IGNORED

Is this forum dying?

Green RT

Mike - excellent post, that's exactly what's needed. I wish I could post a picture and few lines of text directly to BMWST from my phone.

bakerzdosen
Mobile apps.... That's what's also hurting message boards.
Supposedly a true mobile profile is coming in the next version of the UBB software. However, that's still WAY behind schedule and I'm not holding my breath...
Mobile apps.... That's what's also hurting message boards.
Supposedly a true mobile profile is coming in the next version of the UBB software. However, that's still WAY behind schedule and I'm not holding my breath...

That would be great. I do a lot of my web browsing on my iPhone, and it's a less than perfect experience to use it to participate here. However, I also participate in some discussion boards that do have mobile formats and the content is usually constrained in some way that makes it less than ideal.

I'm with Quinn on this one, I do a quick check of my Facebook page on a daily basis, just to see if anything important has been posted, but I rarely post anything over there. It's best feature is it's weakness in my view; you have all these people from different walks of life, yet oftentimes I only want to post something of relevance to a small portion of that crowd. As it is, 99% of the material I see up there is a complete waste of time -- "if you agree with this, post this on your status" :rolleyes:

+1

The Viper Club of America is a forum that I belong to. They recently introduced mobile apps for the iPhone and Android phones that permit posting, replying and attaching pictures and videos.

I have sent their moderators a PM about the tech and will forward any info I get.

Francois_Dumas

MY number of posts most certainly has declined... and I suspect that's similar for at least a number of 'us'.

Reason? The Internet gets diluted. Facebook, yes. Twitter, yes. Other forums, yes. Mobile apps, yes. Google+ the latest, yes.

Add to that a real difficulty in personal economics forcing me to spend more time on other things than riding, communicating and fun stuff.....

But I don't think the forum is dying, it's too good a place for that :)

I'm a facebooker but still hit this site daily. I admit even with 100+ temps I am out riding most of the time and for once praying for rain instead of dreading it...Oh and playing words with friends seems to take a bit of my time also. :thumbsup:

Just knowing that it may be out there is good information. That would be a great tool.

This is a new forum to me but I was reading this thread with interest. I've been doing forums for a number of years and my observations of them go something like this.

The forums that are dedicated to single models have a very definite rise and decline. I was on a forum about Suzuki SV1000s since they came out in 2003. It was a very active forum for a number of years but recently has very little activity. One thing was that Suzuki discontinued the model because they didn't sell well.

Naturally over time a lot of owners sold theirs and went on to something else. The other thing that happened was that from a technical point of view we'd hashed over about everything that there was to hash over. New members who asked questions were greeted with the ever popular "do a search."

Eventually it comes down to a few hard core members who visit just to socialize but less and less over time and the forum eventually becomes an archive.

Your forum here would seem to me to be stronger in the sense that although it is pretty much about RT models they are still making them so you should keep attracting members. I could imagine your forums like Oilheads eventually declining as those models age and go out of service but presumably it would be replaced by whatever the new models are that come along.

For myself I'm interested in all sorts of bikes. I tend to shy away from forums where I find people who are, shall we say, intolerant of other brands or who think that whatever it is they have is THE BIKE and everything else sucks. Over 40 years of this and about 50 bikes I've never found THE BIKE nor do I think it is likely I will, but its certainly a fun chase.

• 2 years later...
The Viper Club of America is a forum that I belong to. They recently introduced mobile apps for the iPhone and Android phones that permit posting, replying and attaching pictures and videos.

I have sent their moderators a PM about the tech and will forward any info I get.

And the product is vBulletin Mobile Suite.

So is there interest in making the site mobile?

I don't have a smart phone, but it seems a group of mobile people would want something like that.

Nice n Easy Rider

And the product is vBulletin Mobile Suite.

So is there interest in making the site mobile?

I don't have a smart phone, but it seems a group of mobile people would want something like that.

I've posted and replied in the past using my iPhone. I just log on using Safari as my browser and then it's pretty much the same as using my computer. I have not tried posting a picture from my phone though so I don't know whether that functionality would work.

Peter Parts

I suppose I can see the value of a forum on a mobile device when you are sitting next to a dead bike in the middle of nowhere.

I suppose there is decline when a single model gets long in the tooth or even when nobody has much new to say about fixing. But forums like this one serve as an immensely valuable source of archived information.

For sure, I can't picture using this nice forum effectively on a tiny smart phone.

Ben

There is a NYTimes article about the waning participation in forums like this one. They are apparently being killed my FaceBook and Twitter. The author mourns their loss.

I have the feeling that the number-of-posts/per-unit-time is declining here as well. Am I correct? There seem to be fewer new topics than there were a few years ago.

Wow, some one actually thinks that the New York Times is believable. Now that is funny ...

This thread was dead for a while and then popped back up. Interesting.

Folks at MOA are struggling on how to attract younger members. Hearing some of the same stuff there as in this thread.

Most membership organizations, Moose, Elk, VFW, Mason, JC's etc are facing the same problems.

Younger folks are busier, have many more interests and don't want to go to meetings, no matter how related they are to one of their passions.

On line communities like BMWST are replacing the old style "club" structure with officers, dues, meetings etc.

It takes a long time for a forum like this to completely die.

I'm pretty sure it will be around after I'm gone. :grin:

I look at this forum on my smart phone all the time. Not sure what additional value a "mobile" version would bring, but I'm sure someone can tell me.

How many people have you "known" on line but never met face to face? A lot for me. I've met many of the members here but many more I haven't, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy their comments and contributions just as much.

I check 4 forums every day: Here, BMWMOA, Trailer Sailor and the Seaward forum (sailing).

Don't tweet or facebook. Have accounts for both but never got around to it. Missing something? Perhaps, perhaps not.

YMMV

Check the data on the OP. Nearly two years ago.

What does that tell us?

Tells me we are not dead yet. :clap::wave:

There is a NYTimes article about the waning participation in forums like this one. They are apparently being killed my FaceBook and Twitter. The author mourns their loss.

I have the feeling that the number-of-posts/per-unit-time is declining here as well. Am I correct? There seem to be fewer new topics than there were a few years ago.

Wow, some one actually thinks that the New York Times is believable. Now that is funny ...

You don't believe anything they publish is believable? Now that is funny............... :grin:

Check the data on the OP. Nearly two years ago.

What does that tell us?

Tells me we are not dead yet. :clap::wave:

Boy, Ken sure applied the paddles to this thread! Clear!

For those who don't know, there is a group called BMWSportTouring.com on Facebook. Hurry and you can be the 200th member, if FB is your thing.

I suppose a mobile version would offer better formatting of the information presented on this site, though there is no data connection between this forum and the FB Group. I could see value in the FB group to get word out quickly if one were stranded. FB users, assuming the proper FB settings, would likely see that message first due to the push notification format of FB, annoying as it is.

Either way, I still often think of this thread when I see that the number of active users on the Oilhead forum routinely trounces that of every other forum. Gone seems to be the day when we had hundreds of active users on at any given time. Not dead yet to be sure, but it certainly is past noon.

Yep, absent a strong intervention, I agree completely with Jake.

It looks to me like that intervention has not taken place, and post count is, IMHO, somewhere between half and 1/10th what it was 5-6 years ago.

I found the recent changes in moderators to be enough change to allow me to try participating again. But ultimately, IMHO, the board has not had a customer focus.

Lone_RT_rider

For those who don't know, there is a group called BMWSportTouring.com on Facebook. Hurry and you can be the 200th member, if FB is your thing.

Hmmmmmm....what is this "facebook" you speak of?

It looks to me like that intervention has not taken place, and post count is, IMHO, somewhere between half and 1/10th what it was 5-6 years ago.

I found the recent changes in moderators to be enough change to allow me to try participating again. But ultimately, IMHO, the board has not had a customer focus.

As one of the new mods, I would ask, in all seriousness, what sort of changes you would be looking for to reflect that customer focus? I will be the first to admit to a distinct lack of creativity on my own part, but I am perfectly willing to listen to ideas floated by others.

Thanks in Advance.

Hmmmmmm....what is this "facebook" you speak of?

Luddite.

As one of the new mods, I would ask, in all seriousness, what sort of changes you would be looking for to reflect that customer focus? I will be the first to admit to a distinct lack of creativity on my own part, but I am perfectly willing to listen to ideas floated by others.

Thanks in Advance.

I'll send you a brief pm.

How many people have you "known" on line but never met face to face? A lot for me. I've met many of the members here but many more I haven't, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy their comments and contributions just as much.

I am still glad to have gotten that shot of bourbon from you at the UN. That was a pleasant surprise!

I don't think this place is dead yet, we're all living longer after all!

:rofl:

Firefight911

I am still glad to have gotten that shot of bourbon from you at the UN. That was a pleasant surprise!

First time I met Matt was when he got off an airplane, I picked him up, he came to my house and stayed the night (yup, we got drrruunnnkkkk!), and the next day they got our car keys and a GPS to head off and explore the Napa region. My best friends in the world have been made through this and a couple other forums.

First time I met Matt was when he got off an airplane, I picked him up, he came to my house and stayed the night (yup, we got drrruunnnkkkk!), and the next day they got our car keys and a GPS to head off and explore the Napa region. My best friends in the world have been made through this and a couple other forums.

This is a great place!

The more you put into it by riding to events and meeting people the more you get out of it. The online forum part is only half of it IMO.

My life direction changed because of the people I met here....and my life is better because of it. The lovely Mrs Whip and I now share friends and experiences that would never have happen if we would have continued down the path we were on.

This shoulda been #10,000.

:wave:

Edited by Whip
  • Like 1

Thanks in Advance.

I'll send you a brief pm.

Thanks Jan.

The more you put into it by riding to events and meeting people the more you get out of it. The online forum part is only half of it IMO.

Whip, Matt, and Phil,

I hope you don't mind me distilling your conversation down a bit, but this ^^^^ is the part that resonates with me. The funny thing is, I've met the other two of you, and not Whip (yet)! I will be the first to agree my life is richer for having met a bunch of people from this board, and I still have many more to go.

OTOH, there are those for whom the online interaction gets the job done. Maybe they're geographically challenged (MTWallet up in the Dakotas comes to mind), or their schedules do not permit riding to events, or they're even more introverted than me (according to Myers-Briggs at least) and they prefer to ride on their own, and check in here from time to time. Maybe they just want some techinical advice. Whatever. If this place can serve them as well, not just those who show up at the UN, or Torrey, or the FART, then it has served a purpose. We need to keep those folks in mind as well.

I believe we do this already, and we need to keep on doing so, as well as serving the folks who choose to meet other members one way or another.

Just my 2 cents.

My pleasure.

I wish we could have had more time to talk. Perhaps at the next event?

And how does a guy like you get such a hot girlfriend? :lurk::grin::rofl:

I don't think you're the only one wondering about that Bud!

I don't think you're the only one wondering about that Bud!

One of the mysteries of the world my friends.

I for one am just thankful.

First time I met Matt was when he got off an airplane, I picked him up, he came to my house and stayed the night (yup, we got drrruUUUUUUUUUUUunnnkkkk!), and the next day they got our car keys and a GPS to head off and explore the Napa region. My best friends in the world have been made through this and a couple other forums.

Ayup, and that was just the beginning. The kinship I have experienced from this forum has definitely made my life better. Best friends I wouldn't have met, trips and trials I would never have attempted, and countryside I would have likely only flown over were it not for someone with a spare room and a little extra garage space for one more bike.

I think Whip really hit the nail on the head, the more that you do, the more people you meet on the road, the more you see at events, the better this place gets.

I have gotten advice on everything from troubleshooting my bike, riding it better, to managing my career. Travel advice in other cities/countries. I can't think of a better ace to keep than this forum.

• Like 1
lawnchairboy

I hate all you people.

That was my village grouch imitation. What ever happened to him?

I've met a bunch of good folks here, who I make the time to see at least once a year every year somewhere.

Chris

Edited by lawnchairboy

Looking through a key hole is how I would describe my long distance riding career before BMWST. This place has definitely opened a door for me.

The one thing that does suck though is when you expand your horizons and make friends far and wide the cruel reality of life has a much longer reach. If you pay attention and are vested just a bit, it hurts losing friends whether you've met face to face or not.

Pat

Looking through a key hole is how I would describe my long distance riding career before BMWST. This place has definitely opened a door for me.

The one thing that does suck though is when you expand your horizons and make friends far and wide the cruel reality of life has a much longer reach. If you pay attention and are vested just a bit, it hurts losing friends whether you've met face to face or not.

Pat

Could not of agreed with you more Pat :thumbsup:

Edited by enfoman

Like a lot of you I enjoy being on this forum. I can't compare the number of posts or the variety of subjects covered before I became a lurker and ultimately a member. If there was more volume of posts or threads before I wouldn't know it. I have observed the character of the conversations seems to have changed a bit-seemed more vigorous in the past. I don't mind pushing or being pushed to the edge of civility in exploring something. Friends argue, disagree, misunderstand one another cool off and come back to one another in the end. Life isn't all cumbaya (sp). Even those who I have come to expect predictable comments/positions that are diametrically opposed to mine have redeeming qualities that I would miss if this forum didn't continue.

Glenn, as for being geographically challenged-I am. I tell myself that "I have to meet these folks face to face." but don't have the vacation time or it's too far etc. I'm sorry I didn't meet Paul M. I assure you and all the other folks I want to meet that I will be a PITA in person one of these times. But in the meantime I'll see you all here.

I never twitted or face booked, am I missing something?

It's "Tweeted" and no. Destroying my Facebook account last year was one of the more gratifying things that I did.

Thanks for the historical perspective, Mike. A forum like BMWST is the most effective vehicle I have found for support questions, and for extended, thoughtful discussion (e.g., the Trayvon Martin thread). Maybe I'm just an old fart, but I find the relationships and sense of community in forums like this to be much deeper/stronger than in so-called "social media" sites like Facebook and Twitter.

Glenn, as for being geographically challenged-I am. I tell myself that "I have to meet these folks face to face." but don't have the vacation time or it's too far etc. I'm sorry I didn't meet Paul M. I assure you and all the other folks I want to meet that I will be a PITA in person one of these times. But in the meantime I'll see you all here.

Richard,

I have no clue what it's like to live where you are and have to travel the distances you would to get to any of the events. I hope you understand that's all I was referencing when I drew you into this directly. :)

If the stars align and you can get to an event here in the Eastern Time Zone, I hope it's one on my calendar so I can buy you a beer. No matter where you meet up with the group, I recommend you go ahead and be a PITA, talk to as many folks as you can, even if you can't remember their names five minutes later (like me), everyone I have met in person from this board has been very welcoming, even Chris who is pretending to be a grouch.

In the meantime, keep hanging out here and participating any way you are comfortable, and if you have any ideas about how the board might be made better, feel free to put them out there.

Glenn,

Thanks, but I didn't feel singled out. If I can remember your name after we meet I'll take that beer! If I cant't I'll probably just say thanks bud. That will be the dead giveaway that I'd already forgotten. :)

Glenn,

Thanks, but I didn't feel singled out. If I can remember your name after we meet I'll take that beer! If I cant't I'll probably just say thanks bud. That will be the dead giveaway that I'd already forgotten. :)

Sounds good Richard!

I'll probably just say thanks bud.

What's Bud got to do with this? :grin:

Maybe he'll be there too, and we can both buy Richard a beer! :)

I'll probably just say thanks bud.

What's Bud got to do with this? :grin:

Small "b" for bud. But if Bud joins us it sounds like the start of a party. :0

It's "Tweeted" and no. Destroying my Facebook account last year was one of the more gratifying things that I did.

Facebook: Because time just won't waste itself.

• Like 1

Facebook: Because time just won't waste itself.

Now that's just too danged funny! :rofl:

I do use Facebook as a means of keeping in touch with Friends (albeit, friends of varying degrees) and Family, but of course only at a certain level. I must admit somedays I'm much better at tuning out those who use it as a bully pulpit than other days. Recently I've not used it very much at all.

A funny poster I read on Facebook one day: I used to want to read minds to know what people were thinking ... that is until I got a Facebook account.

As for this board, due to it's broad base and use, I doubt it's going away anytime soon. Like others, I've learned a lot about riding itself, wrenching, and where to ride. More importantly, I've made some of my very best friends here (who I'll visit with riding or not) ... have numerous friends who I at least get to ride with, drink with, and laugh and lie to occasionally ... and a whole bunch of online friends who I just hope I get to meet one day, but am afraid I'm just not ever going to get to know very well. More's the pity, but overall it's a fantastic forum and I don't picture leaving anytime soon.

• 5 years later...

Found this interesting.   

Seems like the reports of our demise were greatly exaggerated! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
18 hours ago, Bud said:

Found this interesting.

Seems like the reports of our demise were greatly exaggerated! :thumbsup: 

Is there a link missing?