to stay on. In todays ATGATT world for me, they have been used more for winter gloves for car driving than for the bike. (great in its day, like a good open face Bell helmet (even snell approved) from the 70s but not for todays market. As for the pulling over a jacket, they would have enough natural stretch to fit over medium to slim sleeve jackets.

The Held Titans are a different glove, different design, and different focus. They do fit over slim sport jackets, some sporty touring jackets and over my Fieldsheer AquaTour jacket IF I don't have a lot of bulky stuff at the wrist with straps pulled snug. They do take a little bit of work to open up all the way, make sure your jacket wrist is snug and then put on /pull over.

The gauntlet part is very stiff, in 1/3 outside part is hard padding, much like a hard forearm pad from a jacket cut down in half. The 1/3 top then is mildly stiff foam. the bottom inside third is simple kangaroo. They do not work over a wide range of jackets, as that isn't their design. They work for me over most of the jackets I wear. If I am wearing one of the bulkier sleeve jackets then I know I wear another pair of gloves. I also know that if I fell that day, my hands and wrist are less protected.

So you make your choices. For ease and open comfort, those Thurlow Deerskin Gauntlets and Bell Open Face Helmet work so much easier (esp with glasses). For on the bike protection and comfort today, I am usually in the Held Titans and Shoei X-12

Let your gear evolve so you are wearing the best protection that you can be comfortable in and have protection. What was great 15 yrs ago isn't great now. What is most comfortable today may not be a lot more than fashion wear. Make choices with wisdom based upon use.

NCS

Thanks for the good information Stephen,

What gloves do you wear in warm NC weather? How are the Titans as a year round glove?

I'm looking for gauntlet summer gloves; kind of an oxymoron. I see the HELD Air N Dry has a small gauntlet. HELD warm weather

Kathy,

The answer to your question is buried in here. I find summer is summer. When 90 - 100 you are going to be hot. I try to manage it with:

I limit AC as much as I can. If you get used to 85 as a comfortable temperature you are comfortable most of the time outside. So my wife and I agree and the home temp is around 78. Work freezes me then at 72. (take a jacket)

Wearing wicking layers all the time. long sleeve and long legged are best in hottest weather.

Staying hydrated

Wear a wet cooling garment around your neck. Even if simply two wet bandannas.

Add water to inside layer as needed. (wearing lycra kinda stuff it is no problem to dump some water inside jacket and pants, close vents up some to moderate airflow and be chilly for the first 10 min, comfortable for 20 more, then start to feel hot again in another 15. So close to an hour of OK riding when it is at 100.

Rotating gear so nothing gets undue use (the gloves right now are the weak point in this, I need another pr or two)

The Titans are not the coolest glove I have owned. The Magnums and Five RX 1s were far breezier. On the K-RS I could straighten my hand some and feel the breeze into them. The Held's have only a few air holes between the fingers. Spread your fingers some and you can feel something. (side bar note, you really get used to the 3rd/4th finger being together so never cut them apart) So your hand is gonna feel sweaty on hot days. So far the hottest I have ridden with them was mid 90s, and.. well most would say this is a hot day, I would be still be in full cowhide, boots and gloves. (one nice thing, the Scorpions and Five all have some panels that bled dye. So my hands always got some stain on them for that day. The Helds never have bled any dye.

So now your question, scale 1-10 10 high/best

Titans

Ease to put 7 (until you learn where to pull on them and such 5, once you learn how to put them on, 8)

Ease of use on bike, basic controls 10

Ease of use on bike, switches, setting things 8

Ease to take off 8

Protection 10

Spring / Fall Glove 55-85 non heated grips 9

mild winter glove 40-60 non heated grips 5

mild winter glove 49-60 HEATED grips as needed 9

cold winter glove 25-45, non heated, no handlebar gauntlets 2

cold winter glove 25-40 non heated, Handlebar gauntlets 5 (The extra protection on gauntlet sometimes adds a moment of small catching on the handle bar gauntlet in taking hand/glove in/out

cold winter glove 25-40 HEATED grips/ WITH Handle Bar Gauntlet 7

Colder 10-35, be safe, get the proper gear for that temp

Summer 85-100 8

Ease doing things stopped, Zippers, ATM, GPS 5

So overall, I rate them as 7 year round knowing I need some other specialty gloves for special temps and stuff

So overall 3 season glove, if you have heated grips 9

Oh yeah, they are OK wet weather gloves, Yes your hands get wet, but they will all dry out and function good when wet. Your hands also don't come out looking like they have been dyed black.

I hope this long answer helps with you insight on such a simple and short question.

When buying the next pair, I will look at the Phantoms just to seriously see if I need to step back from the Titans.

NCS

As a b'day present to myself, I just bought a pair of BMW DoubleR's.

These are similar, at least in specs., to the Held Phantoms. Someone at BMW goofed though, and they are priced slightly lower than the Phantoms.

All kangaroo leather, stingray leather palm skid protection and plastic wrist protection with padding in the gauntlet and on the back of the hand. The pinky and ring fingers are connected for protection. Knuckle protection is carbon fiber. The description card that came with them says they are sewn with kevlar thread. The fit is similar to the the Held Phantoms I had tried on previously, though I had to go to a slightly larger size on the doubler's (8.5 vs 9-9.5 for me).

They are very well ventilated, and flow a lot of air. Even in black, they are comfortable in full sun.

I also found out yesterday that they are comfortable wet too. There is no visor wiper strip, but in the storm I was in, it wouldn't have helped anyway.

As a b'day present to myself, I just bought a pair of BMW DoubleR's.

These are similar, at least in specs., to the Held Phantoms.

Hey thanks for that Barry,

I will check them out and .. well I will buy them after the new tires, new brake lines, a couple of track days and then... then skip/take my lunch for a month and then... maybe then I can have my daily money saved up for another pair.

NCS

Nice n Easy Rider
Wow, the fabulous state of Wisconsin is mailing me 18 stickers. If you PM me your home address I will mail you 2. First come - First Serve.

:) If you insist on paying for them you are more than welcome to sent a donation to this site bmwst.com. INFO HERE. All proceeds will be used to fuel the corporate jet. ;)

The very generous and very safety-conscious State of Wisconsin was kind enough to send me ~100 of these helmet stickers.

MotorcycleDoNotRemoveHelmetSticker.jpg

These stickers are 1" x 3.75"

If anyone would like one (or two) PM me with your mailing address and I'll drop them in the mail to you.

I can certainly see the practicality of these stickers when the situation arises, as it did in Kathy's case, and appreciate that there are those who make them, and those here on the board (Kathy and George) who have located them and are willing to share with the rest of us here.

However, I'm not sure my wife would ever let me ride again with one of them on the helmet, because it would just be too much of a reminder of what could happen. I don't mean to say that she would have me remove the sticker, I mean she wouldn't let me ride at all.

Everytime I ride the bike out the driveway I have on helmet, jacket and pants with 1000 Denier Cordura and CE armor, motorcycle gloves and boots, so why would this be any different?

I'm actually struggling to come up with an answer to that question myself. The gear I wear "just in case", and this is the same thing, it only comes into play if I have a crash and someone comes to my aid. Maybe it's the way we perceive and process the words on the sticker compared to the visual difference between everyday clothing and our riding gear (except for the helmet of course).

This has been nagging at me since Kathy brought it up, would I wear such a sticker? Right now, I don't think so, and to be fair, it's my own reaction to it as well as my prediction of my wife's reaction.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nice n Easy Rider
I can certainly see the practicality of these stickers when the situation arises, as it did in Kathy's case, and appreciate that there are those who make them, and those here on the board (Kathy and George) who have located them and are willing to share with the rest of us here.

However, I'm not sure my wife would ever let me ride again with one of them on the helmet, because it would just be too much of a reminder of what could happen. I don't mean to say that she would have me remove the sticker, I mean she wouldn't let me ride at all.

Everytime I ride the bike out the driveway I have on helmet, jacket and pants with 1000 Denier Cordura and CE armor, motorcycle gloves and boots, so why would this be any different?

I'm actually struggling to come up with an answer to that question myself. The gear I wear "just in case", and this is the same thing, it only comes into play if I have a crash and someone comes to my aid. Maybe it's the way we perceive and process the words on the sticker compared to the visual difference between everyday clothing and our riding gear (except for the helmet of course).

This has been nagging at me since Kathy brought it up, would I wear such a sticker? Right now, I don't think so, and to be fair, it's my own reaction to it as well as my prediction of my wife's reaction.

Any help would be appreciated.

Glenn,

I can readily appreciate your position here and I'm sure it's probably shared by a number of others on the Board as well. I'm fortunate (I guess) in the fact that my wife has a pretty good idea of the risks I take each time I go out the driveway on my bike - she was both an emergency room and critical care nurse for many years. She saw a number of motorcycle accident victims (and some fatalities) during those years. In my case it wouldn't be so much reminding her of the possibility of an accident but more a reminder that should an accident occur I'm taking as many precautions as possible to insure that subsequent injury might be minimized (she has often told some of her friends who question how she could let me ride that she values both my judgment and riding skills and the fact that I'm ATGATT). Unfortunately for me, it is her knowledge of the possibilities that also prevents her from herself riding and that certainly diminishes my riding enjoyment to less than it might otherwise be.

I guess to answer your question you might just ask your wife: Would you feel better or worse if I had this sticker on my helmet? Who knows, she might surprise you.

Glenn,

I understand how she is thinking and how you are thinking. I believe that long ago I shared some of that thinking, for a few seconds.

For me it comes down to the simplicity of how important the message is for a rider.

I admit that motorcycling is dangerous, but I love it. I've always said that I ride 49% scared and 51% thrilled.

Wearing the sticker makes sense to me, but it may not be worth it to you. That is OK, just like it is OK for someone else to not ride motorcycles. Make your choice and live with it.

I've often said that I don't want to die stupid. If I was injured by improper helmet removal, but the sticker was there, I wouldn't have any regrets about my actions. I made my choice to ride and I took my chances. If I didn't have the sticker I'd beat myself up forever.

Besides, nobody will steal your helmet with this butt ugly sticker on it. :grin: Maybe you should tell her that is the reason for the sticker? :)

I guess to answer your question you might just ask your wife: Would you feel better or worse if I had this sticker on my helmet? Who knows, she might surprise you.

George,

That, of course makes the most sense. I will ponder and see what I do from there.

Thanks for your considered response, as well as your efforts on the stickers themselves.

Glenn,

I understand how she is thinking and how you are thinking. I believe that long ago I shared some of that thinking, for a few seconds.

For me it comes down to the simplicity of how important the message is for a rider.

I admit that motorcycling is dangerous, but I love it. I've always said that I ride 49% scared and 51% thrilled.

Wearing the sticker makes sense to me, but it may not be worth it to you. That is OK, just like it is OK for someone else to not ride motorcycles. Make your choice and live with it.

I've often said that I don't want to die stupid. If I was injured by improper helmet removal, but the sticker was there, I wouldn't have any regrets about my actions. I made my choice to ride and I took my chances. If I didn't have the sticker I'd beat myself up forever.

Besides, nobody will steal your helmet with this butt ugly sticker on it. :grin: Maybe you should tell her that is the reason for the sticker? :)

Kathy,

Another well reasoned response, that's what I was looking for. Especially the part about the theft prevention properties! :rofl:

I will probably let this one stew for a while, and I'll let you two know if I decide to take you up on the offer.

Glenn

So it was 105 today when I left work. I can honestly say the Titan's really didn't contribute to the comfort/discomfort of the ride home. They were fine.

NCS

Will Stagg

New guy to this forum but not to the situation. I was rear ended at stop light by a drunk driver going 40 mph who "didn't see the light was red or the cars stopped there". Walked away thanks to wearing gear and an undiscovered ability to perform airial acrobatics. Tried to "get back in the saddle" ASAP

which turned out to be poor judgement. Found I "freaked" at stop signs and actually stopped riding for 10 years. Started riding offroad and realized I missed the street and sufficient time had passed for me not to freak everytime someone was closing behind me. My point being don't be in too big a rush to get out there on the tarmac. Do time on a dual sport in the woods away from extra hazards for your momo fix. IMHO it's important to be able to focus on riding when riding and not reliving past bad stuff.

Kathy,

Glad to read you are doing better (I followed the thread last year).

I, too, can attest to solid, good quality gear (ATGATT). Last month I was rear ended on my motorcycle. It was the first major mishap after almost 55,000 miles (on this bike - an R1150RT). While a relatively low speed accident compared to yours (pollce report said other driver was doing 40MPH - but I don't believe that), I was launched forward (much to my surprise) and across my bike and into oncoming traffic. I rolled (and maybe slid - I don't recall) across the asphalt coming to a stop on my side. I was alert enough to tell the first person coming to my aid to leave my helmet alone (I did not have a 'sticker') until a first responder arrived.

As to gear, I also was wearing an Olympia jacket, First Gear summer gauntlet style gloves and Shoei helmet and Sidi boots. I neglected to wear my Aerostitch pants with armor that day and can attest my hip paid the price. Fortunately, most of the impact was taken by my upper torso. Universally, everyone commented that the gear saved any significant damage to my upper torso.

Bike is totaled...but so what. It can be replaced. You can't be! Where ATGATT...!

Regards,

Mike O

Whoa, MIKE! Really glad you are going to be OK and I'm very sorry about the loss of your bike. I will always miss mine and be PO'd that it was taken from me. I hope that guy had insurance? Man, you are so lucky! He's lucky you had the gear on or he'd be in deeper sheesh. What more can I say? The gear is just plain awesome.

STICKERS UPDATE: I'm awaiting their arrival from the State of Wisconsin.

Hey, NC, I ordered the HELD Titans and eagerly await their arrival, along with the new Olympia AST and First Gear TPG. I'm still deciding between the Schuberth or the Nolan. Yeah, I'm choking on the difference between the two. The S peeps talk about how that helmet avoids the roll damage to the front shoulder. That is something that I never want to go through again, if there is any way to control it.

My point being don't be in too big a rush to get out there on the tarmac. Do time on a dual sport in the woods away from extra hazards for your momo fix. IMHO it's important to be able to focus on riding when riding and not reliving past bad stuff.

I hear you, Will. I'm so glad you came out of that well. Your experience is insightful and a great help. Welcome to the board!

I will find out which muscle memory is skewed once I ride, but when I think about riding I don't have fear of cars. Right now, my concerns are how well my left had will work and if my right shoulder will have stamina. I've discovered that I physically don't break easily and I hope I have 7 more lives left to go. (This get off last year and another in 1981)

When I think about motorcycles it's in the frame of mind that I'm getting one, but which one? I am thoroughly enjoying the decision making. Right now, for me, it's not about having the bike, but about the journey of getting one. (It's not the destination....)

Thank you very much for your advice and for all the advice ya'll have shared. I'm moving slowly on this, going at a pace that works for me, and listening to my heart. I no longer have to listen to my body :grin:

Whoa, MIKE! Really glad you are going to be OK and I'm very sorry about the loss of your bike. I will always miss mine and be PO'd that it was taken from me. I hope that guy had insurance? Man, you are so lucky! He's lucky you had the gear on or he'd be in deeper sheesh. What more can I say? The gear is just plain awesome.

Yes, she has insurance. In addition to recovery, I now have the hassle of forms, upon forms, negotiations, etc. to deal with. Yes, there's an empty spot in my garage and I'm not in the frame of mind to make any decisions on what my riding future might hold. Each individual's personal reaction to a bike accident is different. Until you've experienced it, you don't know how you'll react.

Mike O

The best advice I have is Stay Ahead of The Pain. Cripes....you still going to the UN? If I can drive from NY .....

EDIT: upon further reflection :dopeslap:

How is your mobility Mike? Can you drive?

The UN is upon us soon and you have a way to go, I would imagine? How easy it is, even for me, to forget those first weeks/months.

Yea, I don't have much of an excuse. But I haven't decided yet.

Bob suggested I do that as well. We'll see.

Mike O

I'm actually ok to drive and walk around at the moment. Looking at me, you wouldn't notice anything (again thanks to the gear). A lot of people learned about my accident and assumed I'd be cut, scraped, etc. That's what the gear does for you! It's the deep bruisings (and the stuff you can't see) that are bothersome and keep me awake at nite.

Thanks for the kind concern.

I don't know what's more painful; road rash or deep tissue pain, but the advantage we have is we only suffer the latter and we are prettier. I know what you mean MIke. I've seen the look in a few folks faces, *You can't really hurt since you don't look hurt? * :dopeslap:

OK, I do not have a Schuberth C3 head and my wallet is thrilled. :grin:

The BMW shop I went to didn't have any lowered RTs to sit and only special orders them, so one of you folks out there who has one needs to go to the UN. OK? :grin: I'm going to start a thread on that bike, as I have lots of questions. It seems my local dealer couldn't recognize a potential buyer to save his life.

Kathy,

lowered GS much more common, are you set on an RT?

Start the thread, you may find aftermarket shocks lowering bike work as well andif you sell you can put stock shocks back and sell the lowered ones.

Glad you're at this point...

:thumbsup:

800ST can be a nice sport tourer and give you ABS with 420lbs.

Kathy,

lowered GS much more common, are you set on an RT?

Start the thread, you may find aftermarket shocks lowering bike work as well andif you sell you can put stock shocks back and sell the lowered ones.

Glad you're at this point...

:thumbsup:

800ST can be a nice sport tourer and give you ABS with 420lbs.

Thanks Tim :wave: I really like the wind protection of the RT, but I've never ridden a GS. Long ago Karen "Suds" told me not to ride one of those unless I planned to buy it. :grin:

I've got a thread going in MT now.

The mending is such that the thought of a big bike is not really an issue, but, with the last two bikes, I have grown fond of getting at least the ball of my foot on the ground.

Sounds like you are having fun figuring what bike will go with the new gloves. LOL Could there be lots of test rides?

When you get the gloves, consider learning when pulling them all the way up, pull on the outside hard part of the glove rather than the inside or bottom. I have found it makes it easier but that my muscle memory really wants to take over and pull more on the inside of the wrist.

I just had 2 days with CLASS at VIR and it was at 100F each day. The gloves didn't make a difference regarding if I was hot or not. The 3rd day we went back with friends to the Kart track and did about 80 laps on the carts. I wore another older pair of gloves for that. I really appreciated the HELDs. They just wore better AND, my thunbs and 2 fingers were black from the dye in these cheaper gloves bleeding out as my hands were so wet from sweat. The Helds never transferred any!

Do we get pictures of all the new gear?

Smiles need to be included as well!!!!!

NCS

When you get the gloves, consider learning when pulling them all the way up, pull on the outside hard part of the glove rather than the inside or bottom. I have found it makes it easier but that my muscle memory really wants to take over and pull more on the inside of the wrist.

Thanks for that tip, Stephen. The gloves arrived, attached to display packaging by a rather large snap. It's almost the size of a nickel! I guess I need to cut the leather tab and remove it? Who would want to go down with that near their body?

Do we get pictures of all the new gear?

Smiles need to be included as well!!!!!

How about a photo of the N104 after I changed out the visor and affixed a nice new warning sticker? :D

i-tHFj9Jh-L.jpg

and a close up of one of the stickers

i-39hN444-M.jpg

The new Olympia AST and the First Gear TPGs felt great on and I can't wait to wear them while in Salida. This will be the second UN that I've been to in CO and each time I rode pillion with Jeff Burns :grin: The first time was so Cary (creator of bmwst.com) could use my bike (he flew in and surprised us all) and this time because this feels like a comfortable and natural way to get back on a bike after this hiatus. Jeff is a great rider and tall enough so that I can look off to the sides without focusing on the road ;)

There will be many photos from the UN and I will have spare helmet stickers with me (Thanks to George) for folks who want one.

Thanks for that tip, Stephen. The gloves arrived, attached to display packaging by a rather large snap. It's almost the size of a nickel! I guess I need to cut the leather tab and remove it? Who would want to go down with that near their body?

They have a matching snap on the other glove. I use mine all the time snapped together when putting up around the speedo when stopped or when carrying them in or in the saddle bags. It keeps them together so you don't find one on the ground when you thought you had both of them.

NCS

They have a matching snap on the other glove. I use mine all the time snapped together when putting up around the speedo when stopped or when carrying them in or in the saddle bags. It keeps them together so you don't find one on the ground when you thought you had both of them.

NCS

I picked up a new pair of the Held Sambia gloves a few weeks ago and they have the same snap. I originally thought I would cut them off as well. I thought it would be obnoxious, but to tell you the truth, I don't even know its there. I've found it to be pretty useful. Now I consider it a nice little added feature.

BTW......I love these gloves. They are MUCH nicer and beefier in person than any of the pictures I saw before I purchased them.

I hear what you fellows are saying about the convenience of snapping your gloves together, and I appreciate the feedback, but there is no way I'm going to invite that metal snap along on a get off. It's amazing how fast damage can be done. The trade off, to me, is insignificant.

However, I do need a sticker for my windshield that says:

Take motorcycle keys our of pocket before putting on gloves

:dopeslap:

:grin:

Yesterday I poured myself a glass of mango juice.

then I looked high and low for it

only to find it in the refrigerator

Paul Mihalka
:grin:

Yesterday I poured myself a glass of mango juice.

then I looked high and low for it

only to find it in the refrigerator

Kathy, you are not old enough for that! Probably your next bike occupies your mind. :grin:

"However, I do need a sticker for my windshield that says:

Take motorcycle keys our of pocket before putting on gloves"

Don't we all!

Hey Kathy,

I got my stickers in the mail the other day and just wanted to say thanks!

I'm pretty sure no one will be looking to steal my Arai with those babies on there, but if I ever do go down maybe they'll prevent further damage from the responders.

Thanks again, if you're ever passing through Westchester your welcome to take my RT out for a nice long test ride to see if a low suspension model might work for you.

Keep your keys in your gloves. After the first few broken nails you will remember every time....

:D

Andy

Paul, The synapses just don't fire like they used to, as if my mind surges :grin:

Bob, You are very welcome and I'll certainly take you up on that if I am ever down that way.

Andy, I can tell I've been off a bike for a long time. I'm thinking about getting a manicure :D I will be locking these $$$ gloves up and taking the keys with me.

I hear what you fellows are saying about the convenience of snapping your gloves together, and I appreciate the feedback, but there is no way I'm going to invite that metal snap along on a get off. It's amazing how fast damage can be done. The trade off, to me, is insignificant.

I have a clip on my keyring and clip it to the d ring of the helmet. (if I am carrying it with me, otherwise it gets locked and the keys are clipped to a loop on pants or jacket or sleeve of jacket).

About the snaps on the gloves. Hear that I am not bending your arm on this as I haven't crashed like you have and I respect your point of view tremedously. Where the snaps are located is really a difficult place to get to the surface. Most of my jackets have fabric inserts at this point and the HELD Titans are really rugged, stiff, beefy, over the top gloves. That area is also the one soft area of the glove. I would guess research as shown that to be an area of very low risk of having any sustained contact. With these being some of the top gloves in the world, some thought went into whether it was ok to have snap there.

Now.... they are your gloves, cut as you wish LOL (I have never had a need to cut the 3-4 fingers apart and hardly ever notice they are joined.)

One other thing. I am really glad you put the mango juice where it would be nice and cold for when you truly needed it.

More pictures please... TTIWWP ya know.

NCS

Paul, The synapses just don't fire like they used to, as if my mind surges :grin:

Better a surge than PTTR...

;)

edit note..

I typed TTIWWP and then felt guilty. I dont' have any glove specific pix but cropped these to give a better view of some recent pix on bikes where the gloves went before me. I did deface mine and added a band of reflective tape on the titanium knuckles which you can see in the pictures. I use hand signals all the time for turns and lane changes and figured that would help even in the darker times.

Mine are the black/white ones. Which are yours? Black, Black/White, Red/Black/White?????

NCS

Yes, that is the snap tab hanging down from the left glove

classtitana.jpg

A very wet day but they remained solid and not squishy, oozing dye and messy to wear.

code3a.jpg

:grin: Tim

Don't feel guilty, Stephen. I have no clue what TTIWWP is. You are talking to the girl who doesn't know where her mango juice went.

I think I put up a photo of my white and black Titans on another thread somewhere. Add to that....

White helmet

Neon yellow jacket

Black over pants

Red accented SIDI Vertigo boots

Long ago Harley people complained that I didn't wash my bike enough.

BMW riders have mentioned that my gear esthetic needs work.

I'd like to get a black or a white bike, but knowing me the color will end up as 3rd or 5th on my list of considerations.

I fully expect to get all my gear on in CO at the UN. I'm looking forward to that ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived