IGNORED

Ode to the GS as a Sportbike

David

By Jeff Hughes, in his "Benchracing" column, Sportrider, one of my favorite motorcycle authors

Glancing down at the cylinder heads hanging out and then back up at the rather cheesy windscreen reminds me of a conclusion I reached many years ago: the BMW GS series may be the ugliest motorcycles on earth....

Which is one of the reasons when I fall in behind the small group of sportbikes beginning their ascent of the mountain I have little in the way of expectations. Were I on my GSX-R1000 or K-1200RS I'd expect to hang with them for awhile. But a tall, lumbering dual-sport doesn't exactly come dripping with sportbike promise....

Life can be full of surprises.

Simply brisk at first, a subtle change of body language in the riders in front of me cues me to the change of tempo. They'll be intent on getting knee pucks on the ground, something I in my Aerostich can't do. Not that I'd be inclined to anyhow--not to mention how ludicrous such a thing would look on this bike. But even as the sweepers at the bottom give way to the tighter, more technical sections of this road; even as I feed in enough throttle to stay with these guys, I have to marvel at how effortless this bike turns, how fast it transitions, and how steadily it tracks. By the time I break off a handful of miles later I've come to a startling conclusion: up to the last few percentiles of what could be considered reasonable on the street, this is the easiest-to-ride-fast bike I've ever been on. My Gizzer would catch it in the end--and would flat smoke it on a racetrack, of course--but at the cost of a hell of a lot more effort. My K-RS would never even be in the hunt.

--October, 2005 issue

ClearwaterBMW

thanks david...

i felt the very same way in the mountains of GA, NC, and TN just 2 months ago. the bike is amazing. it really is a do-it-all wonder

thanks for posting that

greg

getting the knee pucks on the ground... -not to mention how ludicrous such a thing would look on this bike.

Can you imagine any idiot trying this grin.gif

... I have to marvel at how effortless this bike turns, how fast it transitions, and how steadily it tracks.

"Ahhhh," sighs another convert as he enjoys a sip of the Kool Aid. grin.gif

Anybody who wants mine will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

getting the knee pucks on the ground... -not to mention how ludicrous such a thing would look on this bike.

Can you imagine any idiot trying this grin.gif

Not just any idiot, but an idiot's idiot. tongue.gif

Rode my buddies GS a while ago. VERY easy to get it around the turns.

Rode another buddies KTM 950ADV today. The RT's gone as soon as I can find a buyer!

Talk about a hooligan bike! The GS may be more civilized, more refined (sorta), and more of a road burner, but this Katoom was just a hoot!

If I were planning on riding longer and/or touring, I'd be all over the GS in a heartbeat. There's just not much that beats it at that particular game.

M

And now that I added the Givi windscreen, I've now got an all-day comfortable touring bike that doesn't feel like a Peterbilt! I only hope to get good enough in the twisties to be all that this bike can be! I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy! cool.gif

If you think the GS is good in the twisties (which it is), you'd be amazed at what a VStrom can do. On my 650 VStrom, I can outcorner my riding buddy's RT1150, I have stayed with VFRs that were ridden by very competent riders with no problems on Wolf Pen Gap Road, and I can hang with most sportbikes on Blood Mountain. Plus, I ride the forest service roads up there which makes for quite the versatile machine.

If you think the GS is good in the twisties (which it is), you'd be amazed at what a VStrom can do. On my 650 VStrom, I can outcorner my riding buddy's RT1150,

No offense, but I should certainly hope so! smirk.gif

And now that I added the Givi windscreen, I've now got an all-day comfortable touring bike that doesn't feel like a Peterbilt!

this is the first I've heard of the Givi screen. I looked on their site, and it looks nice. The price sure is right! How much of a difference is it from the stock screen? How well does it fit? Got any pictures? For the price, this might be the screen for the 1200GS??!!

By Jeff Hughes, in his "Benchracing" column, Sportrider, one of my favorite motorcycle authors

Glancing down at the cylinder heads hanging out and then back up at the rather cheesy windscreen reminds me of a conclusion I reached many years ago: the BMW GS series may be the ugliest motorcycles on earth....

Which is one of the reasons when I fall in behind the small group of sportbikes beginning their ascent of the mountain I have little in the way of expectations. Were I on my GSX-R1000 or K-1200RS I'd expect to hang with them for awhile. But a tall, lumbering dual-sport doesn't exactly come dripping with sportbike promise....

Life can be full of surprises.

Simply brisk at first, a subtle change of body language in the riders in front of me cues me to the change of tempo. They'll be intent on getting knee pucks on the ground, something I in my Aerostich can't do. Not that I'd be inclined to anyhow--not to mention how ludicrous such a thing would look on this bike. But even as the sweepers at the bottom give way to the tighter, more technical sections of this road; even as I feed in enough throttle to stay with these guys, I have to marvel at how effortless this bike turns, how fast it transitions, and how steadily it tracks. By the time I break off a handful of miles later I've come to a startling conclusion: up to the last few percentiles of what could be considered reasonable on the street, this is the easiest-to-ride-fast bike I've ever been on. My Gizzer would catch it in the end--and would flat smoke it on a racetrack, of course--but at the cost of a hell of a lot more effort. My K-RS would never even be in the hunt.

--October, 2005 issue

Saw that article and after following one of those gawd-awful looking things around the smokies for a day I can attest to the fact that he is right on. In the hands of a skilled rider, it's quite a dangerous weapon. thumbsup.gifdopeslap.gif

Agree, the GS surprises many on more dedicated sporting things. Some say it really is just a big sportbike. Great torque, balance, handling, and wide handlebar leverage. Was following a Porsche a couple of months ago on a curvy road, on an 1150GS. Came up behind him as I led a group of about five riders. He took off but couldn't shake the GS. Didn't make his day. confused.gif

i wish my legs were longer.... then i'd try harder

Allright, I can't take it anymore. GS this, GS that. I really don't even want to think about it, but I am just an impressionable young man . . . and now I am getting that uneasy feeling that there is one in my future. Only one thing, I sat on one a few months ago and discounted it because of it's height. Greg, you are shorter than me, how do you manage?

beno

I guess I couldn't resist the siren's call either tongue.gif! I was riding a k12gt and made the mistake of 'test riding' a 1200GS. Herre's my ride at the Natural Bridge Hotel in the Shenandoah Valley.

38665326-M.jpg

Carl

Carl,

I notice you also have an '05 RT. Can you actually feel the hp difference between the RT and GT in your "normal" day-to-day riding? I'm wondering if the lighter weight and better maneuverability of the GS "masks" the 10hp deficit when compared to the RT. (I've not had an opportunity to actually do a side-by-side ride of both bikes.)

Shhhhhh. Pretty soon, everyone's going to want one. wink.gif

Don't worry, not everyone..... grin.gif

Shawn

Shawn, I'm going to, uh, have to ask the moderators to keep this thread from auto-deleting so when you DO get one, I can do the "nanny, nanny, boo, boo" thing with authority. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Shawn, I'm going to, uh, have to ask the moderators to keep this thread from auto-deleting so when you DO get one, I can do the "nanny, nanny, boo, boo" thing with authority. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Done. smile.gif

It's 56degrees here and I'm going to take advantage of the weather smile.gif! But I frankly have not noticed the difference that the 10 hp makes, and I think it is due to the weight difference. They are both agile bikes, although the gs more-so. Maybe I'm weird, (ok, I am weird grin.gif), but I appreciate the better handling of the RT over the extra HP of the GT that I came from. But nothing puts a smile on my face like the GS thumbsup.gif. Any more questions?

It's 56degrees here and I'm going to take advantage of the weather smile.gif! But I frankly have not noticed the difference that the 10 hp makes, and I think it is due to the weight difference. They are both agile bikes, although the gs more-so. Maybe I'm weird, (ok, I am weird grin.gif), but I appreciate the better handling of the RT over the extra HP of the GT that I came from. But nothing puts a smile on my face like the GS thumbsup.gif. Any more questions?
I had an '04 KRS. Impressive smoothness and power - maneuvering through traffic (in a relative straight line) was like "threading a needle". But I agree - the RT is a better handling bike - far less top heavy than the K-RS/GT and much more agile. (I always felt like the RS was fighting me in the turns.) Although I'm not particularly a fan of i4 engines, I'll be interested to see how the new GT handles.

TowJam, I was lucky enough to ride a GS right after riding the ST. To me, they are totaly different worlds. The ST has the edge on snappiness. The RT felt like a big fast boat just due to the weight difference.

Well you people have finally done it to me. Posts like this one and Miriam's "let's see your GS" have finally caused a meltdown in my feeble little motorcycle-addled brain.... I'm on my way to pick up my new (to me) 2001 R1150GS tomorrow thumbsup.gifgrin.gifthumbsup.gif!!!!! This also coincides with my 48th birthday, so it's Happy Birthday to me, from me, with love, enjoy!

Thanks, guys and gals, I guess tongue.gifgrin.gif! I'll add my photo(s) to Miriam's "show me" thread as soon as I have a Hero Shot to share. The GS is in Phoenix (1000 miles from home) and I hope to photograph it at the Grand Canyon and other similarly gorgeous spots on the way home. Yeeeehawwwwww!!!!!

Anybody interested in a beautiful used 2003 Suzuki DR650?? Something's gotta go and it ain't gonna be one of my Beemers! Hee hee hee!

Doug

R1100RT, K75 and now

R1150GS clap.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Shhhhhh. Pretty soon, everyone's going to want one. wink.gif

Don't worry, not everyone..... grin.gif

Shawn

I guess thread will be here a long.....long....long time then thumbsup.gif . I test road one this summer. Sorry, they are just not my cup of tea. Enjoy!

Shawn

ClearwaterBMW
Greg, you are shorter than me, how do you manage?

beno

i manage just fine

it's all about confidence

5'6"... 27-28" inseam

REGULAR SEAT/LOW SETTING

mount bike by putting left foot on left peg and swinging the right leg over...

when your weight is on the bike, the suspension compresses.... ok..... i need to lose 20#... maybe IF i do i won't be able to ride the bike

eek.gif

buy the bike

it is the best do-it-all bike ever invented

but, don't take my word for it... it's BMW best-selling bike by far

greg

ClearwaterBMW
Well you people have finally done it to me. Posts like this one and Miriam's "let's see your GS" have finally caused a meltdown in my feeble little motorcycle-addled brain.... I'm on my way to pick up my new (to me) 2001 R1150GS tomorrow thumbsup.gifgrin.gifthumbsup.gif!!!!!

FANTASTIC...

congratulations

let us know what YOU think

greg

we want pictures

You thing you don't have money now, just wait til you start "accesorizing" it! Besides getting dirty, they LOVE accessories! Just ask Ken, King o Bling! thumbsup.gif

You GS'er's are starting to wear on me, but I dont have the money now tongue.gif
I'm going to blame Greg for getting me interested in the GS. And this goes all the way back to the old i-bmw board (may it rest in peace). Or to put it another way - Don't engage in a private thread with him about the GS - otherwise, you will end up with a "GS on order" in your sig line. thumbsup.gif
ClearwaterBMW

well

i appreciate the props....

but the bike really sells itself if you go for a ride and fully get a feel for all that it can do.

on the other hand, no one should put themselves in financial disarray just to have one (and i know that goes without saying)

ride and enjoy what you have.... as long as you can... that's really the best advice

greg

I'm on my way to pick up my new (to me) 2001 R1150GS tomorrow thumbsup.gifgrin.gifthumbsup.gif!!!!! This also coincides with my 48th birthday, so it's Happy Birthday to me, from me, with love, enjoy!

Thanks, guys and gals, I guess tongue.gifgrin.gif! I'll add my photo(s) to Miriam's "show me" thread as soon as I have a Hero Shot to share. The GS is in Phoenix (1000 miles from home) and I hope to photograph it at the Grand Canyon and other similarly gorgeous spots on the way home.

Doug

R1100RT, K75 and now

R1150GS clap.gif

Doug congrats! Please note teh weather has cooled off considerably in Northern AZ and you may not find the Grand Canyon or the White Mountains very hospitable riding destinations at all - even had some snow over the weekend so please plan your route carefully and watch the weather!

If you need anything while in the Phoenix area please feel free to PM me, I will send you my phone number and you can cive me a buzz.

Take care, Bob

PS - Our birthdays are within a day of one another - same year!

Yea...Jeff's a funny guy when he's away from the key board and an accomplished rider.

My GS has stalked,caught and perished a few kids playing the game of tag in the local San Gabrials. Gawd I wish they'd take some track days....they make me nervous.

The GS is a pretty good do everything scoot when it's dialed in. It could use a tad more ground clearance though. It runs out of tire when the pegs auger in and let that be my "curb feeler"....must be the color. grin.gif

The GS is a sweet bike. No doubt that big adventure tourers will surprise many a sportbike rider on the street. I can't wait to see the faces of the squids when I pass them on this! smile.gif (see attachment)

619628971_604829-chadbikepose2(Small).jpg.11dddf7cb7a5729d84c9c49fad5a7d5e.jpg

I wish!

I'm only 6'5"...could barely play point guard in the NBA. smile.gif

My 36" inseam seems to handle the 35" unlaiden seat height quite well. After my 225lb butt squashes it down a bit, it's no problem whatsoever.

It's a highly entertaining bike to ride, that's for sure. Torque monster!

I like Buells and was initially was very interested in the Ulysses...

...Until I tried to mount one.

At 5'6", I would need one of those crane devices that knights used to get on their horses. wink.gif

Orange, nice Chad! smile.gif When I demoed one I made a boo-boo, started in 3rd. Didn't notice, discovered this when trying to upshift past 5th. Torque is the right word.

My GS isn't listed for-sale forum yet, but it's probably going to be. Nothing bad about the bike really.

I blame greg for getting more of my interest. I've always loved the GS's since I first saw one 3 years ago. I thought I would get one someday (and I probably will) but the ST stole me heart grin.gif

ClearwaterBMW

that ST is a great bike as well.

i'm glad that others are finding excitement in the GS and ST even though they don't have the raw horsepower of the K1200S or K1200R.

greg

Yea, smile.gif I'll get one. I figure this forum has what, almost 10,000 users. If we all pitch in and send me 2 dollars each, I can pay off some debt, and buy a new GS! grin.gifgrin.gif

Oh as far as excitement, 0-60 in 2.8 (KS) or 0-60 in 3.8 (ST). The later is more then enough for me smile.gif

I've never ridden an easier riding bike than the 12GS. Its cornering ability at all speeds is simply amazing. It makes the average competent rider like me far better. I suspect that a technically superior rider would have an awesome experience with the 12GS.

I saw that article, and as I was reading it, I couldn't help but thinking about you passing me at Barber on your GS! grin.gif

I kind of get it too. While I have never ridden a GS, I rode the Moto Guzzi at the Femmoto track day, and it too is a little more upright with wide bars, and it was surprisingly fun on the track! Very flickable and agile. TOTALLY different style than riding a sport bike, but still fun. thumbsup.gif

I saw that article, and as I was reading it, I couldn't help but thinking about you passing me at Barber on your GS!

Did I pass you? I'm sorry. I honestly don't remember that. (Other than waving and then rubbing it in whenever it happened. tongue.gif )

I saw that article, and as I was reading it, I couldn't help but thinking about you passing me at Barber on your GS!

Did I pass you? I'm sorry. I honestly don't remember that. (Other than waving and then rubbing it in whenever it happened. tongue.gif )

Ah yes, the famous Baker humility on display. grin.gif

When I was down at Barber for a track day, I saw a few GSes....in the B group! tongue.gif

Just kidding. I'm quite positive David could spank me on his GS (and anyone else short of Maladin or Rossi smile.gif )

Archived