IGNORED

Simple stuff I wish BMW would do

12R12RT

Make the base plate on the top case adjustable so I could slide it forward such that it didn't hang so far off the back of my RT.

You?

Tom

keep the old BMW indicator system! I'm use to it and it would actually put me off a new BMW with it's little toggle switch.

Give the power outlets more amperage capability for heated gear.

and make at least one of them unswitched so you can charge stuff off the bike

You guys sure want a lot.

All I want mine to do is run all the time. And I don't mean all the time, most of the time.

dc

keep the old BMW indicator system! I'm use to it and it would actually put me off a new BMW with it's little toggle switch.

You mean self-canceling turn signals? If so, add my vote.

CoarsegoldKid

Don't all modern street going BMWs self-cancel? My RT does.

I guess my RT isn't "modern", mine do not cancel.

The front air valve is OK in a very Teutonic sort of way, but the rear is just lame.

Put the damn thing between the spokes so we can get a chuck on it, ya losers!

The thing is in the arch of the spokes, and not even centered. Was this design left over from Panzer days?

Tom

All I want mine to do is run all the time. And I don't mean all the time, most of the time.

dc

Big plus one.

1200RTs do. I'm not sure I'd agree that my 1150RT wasn't a "modern street going BMW".
Side stand footprint large enough to not sink in EVERYTHING.

In the interest of full disclosure....are you talking about your camping excursion parking? :wave:

BMW tests the aerodynamics of its bikes with bags mounted.

Kind of hard if there are infinite positions.

They must have forgotten to test the GS...it's maybe a little more aerodynamic than a brick wall, but not by much. :thumbsup:

Yes they do cancel, but I think it's related to travel distance only instead of including self-canceling after a turn in the equation. I miss that feature from my old '90 Honda. And I still dearly miss the one-thumb-for-blinkers-the-other-for-horn set up.

dc

I want mine to run all the time....and I drink the Koolaid.

:grin:

Yes they do cancel, but I think it's related to travel distance only instead of including self-canceling after a turn in the equation. I miss that feature from my old '90 Honda. And I still dearly miss the one-thumb-for-blinkers-the-other-for-horn set up.

I think it's Distance and/or Time with a Brake exception.

As an example, if you turn on the signal, then stop and release the brake, the signal times out and it quits blinking. If you keep either brake applied, the timer is over-ridden.

At least this seems to be the way mine works, but I hardly ever stop. :dopeslap:

Ditch the over-complicated and fussy stock radio. Instead, put a waterproofed Blaupunkt radio over the instrumentation with an ON/OFF/VOLUME button, AM/FM/CD select button, and station buttons that simply push for memory, along with a decent set of speakers. Keep it simple and less than $1,200.

I own, ride the hell out of, and enjoy a 2011 R1200 RT. Great bike...radio not so much. I think BMW should contact each customer six months after they purchase a bike with a survey about satisfaction, suggestions, problems, etc. I bet they would get a gazillion useful ideas. BTW, +1 on better seats. I'm a couple weeks away from getting my Russell Day Longs.

In the interest of full disclosure....are you talking about your camping excursion parking? :wave:

Why yes......Yes I am. Only sometimes though. Full discloser, that thing has sunk on surfaces I did not anticipate or never would have thought.

I was refering to the japanese style toggle switch (standard on every other bike manufacturer)that BMW have re-adopted recently. The switch on either hand with the seperate cancel switch is much better IMO.

The self-cancelling indicators on the 12S go off after 16 flashes if you moving over a certain speed (not sure what the speed is?), otherwise they stay on until manually cancelled. I didnt know BMW came up with an even more complicated system involving the brakes..... Sounds a bit OTT

Guest Kakugo

Seconded about better seats. The stock RT one is way too soft. Considering the Kahedo seat (sold by Touratech) costs about the same as a spare BMW unit and the Kawasaki 1400GTR has a very satisfactory seat as standard it's not a matter of money.

I'd also like to see some improvement in finish on the heel plates: the coating on mine started to rub off after three months of ownership and it's not a warranty issue. A small, bolt on rubber plate (to be replaced when worn) would the trick.

Finally a word about the luggage rack. It's very stylish but it's nigh on useless unless you have a top case. I have little love for top cases and I am stuck with a luggage rack that is of little use to me... offering an optional bolt-on luggage carrier would improve things and wouldn't cost BMW an extra penny.

Give the power outlets more amperage capability for heated gear.

and make at least one of them unswitched so you can charge stuff off the bike

...and plug in a tender to maintain the battery

thencamebronson

Hire me as their official spokesperson. I could appear in their ads, they could give me bikes to ride, and I would attempt to convince everyone that the kool-aid is superior to the "whine".

I too don't like the new? turn signal switch. I have to ease my grip in bars to reach switch for a left turn. I guess my hands are too small. Old system was much more comfortable. I think we have the magazine testers to blame they were always bitching about it.

Lone_RT_rider

Not all of us camp everywhere we go... :grin:

Lone_RT_rider
Make the base plate on the top case adjustable so I could slide it forward such that it didn't hang so far off the back of my RT.

You?

Tom

And be able to slide even further back for more passenger room.

And while we are ranting.... Make the R12RT suspension geometry, seat to footpeg distance and handlebar to rider distance the same as it was on the R1100RT. If they did that, I would trade both my RT's in so fast that it would be "so 27 seconds ago".

Shawn

And while we are ranting.... Make the R12RT suspension geometry, seat to footpeg distance and handlebar to rider distance the same as it was on the R1100RT. If they did that, I would trade both my RT's in so fast that it would be "so 27 seconds ago".

Shawn

And if they had done that, I would probably never have purchased my R12RT.

Lone_RT_rider

Shawn

That's good! Then there would be less affirmation for the movement of the R12RT towards a Gold Wing like platform, rather than the wonderful SPORT touring bike it was in the R1100RT configueration.

Well not quite everywhere, but most! TBS even the GSA which some here think should never touch pavement has a small footprint. Engineers missed that mark.

Well not quite everywhere, but most! TBS even the GSA which some here think should never touch pavement has a small footprint. Engineers missed that mark.

No Ken, they don't think you should ever stop :dopeslap: Feel lucky they even put one on it in the first place.

Shawn

That's good! Then there would be less affirmation for the movement of the R12RT towards a Gold Wing like platform, rather than the wonderful SPORT touring bike it was in the R1100RT configueration.

The R1200RT is a much better SPORT touring bike than thwe 1100. I've riden the 1100, it's a lumberwagon compared to the 1200.

Lots of good suggestions in here. I'll add, don't make my oil fill port require a tool to open.

So some near-do-well can pour coke into my crank case? No thanks, I'll take the tool over the TOOL.

Archived