IGNORED

Lost my Motorcycle Mojo. Will be selling my almost new R12RT

VinnyR11

I think it's time... After almost 40 years of riding and loving every minute of riding bikes, the thrill is gone. I'll put off riding on a nice day simply because I don't feel like going through the ATGATT routine. I'll take a gorgeous ride (like I did yesterday) and not come back thrilled and rejuvenated. I no longer look longingly through my maps to find our next motorcycle tour. Very odd.

It's not the bike. I love my new R1200RT, and was hoping it would bring back some of the lost energy, but it never did. I've tried smaller bikes thinking maybe it's just too big, but no deal. It's been a long process of soul searching, but the answer I've been avoiding is the right one. I think I'm done with bikes...at least for now. Who knows, maybe I just need a year or two off.

My plan is to sell my almost new RT for a very fair price...LOOK for a deal in the classifieds coming within a week or so, or PM me if interested.

I'll probably buy a nice used Miata, which I love driving but have never owned. It is the closest car to a motorcycle IMHO.

It's been an amazing time. Great bikes and great people. Very few things have given me more enjoyment, but life goes on.

beemerman2k

Good for you for being brave enough to listen to your heart. Motorcycling exists to serve you, not the other way around :thumbsup:

Please do hang around here and provide your insights and reflections on motorcycling and in living a quality life. In fact, you may be in a good position to encourage others who may need to ask the same questions you did, and to help them though the process of reevaluating their lifestyle.

But I applaud your commitment to employing all elements in the service of your life, rather allowing them to be something your life serves.

Oddly I never pleasure ride. I never ride just for the purpose of going for a ride on a nice day. When I get on a bike, I have a practical purpose and destination. Besides employment reasons, motorcycle riding is just an alternative to taking the car.

When the mission justifies taking the bike, I ride.

Perhaps viewing your RT as a transportation tool rather than a pleasure tool, keeping it would make more sense.

You will own another in a few years, the bug to ride is always part of your soul.

Dennis Andress

Maybe a new direction is what is needed. Have you thought about doing track days?

Oddly I never pleasure ride. I never ride just for the purpose of going for a ride on a nice day. When I get on a bike, I have a practical purpose and destination. Besides employment reasons, motorcycle riding is just an alternative to taking the car.

Perhaps viewing your RT as a transportation tool rather than a pleasure tool, keeping it would make more sense.

You will own another in a few years, the bug to ride is always part of your soul.

thanks. I've thought about that. I do use my bike for practical runs, and for a large part of the year it was my only transportation. In that area, we differ, because I always preferred a fun car to the bike for pure transportation. Forever bikes for me were always a source of pleasure.

Maybe a new direction is what is needed. Have you thought about doing track days?

LOVE track days. I've done track days on a bike, and I was an instructor for the Metro and Northeast regions of the Porsche clubs for a number of years. $$$ is the biggest obstacle for lots of track days now. Still have it in my sites though.

May autocross the Miata.

Good for you for being brave enough to listen to your heart. Motorcycling exists to serve you, not the other way around :thumbsup:

Please do hang around here and provide your insights and reflections on motorcycling and in living a quality life. In fact, you may be in a good position to encourage others who may need to ask the same questions you did, and to help them though the process of reevaluating their lifestyle.

But I applaud your commitment to employing all elements in the service of your life, rather allowing them to be something your life serves.

Thanks. I will stop by here now and then. Too many excellent people to avoid it. I always enjoyed your intelligent and thoughtful posts.

Motorcycling has long been something I've enjoyed, but I don't claim to be nearly as hard-core as a lot of folks here. I've actually contemplated a move somewhat along the lines of what you're doing. It's easy to let the expectations of others dictate your life; my advice would be to follow your heart. If it's somewhere else, why take on the risks associated with riding?

+ 1. Besides, it's great to have another DADA fan around!

Vinny... I'm kinda going thru the same thing. My wife and have horses. My wife has 14 yo arab mare and I a 7 yo buckskin QH. I really enjoy trail riding more than the thought of getting on the 1150RT. My RT still sits uncovered in the garage.

Last summer I bought an S2000 for my wife as a good weather car for going back and forth to work. I always said I would never ride a Trike or Sidecar bike and before I'd do that I'd buy sports car convertible. I find that I enjoy the S2000 as much as I do the RT. In addition... I highly recommend you consider the S2000 over the Miata.

Rob

beemerman2k
Last summer I bought an S2000 for my wife as a good weather car for going back and forth to work.

I always promised myself that if I was ever rendered incapable of riding a motorcycle, that Honda S2000 would be my car of choice. I'd give it a vanity plate that says something like CBR20XX or something like that. When the top is down on that car, it sure looks like the next best thing to being on a motorcycle :thumbsup:

I hear what you are saying. I have been riding for about as long as you and I have always looked forward to the ride but lately the car looks better to me and a whole lot safer. Been thinking about the up coming MOA rally in PA and the thought of droning across this country on two wheels does not fill me with much enthusiasm, just makes me tired..real tired. Riding in this country is just not what it used to be as there are just tons more cars and trucks on the road and all seem to be in one big hurry, just not fun. :(

Bought myself a new '11 Stang GT that will just flat eat a beemer for breakfast and in a whole lot more creature comfort. :D

I burned myself out for awhile as well. I had used my RT for my main source of transportation for 3 years while supporting my wife through nursing school. I was commuting through rush hour traffic about 600 miles per week back and forth to Baltimore. I took weekend trips for the BRR's, RCR's, and some UNrallys, but I never rode locally for pleasure. I was either commuting or on a trip, no in between. That all came to a head last June when I was just completely burned out. I ended up parking the bike and didn't ride it once until I left for the BRR a few weeks ago.

During that trip, I had a bit of a slap in the face about how much I missed riding. Not the commuting of course, but those lonely mountain roads in the middle of nowhere. If you take the ride and don't get the slap in the face, then it sounds like its time to do something else for awhile, or maybe indefinitly

Sell the bike, take a break, if you end up missing it one day just buy another one. :thumbsup:

Danny caddyshack Noonan

You aren't alone. When working a bike, my Shadow sat in my garage. Friends would want to go on a ride and my thought was "why would I go on a pleasure ride?".

The context of motorcycle is entirely different for many who do it for a living.

I commute on the RT any day that doesn't look like rain or 100+ degrees.

Now, I love just taking a TMR! :clap:

Now the kids are legal, the wife goes to!

Interestingly, I do feel the same as Vinny about my TR6 that doesn't get its English tractor engine shaken to hell and back anymore due to the RT affinity. It's kind of a PITA to get out of the garage.

Good to hear that others have gone to some MC withdraw syndrome and it is not just me. It has happened a few times and I am fine without a bike for a while but the MC-bug always bites me and have to have an other one or two.

Purpose MC riding rarely works for me because I always need to haul something or someone. Annual long trips are always a blast. MC + tent camping + hike works best for me.

At first I did not want to read this thread because I thought it will be a downer and may follow suite, but as others chimed in I feel like it is still a good idea to keep an iron pony in the garage.

I seldom ride when that inner voice says take the van. Right now I am just not feeling it either. I am sure that will change soon. I am glad I listened to that inner voice yesterday, something about 1" hail. And that morning I told my self I should ride, it's nice. Glad I listened to that inner voice.

No guilt, no second thoughts. You have fun with your new hobby, and post once and a while. Wish I had cash for the RT. Good luck!

Rod

Geesh Vinny, I'm gonna miss ya . . .

You gatta do what you gatta do. Bravo to that.

I lost quite a few hobbies in the past 15 years. I almost lost motorcycling 4 years back. My Yamaha just sat for almost two seasons. I was real busy with family and house projects. But it was more than that. I just did not want to ride as I once did.

I traded the Yamaha and picked up my RT and explored a new world of BWM folks. Folks here and other places. I think the people, not the bike, brought back the sport. Now, I have so much I want to do with biking and not enought time to do even 50% of it. I even want to get a dirt bike and get some trail riding in.

Whatever you do, hope you have a great time doing it. Hope you chime in often . . .

Bob,

I find this describes my riding a lot too. My bikes are 80% basic tools to take me to work places, or use them for scouting tools to go places I don't want to thrash around in a 4x4.

The 20% pleasure riding is taking my wife out to a far away breakfast in the country and things like that. Rarely do I "just ride" to ride. Me thinks that's why there is no "burn out" to this point.

I can certainly understand where the OP was coming from.

ellaguru2u

I've been riding bikes for 45 years. Apart from a 6 month (winter) break I've had a bike for all 45 years. My wifes waiting for me to grow out of it.

Prior to retirement I would ride to work, get on my work bike, work really hard so I could take the work bike for a long ride in the 2nd part of the shift. Then ride home.

On my day off ... yep, I'd ride my bike.

I still get a big thrill riding my bikes and if I ever felt I'd lost my motorcycle mojo then I dont think I could carry on.

I'd have to discover something better ... sex perhaps .. Nah.

Vinny...

Last summer I bought an S2000 for my wife as a good weather car for going back and forth to work. I always said I would never ride a Trike or Sidecar bike and before I'd do that I'd buy sports car convertible. I find that I enjoy the S2000 as much as I do the RT. In addition... I highly recommend you consider the S2000 over the Miata.

Rob

The S2000 is also a great and fun car. I'll be looking for a very low mileage car in terrific shape, and the S2000's are above my price point.

Geesh Vinny, I'm gonna miss ya . . .

You gatta do what you gatta do. Bravo to that.

I lost quite a few hobbies in the past 15 years. I almost lost motorcycling 4 years back. My Yamaha just sat for almost two seasons. I was real busy with family and house projects. But it was more than that. I just did not want to ride as I once did.

I traded the Yamaha and picked up my RT and explored a new world of BWM folks. Folks here and other places. I think the people, not the bike, brought back the sport. Now, I have so much I want to do with biking and not enought time to do even 50% of it. I even want to get a dirt bike and get some trail riding in.

Whatever you do, hope you have a great time doing it. Hope you chime in often . . .

Thanks.

I agree that the people have a lot to do with it. I think I was drawn to bikes for the bikes, but drawn to Beemers for the people.

Hey Vinny

Sometimes Mojo leaves, and then returns later as mojo (lower case) ...

Drop in here sometimes, and let us know what you're driving. Or riding :)

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Penforhire

I can certainly see it happening. I always figured it'd be just one more close call or a sense of personal fragility that makes me hang up my spurs. Maybe riding around too often staring at the front axle, wondering if the wheel is going to fall off.

Vinny, isn't it wonderful to do what you want when you want? I slipped away from riding, bought a fun sports car and wondered if I'd ever get on a bike again. THEN I moved to the country and out of the blue this strong desire for riding returned.

I wouldn't have been able to predict any of that, but I did listen to my inner voice and I just did what seemed right for me. I'm happy for you. You are going to love the car. I absolutely LOVED not having to ATGATT. Be sure to get enough power and really good brakes because whatever you loved on the bike you'll want in the car. Every time I opened the 9 cubic foot trunk trunk I thought "Wow, this is HUGE". :grin:

moshe_levy

It's hitting me hard as well lately. Wife's about to give birth to daughter #3 in 8 weeks. 2 year old and 9 year old running around the house, and here I am on the NJTP dodging trucks in rush hour.. I didn't even take my bike out until a week ago this year (unheard of for me - I usually ride year around) and when I did, I was so paranoid and rusty that I hated the whole ride. I've been dipping my toes back in, far preferring tiny rides on the R100S than the RT these days. Not even 500 miles on yet for the year.... I dunno, I just don't want to leave my kiddies without a dad. Starting to feel that pull of familial responsibility.....

-MKL

Yes, I hear what you say moshe and it is good to have concerns about your family. My child is grown and on her own so I don't have that worry but my wife always rides with me and she enjoys it but won't learn to ride her own machine. This causes me concern because if I mis-calculate or if the cage driver doesn't see us then the resultant could be serious injury to not only myself but also her and that has begun to weigh heavy on my 67 year old mind. And I know I am not as fast reflex wise as I once was, just how it is. I have talked about my concerns with my wife and she always says she is OK with it but I think she may be saying that because she knows how long I have been riding and how much it has meant to me. A lot to think about. Funny, I never used to have these thoughts. Man, am I getting sappy or what? :/

I crashed and burned on a GS850G Suzuki once about 30 years ago and had a few stitches and a concision. Took me some months before I could remember well at all. I was riding solo at the time and that was a good thing.

I did the same thing 5 years ago. Never thought I would give up riding but after 45 years of dirt and street bikes and never going down on pavement, I felt it was time to stop and remove one risk. Think I actually became afraid of crashing and I lost a couple friends on bikes. 90 year old mom to take care of, wife with MS, and a sore back also said to quit. The wife didn't want to ride anymore and had trouble with riding in summer heat so it was something we could not do together anymore. If my back said ok, I would be on a dirt bike again in a minute and visiting Killer in Utah for some travel. I almost got back in last year but the boss asked me not to so I went along. Went out and bought another old car to rebuild.

Good luck with your decision. I hope it is the right one for you. I still wonder if I made the right decision to stop. But, by all means find something else fun to do. Without my cars, I would go nuts! No matter how old you are, "Boy's still need TOYS!"

Les is more

I can only echo those who have said to follow your heart. You have been such a helpful and active presence here. I hope that you'll drop in from time to time to enjoy the community and to let us know what's happening. No goodbye. Just farewell until next time.

It's hitting me hard as well lately. // and here I am on the NJTP dodging trucks in rush hour..

There is just so much we can't control. Texting really concerns me. 25 years ago I had my first and only (so far) accident when a car pulled out in front of me. I was fine, bike - no so much. This was in the 80's and my grandfather, who was born in 1899 and rode for many years was very concerned. He said that there is 'just so much more traffic nowadays' than when he was riding. How you guys manage in urban areas is beyond me.

I have been evaluating my current riding future as well - what with a new wife in the works soon. I'm not ready to give it up, and may not. Right now I always seem to choose the bike over my old bimmer when I have a choice. Like Vinny and others have shared - a fun car can help fill the void, and (for my skill set anyway) I've always pushed my cars harder than my bikes. I'm not sure I want to get to the point where I'm comfortable in the twisties at 9/10's on a bike.

If the pleasure has disappeared from the riding or the potential hazards seem to outweigh the benefits of riding - then what's the point? I think you've made a wise decision Vinny; and I hope all of us can adapt a similarly judicious approach in evaluating areas of our lives that may require a new assessment.

Have around 45 yrs of riding also,40,000-60,000kms a year.I rarely commute on the bike almost always ride for sporting pleasure.Kind of lucky in some ways that the riding season is 7-8 months long and at the end of season wonder if I want to give up motorcycling.Than of course spring hits I get on bike and think man I love motorcycling! and I have put on another 6000kms in 6 weeks.I do know the time will come and will trade in for a can-am spyder just not yet.

Vinny, isn't it wonderful to do what you want when you want? I slipped away from riding, bought a fun sports car and wondered if I'd ever get on a bike again. THEN I moved to the country and out of the blue this strong desire for riding returned.

I wouldn't have been able to predict any of that, but I did listen to my inner voice and I just did what seemed right for me. I'm happy for you. You are going to love the car. I absolutely LOVED not having to ATGATT. Be sure to get enough power and really good brakes because whatever you loved on the bike you'll want in the car. Every time I opened the 9 cubic foot trunk trunk I thought "Wow, this is HUGE". :grin:

Thanks Kathy. It is wonderful to have choices.

ATGATT played a fairly big role in my decision. The tipping point came when I met my best friend at our usual spot down by the ocean. He rides a bike and also owns a Miata. We normally both take our bikes. He showed up in the Miata in shorts and t-shirt and said, "I just didn't feel like putting all that gear on today." I knew that I didn't feel like it either, and haven't for a while.

And yes, I am really looking forward to that HUGE Miata trunk! Only 5.3 cubic feet...probably not much more than my bike's combined storage! :)

Things always changing. If I felt as you, I'd do the same. Perhaps open another life chapter without riding.

Live long and prosper.

Fear does crazy things to a person.

I wanted to give up riding quiet the few times: after hitting a dear (actually the dear hit me, ran into the bike) on the MC, many close calls with cars, and the number of fatal Mc collisions in the local news paper. There are many ways to die every day; can not let paranoia/fear drive a me/person to MC exile.

ATGATT on the other hand is taking a toll on my dirt bike riding days. Riding an ATV with less gear (but with a helmet) just seem more enjoyable these days. i know a day will come wheh i will feel like the OP.

Frank Cloud
Vinny... I'm kinda going thru the same thing. My wife and have horses. My wife has 14 yo arab mare and I a 7 yo buckskin QH. I really enjoy trail riding more than the thought of getting on the 1150RT. My RT still sits uncovered in the garage.

Rob

+1 on the S2000 over the Miata.

I did the same thing 5 years ago. Never thought I would give up riding but after 45 years of dirt and street bikes and never going down on pavement, I felt it was time to stop and remove one risk. Think I actually became afraid of crashing and I lost a couple friends on bikes. 90 year old mom to take care of, wife with MS, and a sore back also said to quit. The wife didn't want to ride anymore and had trouble with riding in summer heat so it was something we could not do together anymore. If my back said ok, I would be on a dirt bike again in a minute and visiting Killer in Utah for some travel. I almost got back in last year but the boss asked me not to so I went along. Went out and bought another old car to rebuild.

Good luck with your decision. I hope it is the right one for you. I still wonder if I made the right decision to stop. But, by all means find something else fun to do. Without my cars, I would go nuts! No matter how old you are, "Boy's still need TOYS!"

It sounds like you did make the right decision. I also agree that "boys still need TOYS", which I interpret as "everybody needs SOMETHING". If I quit half of my hobbies, I'd still have full days. Bikes were just one segment of my life and that time will be replaced by something I'll enjoy even more at this stage.

Good luck and enjoy your rebuild!

I can only echo those who have said to follow your heart. You have been such a helpful and active presence here. I hope that you'll drop in from time to time to enjoy the community and to let us know what's happening. No goodbye. Just farewell until next time.

Thanks Leslie, I'll definitely be dropping in. Too many wonderful people here.

Fear does crazy things to a person.

I wanted to give up riding quiet the few times: after hitting a dear (actually the dear hit me, ran into the bike) on the MC, many close calls with cars, and the number of fatal Mc collisions in the local news paper. There are many ways to die every day; can not let paranoia/fear drive a me/person to MC exile.

ATGATT on the other hand is taking a toll on my dirt bike riding days. Riding an ATV with less gear (but with a helmet) just seem more enjoyable these days. i know a day will come wheh i will feel like the OP.

Agree that we should fight the fear/paranoia, but sometimes it's impossible for some. Funny enough, fear of crashing played absolutely no part in my decision other than the drag of ATGATT which I came to hate.

Unlike a few posts, other than my first 2-3 years of riding, I've never felt afraid on a bike. Certainly no more or less than when driving a car. In many cases I feel safer riding than driving because I feel more maneuverable.

Having said that, I understand 100% those that think about crashing with the results being much worse on a bike.

Giving up my bike is based solely on the fun factor.

Making decisions is sometimes difficult for me..Be thankful you can feel good about your decision. I quit riding about three times a week..I also stopped going out to restaurants because they always bring me out a menu with all those darned choices..

Good luck to ya. :thumbsup:

I've had that debate about riding off and on for several years. I say do what your soul tells you to. Heck we are humans, we get to change our mind all the time so its not like you are going to run down some alley of no return. We moved out to the country which was great for roads to ride on but meant I was a long way from riding partners. So, the regular riding became annual trips with them or occasional rides. All other riding was solo or commuting to work (got to love the gas mileage on bikes). The commuting lead to larger more fully equipped bikes (cruise, radio, anti lock, full fairing) which changes the experience on smaller pleasure rides. It also lead to changing bikes about every 3-4 years to get a little thrill back (not for the wallet challenged). The ATGATT routine and discomfort lead to occasional cheating (always a jacket and helmet but not always riding pants/armor). If I had a garage I might have already moved to a sports car but the bike stores easier in the shed and gets better fuel mileage than most. So, for now I am still on the fence as I love the feel of riding and being out in the air and not in a can. Maybe a spin in a Miata is what I need....or maybe not....

good luck

Phil

Penforhire

Tangentially, the decision of Miata versus S2000 depends entirely on how you'll use the silly machine. I owned two S2000's and had seat time in an early Miata (auto-x racing). The S2000 is faster (in every way) and larger but not as friendly. The Miata can get crossed-up and recovered much more easily than the S2K.

Early models are twitchy at the limits of adhesion, not an issue for street driving, and can develop tranny issues (my 2001 was cracked open twice under warranty). Later models fixed most of this but the Miata is still a more balanced machine. Not as potent but still more neutral handling. Tires will be significantly cheaper for the Miata, both to buy and have longer life (for equivalent wear rating).

I first wanted an early Miata but I didn't fit the cockpit as well as the S2K. The S2K steering is non-adjustable but you can add seat risers if you're tall (I used Backyard Special's rails).

loboheritage

riding for 52 years. never commuted on a bike. only ride for pleasure and, except for long trips, usually don't ride but two or so times a week. never got tired of it. if I had commuted on a bike, would probably have gotten tired of it. no fear factor....flew fighters off carriers for 26 years, so bikes have never been seen particularly as a risk factor (although I certainly respect the danger aspect). when I no longer enjoy it, I will hang it up. I respect those who do so......

Tangentially, the decision of Miata versus S2000 depends entirely on how you'll use the silly machine. I owned two S2000's and had seat time in an early Miata (auto-x racing). The S2000 is faster (in every way) and larger but not as friendly. The Miata can get crossed-up and recovered much more easily than the S2K.

Early models are twitchy at the limits of adhesion, not an issue for street driving, and can develop tranny issues (my 2001 was cracked open twice under warranty). Later models fixed most of this but the Miata is still a more balanced machine. Not as potent but still more neutral handling. Tires will be significantly cheaper for the Miata, both to buy and have longer life (for equivalent wear rating).

I first wanted an early Miata but I didn't fit the cockpit as well as the S2K. The S2K steering is non-adjustable but you can add seat risers if you're tall (I used Backyard Special's rails).

I've driven both the Miata and the S2K, a student's S2K on the track during my instructing days, and the Miata on the street. The S2k is a flat our terrific car on the track, but felt like it would rely a little too much on its screaming top end for the street. I'm looking at the Miata under the "drive a slow car fast" philosophy for the street. As you, I also love the car's amazing balance. You can't go wrong with either one.

The other issue is price. I want to get a very low mileage relatively new car, so it puts the S2K out of my price range.

Here's to hoping you find a Miata to love as much as we love our S2K. It's a recent addition to the Toy Box, and it sure is great to just jump in and go. No suiting up required!

web.jpg

I feel better after reading this thread. Now retired and able to ride anytime it changes the dynamic- specifically squeezing everything into weekends. That being said, I don't feel the drive I had a few years ago to ride every chance I got. Many of the folks I rode with have moved on and that definitely impacts the experience. I ride alone for the most part now and do so on weekdays. The difference in traffic volume is remarkable. But the "need to ride" has diminished noticeably. Maybe I need a more exciting motorcycle?

I hope you stay around here and keep posting. I've always enjoyed reading your posts. Your thoughts about Miatas helped me decide to buy an 04 turbo. A wonderful car.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Here's to hoping you find a Miata to love as much as we love our S2K. It's a recent addition to the Toy Box, and it sure is great to just jump in and go. No suiting up required!

web.jpg

That is one great looking car. Looks like a blast.

Archived