IGNORED

Announcement: UnRally XI. When and Where

EffBee

We've had the good fortune of having one of our members step forward to lead us into UnRally XI. He's been working hard, has visited the site a couple of times, has spoken to at least a dozen hotels, and made sure there's camping (as close as it can be) along with plenty of great roads for us with sport tourers and some challenging trails for those who want to kick up a little dust with their GS's and variants.

He's going to be announcing the Location and the Dates shortly. The actual hotel details are being fine tuned, and will be forthcoming soon after.

Ladies and gentlemen, please offer your thanks, and your help, to our own beemerboy!!!

Way to go beemerboy! Thank you for getting past the "where and when" to stepping up to do the work of UNorganizing :clap: Thank you to everyone on the team. :thumbsup:

....Randy Rabalais. I've lived in Colorado Springs since 1970 when the Air Force stationed my father at Ent AFB for his last assignment. Like many here I started riding dirt bikes in my early teens and my motorcycle passion later blossomed into street riding.

Many, many UJM's later, and after a 17 year absence from the sport, I returned to riding when I bought my '02 RT. I found this web site shortly thereafter. The RT's still in the garage but she's shared space with several K bikes and a Ducati. The Duc's gone and a K1200S "bumblebee" now keeps the boxer company.

After almost ten years of being an active BMWST member I now find myself in the unique position of REALLY being able to give back to this wonderful site. Like many here, I’ve attended some UnRally’s and a few regional gatherings but I’ve never volunteered to help make these events happen.

Earlier this year, when I saw some posts about a possible Colorado Un, I felt it was time to step forward and assist in any way I could. I’m humbled to have been asked to head up the effort to plan and implement the next Un.

Please make your plans now for attending UN XI in beautiful Salida, Colorado!

Dates: July 24 – 26, 2012

The 2012 Un site is nestled between the Sawatch and Sangre De Christo Mountain ranges and offers a myriad of riding choices; two national forests, long winding and twisty roads along the roaring Arkansas River, ghost towns for the DS riders, the Great Sand Dunes National Monument, Aspen, and mountain passes too numerous to mention!

Final lodging details are still being worked out, we’ll make the announcement regarding the facility, rates, etc., ASAP.

Please make your plans now for attending UN XI in beautiful Salida, Colorado!

Dates: July 24 – 26, 2012

The 2012 Un site is nestled between the Sawatch and Sangre De Christo Mountain ranges and offers a myriad of riding choices; two national forests, long winding and twisty roads along the roaring Arkansas River, ghost towns for the DS riders, the Great Sand Dunes National Monument, Aspen, and mountain passes too numerous to mention!

Final lodging details are still being worked out, we’ll make the announcement regarding the facility, rates, etc., ASAP.

These dates are the very best we could arrange. They fall right after the Top of the Rockies Rally in Paonia, CO (7/12 - 7/15) and the BMWMOA Rally in Sedalia, MO (7/19 - 7/22). Several members have asked for July dates. Additionally, there's no hotter month than August, which makes travel tough. The hotels really wanted us in August, when their vacationers start dwindling (proof positive). But Randy stuck to his guns and got us there in July, and is working on some excellent room rates for our HQ hotel. For those wishing more upscale or budget accommodations, just about all the hotels in town are within a mile on the same street. Randy will provide the details as he solidifies them.

This began with Roadscholar (Bill Ferran) who while traveling through Colorado offered to do a little reconnaissance work. He spent a fair bit of his personal vacation time visiting towns, hotels, campgrounds, lodges, etc. He found a couple that were isolated and scenic, but a little on the tired side. Or as Lawnchairboy put it, (paraphrasing) "The military's dumped me into some holes, so I can sleep anywhere. But I've been to a couple of these 'lodges' and some members, plus a lot of wives, are not going to be comfortable there." I know what they say about keeping momma happy, so I asked Bill to scout some more. He hit on Salida, I hit the internet, and it looked like we had some potential. Thank you, Bill.

EVERYONE: "Thank You, Bill. We owe you a beverage."

Getting people to volunteer was tough, and to be honest a little disappointing at first. I know people have lives, work, families, etc. But the Un isn't a year-long commitment. A recon trip or two, some face time with hotel management and some restaurant owners/caterers, and a call to Whip for some T-shirts. The rest, registration, name tags, etc. can be handled by assistant volunteers, as we're now finding a generous supply.

Suddenly, I get an email from beemerboy. Randy Rabalais decided that he wanted to give back to the community that has given him so much. I can't tell you how much that lifted our spirits. He was heaven sent. He's detailed, thorough, and the kind of person who can work with you or when needed take the lead and get you to follow.

Randy has made two recon trips, the second necessitated by a renege on the part of one upscale hotel based on their bank looking over their financial shoulder. On the second trip, hotel owners took him even more seriously, and we are on our way to a nice place, clean, affordable, and with good restaurant access. Camping (for those so inclined) is a run-through-the-gearbox away. Thank you, Randy.

EVERYONE: "Thank You, Randy. A beverage as well."

Randy will announce the details shortly. And over the next few weeks he'll fill people in on roads and activities from which you can select. You'll be able to make your own plans, set up your own rides, talk to friends about what you want to do together, and even connect with new friends at the event and make decisions there.

When you meet Randy, Bill, or any of the other volunteers at the Rally, do thank them from your heart. That's the same place from where their giving is coming from. Their hearts.

THANK YOU Randy, THANK YOU Bill, THANK YOU to the team, and last but not least, THANK YOU Fernando! I don't think there is a more central point to all the best Colorado roads than Salida!

Nice n Easy Rider
THANK YOU Randy, THANK YOU Bill, THANK YOU to the team, and last but not least, THANK YOU Fernando! I don't think there is a more central point to all the best Colorado roads than Salida!

+4 on all those Thank You's! :thumbsup:

Let's see, according to Google Map it's only 1726 miles. Of course, that's slabbing it so it'll probably be more like 2000. I guess it's time to start getting in shape for some long rides.

Must be something to complain about ... like Colorado, dates seem OK, roads are good, weather OK, not too far away, doesn't clash with Capitol Reef Classic.

:dopeslap:

Aha, Salida - ugly name!

:grin:

Must be something to complain about ... like Colorado, dates seem OK, roads are good, weather OK, not too far away, doesn't clash with Capitol Reef Classic.

:dopeslap:

Aha, Salida - ugly name! :grin:

Time to edumacate the masses. According to Wikipedia the name "Salida" is Spanish for "exit." Call it ugly, call it Salida, I don't care, I just wanna see YOU there! Ha! I made a rhyme. Geez...I'm so clever....

Now Caddis will have to choose between riding and fishing one of his favorite spots! I see and extended stay since we won't have far to travel....

~1800 miles each way......5 days off work, a weekend on each side......totaly doable :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Awesome. I can't wait to get back to Colorado!!!!

This is going to be fun!!!!

IN!!!!!!!

Tommy! Fantastic. It's been a long time.....

Killer too!!!

Wonder who else will come out of Unrally hibernation! :grin:

Thanks, Randy, for taking this on and to Bill for doing some of the leg work. It's a great location (was there last summer)and a great time of the year. Looking forward to it!

Alongside every lucky man is a great woman and I am a lucky guy.

My Sweetheart, Debra Arneson (Deb), accompanied me on the second visit to Salida. Deb has an extensive background in event planning, something that she does both professionally and as a volunteer for numerous charities. Deb's also a very successful Realtor here in the Springs.

After my first visit I told her of my findings and it became rather evident that I needed her input. She graciously gave up a Saturday on a holiday weekend to go with me to Salida to revisit the three finalists I'd selected and the rest is history.

Some of you may recall meeting her at the recent Fall Torrey event, here's a photo of her at the top of a nearby mountain pass near the end of Sweeper Madness:

Torrey2011002-1.jpg

Deb attended Un #5, the return to Gunnison, riding on the back of my RT. It wasn't long afterwards that she let me know she was interested in learning how to ride. She's on her second bike and has some serious road trips to her credit including a 742 mile sprint to Red Lodge, MT, this past summer. She's one tough chick!

Sounds like an event might happen after all. I was worried for a bit. :grin:

It's East meets West, North meets South, all in the middle.

Now to find a way to strap the DRZ on the RT... :/

Thanks to everyone involved.

MB>

It's a simple Saddle Sore 1000 away for me!! Cool!!

Same here!

Time to get RoadScholar to get us some maps.

;)

I'll work on getting some dualsport rides together, mostly the kind of stuff you can take the big bikes on (GS, S10, Wee, etc.), may need a little help getting it from page to screen though. I'm sure Randy and others can handle the paved routes, although it's pretty much just ride off in any direction, can't really go wrong. For the more technical off-road stuff I can refer anyone to a couple of locals, one of them knows it all (BTW, there is a guy in town that rents DS bikes). Also big-t and Kenny Haynes have ridden some of the single track and trickier passes around there on smaller bikes, so they may want to weigh in with some suggestions too.

But besides that I'll recommend two sources of information that will prove invaluable if you want to maximize your riding time while in Colorado. One is the recently released Butler Map of Colo. It rates each ride for scenery and fun factor, and includes some DS routes. The other has to be one of the most comprehensive and well-written riding guides available. It's called 'The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado' written by Steve Farson (sfarson on this forum). It may sound like I'm endorsing Steve but I don't know him other than his occasional posts, I've just read about half this book so far and it is a wealth of information, can't say enough good about it.

It's a simple Saddle Sore 1000 away for me!! Cool!!

Same here!

Time to get RoadScholar to get us some maps.

;)

I'll work on getting some dualsport rides together, mostly the kind of stuff you can take the big bikes on (GS, S10, Wee, etc.), may need a little help getting it from page to screen though. I'm sure Randy and others can handle the paved routes, although it's pretty much just ride off in any direction, can't really go wrong. For the more technical off-road stuff I can refer anyone to a couple of locals, one of them knows it all (BTW, there is a guy in town that rents DS bikes). Also big-t and Kenny Haynes have ridden some of the single track and trickier passes around there on smaller bikes, so they may want to weigh in with some suggestions too.

But besides that I'll recommend two sources of information that will prove invaluable if you want to maximize your riding time while in Colorado. One is the recently released Butler Map of Colo. It rates each ride for scenery and fun factor, and includes some DS routes. The other has to be one of the most comprehensive and well-written riding guides available. It's called 'The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado' written by Steve Farson (sfarson on this forum). It may sound like I'm endorsing Steve but I don't know him other than his occasional posts, I've just read about half this book so far and it is a wealth of information, can't say enough good about it.

Me likey!!!

LOL, I can answer that!

2 day trip for us, I love Colorado.

Thanks to Randy and BIll for sure. We just got a 1 day glimpse of some offroad riding and it was wonderful. Bring your camera.

OH YES I'M GONNA RIDE MY ITALIAN BEAUTY! I CAN'T WAIT!!!! :clap:

Oh wait you said trail riding. UMMMMMM NO. And it looks like I will be sharing my back seat with Lawnchair boy???

Archived