IGNORED

Headlight Modulators - Good, Bad, Indifferent?

rfc1992

As a driver and rider, I recognize the usefulness of headlight modulators as a call of attention to the presence of a motorcycle. I also question whether or not the attention it calls is positive.

Modulating headlights can be a serious distraction in traffic with their oscillating brightness. Do they impact target fixation? Does "see-and-avoid" becomes "see-and-investigate (closely)" on occasion?

In my unsolicited humble opinion (unsolicited opinions are the best kindgrin.gif), they are the loud pipes of the headlamp world.

I recognize the need to improve the visibility of my bike, but am looking into fixed lighting (i.e. PIAA, Motolight), additional breaklamps, and of course my obnoxious valve cap LEDscool.gifdopeslap.gif.

What is this groups view of Headlight Modulators?

I am interested and wonder if my opinion needs modification based on additional information.

I have a Kisan SignalMinder on my RT - wired to my high beam. I am very glad I have it. I can flip it on or flip it off. On the street I keep it off until I roll up on an intersection or in to heavy traffic, then I turn it on. I turn it on as I enter the freeway but if I get stuck behind someone and the thing is just modulating in their rear-view mirror, I flick it off.

Like with anything else, common sense needs to rule the day. Overall I am very glad to have it availanble.

Rob..

I agree with your feeling that a modulator can cause "target fixation" as I've noticed the occassional oncoming drifting towards the bike...They DO draw attention and this can be good AND bad...I don't agree that "they are the loud pipes of the motorcycle world." however.....

Kathy and I have them on each of our bikes and use them only when it's felt necessary....Turn them off when behind a car at a stop light,for instance..Use common courtesy and don't irratate the drivers of large pieces of metal.....Pick and choose when to turn them on and don't have them on at other times.....At times I find myself turning it on and off a lot and other times not using it at all......

I've considered PIAA type lights too......Just like "it's good to be king" ala Mel Brooks, it's good to be seen.....

Oh..We also have Hyper lites on the rear of both bikes that flash...

My input...

Phil......Redbrick

In my unsolicited humble opinion (unsolicited opinions are the best kind), they are the loud pipes of the headlamp world.

Actually, I think that headlight modulators provide increased visibility without being obnoxious... or at least much less so than bright fixed lights. A set of PIAAs left on during the day will not earn you many friends.

((What is this groups view of Headlight Modulators? }}

I am but one... but, I DON'T LIKE 'EM!

I prefer Motolights, properly aimed for always-on.

There was one on my bike when I bought it.

I, like others, pick my spots to use it. Usually only in heavy two lane traffic with lots of side traffic. It works very effectively. It is the people who tend to "dart out" from the sides that seem to "see the light" and make them pause. I think that they assume its a cop's lights and don't want to risk pulling out.

THe nice part is that it has a sensor for darkness and works like a regular high beam when needed at night.

Hey, if it saves my butt, it's worth it.

Personally I hate them. I once found myself fully fixated on one installed on a Goldwing... fully convinced me that I'd rather ride without a headlight than have one wired into my headlight. If you're looking for visibility go with bright clothes, a white helmet and add aux lights so that you have that all important triangle of light that catches the eye (without holding it)...

I dunno. I am a firm believer that drivers are not going to see you regardless of what you are wearing or the lighting you have. I have had drivers look me in the eye and move over into my lane.

On the other hand if they make someone feel safer (just like ABS...go ahead, flame on...lol) then they probably do hold value.

If you want to be noticed this is the most effective way. I have had these on a VFR, an RS and an RT. In all that time no one has even tried to turn into me. I doubt anyone else can say the same thing.

Personally I find them obnoxious. In the days when no headlight was required people frequently pulled out as if they had not seen me; I find that with my headlight and running lights (signalminder) I don't have any more drivers pulling out in front of me than I do in the cage. These are people who definitely see the bike and go anyway.

In all that time no one has even tried to turn into me. I doubt anyone else can say the same thing.

The one time someone tried to turn into me they were alongside me. A headlight modulator would not have been seen.

If you ride long enough and in heavy enough traffic then it is going to happen sometime.

Modulators, Motolights, Hyperlites, whatever.....We, as bike riders have to be more alert, more responsible and aware than the folks in "vehicles"....Our lives depend on it...It doesn't matter what device or method we use as individuals, what matters is that we stay out of harms way.... Blazer-Lites, Motolights, whatever devices we use, caution and attentiveness are the basics that really matter...We should equip our bikes with whatever we feel will assist us in staying safe........No lights, or enough to look like a WWII air raid.....Personal preferences...

Phil...Redbrick

I've had them on all my bikes, but truthfully I do also think they are a bit of a double-edged sword.

First echoing some of the others, anyone who relies on them or any other device/technique for others to see you is a fool.

I've never had anyone pull out in front of / across me when I had a modulator on. Did it help? Maybe. Would I count on it? No.

OTOH in day-to-day freeway driving I've had traffic both move aside when they saw me coming from behind and slowed way down when they saw me in their mirror. So from that persecutive the modulators get a mixed report card.

I guess my personal bottom line opinion is that I'd rather be noticed than not noticed and to that end they are good thing.

(Oh, and I wire mine to the high beam too so I can always just flip it off.)

Thanks for asking.

SOAP BOX/

I've ridden motorcycles "only" with headlight modulators for the last 100,000+ miles. Won't ride without one.

Target fixation argument is specious. Doesn't happen.

People see you. Some folk will get nervous when you are behind them, some folk will try to point out to you that your headlight is blinking, some even give you deference to pass, and rarely some seem irritated. This is fine because it means they SEE YOU. WHICH IS THE ONLY POINT OF HAVING A HEADLIGHT MODULATOR.

THEY SEE YOU.

THEY SEE YOU.

THEY SEE YOU.

THEY SEE YOU.

AND THEY ARE LEGAL IN ALL 50 STATES.

I'm a bit passionate about this because I was run over in 1969 by a woman who turned left in front of me at the very last moment, even though I thought I had eye contact with her, was doing the speed limit, was looking "all over the place," had the brakes covered, etc., etc., etc. It wasn't fun. I woke up looking at the A-arm of her front suspension. Destroyed my bike, crushed my helmet (fortunately not my head) and generally ruined my day for a month or two. AND, I was lucky.

THEY SEE YOU.

THEY SEE YOU.

THEY SEE YOU.

THEY ARE LEGAL IN ALL 50 STATES.

I'll share one last anecdote and then shut up.

I was on a group ride last summer. I was the only bike with a headlight modulator. At one point we were about a quarter mile behind one of those milk trucks with the very shiny polished aluminum ovals on the back tank. From a quarter mile away, you couldn't see ANYTHING in this big convex mirror.... EXCEPT my headlight modulator. No bikes were visible. Just MY HEADLIGHT MODULATOR. My riding buddies all commented on it at our next stop.

I'm always amazed at what seems to me like willful ignorance when discussing these things. With all the discussion about safety, riding skill, hazard avoidance, ad nauseum on this DB... when it comes to headlight modulators we sound more like the "I had to lay her down..." crowd.

And, just to cover all the bases, Headlight Moulators are not a panacea for safety in riding. I know that. They don't allow you to neglect all the other things a good rider should do to stay alive, including assuming (in spite of my Headlight Modulator) that no one sees me at all. So, there! dopeslap.gif

Okay, I'll shut up now. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

SOAP BOX STOWED/

Personally, I find them very obnoxious -- moreso than loud pipes -- and won't be putting one on my bike. I would rather ride without a headlight than with a modulator. But then, I also wear a black helmet so I'm clearly reckless.

As for being seen, keep in mind that it's only an intermediate goal and not an end in itself (unless you're just posing). The ultimate goal for most people who want to be more visibile is for car drivers to not cause them harm. The hope is that if one is seen, the driver will take care not to cause harm. This goal can be reached in a number of ways.

I got concerned about daytime visibility a few years ago when on car pulled out from the right and another turned in front on a Sunday afternoon ride.

I prefer auxiliary lights but use a modulator on the wife's Intruder because of it's low generator output.

My BMW has PIAA and the Harley has motolights.

We have't had any, repeat any cars turn or pull out since installing these lights so I feel they are effective.

We don't rely on them but they do help. thumbsup.gif

If my headlight blinking angers you, good at least you have seen me. Not only cars etc turn in on you. I have even had bikes do the same BB( before blinker).

If my headlight blinking angers you, good at least you have seen me. Not only cars etc turn in on you. I have even had bikes do the same BB( before blinker).

I wouldn't dare use a modulator anywhere in Europe, not for legal reasons (they would be illegal in the UK and most of Europe - flashing headlights are reserved for emergency services) but because anybody in a side road would see me flash my light, and interpret this as indicating I am letting them pull out in front of me. Not good at speed.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Folks distracted by flashing lights shouldn't be driving! I realize some are, but those are the folks who will hit us anyone. The modulator is for the rest.

As a non-biking rider, I had about a decade to observe modulators as a disinterested (non-riding) driver. My first (and continuing) thought was "WOW! That really works. If I buy a motorcycle, I'm getting one of those!!!".

Thankfully, unlike loud pipes they accomplish the intended purpose... increasing awareness among drivers in the best position to harm us. And, unlike most loud pipes... they are legal!

If you want to be noticed this is the most effective way. I have had these on a VFR, an RS and an RT. In all that time no one has even tried to turn into me. I doubt anyone else can say the same thing.

This has got to be one of the funniest things I've read on this board in quite some time.

You ought to sit down with ambulance/firetruck operators with many more flashing lights and nasty horns, for goodness sake, and ask "How's that working out for you?"

Headlight modulators are a placebo. And an annoying one at that. smile.gif

We can truly go mental trying to cover/ameliorate the shortcomings of others..other people and their equipment...Look at what the lawyers have done so far...YUCK!

I wear a bright helmet and bright clothing on a large black motorcycle which has antilock brakes and its headlights on all the time. I trust noone on the road (including myself eek.gif) which is why I check everything all the time. I am sure while I am checking a mirror a large rock will be thrown by the truck I am trying to get around and hit me in the head and then I won't have to worry about anything ever again!

Shit happens....worry about THAT eek.gifgrin.gif!!

Ken, I thought you had yours wired into the fog lamps. Why did you change them over to the high beam?

I wired mine into my fog lamps. They may not be as noticable (or distracting) and still have switching capability. I hope they help "catch the eye" of other drivers.

I live in California and lane split often. Now that I use the modulator, in conjunction with PIAA 1100's under the oil cooler and my high beam, traffic frequently parts in front of me. I like that. I feel no guilt. The combination really works, certainly not a placebo effect.

That said, I ride like I am invisible. I hope the cops never see me.

Just my opinion, but I find them annoying. I hate being in front of a rider with that damn light flashing in my mirrors for miles. That's way more irritating than loud pipes. If you are so worried about being seen, perhaps you shouldn't be on a motorcycle.

To those who said they use them only part-time, I appreciate it. Thanks for turning it off when you are behind me at a light or for miles of highway. thumbsup.gif

What is this groups view of Headlight Modulators?

Pretty diverse--some hate them, and some love them. I'm in the latter camp. I feel like it makes me much more visible. Many drivers clearly are jolted out of their somnambulant state by my modulator--it's obvious when it happens.

Those who don't like them view them as obnoxious. They can be if you're a jerk about using them, and I always try to be conscious of situations where they might cause someone else a problem--for instance, if I'm following closely behind another rider or driver, I'll switch it off.

Others imagine that we pro-modulator types think they make us invulnerable. I don't--I'm trying to maximize my chances of being seen, but I still ride like I'm invisible to the rest of the world. Fluorescent-painted fire engines with a dozen flashing lights and sirens are often completely missed by motorists--I feel like I'm evening my odds a little bit, but I'm not delusional.

Don't use them and have ridden hundreds of mile with my Father, he uses it and he could give a dang less if it annoys anyone, as a matter of fact I think he kind of likes it, I catch him in front of the plate glass in front of the 7-11 getting gas, admiring the hi lo hi lo of it all.

I think used like some have mentioned, at intersections or heavy traffic they are great.

BTW, there is recall on some of them in the MCN recent rag, apprears that the frequency is set so that the DOT deemed them to be a distraction to other drivers.

Later,

Motorcylist December 2005, page 81... "Install headlight modulator and/or high-wattage bulb. These are some of the most effecitve safety/conspicuity mods you can make."

I am not arguing that:

- Magazines represent expert opinion, and are always right.

or

- Magazines accept advertising, and are always wrong.

If you've ever had a modulator equipped bike riding toward you, it's tough to argue that conspicuity is not increased. The possible irritation and theorized "target fixation" are the most likely areas of disagreement.

but because anybody in a side road would see me flash my light, and interpret this as indicating I am letting them pull out in front of me.
Just as a side note, they flash (actually pulse is a better word) at a rate of 4 times a second. Far faster than a 'blink-blink' someone might Interpret as an intentional signal.
Headlight modulators are a placebo. And an annoying one at that.
David'sssss baaaack!

I know you don't like them David, but that's a bit of a rash statement. That they never work (the definition of a placebo) to increasing your visibility to others?

Ken, I thought you had yours wired into the fog lamps. Why did you change them over to the high beam?
Yeah I had the RT that way, but now on the GS I have it on the high beam.

Hmmm...it's getting cold out, isn't it? Time for a nice flame-fest. ;)

(Alright, I admit it, this thread is still pretty tame.:))

On topic again...

I've ridden w/ modulator (R100RT) and w/o (R100RT-P), in a state where black & white vehicles mean little. Also w/ fog-lights (large triangle) on R11 and w/o on R100.

Modulation seemed to have little/no effect on deer. (My only hit was on a Honda w/o modulator or fairing or deer whistles or fogs)

Fog-lights make the deer jump early, so I can see them, and the car in front of me hits them. eek.gif (just the other day!)

I often felt uncomfortable w/ the modulator on, in terms of annoying the other drives. Once the fogs were correctly adjusted dopeslap.gif, I feel just fine leaving them on all the time.

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE: NO STATISTICAL SIGNIFICANCE:

With modulator/no fogs, people did pull out in front of me, or into my lane. Not sure on the count over the last 10 years. ~15,000 miles. (yes, it was parked for several years!)

With fogs/no modulator only had one, and I was in her blind spot for ~5 seconds coming up the ramp to the freeway (no head-turn to check the blind spot:() in the last 5 months/~3,000 miles.

YMMV!

David'sssss baaaack!

I know you don't like them David, but that's a bit of a rash statement. That they never work (the definition of a placebo) to increasing your visibility to others?

What's rash about it? smile.gif

Show me some data from an unbiased source that they work enough to count on and I'll retract my statement. All this "evidence" in the thread is merely anecdotal stuff one step above deer whistles.

Yeah, I feel strongly about them, and not just because I've not seen evidence that they work, but because they are a lot more annoying to me than loud pipes. And you know the strange thing? I've noticed more motorcycles while splitting because of their loud pipes than anything they were flashing or wearing. You don't have to be looking at a motorcycle to hear it.

Did I really just say that? BTW, I'm not advocating loud pipes, either. I just find it quite humorous. thumbsup.gif

Well I agree that all we have is anecdotes. But at some point in time basic logic builds support where evidence / proof (such an elusive word anyway) is lacking.

The purpose of a headlight modulator is to generate "I'm here!" attention. The fact that people complain, sometimes bitterly that they are annoying is "evidence" that they work at their intended function of attracting attention.

That is my only objection to putting them in the same category of dear whistles. Lacking interviews with deer that have said, 'As a deer I find those whistles annoying so I stay away from roads', we can only make subjective conclusions if deer whistles work or not.

Not so with headlight modulators. We know people notice them. If for no other reason than to say, "They are annoying." So for their intended purpose of attracting attention to the presence of a motorcycle, they, at least sometimes, work.

Now whether or not that in itself enhances our safety, I'll grant you that is much more debatable. And I'm also with you 110% that they (nor any other visibility enhancing effort) should never be relied upon. But to say they don't ever work to attract attention, thus they are a placebo, that I disagree with.

Not so with loud pipes. We know people notice them. If for no other reason than to say, "They are annoying." So for their intended purpose of attracting attention to the presence of a motorcycle, they, at least sometimes, work.

Fixed it for you. tongue.gif

By the way, would you believe it if I told you that more motorcycles get stopped by police for headlight modulators than loud pipes? grin.gif

But to say they don't ever work to attract attention, thus they are a placebo, that I disagree with.

I didn't say they didn't work, right? I said they were placebos, which do in fact work to enhance health (or safety, in this case).

And where's the data I was looking for? Seriously, somewhere there must be a scientific study on this. Kind of like the guy in the gorilla suit who walked across the street and was unnoticed by drivers? grin.gif

My headlight modulator and open exhaust just weren't getting me noticed in traffic the way I would like, so I had my bike painted Big Bird Yellow. Then I attached two extra-large American flags to the luggage rack. An old lady who was applying makeup tried to merge into my lane, so I realized I needed more auditory notification of my location. So I special ordered some air horns that blast out "Born to be Wild" at 128 db with all the verses and guitar solo! The horns were okay, but I had to add a pair of 14" subs to the side cases to really bump the bass line. Now I can turn it up to 11 and crack concrete.

Now you should see how many folks notice me in traffic! Many even point and shake their heads. I'm pretty sure they are saying, "I won't turn in front of THAT guy!" eek.gif Sure, I may be annoying some -but they NOTICED me and that's the point after all.

smile.gif (There's the smiley so you know I'm just kidding. I would never really turn it up to 11 because I'm concerned about progressive hearing loss.) grin.gif

Fixed it for you.
Moderator abuse of privilege! Moderator abuse of privilege! Someone notify the owner of this web site! Oh wait... tongue.gifwink.gif

I still don't buy into the argument that headlight modulators and loud pipes are apples-to-apples. For one thing one is legal and the other is not. But I will grant you that there are more studies to show that loud pipes don't enhance safety than there are that headlight modulators do!

I said they were placebos, which do in fact work to enhance health (or safety, in this case).
OK, I can play with those words for awhile... The placebo effect in health says you get better when you do something (usually take something) that is known to be ineffective in treating the condition at hand. Right? But yet you still get better because you think the something you did is suppose to make you better. It's a physiological reaction effect thing.

So if by extension a headlight modulator is a placebo to safety, that is it makes you safer when it is known to be ineffective in making you safer, then where is the placebo effect coming from? The physiology of thinking you are more safer, therefore you are? After all a placebo has to have an actual positive effect by definition. It seems if anything the physiology would be that you think you are more safe when actually you aren't. Which would not make headlight modulators a placebo at all!

I said they were placebos, which do in fact work to enhance <snip> safety in this case.
Ah, so your bottom line postion is that they DO work. It's just that you don't like them, right? wink.gifgrin.gif
OK, I can play with those words for awhile... The placebo effect in health says you get better when you do something (usually take something) that is known to be ineffective in treating the condition at hand. Right? But yet you still get better because you think the something you did is suppose to make you better. It's a physiological reaction effect thing.

So if by extension a headlight modulator is a placebo to safety, that is it makes you safer when it is known to be ineffective in making you safer, then where is the placebo effect coming from? The physiology of thinking you are more safer, therefore you are? After all a placebo has to have an actual positive effect by definition. It seems if anything the physiology would be that you think you are more safe when actually you aren't. Which would not make headlight modulators a placebo at all!

Yada yada. Quit yapping and go find some research that they are effective. tongue.gif

blast out "Born to be Wild"
Well there's your problem right there. Everyone knows little old ladys won't pay any attention to that song. grin.gif

I knew this was the right place to ask the question. It is too bad no-one had an opinion grin.gif.

What I have learned:

* Headlight Modulators have an on/off switch. Cool, I thought they were either always on or you didn't have one.

* They can be an annoyance - I knew this but the opinion was seconded (many times).

* They are a means to promote visibility - pro or con, the modulator is (i) at least as effective as the light and (ii) can be, per opinion, more visibile.

I have drawn the following conclusions from this post:

- This site, due to its members and proprieter(s), continues to amaze me as a source of information. clap.gif

- I can do much more to promote my personal safety by increasing the visibility of my bike (which is, for this purpose, stock).

- Headlamp Modulation is a potentially useful means for achieving greater visibility (I use potentially, not as a derogatory but as descriptive, flashing break lamps are potentially useful too).

- I am not quite ready to install a modulator on my bike yet, but am now more open to those riders who use them (thoughtfully) and to the idea of buying one for myself.

- My order of preference is:

+ Cool new "Black" reflector tape on the saddlebags.

+ Auxiliary brake lamp (LED, Flashing)

+ Auxiliary lighting in the front (PIAA, Motolights, etc.)

+ Converting incandescent turn signals and brake lights to LED

+ Currently have a white helmet, insure new lid is reflective

Thanks to all who shared your opinions. I think that the carte blanche comparison to loud pipes is inaccurate. The key with these Headlight Modulators is, like most things, judicious use. If I see them in heavy traffic, I will better understand them. Their use in clear interstate travel leaves a bit to be desired, especially for oncoming traffic.

Thanks again and feel free to opine on my list above or anything else (as if you needed an invitation grin.gif).

I have a modulator on my RT. I have had people in my neigborhood tell me they would not have seen me coming if not for my blinking lights. ( sunset etc. ) My modulators never woke anyone up from a sound sleep so the loud pipes comparison don't fly. I believe in them and will continue to use them. Like the helmet law to each his own.

* Headlight Modulators have an on/off switch. Cool, I thought they were either always on or you didn't have one.
Just to clarify a bit, they do not have a rider controllable on/off in itself. At least the Kisan one that the majority of us around here use. If you wire the modulator to your high beam and you don't want a modulating light at the moment for whatever reason, you turn you high beam off. Same if you wire one to other lights (such as the fog lights on a R1150RT). You just can't wire one to your always-on low beam and turn the modulation part off as it come from the manufacture. (Of course there are ways to do anything, but I'm talking about the stock configuration here.)

What they do have is a photo sensor that when it gets so dark the modulation part quits and the light is then just on. And the sensitivity of that point can be adjusted somewhat.

See, I told you so! "I JUST HAD TO LAY HER DOWN!" tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Shame on you, David! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

smirk.gif

Hey. I tried to stay out of this thread. It just pains me to see riding friends I respect so misled by their own demons rather than science. I cannot stand idly by while good people persist in believing that witchcraft will heal.

I do what I can.

Joe Frickin' Friday
It just pains me to see riding friends I respect so misled by their own demons rather than science.

So you prefer them to be misled by science. Right, that's why I'm here. crazy.gif

I do what I can.
Yeah, and we all respect you for that, too!

But, you toss off anecdotal evidence / experience / argument as though it were meaningless. We certainly don't do that in "Ride Well" or in "Trip /Event Planning" or the tech pages, now, do we? No, we sort the pepper from the fly specs as best we can, but we don't dismiss anecdotal evidence ipso facto. Why is this different? Those of us with tens of thousands of miles of real life experience with headlight modulators count for nothing?

If we took that position, a priori, with all the subject matter discussed on this board, well you might as well shut it down. confused.gif

On the other hand, if this is just a "hobby horse" of yours regarding headlight modulators, well then we all understand that, because we all have our favorite ponies. grin.gifgrin.gifwink.gif

Archived